ADVERTISEMENT

Unemployment

I just dropped the link into the Cincy Drops Soccer thread as well. My wife saw it first. We still have some very good friends who basically run the housing and dining operations for TU. Not sure if they are affected. I would think they will still be needed as long as there are students on campus but who knows.
My question is.... what revenues were effected by this? Like... are the students now paying tuition anymore? As long as classes are continuing, should the same level of staffing be expected to be payable? What were the extra costs associated with this shutdown?

I just don't get how the finances are hit this much, but I expect that I'm missing something.

My question is.... what revenues were effected by this? Like... are the students now paying tuition anymore? As long as classes are continuing, should the same level of staffing be expected to be payable? What were the extra costs associated with this shutdown?

I just don't get how the finances are hit this much, but I expect that I'm missing something.

I assumed the students were no longer on campus. If so then revenue for room and board would be gone or at least greatly reduced....correct?

I assumed the students were no longer on campus. If so then revenue for room and board would be gone or at least greatly reduced....correct?
True. Didn't know that was such a vital revenue stream for TU. I suppose with all those apartments they built that makes some sense though. Still doesn't explain a dramatic increase in costs...

There were stories of some colleges refusing to refund room/board. Hopefully TU wasn't one of those schools

True. Didn't know that was such a vital revenue stream for TU. I suppose with all those apartments they built that makes some sense though. Still doesn't explain a dramatic increase in costs...

TU has refunded 4.6M in housing and dining payments to the students. They are classifying these refunds as a cost increase. We are also expecting a $5.5M hit this summer from lack of tuition and retention of students.

Athletics is going to have significant issues as well.

Reactions: URedskin54

The greatest line of revenue is room and board. When I worked at TU, someone who was intimately involved in the budgeting process each year made a simple explanation of how university funding worked. He said tuition pays faculty salaries, room and board revenue pays for nearly everything else. As most people would expect, the mark-up on room and board is extremely high. My understanding is TU made a decision that refunded roughly half of every student on one of the board plans. I'm not sure how they worked housing refunds but I believe students who moved out when the decision to close was made were given a refund. There are still a number of students who live on campus currently whose personal situations did not allow them to leave campus. I would assume they are still being billed for their housing. When I did budgeting for housing at ORU, I didn't know any of the expenses, but I frequently submitted anticipated revenue reports based on current occupancy. ORU was bringing in between $9M-$10M per semester on room and board revenues and I know TU's room and board costs were higher to students than ORUs and TU had a much higher occupancy because of the apartments. My guess is TU brings in $12-15M per semester in room and board revenue. If you refund half of that in a given semester...you are losing a giant source of annual revenue. TU has a pretty stringent cancellation policy as well meaning you owe the semester's charges if you decide to cancel housing at any point after the 1st day of class. I know students appeal these and some actually win, i.e. they leave for a medical reason. BUT it is very different when the university has to cancel for something like this.

I understand the stimulus checks to help people who have lost their job pay some bills.
Why do people who dont/wont work need check?

I cant wait to go back to topgolf or go bowling with friends. Open it back up! If you're old or sickly stay home. Take a shower, keep hands clean, and wear a mask to go say hinto grandma. Otherwise, get out there and work. Lets goooo.

The greatest line of revenue is room and board. When I worked at TU, someone who was intimately involved in the budgeting process each year made a simple explanation of how university funding worked. He said tuition pays faculty salaries, room and board revenue pays for nearly everything else. As most people would expect, the mark-up on room and board is extremely high. My understanding is TU made a decision that refunded roughly half of every student on one of the board plans. I'm not sure how they worked housing refunds but I believe students who moved out when the decision to close was made were given a refund. There are still a number of students who live on campus currently whose personal situations did not allow them to leave campus. I would assume they are still being billed for their housing. When I did budgeting for housing at ORU, I didn't know any of the expenses, but I frequently submitted anticipated revenue reports based on current occupancy. ORU was bringing in between $9M-$10M per semester on room and board revenues and I know TU's room and board costs were higher to students than ORUs and TU had a much higher occupancy because of the apartments. My guess is TU brings in $12-15M per semester in room and board revenue. If you refund half of that in a given semester...you are losing a giant source of annual revenue. TU has a pretty stringent cancellation policy as well meaning you owe the semester's charges if you decide to cancel housing at any point after the 1st day of class. I know students appeal these and some actually win, i.e. they leave for a medical reason. BUT it is very different when the university has to cancel for something like this.
Seems to me that if Room and Board is the real money maker, that TU should really work on getting as many occupants (students) as possible by dropping tuition and increasing attendance. I'm sure our endowment has taken a hit along with the markets, but at least it could fund the faculty while we fill the school. Any kids that lived in the area and chose to attend TU while living at home should be looked at like gravy that helps fund the faculty.

Unemployment up another 4.4 million this week. Now over 20%. Considering the backlog it's likely closer to 25-30% already

I think this is why there is such a push to get something re-opened. I don’t blame the leadership for considering that. Things will get $hitty otherwise.

That said, it’s going to be a long road. I’m betting we get ordered back to work soon. I’m already dreading the poor hygiene habits of others.

Reactions: URedskin54
I think this is why there is such a push to get something re-opened. I don’t blame the leadership for considering that. Things will get $hitty otherwise.

That said, it’s going to be a long road. I’m betting we get ordered back to work soon. I’m already dreading the poor hygiene habits of others.

It's tough and I don't know that anybody can confidently say they have the right answers on where we go from here. I would really like just one politician to set some benchmarks like "We open when we can test x number of people per day or positive test percentage is under y %" or "we'll open 1 sector and if new cases don't grow by x in two weeks we'll open up another." People need something to look forward to, even if the goals might not be met.

As it is, we'll probably be having some friends from Lufkin who work in a small cabinetry business come live with us for a bit. I'm thankful that my wife and I have jobs that are pretty resistant to these kinds of disruptions.

It's tough and I don't know that anybody can confidently say they have the right answers on where we go from here. I would really like just one politician to set some benchmarks like "We open when we can test x number of people per day or positive test percentage is under y %" or "we'll open 1 sector and if new cases don't grow by x in two weeks we'll open up another." People need something to look forward to, even if the goals might not be met.

As it is, we'll probably be having some friends from Lufkin who work in a small cabinetry business come live with us for a bit. I'm thankful that my wife and I have jobs that are pretty resistant to these kinds of disruptions.
Totally agree. Give realistic expectations and goals and then COMMUNICATE those effectively.

Reactions: TUMe and URedskin54
That's not even considering the number of people around the world living just above extreme poverty. The death toll from the economic fallout could be huge.

RE: this statement I made about a month ago. It’s often forgotten how many millions of people in the world live right on the brink of starvation.

“U.N. warns economic downturn could kill hundreds of thousands of children in 2020”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-children-un-idUSKBN21Y2X7

We’re not allowed to talk about the death and suffering which lies ahead due to a failed economy. Sad thing is there will be millions who are actually surprised when this occurs.

Reactions: maverickfp
We’re not allowed to talk about the death and suffering which lies ahead due to a failed economy. Sad thing is there will be millions who are actually surprised when this occurs.

It’s easy not to notice or to prioritize other things. I just have a sister whose life and career revolves around this stuff so I always hear about it.

Millions of deaths due to transmission would have similar destabilizing effects. We're in a catch-22.

So the fight is going to the states now. I have a broader hypothesis of what’s going on (Republican governors are trying to save Trump’s fat ass), but it’s fascinating to me to watch this play out. Trump praises some governors for opening up. Then a couple of days later calls out Georgia. And then Darth Maul, I mean Bill Barr, starts threatening states with Democrat governors/ potential election opponents.

Oklahoma is not in play, but is run by some people who have no clue how government works. Take a look at this: https://www.readfrontier.org/storie...-report-workers-who-refuse-to-return-to-jobs/

I have known Mr. Kouplen a decent amount of time. He wrote me a card once when I got hired at my old firm. Then about 10 days later he had these guys file a lawsuit against my old boss. We won. (Actually, we kicked their ass, which included me digging around this house for a weekend looking for a document that no one thought existed, but it turns out it did.). His bank does well, I thinks. He’s good at PR. People have invested some money with him.

I don’t think he has any concept of how the unemployment system works/ what it is intended for.

I’m all for “at will” employment and believe businesses absolutely have to be able to terminate people, so long as it doesn’t violate certain protections, such as protected classes .

And I think the way they are framing this goes WAY beyond that. What they are really saying is that if you can’t go back to work for documented health reasons, then you will lose at the initial phase of unemployment and then appeal. So that unemployment insurance that you earned from working hard gets delayed coming to your pocket. That violates any rational basis/ due process right. You are presumed to lose and with the inevitable backlog of cases (heard by a woefully underfunded and understaffed agency), you probably will have to go to work anyway and risk your health sooner than you would want to.

This is bull:crap:.

So the fight is going to the states now. I have a broader hypothesis of what’s going on (Republican governors are trying to save Trump’s fat ass), but it’s fascinating to me to watch this play out. Trump praises some governors for opening up. Then a couple of days later calls out Georgia. And then Darth Maul, I mean Bill Barr, starts threatening states with Democrat governors/ potential election opponents.

Oklahoma is not in play, but is run by some people who have no clue how government works. Take a look at this: https://www.readfrontier.org/storie...-report-workers-who-refuse-to-return-to-jobs/

I have known Mr. Kouplen a decent amount of time. He wrote me a card once when I got hired at my old firm. Then about 10 days later he had these guys file a lawsuit against my old boss. We won. (Actually, we kicked their ass, which included me digging around this house for a weekend looking for a document that no one thought existed, but it turns out it did.). His bank does well, I thinks. He’s good at PR. People have invested some money with him.

I don’t think he has any concept of how the unemployment system works/ what it is intended for.

I’m all for “at will” employment and believe businesses absolutely have to be able to terminate people, so long as it doesn’t violate certain protections, such as protected classes .

And I think the way they are framing this goes WAY beyond that. What they are really saying is that if you can’t go back to work for documented health reasons, then you will lose at the initial phase of unemployment and then appeal. So that unemployment insurance that you earned from working hard gets delayed coming to your pocket. That violates any rational basis/ due process right. You are presumed to lose and with the inevitable backlog of cases (heard by a woefully underfunded and understaffed agency), you probably will have to go to work anyway and risk your health sooner than you would want to.

They're opening up theaters, restaurants, entertainment venues, & gyms in stage 1. What's next sporting venues. And we're supposed to take their guidelines and go back to work when they think it is appropriate.(The employer & the state.)

They open things up in the wrong order, and we just have to abide by our employer if they allow themselves to open up by state guidelines. I feel really sorry for those restaurant/theater/gym workers. They got it bad all the way around from beginning to end.

You don't really have a choice if you are put on the spot by your employer/Stitt. You are forced to go back to work and risk your health, unless you have other means to support yourself. I love how they're going to do it in two week increments. The people will just have begun to get sick at the end of two weeks, and some not even realize it yet. That gives the government leeway to continue to stage 2, and maybe even stage 3, before it begins to become obvious or not, whether it was a mistake.

Another 3.6 million unemployment claims today means that we are probably around 23-24% unemployment and approaching the peak of the great depression

Reactions: Gold*
It’s easy not to notice or to prioritize other things. I just have a sister whose life and career revolves around this stuff so I always hear about it.
Do you realize that many people have decided that they are not going to return to work because they get more money unemployed than they would if they were working?

I haz a question. Can you collect unemployment if you were never employed? Asking for a fiend.

Last edited:
Which is part of what makes this multi trillion dollar “stimulus” even worse, as some people who have never been employed are still awarded the trump checks.

There is clearly a necessary level of legal smart/book smart that need be combined with street smart here in order to understand. Thus I, as a potential jury of “your peers,” find you guilty of not being able to combine & understand both in your conclusion (or at a minimum, guilty of being recklessly careless with your ability to use both in any type of legal analysis.) That’s where I come in & pwn you. No worries, one day I will request your payment TO ME in person for the amount of which I charge for the knowledge with which I will continue to provide you.

Last edited:
Anyone haz an answer? Anyone?

A fiend says wuh.

Whutz if you have no job and complain about those who do?

What if you haz been arrested? Does that affect your unemployment?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW

A fiend says wuh.

Actually being arrested only affects your unemployment if you’re more interested in not being employed ... which would be rare for people who have been arrested.

If you’re trying to hint at something I’m lost. Seriously. If you have something to say, just say it.

A fiend says wuh.

It’s so sad... I rushed to reply to what you posted without actually reading. I haven’t even taken (much less passed) the bar yet I would largely own you in everything legally, I would put you to shame in everything politically. I would expose you as a get-money first hypocrite & demonstrate how you don’t have the actual values you claim to have. You can’t beat me on real news. Can’t beat me on case law nor OK nor Federal precedent (that’s a fact.). That’s why you say stupid nonsense like this because you are threatened.

Don’t worry, if you actually try to debate on legalities with a wager on the line, I promise I will charge you at a discount. I’ll still be charging you next time I see you in person for the knowledge I’ve dropped on you & everyone else on this board.

Last edited:
No response? Look,you don’t have to pass the bar to respond. Anyone? Anyone?

I mean not everyone can take the bar. You have to go to school for some time and pass a background check. They ask questions like, have you ever committed a crime or been arrested? It takes a lot of work to even get all that turned in. You have to find someone to vouch for you everywhere you lived. And if you have any criminal history, even a speeding ticket, they want to talk. Some people don’t make it all the way through because of dumb things.

The process is to determine whether you are morally and mentally fit. Not all of us are morally and mentally fit. But it’s good they have these rules. Otherwise we would waste more time dealing with crooks than we already do.

But that’s why I’d like input from someone who hasn’t even passed the bar. Anyone there?

It’s so sad... I rushed to reply to what you posted without actually reading. I haven’t even taken (much less passed) the bar yet I would largely own you in everything legally, I would put you to shame in everything politically.

I’ll still be charging you next time I see you in person for the knowledge I’ve dropped on you & everyone else on this board.
You wouldn't understand the post if you read it six times, really slowly. You are the worst kind of idiot, that insists through their own idiocy, to completely understand that which they will never understand.(over and over) I sincerely doubt you would pass an adult legal course for no credit.

Ooh, ooh, wait, he's 'slyly' backing down from his threat to Gold* of violent actions. Must be cuz he wants deniable plausibility to pass the bar.

Edited post.

Reactions: Gold*
Nothing can stop what’s coming. Nothing.

Ww.gone.wga

EDIT: I did not know this was an Alex Jones video upon posting it but I watched it & it’s true. All you have to do is look at head to shoulders proportionality. She is a he, enjoy:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT