ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Baptist Game Thread

Seems the problem was less that they shot great (they didn’t, they’d have smoked us if they had shot decently) and more that they killed us on the boards. They out rebounded us by 8 even though we took 16 fewer shots than them. It’s pretty scary that a team that I’d expect to be smaller, slower and generally less athletic than us owned the boards. We got very lucky they had such a bad shooting game.

Well I guess I hoped we’d be more athletic than a first year D1 school in the WAC. Hopefully it was an aberration as you say. Ironically after years past, we won because they fouled a zillion times and we hit the free throws. Without all those foul shots, given our regular shooting, we would have lost. I suspect that might be part of what their coach was so upset about.

We won the game at the free throw line where we shot 40+ free throws to their 16. We hit 30+ free throws to their 12. That was the difference in the game. If both teams would have shot an equal amount of free throws they would have smoked us on our home court. Aside from going to the line and free throw shooting, I saw no positives from this game.
If they weren't fouling us every other time down the court we would have shot and made a bunch more shots. That was either the coaches game plan, or their big men got beat like a tin drum every other time down the court and had to foul to stop easy baskets. Silly remarks. And they were fouling us, not getting jobbed by the refs. That coach was just an ass. plain & simple.

Reactions: TU4ever2
I really do think that if Igbanu had dunked that open opportunity in the first half instead of missing the layup it would have been a completely different game. Momentum is a funny thing and it turned on that pivot point. A dunk there would have given us a 10 point lead and a big psychological advantage.

On Taplin, he played a good game but I think he was just a little tired in the second half. The layups he was making in the first were bouncing off the rim in the second and he missed two freebies late that would have helped seal the deal.

I also wonder if Taplin was hurt in the second half. Haith even subbed him out for a couple of minutes later in the half. He played below average defense for him & was just “off” down the stretch.

Reactions: Gold*
For those not at the game, Cal Baptist ‘s PG is a transfer from Washington State & he played a great game. If that’s anywhere near his normal game, I’d love to have him on our team.

If they weren't fouling us every other time down the court we would have shot and made a bunch more shots. That was either the coaches game plan, or their big men got beat like a tin drum every other time down the court and had to foul to stop easy baskets. Silly remarks. And they were fouling us, not getting jobbed by the refs. That coach was just an ass. plain & simple.
We averaged exactly 1 point per shot- 52 points on 52 shots. The 40 free throws gave us 30 points. If the 40 free throws had been 20 shots it would have been 20 points - or 10 less in a game we won by 3...

For those not at the game, Cal Baptist ‘s PG is a transfer from Washington State & he played a great game. If that’s anywhere near his normal game, I’d love to have him on our team.

Indeed.
And to have a 6’10 guy that can hit 4 treys in a row... and look pretty good doing it...

On the fouls, they played physical and very aggressive defense which I think was to intimidate our guys. It didn’t and resulted in a lot of FT’s for us.

We didn’t play great but, if they play like that in the WAC, they’ll be competing for a conference championship.

Haiti’s defense didn’t have an answer today. He typically makes adjustments outside of the corner three but, they didn’t kill us on that. I actually commented to my buddy while watching the game that we seemed to have the quickness to cover those this year vs years past.

Haiths teams also always struggle with rebounding early but dominate when they need to do so,!I’m not overly concerned there.

I would like to see more and higher percentage 3pt shooting from us though.

We averaged exactly 1 point per shot- 52 points on 52 shots. The 40 free throws gave us 30 points. If the 40 free throws had been 20 shots it would have been 20 points - or 10 less in a game we won by 3...
The shots we got fouled on would not have averaged 1 point per shot. Otherwise they generally would not have fouled us. You foul on shots you think there is little chance they would not go in if you didn't foul. That's the general concept behind fouling. To gain an advantage when you can't stop the shot, whether it's intentional or not.

The shots we got fouled on would not have averaged 1 point per shot. Otherwise they generally would not have fouled us. You foul on shots you think there is little chance they would not go in if you didn't foul. That's the general concept behind fouling. To gain an advantage when you can't stop the shot, whether it's intentional or not.
Well I suppose if the players are perfect and only foul optimally and all the fouls were shooting fouls, neither of which is true of course. They had 28 fouls so I’m sure a lot of those free throws weren’t shooting fouls. There’s no way we’d average 1.5 points per shot if they hadn’t been fouls. Maybe a bit more than 1 point per shot but when you win by 3, a little less efficiency is trouble.

We just can't expect to get bailed out by the refs all season. There will be games where refs swallow their whistles and we have to be able to make shots and defend better than we did today.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Well I suppose if the players are perfect and only foul optimally and all the fouls were shooting fouls, neither of which is true of course. They had 28 fouls so I’m sure a lot of those free throws weren’t shooting fouls. There’s no way we’d average 1.5 points per shot if they hadn’t been fouls. Maybe a bit more than 1 point per shot but when you win by 3, a little less efficiency is trouble.
Yeah, and we might get into more of a rhythm if they didn't foul so much. You can't predict one without the other, and expect the same result.(especially this early in the season)

We just can't expect to get bailed out by the refs all season. There will be games where refs swallow their whistles and we have to be able to make shots and defend better than we did today.

True but, it’s apparent you didn’t watch the game in regards to the fouling situation.

Reactions: Gold*
True but, it’s apparent you didn’t watch the game in regards to the fouling situation.
Had to listen to it on the radio. I'm not saying we didn't get fouled. I'm saying there are certain games (usually Cincinnati at least) where the refs tend to swallow their whistles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT