ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal 2023

He’s not good enough to start. Look at his two years at Charlotte. Juco stats are just meh too. Maybe he plays 15 min off the bench, but shouldn’t be more than that.
Keep in mind that we're literally recruiting an entirely new team, we need guys to fill every role. We'd all like 12 new guys who are high level starters, but that's not realistic and you can't have 12 guys playing 30 minutes a game anyway. You need the guys to fill the 6 - 9 slots. A guy who can fill that slot well is a good recruit. He played that role well in juco, he could come in for 10 - 20 minutes and often score a point per minute, when he was on, he was a scoring machine for short minutes. Winning the 2nd team 15 min/game would be huge for us. I'd say judge him in that light. If the idea is that he'll give us 30 mpg as a starter, we have a problem but I doubt that's the role.

I will say, we could Still use another big capable of playing 20 - 25 minutes per game.…even if it’s because of foul trouble or injury to someone else. Haith tried to get by with 2 legit big men and it cost us a tourney appearance with 8 seniors during his second season.
Definitely need another big. Without question. Starting quality.

Have any of the guys who left ended up at a better school? I haven't followed super carefully but it seems like they're all finding more appropriate homes at lower level schools.
Pritchard- C Michigan
Griffin- Wyoming
Betson- Sacramento St
Nikita- Monmouth
Selebangue- Arizona St
Dalger- St Louis
Knight- Lamar

Embry- Probably retiring f/ college ball.
Urbancic- Maybe moving to a lower division?
Chukwu- ?
SGC- ?

Reactions: loca2874
Have any of the guys who left ended up at a better school? I haven't followed super carefully but it seems like they're all finding more appropriate homes at lower level schools.

If you believe KenPom all of them that have found a home have gone to a higher rated team except Pritchard and Knight

Reactions: astonmartin708
If you believe KenPom all of them that have found a home have gone to a higher rated team except Pritchard and Knight
Yeah but the average 7th grade rec team was better than us last year. I was thinking "better" in more of a metaphysical sense, quality of program etc., not quality of last year's team. That's kind of a circular point anyway. We were bad in part bc we had bad players, so with each one who enters the portal, our Ken Pom should go up and the place they go will probably go down. They go to a "better" KenPom school but as soon as they sign, they're at a worse KenPom.

I'm not certain that history matters any longer with regard to quality of program minus the few "blue bloods." NIL and free agency (portal) can transform any team that has a good coach and rich booster that can assemble the best team money can buy.

So Sacramento State & Monmouth are now steps up?! Realistically, Selebangue did move up. You could argue Wyoming & St Louis are lateral moves (at best). All the other moves are steps down.

However, a move to any program that leads to a better fit for any player is a step up.

Reactions: 918Golden
St Louis is almost lateral.
vOMmge0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA and el duran
Last 20 years 4 NCAA bids, 3 NIT bids.
Tulsa 2 NCAA bids, 3 NIT bids.

They got to the second round on 3 of those NCAA bids, we never got beyond the first round.

Yeah we pull out ahead if you go 30 or 40 years back, but these kids are tween 18 & 22. That's purty close to lateral.(especially in their eyes)

Show me, show me, show me,
(How you do that trick.)

So this is one of the very early Simpsons' episodes that sort of entrenched it into mainstream TV and this scene/line is one of the very best in 35 years of the Simpsons. If you've never seen it, search for the episode titled "Bart the General" (season 1, episode 5). There is a subtle scene in the lead up to this that is one of the more hilarious bits. I won't spoil it but this episode still makes me laugh out loud.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Last 20 years 4 NCAA bids, 3 NIT bids.
Tulsa 2 NCAA bids, 3 NIT bids.

They got to the second round on 3 of those NCAA bids, we never got beyond the first round.

Yeah we pull out ahead if you go 30 or 40 years back, but these kids are tween 18 & 22. That's purty close to lateral.(especially in their eyes)

Show me, show me, show me,
(How you do that trick.)
Yeah but they got lucky and overperformed. We've been dragged down by bad administration and have significantly underperformed our true level. Our rightful place is much better than them. :)

So Sacramento State & Monmouth are now steps up?! Realistically, Selebangue did move up. You could argue Wyoming & St Louis are lateral moves (at best). All the other moves are steps down.

However, a move to any program that leads to a better fit for any player is a step up.
These kids don't have a clue in knowing if a better "fit" is in store for them . They
just want their ego stroked by getting recruited again and being told how great they
are and not liking being on a losing team . Tulsa desperately needs to find players who
have the vision and fortitude to turn a losing program around and not a bunch of "one &
dones" who don't bolt at the first sign of distress .

He still has you blocked, homie. 😉
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, am I right? :)

Let me guess, ad hominem 3rd grade level insult followed by a response that is either ridiculously simplistic, completely uninformed or misses the point?

Last edited:
These kids don't have a clue in knowing if a better "fit" is in store for them . They
just want their ego stroked by getting recruited again and being told how great they
are and not liking being on a losing team . Tulsa desperately needs to find players who
have the vision and fortitude to turn a losing program around and not a bunch of "one &
Hey, I was just trying to end the post with a positive comment!

Not true at all. Transfer visits are much different than high school visits. Transfers have a lot better idea of what they’re looking for. Fit is important

Reactions: TU_BLA
Not true at all. Transfer visits are much different than high school visits. Transfers have a lot better idea of what they’re looking for. Fit is important
Agreed. I think HS kids get sucked in when they're wow'd by the process, coach, facilities and actually very little about their fit within a program in terms of style of play. How many kids from P5 programs do we have transferring in? 2 or 3 right? Coaches have to have a clear vision of what is going on. I think Haith used to have that vision and somewhere along the way he lost it or at least couldn't figure out how to implement it here the way he needed to and unfortunately just wanting to win games is not enough of a goal or vision to have a successful program. I think Konkol and Co. have an understanding of what they're trying to build and the types of players that they need to accomplish it, but now they have to convince those players that this is a place where they will succeed on the court and in the classroom and subsequently in life after basketball.

I think Konkol and Co. have an understanding of what they're trying to
build and the types of players that they need to accomplish it, but now
they have to convince those players that this is a place where they will
succeed on the court and in the classroom and subsequently in life after
basketball.
Very well said....To me, that is the ideal...The fabric of that ideal has
been torn by NIL, and in some cases torn quite badly...Still, I would bet
as you do that Konkol&Co. make it as big a part of the process as they
possibly can...

Way too many young men who enter college basketball programs are
from fatherless homes....Really good college basketball coaching staffs
in recognition of this, teach these young men a lot more than basketball....

I strongly suspect Konkol&Co. is such a staff....

Reactions: caneks and TU Sepp
Very well said....To me, that is the ideal...The fabric of that ideal has
been torn by NIL, and in some cases torn quite badly...Still, I would bet
as you do that Konkol&Co. make it as big a part of the process as they
possibly can...

Way too many young men who enter college basketball programs are
from fatherless homes....Really good college basketball coaching staffs
in recognition of this, teach these young men a lot more than basketball....

I strongly suspect Konkol&Co. is such a staff....
Haith knew this and did that as well...but producing winning basketball teams has to figure into the equation at some point. I don't think any of us really questioned whether or not Haith was a positive influence in the lives of the players he coached here

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Then I say the student gets a 1 free transfer for buyers remorse. After that they have to stay where they are, transfer to a Juco or D2 or go to the NBA. The only exception would be as a Graduate.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Then I say the student gets a 1 free transfer for buyers remorse. After that they have to stay where they are, transfer to a Juco or D2 or go to the NBA. The only exception would be as a Graduate.
That would be a large improvement over our current system, IMO.

I believe that's the way it is now, but the NCAA doesn't have the balls to say no on all the appeals for exceptions.

Last edited:
If you believe this board, all the guys who left us were forced out. How do we factor that in? If a coach takes a guy who transferred once, then the coach can't take away his scholly since the guy can't transfer again? The P5 guys we got didn't get playing time at their earlier schools, seems like guys who aren't on the court should be able to transfer as often as they want until they find a place where they have the skills to play.

Seems like the current system might work out better for us than worse. There are guys who we wouldn't get out of HS who we can get after they spend a year or two deep on the bench at Michigan, etc. As long as Konkol can get the value out of them that everyone thought they had in HS.

If you believe this board, all the guys who left us were forced out. How do we factor that in? If a coach takes a guy who transferred once, then the coach can't take away his scholly since the guy can't transfer again?
These things have been hashed out in-depth in Hurricane Alley over the past few months, but in short, not every transfer was forced out, and players can transfer more than once under certain circumstances, which is happening quite often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT