ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal 2023

Shouldn't the portal have made it easier for Konkol? He had access to a lot more guys than Manning did.
I have always felt the portal is going to help the power schools more than the G5 schools. As we saw with the most recent transfers we've gotten out of P5s, KES and Haywood, they were absolutely terrible here. We get the cast offs while our best players get poached for a move up.

We'll see how this year's transfers from the P5s work out for us.

I have always felt the portal is going to help the power schools more than the G5 schools. As we saw with the most recent transfers we've gotten out of P5s, KES and Haywood, they were absolutely terrible here. We get the cast offs while our best players get poached for a move up.
I believe this will be accurate in most cases. The players transferring out of the larger programs to smaller ones will be doing so due primarily to lack of PT. There will always be exceptions but PT will generally be the primary reason.

One of the recruits that left, would have left no matter who we got to coach. He might have left if we kept Haith. There wasn't a single recruit Doug had that matched up to Jefferson either.

And there was money involved not just the portal.(nil takes out most of the advantages of the portal)

Astro Dog bitches about keeping most of the players, but also bitches about not keeping all the recruits. Hypocritical bitching, just to have something to bitch about our basketball program.

The team had enough talent to win more than 5 games. I stick to that sentiment. The offense
was run terribly, the defense lacked grit, and most of that had to do with commitment and
determination, not athletic prowess or playmaking.
Had they all been in good physical, mental, and emotional health, that is true but only to
a point...There was certainly a cap on the individual talent and physical assets of the team
so they were never going to get close to .5oo for the season....

Our two best returning players were fighting problems off the court to the point they were
mostly a shadow of their potential on the court.....Our two best shooters were two of the
worst defenders I have ever seen in TU uniforms....The rest of the team with the exception
of the rookies and Selebangue (offensively) were a level or two above their talent levels...

Were they poorly coached? They looked it at the end of the season, but we don't really
know, given the confused state of the key players, how much coaching they could have
handled....Some times you wonder if you have a coach that insists on good effort and strict
adherence to team behavioral rules, how well that is processed by players that are not used
to it, and are not capable of doing what is being asked of them...

In the words of our Gen Generations, this is all so last season!!

Last edited:
One of the recruits that left, would have left no matter who we got to coach. He might have
left if we kept Haith. There wasn't a single recruit Doug had that matched up to Jefferson either.
He never left, because he never came....And was never going to....He had already been
bought off ....

Lot of competing factors for last year's team, but there's no question the new rules have helped him this year. No other time in college basketball history could we have gotten transfers from Michigan, Clemson, TCU, St Johns, and an all-conference player from LaTech all in 1 offseason. We'll see how it all works together, but I give credit to Konkol for the work completely remodeling the roster. It's exactly what needed to be done.
I think last season was due to Konkol being too nice to run players and underestimating the talent level of the returning roster. I think Konkol has quickly evolved to the reality of today’s NCAA portal. Konkol has been a winning coach…until last season. I don’t think he will ever again have a season like last season. We’ll know for sure come spring.

Lot of competing factors for last year's team, but there's no question the new rules have helped him this year. No other time in college basketball history could we have gotten transfers from Michigan, Clemson, TCU, St Johns, and an all-conference player from LaTech all in 1 offseason. We'll see how it all works together, but I give credit to Konkol for the work completely remodeling the roster. It's exactly what needed to be done.
Agreed. Very good assessment.

Reactions: crow4435
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT