ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa FC at TU vs lower level team in Open

mcane

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I couldn’t go and can’t find a score or video. Anyone there at TU who can update? Thanks

I did not see the game, but the Northern Colorado team wiped out the athletic team. It wasn't even a game. They were freakin' stout.

I did not see the game, but the Northern Colorado team wiped out the athletic team. It wasn't even a game. They were freakin' stout.
Speaking of Tulsa Athletic, apparently NPSL has told them they cannot play home games at Hicks Park calling it "an open public park". I can't disagree with NPSL. Athletic has filed for an injunction. I know they've done work on it but they can't possibly pass off the 2 locker rooms in the community center there as appropriate for this level of play. Also, there is a security issue playing there. There were 2 kids murdered there around 2017 if I remember correctly (they were ORU students at the time).

My guess is Sonny gets a deal on the field cost/rental vs playing at any of the high schools or TU or ORU. I keep wanting Rogers to push for Union because then the soccer teams could get the concessions proceeds.

Speaking of Tulsa Athletic, apparently NPSL has told them they cannot play home games at Hicks Park calling it "an open public park". I can't disagree with NPSL. Athletic has filed for an injunction. I know they've done work on it but they can't possibly pass off the 2 locker rooms in the community center there as appropriate for this level of play. Also, there is a security issue playing there. There were 2 kids murdered there around 2017 if I remember correctly (they were ORU students at the time).

My guess is Sonny gets a deal on the field cost/rental vs playing at any of the high schools or TU or ORU. I keep wanting Rogers to push for Union because then the soccer teams could get the concessions proceeds.
Union's stands suck badly. It is just true. The field and locker room are decent, and that is about it. How it connects with the field sucks too. It is terrible to walk through the crowd to the locker room.

Hicks is just so fun.

I don't feel that much safer at 65th and Garnett.

Reactions: T_Hans
Union's stands suck badly. It is just true. The field and locker room are decent, and that is about it. How it connects with the field sucks too. It is terrible to walk through the crowd to the locker room.

Hicks is just so fun.

I don't feel that much safer at 65th and Garnett.
The stands at Union are generic, so yes I agree in that regard. But BAs is no better in their little erector set. And Jenks is a no go because they play on old turf, a field that is only about 59 yds wide, and honestly, Hunter Dwelley Stadium is probably the worst of the area 6A schools and definitely should not be used for soccer.

And yes, a little awkward for the walk from the locker room to the field but the locker rooms are actually really nice and an actual concession stand. And yes, there's plenty of room on the concourse to bring in the food trucks. The one thing that might be a hang up with any of the high schools is alcohol sales and really that's probably the biggest reason why Athletic fans are resistant to it.

The stands at Union are generic, so yes I agree in that regard. But BAs is no better in their little erector set. And Jenks is a no go because they play on old turf, a field that is only about 59 yds wide, and honestly, Hunter Dwelley Stadium is probably the worst of the area 6A schools and definitely should not be used for soccer.

And yes, a little awkward for the walk from the locker room to the field but the locker rooms are actually really nice and an actual concession stand. And yes, there's plenty of room on the concourse to bring in the food trucks. The one thing that might be a hang up with any of the high schools is alcohol sales and really that's probably the biggest reason why Athletic fans are resistant to it.
Jenks sucks really bad; BA's stands situation is even worse than the union's.

Rogers might actually be the best high school stadium. That isn't a joke. Since it was redone, it is actually pretty nice. I don't like things with a track around it though. Tulsa teams should not be playing in suburban high school stadiums. That is a fact.

If it can't sell beer, that is a non-starter.

Soccer should be played on grass.

Soccer should be played on grass.
This we can agree on.

If Trimble/Hunter-Dwelley or whatever they're calling it now got new turf last summer that's news to me. It's still the worst of the 6A stadiums in the area and Bixby is not far behind but at least Bixby is getting a new stadium thanks to a bond passage. I'm surprised Jenks hasn't passed a new bond to replace the stadium or at least rebuild the stands without looking like a kid's erector set project. With the open transfer rule in Oklahoma, my guess is kids are going to start looking at facilities and Union is going to be A1 althought BA and their 2 indoor practice facilities would be right there as well...but I can't imagine anyone thinking they're challenging for a state championship under their current head coach.

BA and Union probably have the best all around soccer facilities in the east. Jenks has a brand new practice facility which is fantastic but they didn't really put stands around either field, which they should and use as their home soccer complex. No soccer team should be forced to play on a football field, ever. Hell, the line markings confuse the referees too. I mean if a field is lined for football as well as soccer, there should never really be a question about how far 10 yards is when restarting with a free kick...right? Yet here we are with grown as adult referees allowing teams to only be 8 yards away because somehow that math and logic are too difficult for them.

Union's soccer complex is getting an overhaul soon. New turf (which I wish they would put in grass) and lights and possibly a video scoreboard for the main field).

This we can agree on.

If Trimble/Hunter-Dwelley or whatever they're calling it now got new turf last summer that's news to me. It's still the worst of the 6A stadiums in the area and Bixby is not far behind but at least Bixby is getting a new stadium thanks to a bond passage. I'm surprised Jenks hasn't passed a new bond to replace the stadium or at least rebuild the stands without looking like a kid's erector set project. With the open transfer rule in Oklahoma, my guess is kids are going to start looking at facilities and Union is going to be A1 althought BA and their 2 indoor practice facilities would be right there as well...but I can't imagine anyone thinking they're challenging for a state championship under their current head coach.

BA and Union probably have the best all around soccer facilities in the east. Jenks has a brand new practice facility which is fantastic but they didn't really put stands around either field, which they should and use as their home soccer complex. No soccer team should be forced to play on a football field, ever. Hell, the line markings confuse the referees too. I mean if a field is lined for football as well as soccer, there should never really be a question about how far 10 yards is when restarting with a free kick...right? Yet here we are with grown as adult referees allowing teams to only be 8 yards away because somehow that math and logic are too difficult for them.

Union's soccer complex is getting an overhaul soon. New turf (which I wish they would put in grass) and lights and possibly a video scoreboard for the main field).
I looked it up Jenks did get new turf in that old stadium. Everyone wants to play on grass like at TU but no one wants to pay the cost to maintain it and if you practice Men's and Women's plus games, it wouldn't be as pristine.

Reactions: TU_BLA
This we can agree on.

An indoor practice field? Oh, my God! I am so transferring. I need to go down to Regent to go ball out. Did the current head coach at BA lose 1-0 in the state finals last year, and are they 13-1 now? 2021 BA lost in the state finals. Sometimes, I love your takes. They are amusing. Keep them coming.

I am going to play soccer with the best players and the best coaches. That is the only reason. Only a complete ding-a-ling transfers for any other reason. Sapulpa may have the best field, but I am not transferring to play soccer there. Sorry dude.

In Jenks there was some issue with the airport and lights not creating a stadium there. I don't know the exact details; that is just what I heard.

Speaking of turf, does anyone know why on many of these new fields there are areas where the turf isn’t glued down? Faulty installation ? Supposed to be that way ?

Speaking of turf, does anyone know why on many of these new fields there are areas where the turf isn’t glued down? Faulty installation ? Supposed to be that way ?
Turf rests on top of a fine gravel. It is only held by a nailer board on the edges. The infill holds the rest down.

In Jenks there was some issue with the airport and lights not creating a stadium there. I don't know the exact details; that is just what I heard.
That's probably true and after Titan installed their stuff north of the airport the airport commission probably nixed any ideas Jenks PS had of adding any more lights in and around the airport.

Hicks Park meets NPSL standards. the soccer facility has all the requirements needed and it’s not an open park as there’s a fence around the field.

Also there’s not a security issue there. Hicks Park has tons of other events out there. Heck rec soccer is played there. The whole reason Tulsa Athletic started playing out there was to help improve that area. And Hicks keeps adding other activities out there. I go to every game and have never once thought the area was unsafe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT