ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

mmckell

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2016
My twitter account has been beaping non-stop with many D3 and D2 basketball players already hitting the transfer portal. What a strange world we live in today, but I digress.

Does anyone have thoughts on who will stay and who will go based on the current season we've had? I know I'm in the minority of this thought, but I would love to see Jarred Hall stay around and develop, but I'm guessing that's wishful thinking.

My twitter account has been beaping non-stop with many D3 and D2 basketball players already hitting the transfer portal. What a strange world we live in today, but I digress.

Does anyone have thoughts on who will stay and who will go based on the current season we've had? I know I'm in the minority of this thought, but I would love to see Jarred Hall stay around and develop, but I'm guessing that's wishful thinking.
That's a tough one. A skilled player who as a Freshman seemed to watch the game from afar. Things could remain the same or he might suddenly explode with greatness. He did have a lot of opportunities this year just like Reed did who took advantage of his (Reed's) minutes and continues to improve.

One thing on the transfer portal, our coaching staff has a ton more information about our players' relationships, academics, family involvement, goals, etc. There is so much that goes into "retention" currently.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
That's a tough one. A skilled player who as a Freshman seemed to watch the game from afar. Things could remain the same or he might suddenly explode with greatness. He did have a lot of opportunities this year just like Reed did who took advantage of his (Reed's) minutes and continues to improve.
The raw skill and athleticism for Hall is plain to see. What he never seemed to grasp in his minutes was the defensive philosophy. My guess is he was used to being able to make up poor positioning and footwork and just beating opponents with his athleticism. It's easy to do in HS where there might be a player approaching your height, but typically players like Hall are unicorns in HS basketball in a given area.

Not so much in college. He needs to watch a lot of film on his rotational responsibilities on defense, and he needs to work a lot on his defensive footwork. And knowing those two things seemed to get in his head on the offensive end and he never found a flow. It happens.

Those guys are always looking to move onto bigger programs. They make those announcements so coaches can reach out I think.

I have no knowledge or really much insight, but don't Carlous Williams and Keita both seem like guys we want to recruit over?

I like Carlous. He has the skills and athleticism we need but needs to be more consistent and at times his effort is lagging. He needs to go flat out every possession, especially when it comes to rebounding.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I like Carlous. He has the skills and athleticism we need but needs to be more consistent and at times his effort is lagging. He needs to go flat out every possession, especially when it comes to rebounding.
Right, we can score plenty of points with the guys we have, we need a couple guys to be those defensive stalwarts and rebound grabbers...a player like Eric Coley. Does all the dirty work, scores double digits because of the 2nd chance points he gets, etc.

He has had a lot of time to go flat out.... Konkol has given him lots of opportunities. At his size he should be a rebounding stud. Haggerty is getting more rebounds than he and he has 50% more turnovers than assists. He still has a few games to make that effort.

Interesting that the best of the recruiting class came in May rather than in November last year.

Interesting that the best of the recruiting class came in May rather than in November last year.
I suspect it will be the same this year and that’s due to the portal. You can only recruit to the available scholarships in the fall because you don’t want to have two openings and sign 8 recruits and have everyone wondering “will I be here next season?” In the spring you know who will be returning and who will be portaling as well as what new players are available. Recruiting is an entirely different animal than it was pre-portal. I would be happy if this spring equaled last spring with a serviceable big man thrown in.

I remember you not being impressed with Hall when he signed, despite his success in high school.

I remember you not being impressed with Hall when he signed, despite his success in high school.
That’s because the recruiting rankings that people were throwing out were kind of bogus. Most of the reputable recruiting services had him ranked slightly lower than the ones we were touting and the Mr Basketball contests from xyz state can be a popularity contest sometimes. Nothing on his HS game tape was a glaring contradiction either. When he came into training camp and didn’t get much press from media or posters I figured that he truly was overhyped.

I was more impressed by Christian Shumate coming out of HS and thought Haith squandered him. He’s certainly turned into a stud as an upperclassman (Although looking at his career FT percentages I get why a coach would be stingy with playtime)

Reactions: TUMU
My biggest concern with Carlous is his lack of rebounding. He fumbles away a lot of rebounds and he just doesn’t block out well & get in position to rebound. I think the positioning could be improved with coaching but I don’t know if good hands can be taught. I would recruit over him, but I don’t know if Konkol will.

There is no one on the roster that "needs" to go. We have 10 scholarship guys eligible to return and if all of them did plus a little more size, next year's team would have a chance to be something really special.

There is no one on the roster that "needs" to go. We have 10 scholarship guys eligible to return and if all of them did plus a little more size, next year's team would have a chance to be something really special.
I agree somewhat, but there are couple that we could upgrade a bit. Honestly, if we brought everyone back, I think we will still be pretty damn good just from maturity and internal growth.

I agree somewhat, but there are couple that we could upgrade a bit. Honestly, if we brought everyone back, I think we will still be pretty damn good just from maturity and internal growth.
One good game does not make the season. (especially when the other team goes deadly cold). We need talent upgrade period.

One good game does not make the season. (especially when the other team goes deadly cold). We need talent upgrade period.
Even without an upgrade we add smikle, willis and two open scholarships, losing only Williams. With another years experience and the freshman leap, we'd be decent. We will upgrade one and probably two spots. But we'd be ok with none.

Even without an upgrade we add smikle, willis and two open scholarships, losing only Williams. With another years experience and the freshman leap, we'd be decent. We will upgrade one and probably two spots. But we'd be ok with none.
Yes, decent! We are decent this year. #180 out of 351. Not sure about you but not good enough for me. Need talent. Archie ok but need another strong point guard. Need another 4 player and another big in addition to the freshman.. That is minimum required for me.

Reactions: T_Hans
Yes, decent! We are decent this year. #180 out of 351. Not sure about you but not good enough for me. Need talent. Archie ok but need another strong point guard. Need another 4 player and another big in addition to the freshman.. That is minimum required for me.
I generally agree but Reed is poised to make big strides next season with some good off season training.

No one has said it's good enough. Year 1 is honestly a throw away year and doesn't even count for me. We improved a ton this year and I see no reason why we won't continue to do so.

No one has said it's good enough. Year 1 is honestly a throw away year and doesn't even count for me. We improved a ton this year and I see no reason why we won't continue to do so.
This year was truly his first year with his players , im wanting to see how things go next season , that will tell us a lot more , only person I wouldn’t mind to see leave is Keita ( May have spelled that wrong ) he has the height , but that’s about it , I’d rather have a 6 foot 8 Martins Igbanu type post that can make good post moves and play good defense then a 7 footer that is clumsy and is no threat on offense or defense, however he is a freshman , if he could put on about 40 pounds and work on his post moves , he could have potential

This year was truly his first year with his players , im wanting to see how things go next season , that will tell us a lot more , only person I wouldn’t mind to see leave is Keita ( May have spelled that wrong ) he has the height , but that’s about it , I’d rather have a 6 foot 8 Martins Igbanu type post that can make good post moves and play good defense then a 7 footer that is clumsy and is no threat on offense or defense, however he is a freshman , if he could put on about 40 pounds and work on his post moves , he could have potential
Keita is ahead of where Jerome Jordan was at this point in their careers. Give it time, if he comes back, it's for good reason.

He's not a juco, he transferred in from St. John's and is a freshman.
We just don’t want another David Wishon or Big E. Height is nice , but it dosnt matter if you are no threat offensively or defensively . Regardless if he stays , we need to pick up another big man for depth anyway

Reactions: t-townpod
Your definition of decent is less than mine. We are average to a little below average this year, but it is great progress from whence we came. My opinion of decent is 18 or 19 wins against a better schedule. Which is likely where we could be with two additional players as well as Willis & Smikle. You have no vision for the abilities of this team with experience, and four additional players.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT