ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal 2023

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
So the thread that was on here has been moved to the pay board. So I am starting another one.

Nakita has entered the portal

Reactions: eastcane
Correct. In full disclosure, I discussed it with the original poster, as I wanted to be able to add info from my discussions with portal prospects, etc. and highlight prospects that appear to be serious targets.
ITs fine. It doesnt bother me. I just wanted to get a Trailer Trash version over here on the free board. lol.

When the dust settles, I think Konkol keeps Selebangue, McWright, and Knight. I am not sure if any of the others fit his plans for next year. At first, I thought he might also keep Griffin, but after Griffin hit the portal that thought is long gone! Chukwo is still a question mark!

Reactions: loca2874
Saint Francis Brooklyn is going to drop athletics at the end of the spring season. Their whole team will be hitting the portal.

Josiah Harris looks like he's got decent stats for a RP, 6'8" F. 1.3 Blocks & 8.8 RBs per game. Looks like he's got some weight on him. That would be two St Francis guys we were recruiting if we looked at him.(Red Flash out of PA, M Thompson & Terriers out of Brooklyn)

We need two more open scholarships. I think Charles stays.
I'm OK with him staying. I think there is a lot of upside with him he just needs minutes and a full summer of some one on one agility training on his feet.
Two major areas where he needs to grow, and did progress some during the season:

Court vision....When he started the season, he didn't seem to grasp what was going
on around him in time to react to it....By the end of the season, I thought to showed
some improvement in that area...That's not an uncommon problem for "Bigs" from
smaller HS programs....

Agility-footwork: Good point by TU_BLA..Reaction time is obviously critical in
defending around the bucket...Early recognition and reaction time with your
feet is what it is all about in paint area defense....This was and still is a problem
for Charles....

This off-season will really be important to him, and the level of development he
achieves will determine his ability to make important contributions to the team...

Reactions: TU_BLA
Reactions: loca2874 and TU_BLA
Did you see the new coaching hires at St. Johns and Georgetown? Wow. The Big East just got a whole hell of a lot better. Although, Georgetown is going through the same situation as Tulsa. Zero talent, but their home-game attendance is beyond bad, which is tough to do in a busy city.
I was shocked to see Ed Cooley was leaving Providence for Georgetown. He had a lot of resources at PC and a city who backed them as their team. Problem with Georgetown is they're competing for fans with Maryland and Virginia and to a lesser extent, GW. Both schools are similar profiles. I don't think there was a previous connection to Georgetown so it seems weird to me unless someone is dropping a giant a$$ wad of cash for him to be at Georgetown. Cooley is also a born and raised Providence native.

I wonder if PC reaches out to Billy Donovan to see if he wants to come home. The other person that might be tempted is Bobby Hurley. Can you imagine a Psycho Hurley vs Psycho Hurley 2x every year? Could PC lure Jay Wright out of his 1 year retirement (I don't think so because Wright has been critical of NIL and the transfer portal).

Pitino at St. John's is not surprising and actually probably a really good fit but does he feel compelled to create a Louisville type atmosphere to make the Red Storm relevant again?

Did you see the new coaching hires at St. Johns and Georgetown? Wow. The Big East just got a whole hell of a lot better. Although, Georgetown is going through the same situation as Tulsa. Zero talent, but their home-game attendance is beyond bad, which is tough to do in a busy city.
Yes I saw those come across my alerts. Also The FDU coach just signed a 6 year deal with Iona.

• Wow
Reactions: Henry Kendall
Yes I saw those come across my alerts. Also The FDU coach just signed a 6 year deal with Iona.
Not shocking. Maybe FDU will go grab the St. Francis (NY) coach. And I expect one of the northeast mid-major schools to grab the coach at Merrimack who has seen them transition o D1 from D2 and finish in 2nd (last year) and a tie for 1st this year but wasn't eligible for the NCAA tournament due to still being in their transition period (stupid). Make it 1-2 yrs.

They must be paying a lot for them at Iona. Surprised Fairleigh coach didn't wait on somebody from a P5 or Big East school.

I kind of like these new-age coaches similar to the one at Iowa State. They coach at DIII and DII, before going to the holy grail of DI. Makes a lot of sense to me why they have success.

I kind of like these new-age coaches similar to the one at Iowa State. They coach at DIII and DII, before going to the holy grail of DI. Makes a lot of sense to me why they have success.
Progression. Gets them prepared for the next level. I agree

Reactions: TU_BLA
It is what it is. 99% of the guys who've left have been basically told their time here is over. From what I heard, he just wants to test the interest (cant blame him in these crazy portal times) and may pull his name out still. Konkol has a plan though.

There are reports that Paul mills has just told the team that he is taking the Wichita State job.
WSU offered it to Scott Sutton a few years ago and he still regrets not taking it. Word is he got part way on the drive and turned around.

I am not sure Seals has an eligibility left. If he does, he is basically a practice player like Urbanic.

So basically, it is down to McWright and Knight and the 3 signees. That should give us 7 or 8 schollies to use in the portal or jucos.

I hated to see Selebangue hit the portal.

I am not sure Seals has an eligibility left. If he does, he is basically a practice player like Urbanic.

So basically, it is down to McWright and Knight and the 3 signees. That should give us 7 or 8 schollies to use in the portal or jucos.

I hated to see Selebangue hit the portal.
Seals has eligibility. We have 5 scholarships. We already have taken up two with Willis & Cobe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT