ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal 2023

Amen. Dude is a vet and an athletic stud. He will 100% lead this team and Willis will give us vet leadership as well. The comments about winning 10ish games are ludicrous. Will this team take a little time meshing? I'm sure, but they're going to win alot of games.
Nobody including me said we would win 10ish games. You read words in peoples mouths. I gave a range of all the possibilities that would exist between winning 10 and 20 games.(With a possibly talented, but very young team.) And all you could see through your rose colored glasses is 10, not 20. I hope we win at least 14 games. You need to read with your mouth shut and stop jamming on anybody that doesn't believe like you do.

Nobody including me said we would win 10ish games. You read words in peoples mouths. I gave a range of all the possibilities that would exist between winning 10 and 20 games.(With a possibly talented, but very young team.) And all you could see through your rose colored glasses is 10, not 20. I hope we win at least 14 games. You need to read with your mouth shut and stop jamming on anybody that doesn't believe like you do.
I'm just saying that 10 being our floor is insanity.

I'm just saying that 10 being our floor is insanity.
I'm sure you and everybody else didn't believe our floor would be 5 last year.

Lot's of things can go wrong in a season. Injuries, things absolutely not gelling to begin with, bad shooting streak infecting the whole team for six or eight games, somebody being deemed ineligible for the second semester, the team having way too many turnovers for a spate, etc, etc. We are a delicate inexperienced team to start out. Hopefully none of that happens, but it is in the possibilities. Thus 10-20.

I'm sure you and everybody else didn't believe our floor would be 5 last year.

Lot's of things can go wrong in a season. Injuries, things absolutely not gelling to begin with, bad shooting streak infecting the whole team for six or eight games, somebody being deemed ineligible for the second semester, the team having way too many turnovers for a spate, etc, etc. We are a delicate inexperienced team to start out. Hopefully none of that happens, but it is in the possibilities. Thus 10-20.
I think most people had a feeling last year would be terrible. Maybe not 5? But I had us around 8-9 wins going in. It was a total throwaway.

We’ve had an influx of talent that we haven’t seen in quite some time. That alone gives me some hope that Konkol will get this turned around sooner rather than later.

Sure there are going to be some growing pains at the beginning of the season, but hopefully smart scheduling will take care of that. I know Konkol didn’t have much control over that last season but he should have had much more of a say this go around. Starting the season with 4-5 cupcakes would go a long way with getting this roster to gel.

Could this thing crash and burn again this season? There’s always a chance, but I think our chances of at least .500 have gone up drastically based on talent level alone.

Realistic goal, in my opinion is at least 16 wins. If things click sooner rather than later, we could potentially win more than that.

I hope I don’t have to come back and eat these words/predictions, but I’m pretty optimistic about this season.

We’ve had an influx of talent that we haven’t seen in quite some time. That alone gives me some hope that Konkol will get this turned around sooner rather than later.

Sure there are going to be some growing pains at the beginning of the season, but hopefully smart scheduling will take care of that. I know Konkol didn’t have much control over that last season but he should have had much more of a say this go around. Starting the season with 4-5 cupcakes would go a long way with getting this roster to gel.

Could this thing crash and burn again this season? There’s always a chance, but I think our chances of at least .500 have gone up drastically based on talent level alone.

Realistic goal, in my opinion is at least 16 wins. If things click sooner rather than later, we could potentially win more than that.

I hope I don’t have to come back and eat these words/predictions, but I’m pretty optimistic about this season.
Agree with all your words here, except I don't see ANY chance of our season "crashing and burning" unless we have a massive rash of injuries or something fluky happens (knock on wood)

give coach K a chance. coach K was 38-47 in his first 3 years st Duke.
Tom Landry didn’t have a winning season his first 5 years. He never would have made it in our “win at all cost” society. Steadily building athletic programs, teams, is a thing of the past.

Reactions: Okietch51
give coach K a chance. coach K was 38-47 in his first 3 years st Duke.
And the thing that turned Duke around for Coach K was convincing a couple of players to come to Duke like Danny Ferry and Mark Alarie. If Coach Konkol can find one of those players, and maybe Hall is really one of those guys, he will be in business. Konkol has a distinct disadvantage that the OG Coach K didn't have to face....open transfer and NIL. If a player explodes here, he will have $100k staring him in the face from Texas or Kansas in a heartbeat.

We have 2 seniors coming from LA Tech. Likely starting at the 1 and 2. The starting PG from LA Tech is most likely the best PG to wear at TU jersey in 15-20 years.

The 3-5 and depth are the unknowns. So it’s all going to be how well they buy in, play defense, and can rebound.
There’s a certain guy who was supposed to be selling car insurance but decided to forego that career path for professional basketball who would disagree with you.

I am enthused by the recruiting class.

I have no idea how they will gel together, or if we will have a winning season. But to put that in perspective, if we were returning most of the same players there would be no doubt: Losing 20 games. So uncertainty is a huge improvement from a very low point.

I know nobody expected great things last year, but the dismal showing was... bad. I don't know if it was a total lack of talent, some toxic players that didn't play well together, just plain bad coaching, or some blend of all three. There were legitimate questions as to whether TU made the right hire that you can't blame people for asking out loud.

I still don't know the answer to that question, but this recruiting class and off season maneuvering of Konkol builds some confidence. At least, he seems like he has a specific vision and can recruit the players he wants, which is more than we've seen in a long time. It's made me interested in watching the team next year to see how they do. I don't expect to be world beaters, but I do expect to see a different brand of basketball next year that will reveal a lot about the direction we are headed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I frankly couldn’t tell anything from what I saw Konkol run last year. The entire season was a mess including his offensive sets. His time at LaTech does give me hope.
Me either.

Unless we are talking about a next level X's and O's zen master (Kevin Stallings comes to mind), I am not very adept at watching a team and analyzing the brilliance (or lack thereof) of X's and O's playcalling. If a play fails and the set shot isn't open, it's hard for me to tell if it was a 'bad' playcall, or if the players just "couldn't execute". Or what the difference really is.

If a play results in an open set shot, it's a 'good' playcall in my book, regardless of the sophistication or philosophy behind it. If it fails, you can blame the players, sure, but it's the coaches job to find 'good' set plays that work for the players and matchups they have. Sometimes that is admittedly impossible.

I know our players last year were not very talented. But given that they were bad and had trouble executing anything, it is hard for me to judge the coach. He could be brilliant and extremely frustrated, or he could be just as bad as the players. I like to think a really good coach will find a way to win some games with crummy talent, but maybe that is expecting too much of a first year coach with all new players he's never worked with before.

This will be a telling season. After last year, I would be pretty happy going .500 with all new and mostly younger players.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
I agree with all of that, my biggest concern remains the lack of improvement throughout the season.

I get how losing a lot can demoralize a team, so the effort even subconsciously lessens. I hope this group starts the season with consistent hard effort and tough D, and builds on it throughout the season.

You cannot say with certainty that we will have a good season. If you are impressed with the recruiting then that is great. Basketball is a team sport. You still have to make them into a team. Last year I thought we might have a decent season after the guys learned a strategy with improvement throughout the year. That never happened. I had some glimmer of hope at the beginning few games of the season but was mortified that I was still watching that wreck at the end.

I want these guys to do well but until it is shown out there on the court, you aren’t getting my hopes up

Reactions: drboobay
Well that’s not encouraging. We had a coach once that made a pretty good living winning 20 per year on a CUSA schedule.
CUSA has improved since then in depth. Back then there was Memphis and then the field.

Thank you! Well said!!

The number of wins cannot be accurately predicted until we see all our players in school and the schedule released. I will watch practices and that will give us an idea but it depends a lot on the depth of scheduling. I for one hope we start with an easier schedule to give some confidence to our younger players as the NET rankings are worthless if you can't win early against strong opponents. There will be plenty of top opportunities within the conference later this year.

We we will have a bunch of CUSA schools on the schedule. That should help.
Couple of those CUSA schools had damn fine seasons, one of which made
the Final Four and returns everybody.
We might see that in some of the new teams the first season, but with
the Portal and NIL, those gaps will close pretty fast....You would expect
the boosters will be excited about their conference elevations, and will
loosen the purse strings for some NIL money....

This could end up being a pretty stable conference, save maybe SMU's
efforts to "go west"...

It will be fun watching some different teams...And the good news is,
most of them are closer to us geographically....Less travel for our away
games...

P.S. I guess all of that happens today....We have a bunch of new conf.
mates....

Last edited:
There are delusional UH folks that think the Big 12 is stable the next two years and OU and Texas are staying until 2025. Never a dull moment with Kitty High.

There are delusional UH folks that think the Big 12 is stable the next two years and OU and Texas are staying until 2025. Never a dull moment with Kitty High.
Someone better tell the SEC as OU and Texas are already part of the SEC schedules. Other than that I would say the Big12 is quite stable for the foreseeable future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT