ADVERTISEMENT

New CFB Rules

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
So CFB will be adding a 2-minute warning, tablets on the sidelines/halftime, and helmet communications with the QB. Wonder if Monty would have somehow still screwed up calling plays in time with helmet comms? I know in the NFL the comms turn off at a certain point left on the play clock, so there's a good chance Monty would have still wasted 5 TOs a game being indecisive about plays.

And let's talk about why this is happening....
The 2 minute warning is to give teams like Texas an extra stoppage and TO to be able to come back and beat Washington. This is 100% a reaction. And also for ESPN and Fox to milk more $ out of advertisers. If they're not adopting the NFL timing rules in the last 2 minutes to go along with this, it's sort of just going to make games, especially close games, even longer than the near 4 hours they already are. The 2nd one is just joining the modern world. Why tablets weren't allowed before is just puzzling.

The last one...is to avoid another situation of a coach sending scouts to games to steal signs and tendencies.

They are negotiating the playoff pay out. It guarantees additional availabilities that the networks can count on in their calculations. Just like the overtime rules adopted a few years ago about “player safety” that actually increased commercial availability by at least two spots.

I doubt the helmet thing gets solved. Too far apart.

I’m all for helmet communication. Unless you’re running a hurry up offense the players should huddle, get the play and the QB can call an audible if the coach makes a change. No need for everyone to stare at the sidelines for 30 seconds.

Reactions: astonmartin708
Whether it’s to run down the clock for strategic purposes or a desire to discern misalignment, weaknesses or tendencies of individual players, schools that want to take their time snapping will still do so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT