ADVERTISEMENT

US Debt Service Costs

There was no extra money by 2001. We were in the middle of an economic crisis due to the tech bubble bursting. Companies were failing. Tax receipts were falling. You guys are forgetting the economic dynamics which were at play come 2001 and immediately thereafter.

I’m not saying that Dubya cared a lick about the deficits. He didn’t. His sole priority was digging out of the tech bubble collapse and he care about deficit soending
THATS NOT WHAT I'M SAYING. He gave back the money that was paid on the debt by Clinton, in a Tax Refund. You know, money already paid on the debt was given back to the tax payer, after the fact, and the debt rose back up as a cause of this action. I'm not saying whether I agree with the assessment or not, I'm just relaying what he was trying to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawpoke87
THATS NOT WHAT I'M SAYING. He gave back the money that was paid on the debt by Clinton, in a Tax Refund. You know, money already paid on the debt was given back to the tax payer, after the fact, and the debt rose back up as a cause of this action. I'm not saying whether I agree with the assessment or not, I'm just relaying what he was trying to say.
Ahhhh. Got it. I’m obviously a little dense tonight :).

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Speaking of the dot com bubble…. What effect do you think the tax act of 1997, which rolled back increases on capital gains taxes, had upon the scale of investment speculation in the tech industry which led to the bubble?

Can you say Newt Gingrich children?

Speaking of the dot com bubble…. What effect do you think the tax act of 1997, which rolled back increases on capital gains taxes, had upon the scale of investment speculation in the tech industry which led to the bubble?

Can you say Newt Gingrich children?
Tech was so hot during that time I’m not sure capital gains rates had much to do with the slew of money which went into the sector. Everybody wanted a part of the next big thing and acted accordingly.

That said, lowering capital gain rates does generally encourage investment and growth. It’s one of the few tax policies I see as potentially changing the actions of individuals in a pro growth manner.

Tech was so hot during that time I’m not sure capital gains rates had much to do with the slew of money which went into the sector. Everybody wanted a part of the next big thing and acted accordingly.

That said, lowering capital gain rates does generally encourage investment and growth. It’s one of the few tax policies I see as potentially changing the actions of individuals in a pro growth manner.
What I’m saying is that extraordinary growth would likely have been diminished if the speculative money supply had been diminished. Less ROI = Less investment.

What I’m saying is that extraordinary growth would likely have been diminished if the speculative money supply had been diminished. Less ROI = Less investment.
Certainly possible. Like I said above my only hesitation is that that tech sector was such an attractive place for investors the degree which a drop in capital gains tax rates of 5-8% contributed to the boom is hard for me to quantify. As is the fact that the time required for those investments to be held to qualify for said rates reductions increased from 12 to 18 months which could somewhat counter act the rate decrease. Remember….Greenspan called the mentality which caused the tech bubble as irrational exuberance. Lots of people with money trying to get involved in the latest hot thing without caring about valuations or even sound investment strategies. See people paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for Bored Apes :).

Do you disagree with any of this?

Reactions: HuffyCane
Certainly possible. Like I said above my only hesitation is that that tech sector was such an attractive place for investors the degree which a drop in capital gains tax rates of 5-8% contributed to the boom is hard for me to quantify. As is the fact that the time required for those investments to be held to qualify for said rates reductions increased from 12 to 18 months which could somewhat counter act the rate decrease. Remember….Greenspan called the mentality which caused the tech bubble as irrational exuberance. Lots of people with money trying to get involved in the latest hot thing without caring about valuations or even sound investment strategies. See people paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for Bored Apes :).

Do you disagree with any of this?
Jamie Dimon and Ray Dalio are beginning to be heard, and are getting more airplay on the US debt.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
As is the fact that the time required for those investments to be held to qualify for said rates reductions increased from 12 to 18 months which could somewhat counter act the rate decrease. Remember….Greenspan called the mentality which caused the tech bubble as irrational exuberance
This happened again in the 2018-2022 range with software as a service (SaaS) companies. Their valuations were so far off based on an assumption that the growth of these companies would continue. Covid exacerbated it. I felt it first hand, both in getting a pay out through VC acquisition and then being laid off within a year because they realized how upside down they were and suddenly interest rates weren't basically 0.

2 year treasuries are currently yielding almost 5%. Refinancing $9.3T in debt at 5% when we’ve been paying less than 2% is obviously problematic. I know I’ve been focusing on deficits and spending but maybe getting interest rates down should receive as much if not more attention. The Fed and Admin have been fighting each other for over a year on the interest rate front. Probably time for the Admin to get on the same page as the Fed. Clock is ticking

Kasich warned everyone who would listen about this. By that I mean just about nobody.

We need someone to go on television and explain money costs money and we now pay more on our credit card bill each month than the military. With no payment on the principal and no end in sight.

And it could take a century to retire. We were still paying off bonds from the Spanish-American War up until about 5 years ago.

Reactions: TUMU
Kasich warned everyone who would listen about this. By that I mean just about nobody.

We need someone to go on television and explain money costs money and we now pay more on our credit card bill each month than the military. With no payment on the principal and no end in sight.

And it could take a century to retire. We were still paying off bonds from the Spanish-American War up until about 5 years ago.

Yes, he made too many good points to be the nominee. Lol.

Because neither candidate will actually tackle it and they don’t want to make promises they can’t keep or announce policies that would hurt their candidacy.
Oh I understand why they don’t address it. My point is that the public and press should force them to do the same.

My problem is that I wouldn’t trust anything either of them said on the issue…. Even if they said sensible things.
Hell…at this point I would be happy with either side saying they’ve seen the numbers and understand this isn’t sustainable and plan do address the issue. One of the problems with our political system is issues which need to be fixed but the fix will likely cost votes never gets fixed until we hit a crisis situation. The problem here is once we hit that crisis point there’s going to be a lot of pain on Main Street before this ship gets righted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT