ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Thread

Nice win for former TU coach Bill Self who is in the Hall of Fame.

Having flashbacks to Austin in 2000...

Peacocks gonna get hosed..
Tulsa was actually favored in that game. We were also a higher seed.

I’ve actually thought this year’s Houston team was closer to that TU team. We both were ranked, had great records & were seeded too low. We were both favored in our Elite Eight games and both tightened up and didn’t play well & lost close games.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA and Tu Geo

I’ve actually thought this year’s Houston team was closer to that TU team. We both were ranked, had great records & were seeded too low. We were both favored in our Elite Eight games and both tightened up and didn’t play well & lost close games.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched the game. TU in 2001 and Houston this year each had a horrible shooting night at the worst time. I could add TU in 1982 to that list, just an average shooting night and they beat Phi Slamma Jama.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched the game. TU in 2001 and Houston this year each had a horrible shooting night at the worst time. I could add TU in 1982 to that list, just an average shooting night and they beat Phi Slamma Jama.
I was at both of those games. Yes, it’s my fault!

I was there...

Watched the refs call 3 quick fouls on Coley for clean blocks.. and let Forte and company get physical with near impunity..

The NCAA and CBS was looking at a potential final 4 with no blue bloods in it.. aint gonna happen..

In this case.. the media wants one final match between K and UNC..

Cinderella is cute.. but in the end.. she aint got enough dowry for the prince..

I was in Austin. It's hard to say a team didn't get up for an elite eight game but we did not come out with the same aggressive underdog mentality that allowed us to beat Cincinnati in round 2. Only when down toward the end did we see the desperation mindset begin and Dante Swanson came off the bench and almost brought us back by himself. North Carolina did have some big officiating breaks and the big football player inside kicked us.

I was there...

Watched the refs call 3 quick fouls on Coley for clean blocks.. and let Forte and company get physical with near impunity..

The NCAA and CBS was looking at a potential final 4 with no blue bloods in it.. aint gonna happen..

Cinderella is cute.. but in the end.. she aint got enough dowry for the prince..
I was there, too. I don’t disagree that UNC got favorable calls, but we still had chances to win. We weren’t Cinderella, like Saint Peters. We were legit. We were favored. We just didn’t get it done.

Reactions: I.I. and drboobay
I was there, too. I don’t disagree that UNC got favorable calls, but we still had chances to win. We weren’t Cinderella, like Saint Peters. We were legit. We were favored. We just didn’t get it done.
Lost opportunity for sure.

Reactions: t-townpod
Any time a school like Tulsa is playing a blue blood for a trip to the final 4, they are a cinderella..

That game goes differently and the whole course of the future is changed..

I agree we had our chances.. but it wasnt a fair fight.

I was there...

The worst to me was 900 lb Brendan Haywood flopping his way to charge calls against David Shelton. No one in the building believed Shelton’s shimmy actually knocked that dude down

Last edited:
1-20 from the three. No one wins with that.
28% FG, 5% (FIVE) from 3.

This sort of reminds me of 1999-2000 TU team having their worst offensive game of the season in the Elite 8 game vs Carolina and still being within a couple buckets of winning the game. (That TU team was a much better offensive team than this Houston team and almost as good defensively and on the boards.)

I was in Austin. It's hard to say a team didn't get up for an elite eight game but we did not come out with the same aggressive underdog mentality that allowed us to beat Cincinnati in round 2. Only when down toward the end did we see the desperation mindset begin and Dante Swanson came off the bench and almost brought us back by himself. North Carolina did have some big officiating breaks and the big football player inside kicked us.
Tough to be aggressive when the refs are whistle happy..

Coley fouls out in 24 minutes, 7 rebounds shy of his tourney avg....Shelton gets 4 fouls in 17 minutes.. Harrington plays majority of game in foul trouble.. getting 4 in 33 minutes..

None of UNCs players had more than 3.. including Peppers and Forte..

Forte scored 28 points because if we even breathed on him, we drew a whistle..

Reactions: Tu Geo
Peppers got away with throwing moving screens the whole game, sometimes knocking our players to the floor. Never got called for it. He should have fouled out after their first 5 possessions!

Reactions: Tu Geo
I love how everyone remembers that game like it was yesterday!!!!!

Its a shame we have fallen so far!!!!

Let's hope we are on our way back!!!!!

GO TU!!!

Reactions: drboobay
I love how everyone remembers that game like it was yesterday!!!!!

Its a shame we have fallen so far!!!!

Let's hope we are on our way back!!!!!

GO TU!!!

Yeah... i have war-gamed this one in my mind many times..
We win.. does Hollywood stay or go? If Hollywood stays 1 more yr do we avoid the Buzzard? Do we avoid the Phillips fiasco? So many different dominoes fall based on one win/loss...

Its like thinking about Rader moving on after '91 freedom bowl.

You mean Julius Peppers who played 17 years in the NFL and is #4 on the all time sack list (official NFL stats, #5 if you go back to 1960 and include Deacon Jones' numbers). Yeah, basketball was his side gig and he was a freak athlete. He could have played in the NBA and been the 2nd coming of Charles Barkley. UNC had some guys who could play as well. They underachieved all season. Brendan Haywood, Joe Forte, Peppers, Ed Cota (AA PG that Dante Swanson ripped the ball from late in the game).

We win.. does Hollywood stay or go? If Hollywood stays 1 more yr do we avoid the Buzzard? Do we avoid the Phillips fiasco? So many different dominoes fall based on one win/loss...

That was a lot of thinking, Noble...:flags:

Reactions: TU_BLA

Nahh, we could have won the title and it would have just let him jump to someplace better than Illinois. Everyone here deifies Self but I have a much lower opinion of him because of the way he left. Nolan left, Tubby left, others left but they handled it better. They didn’t make a bunch of statements about being here for the long run. Self was on the news one night saying he was staying and was here for the future, the next morning he was in Champaign being introduced as the new coach, no thank you Tulsa or anything. It’s like we didn’t even exist once he moved on.

Reactions: t-townpod
Gonna switch over to talking women's hoops for a second. 3 #1 seeds make the Final Four (Louisville, Stanford, South Carolina) and a #2 seed (UCONN). UCONN was a #2 seed solely because they lost 5 games with Paige Bueckers lost to injury early in the season. Bueckers returned in late February and her minutes were managed very well to ease her back. She came off the bench some and then started during the Big East tournament. She was not option #1 on offense most of those games because she didn't need to be. Matter of fact, her injury and missing 3/4 of the season was probably the best thing to happen to UCONN who was able to develop other go to players as well as get some players down the bench some PT and experience. UCONN normally is 7-8 players deep and during the Buecker-less stretch, they went 8-9. NC State fans were griping about having to go to Bridgeport, CT regional as a #1 seed and then having to play UCONN.

Bueckers is the best player in college basketball (men or women) in terms of being an all around player. Best ball handler, best shooter, great defensively and a floor general (which is what UCONN missed most). The game yesterday went to 2OT and Bueckers scored 10 pts in the 1st OT on 100% shooting and then hit her first 2 shots of the 2nd OT..so she scored 15 pts in the OTs.

That was a lot of thinking, Noble...:flags:

Well... my son played travel baseball (lots of downtime) and i used to have season tix for TU BB/FB... so i had alot of empty time for deep thinking..

Reactions: I.I.
Nahh, we could have won the title and it would have just let him jump to someplace better than Illinois. Everyone here deifies Self but I have a much lower opinion of him because of the way he left. Nolan left, Tubby left, others left but they handled it better. They didn’t make a bunch of statements about being here for the long run. Self was on the news one night saying he was staying and was here for the future, the next morning he was in Champaign being introduced as the new coach, no thank you Tulsa or anything. It’s like we didn’t even exist once he moved on.
If he had won the title, no one would have cared.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Ick. I cannot think of anything less interesting than KU versus NC.

Self watched Baylor’s second half press against North Carolina.

Self Is a filthy cheater so cannot wish him well.

And North Carolina again? Give me a break.
Don't forget after an exhaustive multi year investigation by NCAA. UNC's "cheating on tests" scandal was a nothing burger. WHY? The NCAA decided after 30 years of cheating that athletes were not given an academic advantage because cheating was going on in the same manner with non athletic standard student population. Thus no advantage.

Unbelievable.

Kansas will also slide by with minimal sanctions IMHO.

Still pulling for Kansas.

GO TU!!!

Last edited:
Remember when the player was announced he would go to midcourt and meet the guy from the other team and shake hands and then go to his side of the court? Why did they go away from that?

I am finding it very hard to pay attention to this game, with not caring a lick who wind.

Maybe turn back to the Ben Franklin documentary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT