ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Portal Winners/Losers

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Focuses on Max Absmas and Conover and how the portal has treated them each differently after leaving ORU. He also touches on all the guys that left TU and how some have flourished and some not so much. Only Absmas and Texas are having a good season....almost all the rest went to teams who are having so so seasons at best.

The only players having a year that is any better at another institution is Nikita, and Knight. Knight we expected that might happen because he was a freshman. I'm proud of Nikita.

The other players require more complex analysis than this article went into, for instance with Griffin. He didn't get into analysis very deeply because it didn't suit the needs of his article.

Reactions: drboobay
The only players having a year that is any better at another institution is Nikita, and Knight. Knight we expected that might happen because he was a freshman. I'm proud of Nikita.

The other players require more complex analysis than this article went into, for instance with Griffin. He didn't get into analysis very deeply because it didn't suit the needs of his article.
No, he scratched the surface and just looked at raw stats and records. And I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Wright and Selabangue were about the only 2 players I had hoped might stay here. I think they both could have contributed this season. And I don't think they were part of the personality issues on the team that led Pritchard and some others to bolt. And you'd have to wonder how a 6'10" guy like Selabangue or a 7'4" guy like Conover would struggle to find minutes on really bad teams. Missouri is every bit as bad as we were last year. Arizona St is probably the worst team in the PAC 12 although you could make an argument for USC. And those are guys I'm not thinking were lured away by NIL money to those particular schools. Sure they probably got something but it's not like they were going out to find the highest bidder for their services.

. And those are guys I'm not thinking were lured away by NIL money to those particular schools. Sure they probably got something but it's not like they were going out to find the highest bidder for their services.

I think NIL was the only reason Selebangue left. Don't know about Conover.

I was waiting to see if Griffin and Betson were defensive players of the year in their conferences but no mention of that.

actually Bill, the ball bounced off his head....don't count.......no word yet if it knocked any sense into him.....
Probably a caused a concussion, because I'm sure he would be completely unaware, so he got to rest a few complete games. It always appeared that it was tough on him to only have half of a game to rest.

Reactions: bluegold70
Maybe Offensive player of the year if based on how Offensive their non-attempt at playing defense is to the voters.
I love when the people who were most vocal for Konkol keeping Griffin after he entered into the portal the first time are now willing to make fun of him. Wish you had as much sense before he helped create one of the worst seasons in program history.
(Not saying this was you Rusty)

I love when the people who were most vocal for Konkol keeping Griffin after he entered into the portal the first time are now willing to make fun of him. Wish you had as much sense before he helped create one of the worst seasons in program history.
No one of any consequence is making any comments contradicting what they were saying then. Quit making false generalized statements.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
Certainly wasn’t me, so thank you… Griffin drove me crazy no defense and was clearly a problem with team chemistry.

Certainly wasn’t me, so thank you… Griffin drove me crazy no defense and was clearly a problem with team chemistry.
I think many on this board were in favor of Konkol trying to keep Griffin to have someone with some experience staying on and hopefully being a leader. That never materialized and now in hindsight, completely overhauling the team in year 1 like we see in year 2 probably would have been a better approach. Tough spot to put a coach in coming in and he wants to clean house top to bottom...not a good way to endear yourself to the basketball die hards who develop crazy connections with players

Reactions: TUDog
I think many on this board were in favor of Konkol trying to keep Griffin to have someone with some experience staying on and hopefully being a leader. That never materialized and now in hindsight, completely overhauling the team in year 1 like we see in year 2 probably would have been a better approach. Tough spot to put a coach in coming in and he wants to clean house top to bottom...not a good way to endear yourself to the basketball die hards who develop crazy connections with players
Very true. This year is really year 1 to be honest.

No. Year 1 is year 1. You don’t get to exclude the worst season just because you made bad decisions.

No one made Konkol keep Griffin.
That's a little unfair. He wasn't given a full time to recruit. He was hired late into it. This is the first year he really got to go out and recruit his type of recuit.

That's a little unfair. He wasn't given a full time to recruit. He was hired late into it. This is the first year he really got to go out and recruit his type of recuit.
Manning came in and did it…and he was an assistant not a HC, and I believe he was actually hired later as well. He retained the last guys best recruits and brought in a future NBA player on short notice.

It’s not like Konkol wasn’t recruiting, he was just recruiting to a different situation (and evidently poorly considering both the kids he brought with him from the La Tech class were busts)

It’s not like Konkol wasn’t recruiting, he was just recruiting to a different situation (and evidently poorly considering both the kids he brought with him from the La Tech class were busts)
No they weren't both busts. You don't call an injury a bust. You call it delayed entry to the roster.

God you are so pro Manning and anti TU. And Manning wasn't competing against NIL. That's why Manning put a more senior reworked roster together. Only adding 7/8(Zedric King) & retaining 3 valuable players, two of which were upper classmen,(Tim Peete, Scottie Haralson, and young Rashad Smith) that Konkol didn't have available.

Wright & Woodard were retained from when Wojcik was here, and came not because of Manning, but because they decided to band together as players and come regardless of who was coach. Konkol would have loved to have them as recruits. Instead all he got was Chukwu.

Going against Nil handicapped Konkol. I imagine that influenced him when he decided to keep everyone and not rework the roster his first year, with a limited time period, and no Nil. The players that were left to recruit and any good,(late in the recruiting season in Konkol's first year) got Nil. How do you know if he was told he would have absolutely no NIL his first year, and then told he would have limited Nil this past year? That was probably the reality.

He had to rework his roster as a much younger team the 2nd year. Opposed to Manning who was able to retain better and more senior players from Wojcik, than Konkol had available from Haith. He was able to retain better recruits from Wojcik than Konkol had the opportunity to keep from Haith. Manning wasn't working against the almighty dollar to recruit. When Konkol reworked the roster, he had to get 10/11(Gibson) younger players not 7 older players.

Lot's of factors were in play, none of which you acknowledge, except the ones that look good for Manning, and the ones that look bad for Konkol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT