ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Thread

As loose as they’ve made the rims for this game I think even I might be able to shoot 50%

Flipped back to the game. Seems close. Sleepy though.

Okay, glad that the East Coast talking heads were wrong.

Yes, Bill Self left here. But who wouldn't consider a move for the kind of money he has made in the last years. One thing I remember is that he brought his then current team here from Kansas. Most people who reach their dream job, don't come back to the Reynolds Center for a road game. Anyway the game was exciting for those who stayed up that long. Second National Championship.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Okay, glad that the East Coast talking heads were wrong.

Yes, Bill Self left here. But who wouldn't consider a move for the kind of money he has made in the last years. One thing I remember is that he brought his then current team here from Kansas. Most people who reach their dream job, don't come back to the Reynolds Center for a road game. Anyway the game was exciting for those who stayed up that long. Second National Championship.
Roy Williams did that. Not Self.

Self brought his team here in October 2021for a closed scrimmage I tried to get in but every door was locked. I heard we didn’t fare to well

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Fans were worried we made the wrong hire in 1997 when Self started out losing an exhibition game to Conoco Oil and then losing to Gonzaga (before Gonzaga was very good) 40-78, and then losing to a poor Houston team 57-61 at home. Finally went 19-12 with a walk-on point guard though he did get Ruffin and Coley from Steve Robinson. He was still learning as a coach though he was a Hall of Fame recruiter already. The next year even he struggled as a coach losing at Air Force 57-65 to a terrible Air Force team and losing at UNLV 55-73. Those WAC teams in the altitude on the road were tough.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Fans were worried we made the wrong hire in 1997 when Self started out losing an exhibition game to Conoco Oil and then losing to Gonzaga (before Gonzaga was very good) 40-78, and then losing to a poor Houston team 57-61 at home. Finally went 19-12 with a walk-on point guard though he did get Ruffin and Coley from Steve Robinson. He was still learning as a coach though he was a Hall of Fame recruiter already. The next year even he struggled as a coach losing at Air Force 57-65 to a terrible Air Force team and losing at UNLV 55-73. Those WAC teams in the altitude on the road were tough.
Actually... I think that may be one of Self's best years coaching. Tulsa was in a transition year. The pieces weren't there - and we had NO true PG. I thought we were an NIT team. If Bennett makes his FTs against NM, Tulsa would have won 20 that year - and perhaps one or two more in pre-season play.

Just my gut.

Reactions: I.I.
Wrong. I don't know what Roy did, but I was there when Self brought the Kansas team in.
You are incorrect sir. The last time Tulsa played Kansas was December 11th, 2002. Bill Self was hired, from Illinois in 2003 after Williams left for UNC following losing the 2003 National Championship game.

Last edited:
I thought we scrimmaged Kansas this last year before the season started?

Go TU!!!!

Goodness. I hope you're all joking. The last time TU played Kansas was the 02-03 season when Roy Williams was coach. We had a 4 point half time lead and lost by 9. How could anyone say they remember Bill bringing his Kansas team to Tulsa? We absolutely didn't play Kansas in 2012. Facepalm.

Reactions: drboobay
Goodness. I hope you're all joking. The last time TU played Kansas was the 02-03 season when Roy Williams was coach. We had a 4 point half time lead and lost by 9. How could anyone say they remember Bill bringing his Kansas team to Tulsa? We absolutely didn't play Kansas in 2012. Facepalm.
Correct. It was Roy Williams.

Self was at Illinois.

Reactions: dougheffking
Goodness.
YES!

images

You are incorrect sir. The last time Tulsa played Kansas was December 11th, 2012. Bill Self was hired, from Illinois in 2003 after Williams left for UNC following losing the 2003 National Championship game.
Well, this isn't the first (and perhaps not the last time) I was wrong about something.

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874
Hey, look who’s back!

TUGeo you are right it was in October last year and you couldn’t get in to see it It was really closed tight

"Chris Collins has done a horrendous job and Northwestern just keeps paying him to fail. That AD should be ashamed." Twitter comment on Northwestern basketball. Guess who the A.D. is ? ...........yes it is Gragg..........

I was there - flew down w my dad. Stayed at same hotel as KU. Great 1st half - close 2nd half until late. KU was a little better - had a few NBA'ers. TU had none.

Elon interested in Frank Haith.............:)

"Bring home Frank. I don’t give a crap about PR. I don’t give a crap he’s ridden with scandals. Guess what the NCAA doesn’t care anymore either. Can’t take down a banner if you don’t have one. I visited Elon for the first time in five years this past weekend and despite all the new buildings and bells and whistles their is one thing the campus doesn’t have: Swagger. You can’t build swagger. Guess who has swagger. Frank Haith. He is what he is. He can win the CAA. He can raid the transfer portal and get a competitive team. He can recruit the southeast. I’m tired of watching an athletics program fail and fail boringly. Elon has no personality when it comes to their team (and university but that’s a different rant). Dave Blank swallow your pride, tell President Book and the rest of administration to quit kissing the a$$es of much more prestigious private schools just do the can be mentioned in the same breath as them and hire Frank. If not, we are coming for you. You can’t keep failing as an AD and keep your job. Bonus point - I will personally contribute to the university’s compliance department if it means we hire Frank."

"Chris Collins has done a horrendous job and Northwestern just keeps paying him to fail. That AD should be ashamed." Twitter comment on Northwestern basketball. Guess who the A.D. is ? ...........yes it is Gragg..........

Who represents Chris Collins? Who hired him?

Elon interested in Frank Haith.............:)

"Bring home Frank. I don’t give a crap about PR. I don’t give a crap he’s ridden with scandals. Guess what the NCAA doesn’t care anymore either. Can’t take down a banner if you don’t have one. I visited Elon for the first time in five years this past weekend and despite all the new buildings and bells and whistles their is one thing the campus doesn’t have: Swagger. You can’t build swagger. Guess who has swagger. Frank Haith. He is what he is. He can win the CAA. He can raid the transfer portal and get a competitive team. He can recruit the southeast. I’m tired of watching an athletics program fail and fail boringly. Elon has no personality when it comes to their team (and university but that’s a different rant). Dave Blank swallow your pride, tell President Book and the rest of administration to quit kissing the a$$es of much more prestigious private schools just do the can be mentioned in the same breath as them and hire Frank. If not, we are coming for you. You can’t keep failing as an AD and keep your job. Bonus point - I will personally contribute to the university’s compliance department if it means we hire Frank."
Isn't this funny. Their concern is compliance. Despite the reputation we saw not even a hint of an issue with this.

Yes I went all the way around the Reynolds Center Where their bus was parked on south side the bus people were guarding the doors. Somebody I didn’t know came out the lower doors on west side I asked how we were doing and he said we were down by 20. I left after that

Last edited:
Isn't this funny. Their concern is compliance. Despite the reputation we saw not even a hint of an issue with this.

They knew we weren’t cheating when we hired Gragg. The reverse of the famous swing is true: if you ain’t competing, you ain’t cheating.

We did a three game deal one in Lawrence, one in KC and one in Tulsa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT