ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Baptist Game Thread

cmullinsTU

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2006
Noon tip-off, they are better than our first two opponents. Quick notes on them

* Freshman, Milan Acquaah (#0), is very active on defense and through their first two games is getting a steal on 8.7% of the opponents offensive possessions.
* Through 2 games they are shooting only 25% from 3 and don't take many of them (5 of 20)
* Almost 60% of their points come from 2 pointers
* Like Haith, they auto-bench at 2 fouls but unlike us don't have great depth. If we get a starter or two in foul trouble we can win this one comfortably
* Thus far they've done a good job protecting the ball, averaging only 8 TOs per game. By comparison we are averaging 13.5.
* Finally they are allowing opponents to shoot 38.5% from 3. If we are hot, we will get a big lead due to easy 3s.

Noon tip-off, they are better than our first two opponents. Quick notes on them

* Freshman, Milan Acquaah (#0), is very active on defense and through their first two games is getting a steal on 8.7% of the opponents offensive possessions.
* Through 2 games they are shooting only 25% from 3 and don't take many of them (5 of 20)
* Almost 60% of their points come from 2 pointers
* Like Haith, they auto-bench at 2 fouls but unlike us don't have great depth. If we get a starter or two in foul trouble we can win this one comfortably
* Thus far they've done a good job protecting the ball, averaging only 8 TOs per game. By comparison we are averaging 13.5.
* Finally they are allowing opponents to shoot 38.5% from 3. If we are hot, we will get a big lead due to easy 3s.
They will struggle until they get the D1 basketball players they need to compete. Keep in mind their 1st two games were against an NAIA school and ORU. ORU doesn't pressure the ball much from what I've seen and they will certainly allow you to pass the ball around on the outside. I don't think CBU quite has the depth, to be able to put a lot of pressure on us or risk aggressive fouls.

They've got a lot of transfers and some Australians. Wonder if they'll lose a couple of those kid midseason who opt to go play pro-ball on the beach.

Based on stats their best overall player actually seems to be the freshman I mentioned. But you are right @TU_BLA, I should've caveated those notes with who their opponents were.

They will struggle a lot all season due to their poor 3 pt shooting, and due to their 1st two opponents I doubt it was because of hand in the face defense.

Nevertheless by various metrics I checked, Cal Baptist is a better team than SC State and Alcorn St.

Based on stats their best overall player actually seems to be the freshman I mentioned. But you are right @TU_BLA, I should've caveated those notes with who their opponents were.

They will struggle a lot all season due to their poor 3 pt shooting, and due to their 1st two opponents I doubt it was because of hand in the face defense.

Nevertheless by various metrics I checked, Cal Baptist is a better team than SC State and Alcorn St.
That I don't doubt. The MEAC and SWAC schools are lambs sent to slaughter early season.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Is this game on ESPN3 or just the hurricane vision

Only hurricane vision. It is working this time around though.

Line change but kept Jeffries out there.

Good guys up 12-6 at first media timeout. Keep forcing CBU to shoot bad 3s and we win YUGE. Playing well thus far.

We are not playing well. We are just not very good I’m afraid

Again, we need to stop thinking we are a 3pt shooting team. We aren't. We can get inside almost at will against a lot of teams but we settle for bad shots.

The coaches clearly got the memo CBU is a bad 3pt shooting team but took it a bit too far and are going under every screen and leaving them wide open around the arch.

t-townpod we are fine, there’s no indicator in this game of how good or bad we are. Simply not playing tough defense right now

The coaches clearly got the memo CBU is a bad 3pt shooting team but took it a bit too far and are going under every screen and leaving them wide open around the arch.

t-townpod we are fine, there’s no indicator in this game of how good or bad we are. Simply not playing tough defense right now
If you call 42% a bad shooting 3 pt team

They were 5/20 coming in and they’ve made 8 in the first half. Yea I’ll take my chances that’s doesn’t happen again

Too many missed layups.

Some weird calls by the ref on the N side.
We keep leaving 24 open wide open in a gap in the zone and he’s hot. Doesn’t look like a 3pt shooter at all. Think he’s their 4/5.

They're out-rebounding us and out-passing us. 20 rebounds to 15, 11 assists to 5. They have 6 offensive rebounds. That'll get you beat.

This is California’s version of ORU. It’s amateur hour with their coach and players.

Need to get out of a zone against a team that is chucking and praying.

Need to box out for rebounds.

Do both or get beat if Cal keeps making 3s outside the zone.

Each game and each half has a pivot point that takes a game one way or another. In that half it was the great entry pass from Taplin where Igbanu decided to shoot a layup instead of dunking the ball. He goes up strong and we’re up double digits, instead they bring it down to 6 and with their confidence bolstered they went on a run. Igbanu did get the message though as he went on to dunk it twice with authority. Unfortunately he did a pull up on the second with the resulting free throw providing CBU with the halftime lead.

I think some of the doom and gloom “we’re awful” comments here are borderline hysteria. CBU is unconscious from three, many from NBA range, I don’t see that continuing. We do need to rebound better but I think we come out in the second half and take control. Taplin is playing great ball and Barnes has an excellent mid-range jumper, something we haven’t seen enough of in the past. I think Barnes and Falokun have been the best surprises of the season for me.

I don't know why I expect the 3pt defense to get better every year

If we lose this game, Haith needs to go. It's unacceptable to be playing like this

We apparently haven’t practiced boxing out this season.

Cal baptist is bigger than us on the inside. But many of these offensive boards have been due to us not putting a body on someone. And we are in man defense so finding a body to box out isn’t hard.

Rebounding must get more aggressive and better. Guys need to actually leave the floor to grab rebounds instead of planting their feet and waiting for the ball to fall to them

Well, we seem to be taking after the fb team, lose the first half and struggle to win/lose in the second.

It’s a shame Cal Baptist can’t qualify for the NCAA tourney this year cause they a Final Four team

Rebounding must get more aggressive and better. Guys need to actually leave the floor to grab rebounds instead of planting their feet and waiting for the ball to fall to them

You don't get rebounds by out jumping people, especially bigger players. You get them by boxing out, holding position and then gaining possession. A good rebounder can let the ball hit the floor and never be in doubt of securing it. This is basketball 101 and why over the back is a foul while not actually being in the rule book.

4 fouls on their big and primary threat on the offensive glass. They've slowed down their hot shooting BUT have gotten to the line more in this half and haven't missed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT