ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal 2023

If you believe this board, all the guys who left us were forced out. How do we factor that in? If a coach takes a guy who transferred once, then the coach can't take away his scholly since the guy can't transfer again?
Wouldn't Griffin and Betson belie that?

As I read through this and we are discussing that the players all went to better programs, let's not forget that these are the same players that made our program BAD. Aside from Selebangue, none of the players that hit the portal would be starters on next year's team. Most of them had they stayed would be lucky to even hit the court except for the last 45 seconds of the game, but only then if it was a blowout one way or the other. Most likely only 1 or 2 would even be considered contributors to the team. Selebangue was a loss, all the others have already been recruited over. Konkol and Co. have a clear vision for the future of TU basketball. He/they want to bring back the TU basketball that many of us remember... Hays, Nolan, Tubby and Self b-ball.

As I read through this and we are discussing that the players all went to better programs, let's not forget that these are the same players that made our program BAD.
Actually my point was that they all went to worse schools. Confirming what we knew from watching them win 5 games, they were bad recruiting decisions who were at too high of a level.

Foreign Big Man-Even Lamar is ”getting it”.

Aleksa Lekic – C – 6-10 – 195 – Fr.-HS – Montenegro/KK Buducnost VOLI
Second player on the Cardinals' roster from Montenegro (Janko Bulajic) … Averaged nearly 7.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game as a member of the national team in the 2022 FIBA U18 European Championships … Guided his team to five National Youth Montenegrin Championship titles.

Next year's going to be really interesting. We have what, 2 guys who have ever contributed anything meaningful at the college level? A lot of opportunity for the other guys and we need 4 or 5 of them to step up.

This BBall squad is going to be very interesting. Backcourt should be better. Could it be any worse?

Last year the big man we had just didn’t play. Nothing. Could it be that bad this year?

We need a power forward, among other things.

10-12 wins? Possible. 14-16 wins? Folks step up. 16-18 wins? Things really fall into place.

We’ll see. We have one Scholarship left.

This BBall squad is going to be very interesting. Backcourt should be better. Could it be any worse?

Last year the big man we had just didn’t play. Nothing. Could it be that bad this year?

We need a power forward, among other things.

10-12 wins? Possible. 14-16 wins? Folks step up. 16-18 wins? Things really fall into place.

We’ll see. We have one Scholarship left.
10-12 wins possible? You are out of your damn mind.

Look at the turnaround Southern Miss had this past season and that is what I think is more possible. Not 10-12 freaking wins.

One good PF and TU is game on... I am not sure if that player is already on the team waiting for a breakout season or not, time will tell. As it stands currently I think we will win 50+% of our game. A strong PF and we could be looking at an 18 win season and building for a strong future! Keep up the good work Konkol and Staff!

One good PF and TU is game on... I am not sure if that player is already on the team waiting for a breakout season or not, time will tell. As it stands currently I think we will win 50+% of our game. A strong PF and we could be looking at an 18 win season and building for a strong future! Keep up the good work Konkol and Staff!
Does Hall fit the bill for a PF or is he more of a 3? Could he be a hybrid type PF?

Reactions: Oak775
I know we’re talking about Hall here but concerning the PF spot, I believe I heard Konkol say in an interview that Garcia was a forward and not a center. Although he said he could guard a number of positions. I imagine he’ll get a lot of time at the PF spot. He shot 43% from behind the arc last year.

I think we’ll see a lot of players at different positions, depending on the matchups. Big W might have a tough time at 6’5” guarding a big PF, although his athleticism will help. With him being able to shoot a respectable percentage from behind the arc, he should see time on the wing.

I’m really want to see how the practices turn out and we can see more of who and where players might end up. We do have a lot of versatility. A lot of youth but a few with experience.

I just wish I lived in Tulsa so I could attend some practices. I.I. We’re counting on you for some practice insight and play-by-play.

Last edited:
He can definitely play the four along with Williams and Hall if Keita is at the 5. I could also see small ball with a Barnes at the 4.
Keita played like 7 minutes last year and brings no offense at this point so he's probably another year or two away from being a 20+ minute guy. Not only do we have a team where only 2 guys have ever played together, but they're also the only 2 guys who have any real college playing time. The first third of the year could be pretty ugly as everyone figures out roles and we see who's going to step up. I foresee a very steep growth curve but 18+ wins seems like a pretty unrealistic goal to put on them. I say pretty much ignore the first 1/2 of the season and judge success based on the last half. I could see us being a really bad draw for a higher seeded team in the conference tournament.

Keita played like 7 minutes last year and brings no offense at this point so he's probably another year or two away from being a 20+ minute guy. Not only do we have a team where only 2 guys have ever played together, but they're also the only 2 guys who have any real college playing time. The first third of the year could be pretty ugly as everyone figures out roles and we see who's going to step up. I foresee a very steep growth curve but 18+ wins seems like a pretty unrealistic goal to put on them. I say pretty much ignore the first 1/2 of the season and judge success based on the last half. I could see us being a really bad draw for a higher seeded team in the conference tournament.
Hopefully the schedule to start the year is light so the team can figure it out. I don’t mind beating up on some small D1s early to help figure out roles and chemistry.

Hopefully the schedule to start the year is light so the team can figure it out. I don’t mind beating up on some small D1s early to help figure out roles and chemistry.
Amen! After last year, beating anyone will be a pleasure! I'm expecting some bumps in the road and will be pleasantly surprised if not.

I see 4 to 6 wins in non con & 6-10 in conf. Maybe we might string in a win or two more in non con if we play a really weak sched. My hope is a 14 win team.

I think you all are selling us WAY too short. 10 wins? Goodness guys.
He literally says 14 wins.....but even with that said. This is a BIG UNKNOWN team. Most of the players have never stepped on a college court or seen any meaningful minutes. They do not know the speed of the game yet. They will look lost out there at times. It will take time to gel together. There isnt even hold-overs to keep team chemistry intact. Chemistry will be built on the fly, game speed will be learned on the court. There will be a lot of growing pains this year. I do not think 14 is a bad guess. I think the talent is there for a lot more but there is too much going on for them to be a 20-25 win team.

Reactions: Clong83a
He literally says 14 wins.....but even with that said. This is a BIG UNKNOWN team. Most of the players have never stepped on a college court or seen any meaningful minutes. They do not know the speed of the game yet. They will look lost out there at times. It will take time to gel together. There isnt even hold-overs to keep team chemistry intact. Chemistry will be built on the fly, game speed will be learned on the court. There will be a lot of growing pains this year. I do not think 14 is a bad guess. I think the talent is there for a lot more but there is too much going on for them to be a 20-25 win team.
Look at Southern Miss this past season and a VERY comparable situation. I don't see us being an under .500 team.

I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but at least the stench of Haith's program is finally out the door.

Look at Southern Miss this past season and a VERY comparable situation. I don't see us being an under .500 team.

I'm sure there will be some growing pains, but at least the stench of Haith's program is finally out the door.
Yes it's very comparable:

So Miss 5/Sr, 6/Jr, & 2/So
Tulsa 2/Sr, 2/Jr, 2/So, 6/Fr

I'm talking in terms of talent upgrades. I think we could tell last season that Konkol runs good stuff, we just had ZERO talent to execute. I look forward to an easy schedule to start next season which will allow us to mesh.

Exactly, we will not have a leader on the court. No veteran presence. The 2 seniors we have...1 is a walk on and the other is first year here. So. Miss. started over with a lot of veteran leadership on the floor. A lot of minutes playing college ball. We have next to none. Except for two players none of them saw starter minutes.

Exactly, we will not have a leader on the court. No veteran presence. The 2 seniors we have...1 is a walk on and the other is first year here. So. Miss. started over with a lot of veteran leadership on the floor. A lot of minutes playing college ball. We have next to none. Except for two players none of them saw starter minutes.
We have 2 seniors coming from LA Tech. Likely starting at the 1 and 2. The starting PG from LA Tech is most likely the best PG to wear at TU jersey in 15-20 years.

The 3-5 and depth are the unknowns. So it’s all going to be how well they buy in, play defense, and can rebound.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Sr/Gr Williams & Willis. Wasn't including walk ons.(Seals)

I'm talking in terms of talent upgrades. I think we could tell last season that Konkol runs go stuff, we just had ZERO talent to execute. I look forward to an easy schedule to start next season which will allow us to mesh.
I frankly couldn’t tell anything from what I saw Konkol run last year. The entire season was a mess including his offensive sets. His time at LaTech does give me hope.

Reactions: Clong83a
Cobe Williams will absolutely be our leader. He's a stud.

Doesn't matter that it is his first year here. In fact, that may be a plus given last year. This guy will absolutely lead this team, I have no doubt.
Amen. Dude is a vet and an athletic stud. He will 100% lead this team and Willis will give us vet leadership as well. The comments about winning 10ish games are ludicrous. Will this team take a little time meshing? I'm sure, but they're going to win alot of games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT