ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Having a cohesive team for a year or two would be cool. It would say a lot about the coach, and I think it could make a huge difference, given how crazy college basketball is year in and year out.

That said, the chance we have less than 5 transfers is small.
I imagine roster stability gives us a leg up early in the season.

Tulsa needs 1 big (6'10"+)-- an immediate starter most likely from the portal, Reed can be the 2nd and give quality minutes off the bench. We are set at the foward positions with Garcia, Hall, Barnes, and Carlous Williams. At guards we have Haggerty, Archie, Willis, and McWright, there we could use both a point (6'2" range) and a scorer (6'6" range).
Wouldn’t mind seeing McWright depart. He’s not the caliber we need. Same for Hall.

Could really use a couple more 2/3 guards and another big in addition to Smikle. Need someone who can rebound and play offense.

Reactions: t-townpod
At the moment we only have two scholarships. You are saying we need 3 players in addition to Smikle that committed awhile back.

I imagine at the minimum 1 player will enter the portal, maybe 2. I imagine Hall will be the first. We'll pick up 3 or 4 in the Portal/Juco/D2.
I am not familiar with Smikle,,,

Just find out Smikle is 6'9" x 235# power forward. That changes things... Still believe we need a legit center in the 6'11" range , and 2 guards -- a point and a shooter. With our 2 seniors gone and Radford a W/O, with Smikle we have 2 schollies. I think we will have 1 maybe 2 portals, that should give Konkol the slots to fill in the needed positions we must have for next year. This team has a good nucleus for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: chito_and_leon
Having a cohesive team for a year or two would be cool. It would say a lot about the coach, and I think it could make a huge difference, given how crazy college basketball is year in and year out.

That said, the chance we have less than 5 transfers is small.
5 transfers?

I would be shocked with that this season. Who are your 5?

Just find out Smikle is 6'9" x 235# power forward. That changes things... Still believe we need a legit center in the 6'11" range , and 2 guards -- a point and a shooter. With our 2 seniors gone and Radford a W/O, with Smikle we have 2 schollies. I think we will have 1 maybe 2 portals, that should give Konkol the slots to fill in the needed positions we must have for next year. This team has a good nucleus for next year.
Smikle sounds like a great get. Various sources list him at 220, 230, 235 or 250. Either way, from the pics on the internets, he looks big but not in a soft way, he looks strong. A year or two with real conditioning, he'll really be built like a brick $hithouse. Better yet, he seems enthusiastic to do the dirty work and mix it up. Someone described him as a "physical rebounder". Seems like the kind of guy who will pound a lot of AAC frontlines. He's averaging 20.5 ppg and 13.5 rpg on a bad team where he's probably one of the main focuses for other teams. He'll give us a pretty different different dimension underneath.

Reactions: dlsnid and TU Sepp
6’9 / 6’10 is serviceable. You don’t need a legit 7 footer. Even 6’8 with athleticism works well.

Swannegan, D’Andre Wright, Igbanu, Edogi…. All were effective…. You just need to be able to jump and bang inside.

6’9 / 6’10 is serviceable. You don’t need a legit 7 footer. Even 6’8 with athleticism works well.

Swannegan, D’Andre Wright, Igbanu, Edogi…. All were effective…. You just need to be able to jump and bang inside.
Igbanu is the only one on that list who I would really want to help a team win. The others were meh to me.

Reactions: Lumpuckeroo
Igbanu is the only one on that list who I would really want to help a team win. The others were meh to me.
Ironic considering he’s the only one that never played in an NCAA tournament during his career.

We don’t need someone new to run offense through every possession. We just need enough production from that spot and someone who can be a competent defender.

Ironic considering he’s the only one that never played in an NCAA tournament during his career.

We don’t need someone new to run offense through every possession. We just need enough production from that spot and someone who can be a competent defender.
Igbanu was CLEARLY the best player of that group, that's why I picked him.

Reactions: nevadanatural

I always loved watching Swannegan play , he played with so much heart, I would love to have a post player with that kind of intensity vs 7 footer with no basketball skill, I still remember the stare down between him and that Temple player at tip-off , think Swannegan growled at him and made the guy laugh 😂

Igbanu was CLEARLY the best player of that group, that's why I picked him.
He scored the most points and did so efficiently, but he also had the ball thrown to him the most. None of the other guys were really focal points of their offenses except Wright in his Freshman year.

He scored the most points and did so efficiently, but he also had the ball thrown to him the most. None of the other guys were really focal points of their offenses except Wright in his Freshman year.
He got to the point where he was pretty unstoppable inside. Those other guys didn't have even close to the same offensive ability.

100%. Nobody's going to bitch if Konkol lands a 5* scoring center but we don't have to have that to make another big step forward. We finished #296 on rebounding margin and #301 on offensive rebounds allowed.

I don't know how Bryce Thompson got a 5 star high school rating ,
but it never transcended to the college game . Another case of
"Don't believe in all the hype" , He's not even close to Haggerty .
He was a great HS player and Rod had all the connections and did a killer job of marketing him. Surely, he hit all the right camps and he played the AAU style exceptionally well.

He was a great HS player and Rod had all the connections and did a killer job of marketing him. Surely, he hit all the right camps and he played the AAU style exceptionally well.
He just over analyzed fundamentals and became mechanical with every move. It's like he needed to think each move out for the 5 steps needed instead of instinctively moving. Yes, he out practiced every player and is a super great kid and is from one of my favorite families. I got worried when I saw him narrowing down his list of schools with big fancy Twitter posts that the 5-star rating had gotten to him. 17 y/o kids are so susceptible to the instant fame that often flames out unfortunately. This is truly a case where a lower D-1 school would have been a confidence builder for a couple of years rather that get destroyed at Kansas as a Freshman. I hope he gets a great degree as he will be successful in any career he chooses, but basketball is very iffy at this point.

I’m hoping Archie continues to rely on his basketball IQ. He seemed to be overthinking things the last five or so games rather than just playing basketball which he does better than most people I’ve seen.
He and Reed both shot the ball worse in the last games.

Reactions: t-townpod
I thought Bryce Thompson would bust out similar to Quinton Grimes after leaving KU, but he never developed a consistent stroke. He could have stayed at KU and worked with their video coordinator/ shooting coach, Brady Morningstar. Brady was one of the better shooters of KU and surely could have helped Bryce develop a good stroke. Such a waste of good talent.

I’m hoping Archie continues to rely on his basketball IQ. He seemed to be over
thinking things the last five or so games rather than just playing basketball which
he does better than most people I’ve seen.
Yes...I'm afraid he was the victim of TMC (over coaching) on the offensive end...He
came into the program with a variety of shots, including a good shot from beyond
the arc, had a good handle, and was our best passing guard...Gradually, you could
see that he was losing confidence in what he was doing....One of his favorite plays
was a drive down the left side with an 8 to 10 ft. shot off the glass...The threat of
that let him create enough room for his 3 pointer which he shot quite well...Soon
However, we were running very few plays that the ball didn't end up with either
Cobe or Haggerty late in the shot clock, and they tried to generate something off
of the drive, or in Cobe's case, shoot the 3...The other players on the floor, with the
sometimes exception of Garcia, didn't get as many chances to score....Or even be
involved in the offense...

Hopefully, he will respond favorably to being one of the important returnees at
guard, and will get to play in a more versatile offense, that possibly will include an
inside threat....That would help all of the guards a lot....

Last edited:
guard, and will get to play in a more versatile offense, that possibly will include an

Yes...I'm afraid he was the victim of TMC (over coaching) on the offensive end...He
came into the program with a variety of shots, including a good shot from beyond
the arc, had a good handle, and was our best passing guard...Gradually, you could
see that he was losing confidence in what he was doing....One of his favorite plays
was a drive down the left side with an 8 to 10 ft. shot off the glass...The threat of
that let him create enough room for his 3 pointer which he shot quite well...Soon
However, we were running very few plays that the ball didn't end up with either
Cobe or Haggerty late in the shot clock, and they tried to generate something off
of the drive, or in Cobe's case, shoot the 3...The other players on the floor, with the
sometimes exception of Garcia, didn't get as many chances to score....

Konkol mentioned him and Reed being young and still learning the game every time their names were brought up in an interview. I understood it at first but when dudes have yet another great game 2/3 through the season, you can skip that.
It got awkward.

Granted, he was always complimentary but seemed to have an issue with Archie’s “free play”. Which, I thought was the best part of his game.
His confidence did seem to start to waiver late in the season. Then again, maybe he was fighting a minor but impactful injury.

Archie is a player I think you have let play his game more so than not. He and PJ could be a deadly duo if they’re both allowed to do their thing.

If you told me we would lose one of the two between Archie and Haggerty, I would probably say I wanted to keep Archie. I know it’s blasphemous….I just have a good feeling about the kid. He has sky high efficiency. I love his game.

I don’t particularly love relying on the refs to blow their whistles every game and that’s essential to Haggerty’s play style. Drawing fouls is a tremendous and valuable skill, but in a must win scenario it’s risky. There were definitely a couple games this season (UALR comes to mind) where the refs swallowed their whistles and it hurt us…. It’s part of the reason why I thin k we had such a poor road record this year.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Konkol mentioned him and Reed being young and still learning the game every time their names were brought up in an interview. I understood it at first but when dudes have yet another great game 2/3 through the season, you can skip that.
It got awkward.

Granted, he was always complimentary but seemed to have an issue with Archie’s “free play”. Which, I thought was the best part of his game.
His confidence did seem to start to waiver late in the season. Then again, maybe he was fighting a minor but impactful injury.

Archie is a player I think you have let play his game more so than not. He and PJ could be a deadly duo if they’re both allowed to do their thing.
I'm hoping he got worn down by the rigors of being a college freshman. Harder classes, longer BB season, more games, tougher conditioning, etc., etc. I don't have any insight but that seems pretty common.

If Bill Self kept expressing this same problem with Swanson & Reed then he might have shut down their free play & killed our best team ever.

Konkol needs to learn to roll with it and let this hang up go. Otherwise Archie is going to shut down &/or transfer, and we will never see the same player on our court again, whether he stays or not. I may sound a bit serious here, but this is a big concern in my book. I wish I had Konkol in front of me right now, and I knew I could say this, and he really listen to it.

If Bill Self kept expressing this same problem with Swanson & Reed then he might have shut down their free play & killed our best team ever.

Konkol needs to learn to roll with it and let this hang up go. Otherwise Archie is going to shut down &/or transfer, and we will never see the same player on our court again, whether he stays or not. I may sound a bit serious here, but this is a big concern in my book. I wish I had Konkol in front of me right now, and I knew I could say this, and he really listen to it.
Cough CoughdougwojickCough Cough. Sorry, got a little something stuck in my throat.

If you told me we would lose one of the two between Archie and Haggerty, I would probably say I wanted to keep Archie. I know it’s blasphemous….I just have a good feeling about the kid. He has sky high efficiency. I love his game.

I don’t particularly love relying on the refs to blow their whistles every game and that’s essential to Haggerty’s play style. Drawing fouls is a tremendous and valuable skill, but in a must win scenario it’s risky. There were definitely a couple games this season (UALR comes to mind) where the refs swallowed their whistles and it hurt us…. It’s part of the reason why I thin k we had such a poor road record this year.
I assume you stopped watching games halfway through the season?

If you removed every single FT from Haggerty's line, he still would have finished 7th in the conference in scoring.

I assume you stopped watching games halfway through the season?

If you removed every single FT from Haggerty's line, he still would have finished 7th in the conference in scoring.
Astro is nutilicious. Yeah that was definitely our problem on the road.:rolleyes:

This is truly one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. Goodness.

I bet you don't like SGA's game either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT