ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney Thread

The AAC was treated poorly, especially compared to the Mountain West. Our loss to Air Force didn’t help. SMU should have easily been in over Rutgers or Wyoming.

I agree about Houston. I can’t remember the 5th best team in the country on Sagarin being a 5 seed.

Memphis has a stud big man, but it’s usually guard play that carries teams in the tournament. Is Memphis guard play good enough to win? Will Larry Brown override Penny enough to make their coaching not horrible?

The AAC was treated poorly, especially compared to the Mountain West. Our loss to Air Force didn’t help. SMU should have easily been in over Rutgers or Wyoming.

I agree about Houston. I can’t remember the 5th best team in the country on Sagarin being a 5 seed.

Memphis has a stud big man, but it’s usually guard play that carries teams in the tournament. Is Memphis guard play good enough to win? Will Larry Brown override Penny enough to make their coaching not horrible?
Wyoming has 7 quad 1 wins. Rutgers has 6. SMU had 2. Pretty safe to say they deserved the bid more than the SMU

The MWC was good this year but not 4 bids good. Two definitely, three maybe but 4 overestimates the quality of ball being played.

Reactions: TU 1978
Based on the criteria they probably deserved 4. Wyoming could go either way, but their conference had a great year

As much as I hate them, Houston seems way underseeded at 5. They will make some noise.
I thought so too. Still laughed that SMU got snubbed while Memphis got a 9 seed after going 1-2 against SMU this year.

Comparing teams just from a NET point of view:

Quad 1:
SMU 2-2
Memphis 5-4

Quad 2:
SMU 4-4
Memphis 3-4

Quad 3:
SMU 10-1
Memphis 8-2

Quad 4:
SMU 7-1
Memphis 5-0

SMU had an easier schedule that probably hurt them, but beat Memphis twice! I think they are probably pretty equitable teams, but I guess increased quantity of Quad 1-2 games really helps for the committee. Also, they do seem to weight the late season performance more heavily.

I thought so too. Still laughed that SMU got snubbed while Memphis got a 9 seed after going 1-2 against SMU this year.

Comparing teams just from a NET point of view:

Quad 1:
SMU 2-2
Memphis 5-4

Quad 2:
SMU 4-4
Memphis 3-4

Quad 3:
SMU 10-1
Memphis 8-2

Quad 4:
SMU 7-1
Memphis 5-0

SMU had an easier schedule that probably hurt them, but beat Memphis twice! I think they are probably pretty equitable teams, but I guess increased quantity of Quad 1-2 games really helps for the committee. Also, they do seem to weight the late season performance more heavily.
If SMU had beaten Memphis in the tournament then then the American would have had 3 teams in. Those Quad 1 wins out of conference pushed Memphis over. Plus they played great down the stretch

If SMU had beaten Memphis in the tournament then then the American would have had 3 teams in. Those Quad 1 wins out of conference pushed Memphis over. Plus they played great down the stretch
Yep, we would have got two teams in no matter what. It was just an issue of whether it was Memphis or SMU.

Penny had to let Coach Brown slither in and take advantage of all Penny's recruiting.

That's a really profitable way for Penny to take an assistant coaches position.

Yep, we would have got three teams no matter what. It was just an issue of whether it was Memphis or SMU.

Penny had to let Coach Brown slither in and take advantage of all Penny's recruiting.

That's a really profitable way for Penny to take an assistant coaches position.
2?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Apparently there was a big meeting between Penny and Brown after Brown refused to make the Tulsa trip the day after the press blow up in Memphis. After that meeting miraculously the team came together , there was some change in the x and o's, Bates was benched with an undisclosed injury :cool: and Memphis won nearly every game???????????????

Wyoming has 7 quad 1 wins. Rutgers has 6. SMU had 2. Pretty safe to say they deserved the bid more than the SMU
I look at Sagarin ratings. That closely reflects Vegas lines. On Sagarin, SMU was #40, Wyoming was #83. That may be the lowest Sagarin rating ever for an at large pick. The Mountain West did have a good season. That gave their teams more opportunities for “good wins”.

It will be interesting to see how they do. I will be rooting for their teams, because I almost always root for the non-power conference teams. Also I’m never shedding a tear for SMU. I’m just glad that wasn’t us!

Reactions: Clong83a
Rutgers had a NET of 77 which was the new metric they were supposed to be using. How does a team with 7 quad 1 wins have an overall NET of 77? They played on of the weakest OOC schedules. No way they should have been in

First four games tonight: Texas A&M CC currently up a couple on Texas Southern. Is Mike Davis still the coach at Tx Southern?

So, I am of the opinion that these 1st four games should be all at large teams playing for the right to be in the main draw. The 15/16 seeds all earned their way into the tournament. Teams like Indiana were gifted a spot after a mediocre at best season. And then make all the play in games to be the 16th seeds. Make Indiana play the #1 seed in the region in the 2nd round.

This Wyoming/Indiana game is painful to watch right now. Neither team look particularly interested to be playing this game. It's 13 all with under 7 to go in the 1st half. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. And the refs have quick whistles

• Haha
Reactions: loca2874
Notre Dame and Rutgers playing under different sets of rules. Traveling and double dribble aren't in the book used for Notre Dame. Ryan from Notre Dame seriously looked like he was doing the fox trot out there and no traveling call.

One of the best late game performances I have seen from both teams.

The first 3 games today I have predicted upsets.

Michigan over Colorado State
South Dakota State over Providence
Memphis over Boise

we bout to have 3 mountain west teams out the tournament early

I agreed with those picks. CSU is tearing them up early with threes but once they start missing that Wolverine size will overwhelm them.

Michigan has turned the ball over too much. They have the height and ability to keep them shooting from the perimeter. If Michigan can stop the turnovers then they will catch them if CSU can’t hit a lot from deep

First two games not looking good. See how the second half goes. Either I am going to look smart or a clown smh

Watching games today and last night, I’m amazed how players get away with walking. Changing pivot feet, taking a pass and a couple of steps before they dribble, not to mention constant palming of the ball. Ridiculous!! I want my youth back. Lol

Watching games today and last night, I’m amazed how players get away with walking. Changing pivot feet, taking a pass and a couple of steps before they dribble, not to mention constant palming of the ball. Ridiculous!! I want my youth back. Lol
I don’t think they call that palming of the ball anymore. As long as it goes up and down they don’t care. Also with the “euro step” being allowed now, it changed how traveling is viewed. Basketball is now a subjective sport

Reactions: Bill Lowery
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT