ADVERTISEMENT

US Debt Service Costs

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Total U.S. debt will be $35T at the end of this year. Current debt service costs on obligations coming due is roughly 5%. We have a large amount of debt coming due in the next 12 months. Do the math

$35T x .5% = $1.75T in debt service. This is assuming we can keep debt service at 5% which is hardly a guarantee due to the extremely large amount of treasuries which have to be sold. The Federal Reserves is about the only buyer of U.S. Treasuries at this point. Just printed money. It’s a shell game.

At what point will our political leaders address this issue.? What point will the media cover this issue?. What point will the American people pay attention? Assume the answer to all the above is “when everything crashes and we can’t pay entitlements or we continue to print money and inflation hits 20-30% (maybe higher).

Last edited:
Total U.S. debt will be $35T at the end of this year. Current debt service costs on obligations coming due is roughly 5%. We have a large amount of debt coming due in the next 12 months. Do the math

$35T x .5% = $1.75T in debt service. This is assuming we can keep debt service at 5% which is hardly a guarantee due to the extremely large amount of treasuries which have to be sold. The Federal Reserves is about the only buyer of U.S. Treasuries at this point. Just printed money. It’s a shell game.

At what point will our political leaders address this issue.? What point will the media cover this issue?. What point will the American people pay attention? Assume the answer to all the above is “when everything crashes and we can’t pay entitlements or we continue to print money and inflation hits 20-30% (maybe higher).
Maybe we should try increasing the deficit with more tax breaks to the wealthy (again), or impose some inflationary tarifs, or drop interest rates by executive fiat….

All Trump campaign promises.

Reactions: watu05
Maybe we should try increasing the deficit with more tax breaks to the wealthy (again), or impose some inflationary tarifs, or drop interest rates by executive fiat….

All Trump campaign promises.
You mean like billions in green energy tax breaks and subsidies to wealthy americans through the "inflation" reduction act, just imposed new higher tariffs on chinese steel and aluminum, or dropping interest rates on wealthy earners by cancelling student debt by executive fiat?..

You mean like billions in green energy tax breaks and subsidies to wealthy americans through the "inflation" reduction act, just imposed new higher tariffs on chinese steel and aluminum, or dropping interest rates on wealthy earners by cancelling student debt by executive fiat?..
Aston is simply deflecting because he doesn’t like the question. Trump isn’t the President. We need leadership today. This issue will have grave consequences. Aston response sounds a lot like Biden. Ignore the crisis and change the subject to Trump is bad. Much like the Dems and Pubs, he provides zero solutions.

Aston is simply deflecting because he doesn’t like the question. Trump isn’t the President. We need leadership today. This issue will have grave consequences. Aston response sounds a lot like Biden. Ignore the crisis and change the subject to Trump is bad. Much like the Dems and Pubs, he provides zero solutions.
My point was, the solution is not going to come from either party.

BTW it’s not my job to propose solutions for the national debt / deficit.

My point was, the solution is not going to come from either party.

BTW it’s not my job to propose solutions for the national debt / deficit.
Your response annoyed me because it’s the same answer (or lack thereof) we get from those in DC. Deflect the question and change the subject to how bad the other guys are because we don’t want to deal with real problems.

You’re correct it’s not your job to come up with solutions. However, this is a message board. We discuss solutions to our current issues everyday. Using that excuse when you either don’t want to discuss solutions or have none is extremely weak considering the nature of this board and our years and years of discussing solutions to the problems we face.

Your response annoyed me because it’s the same answer (or lack thereof) we get from those in DC. Deflect the question and change the subject to how bad the other guys are because we don’t want to deal with real problems.

You’re correct it’s not your job to come up with solutions. However, this is a message board. We discuss solutions to our current issues everyday. Using that excuse when you either don’t want to discuss solutions or have none is extremely weak considering the nature of this board and our years and years of discussing solutions to the problems we face.
I simply don’t think 10 people with little background in macro economics / complex global finance will be able to solve the entire government budget problem which touches hundreds of different departments and subdepartments.

Last edited:
I simply don’t think 10 people with little background in macro economics / complex finance will be able to solve the entire government budget problem which touches hundreds of different departments and subdepartments.
issue each congressman a budget credit card with a limit. when they reach their limit they can't vote for more spending.

I simply don’t think 10 people with little background in macro economics / complex finance will be able to solve the entire government budget problem which touches hundreds of different departments and subdepartments.
So from here on out you’re going to refrain from discussing topics which you either cant solve due to lack of knowledge or sophistication. This should be interesting going forward.

Reactions: HuffyCane
So from here on out you’re going to refrain from discussing topics which you either cant solve due to lack of knowledge or sophistication. This should be interesting going forward.
You asked the question at what point will people wake up about the issue…. You just aren’t willing to accept the real answer. It is the same answer to the question “when will people realize that humanity wasn’t meant to have weapons powerful enough to destroy itself?”

Answer “after it’s already too late”

You’re preaching about an economic “Sword of Damocles” What I don’t understand is why this is your pet phobia when there are so many others you could subscribe to? Global Warming, Nuclear War, Plagues, swarms of locusts…. All are valid(ish)…. None will be solved by any of us.

You asked the question at what point will people wake up about the issue…. You just aren’t willing to accept the real answer. It is the same answer to the question “when will people realize that humanity wasn’t meant to have weapons powerful enough to destroy itself?”

Answer “after it’s already too late”

You’re preaching about an economic “Sword of Damocles” What I don’t understand is why this is your pet phobia when there are so many others you could subscribe to? Global Warming, Nuclear War, Plagues, swarms of locusts…. All are valid(ish)…. None will be solved by any of us.
Maybe because this issue is 100% solvable by the U.S. and the U.S. alone. The others you mentioned are not. Stark difference. Imagine if the financial cliff we’re approaching received 1/10th of the attention from the Admin as global warming. Hell…at this point I would consider the simple mention of it a victory. Where the hell is Yellen?

Maybe because this issue is 100% solvable by the U.S. and the U.S. alone. The others you mentioned are not. Stark difference. Imagine if the financial cliff we’re approaching received 1/10th of the attention from the Admin as global warming. Hell…at this point I would consider the simple mention of it a victory. Where the hell is Yellen?
Sad thing is that 40% of the GDP is dependant on government spending...

I concede that we currently have more influence in our debt than other entities, but I do not necessarily agree that the problem is entirely within our control nor do I agree that I can assume the problem is definitively solvable. At least I would say that solving it might be so incredibly difficult that it’s functionally impossible for our inertially stagnant governmental system.

Other powerful countries have interests of their own and their pursuit of prosperity might come at the detriment of ours.

What if the only way to truly solve this might not be through austerity measures? Cutbacks are essentially the only proposals that are ever put forward when talking about this with conservatives. There is a real possibility that solving the problem might necessitate the US engaging in a much more globally aggressive economic and military policy. (Akin to what we’re seeing from Russia / China)

The discussion you and Huffy are continually having reminds me of grandparents telling their grandchildren that if they would only stop buying lattes and avocado toast they could have 2.5 kids and a 4 bedroom home next to the beach. That lifestyle is not out of reach because they’re having Avacado toast.

Last edited:
Never. Political leaders will never address the issue. It is political career suicide to even bring it up.

Well, maybe they'll bring it up if the dollar isn't the global reserve currency. If/when that happens we will be in a world of hurt.

Well, maybe they'll bring it up if the dollar isn't the global reserve currency. If/when that happens we will be in a world of hurt.
I believe that is their goal.

Many members of the Obama/Biden inner circle believe that American economic might is Imperial Colonialism at its worst.

Anyone care to recall what happened the last time someone actually decided to tackle the deficit?

In 93 Clinton and his economic advisers combined tax increases and spending cuts to put a dent in debt leftover from the Reagan / Bush spending sprees. 0 Republicans voted for the bill which relied on Gore’s tiebreaker in the Senate to pass. Then in the following midterms and general election cycles the Republicans in Congress used the gripes about tax hikes and the fact that the deficit reduction was had a delayed function (not recoverable until after Clinton’s first term) to skewer the congressional leadership and take back control of Congress… only to lower the Capital Gains tax (and government revenues) a few years later and install the Bush 2.0 tax cuts (spending) a few years after that.

Maybe it should be Republicans’ turn to raise taxes + revenues and cut entitlements. I’m sure it will turn out incredibly well for them. No landmines to step on whatsoever.

Reactions: watu05
Anyone care to recall what happened the last time someone actually decided to tackle the deficit?

In 93 Clinton and his economic advisers combined tax increases and spending cuts to put a dent in debt leftover from the Reagan / Bush spending sprees. 0 Republicans voted for the bill which relied on Gore’s tiebreaker in the Senate to pass. Then in the following midterms and general election cycles the Republicans in Congress used the gripes about tax hikes and the fact that the deficit reduction was had a delayed function (not recoverable until after Clinton’s first term) to skewer the congressional leadership and take back control of Congress… only to lower the Capital Gains tax (and government revenues) a few years later and install the Bush 2.0 tax cuts (spending) a few years after that.

Maybe it should be Republicans’ turn to raise taxes + revenues and cut entitlements. I’m sure it will turn out incredibly well for them. No landmines to step on whatsoever.
As you stated in your example, any significant action must be spearheaded by the President. Biden must know the dire consequences were in as far as debt service going forward (well…I’m sure he has no clue but someone in his inner circle does). Only crickets. He must start talking about this now. Time is not on our side.

Clinton left Dubya with a budget surplus and Bush's immediate reaction was a tax reduction to "give the surplus back to the voters". IOW a federal budget surplus as an actually bad and had to be corrected by lowering taxes.

Got a problem, lower taxes. Then complain about budget deficits. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Clinton left Dubya with a budget surplus and Bush's immediate reaction was a tax reduction to "give the surplus back to the voters". IOW a federal budget surplus as an actually bad and had to be corrected by lowering taxes.

Got a problem, lower taxes. Then complain about budget deficits. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Stop. You know full well that surplus was created due to the tech bubble. Which promptly burst as Clinton was leaving office resulting in an economic crisis. I really liked Clinton btw. Would love to have that type of centrist President today. He did a lot of good things.

Stop. You know full well that surplus was created due to the tech bubble. Which promptly burst as Clinton was leaving office resulting in an economic crisis. I really liked Clinton btw. Would love to have that type of centrist President today. He did a lot of good things.
I think many of the modifications Clinton made to the tax code as well as cuts made the surplus possible. Without those you wouldn’t have seen it. And the tech bubble likely would have been stifled by high interest rates (that was the entire reason Clinton went after the changes in the first place)

As you stated in your example, any significant action must be spearheaded by the President. Biden must know the dire consequences were in as far as debt service going forward (well…I’m sure he has no clue but someone in his inner circle does). Only crickets. He must start talking about this now. Time is not on our side.
How would he get something like that passed? Remember, zero republicans voted for Clinton’s changes. And when the Democrats passed it by the skin of their teeth they paid for it in subsequent election cycles.

Why would they try that again just to be abused by an opposing party that hasn’t shown any degree of trustworthiness or willingness to compromise to this point?

Again…. Let a Republican Congress do their jobs…. And by that I don’t mean cutting taxes like they would inevitably propose.

I assume you will attack Trump for this if it has not been done by Biden, and Trump is reelected and not attending to it either. Because that is what I assume will happen.

I would take Clinton in a New York Minute(with policy success that he had then) over Biden & Trump. I'd take any president we've had since Reagan with the policy success they had over Trump & Biden. I believe Biden would have been a better president before Trump/before pressure he has received from the extreme left of his party. Neither one of them(Trump and Biden) have been strong enough leaders to take us through covid the way we needed to be. But Trump and his followers made that job much more difficult for anyone following Trump.

I assume you will attack Trump for this if it has not been done by Biden, and Trump is reelected and not attending to it either. Because that is what I assume will happen.

I would take Clinton in a New York Minute(with policy success that he had then) over Biden & Trump. I'd take any president we've had since Reagan with the policy success they had over Trump & Biden. I believe Biden would have been a better president before Trump/before pressure he has received from the extreme left of his party. Neither one of them(Trump and Biden) have been strong enough leaders to take us through covid the way we needed to be. But Trump and his followers made that job much more difficult for anyone following Trump.
I will attack any President who does not address our debt crisis. Don’t care if it’s a Pub or Dem. This is beyond party of politics. This is our future.

I would take Clinton as well.

I think many of the modifications Clinton made to the tax code as well as cuts made the surplus possible. Without those you wouldn’t have seen it. And the tech bubble likely would have been stifled by high interest rates (that was the entire reason Clinton went after the changes in the first place)
I don’t blame Clinton for the Tech bubble or resulting recession. Lots of overly bullish people pouring billions into new technologies causing valuations and expansion which weren’t supported by market fundamentals. Going by memory but wasn’t it Alan Greenspan who went on for months warning about the impending Tech crash. No one listened of course until the bottom fell out. The recession of course followed.

Spending cuts were largely the resulting peace dividend from the break up of the USSR under Reagan. The boogie man was now gone defense cuts were justified.

I don’t blame Clinton for the Tech bubble or resulting recession. Lots of overly bullish people pouring billions into new technologies causing valuations and expansion which weren’t supported by market fundamentals. Going by memory but wasn’t it Alan Greenspan who went on for months warning about the impending Tech crash. No one listened of course until the bottom fell out. The recession of course followed.

Spending cuts were largely the resulting peace dividend from the break up of the USSR under Reagan. The boogie man was now gone defense cuts were justified.
It’s pretty simple really. With little to do with government.

The mid to late 1990s saw historically low energy prices with the greatest single market place innovation since the steam engine. Economic productivity and efficiency rose to unheard of levels while operating costs were at historic lows. The economic gains gave us unheard of tax receipts. Government had nothing or very little to with the success in the 1990s.

If you think Biden had nothing to do with this inflation, then you must believe that Clinton had nothing to do with the surplus.

Last edited:
Reactions: noble cane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT