ADVERTISEMENT

Understading vaccine efficacy

are those refusing to get vaccinated, Trumpers?

Depends on which group of unvaccinated you’re talking about. The ones vocally opposed trend toward lower income trump voters and minorities. The ones that are just “hesitant” but can be persuaded are disproportionately apolitical.

Last edited:
Depends on which group of unvaccinated you’re talking about. The ones vocally opposed trend toward lower income trump voters and minorities. The ones that are just “hesitant” but can be persuaded are disproportionately apolitical.
According to the latest CNN poll results 😉

according to a Pew poll before covid, non-vaxcer leaned left. Where was your group condemnation then?

That’s coming from a soldier who probably never had to take the anthrax shot!

Not sure what you’re saying. I had vaccines for anthrax, smallpox, mmr, and several others.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
When I left the service my yellow, international shot card consisted of two completely filled out cards stapled together, plague, yellow fever, rabies, smallpox, etc. etc. Thank you VN. , No one asked my permission. We were just told which line to get in to have whatever stuff shot into your arm with an air pressure gun. Add in pneumonia, shingles, flu shots, Covid and other vaccines Medicare pays for and my immune system has been through quite a conditioning program. No downsides yet, and I rarely even get a cold.

When I left the service my yellow, international shot card consisted of two completely filled out cards stapled together, plague, yellow fever, rabies, smallpox, etc. etc. Thank you VN. , No one asked my permission. We were just told which line to get in to have whatever stuff shot into your arm with an air pressure gun. Add in pneumonia, shingles, flu shots, Covid and other vaccines Medicare pays for and my immune system has been through quite a conditioning program. No downsides yet, and I rarely even get a cold.
Yes, very true. There has been talk, even in the media, that one of the two pills we took in VN was actually for Leprosy. We took one daily that if you didn't take by midnight they woke you to sign that you took. You didn't have to take it, just sign the list that you did. Another was weekly and caused diaria.

Stand still or the air gun would cut you if you moved.

Not sure what you’re saying. I had vaccines for anthrax, smallpox, mmr, and several others.
Did we demean or belittle soldiers who chose not to get the anthrax vaccination and call them anti Vaxers or conspiracy theorist? I know plenty of soldiers that are collecting disability checks now due to that vaccination. The soldiers that got article 15s for refusing to get that shot are the ones laughing now. Questioning and critically analyzing the data doesn’t make that person a deplorable or Neanderthals.

Did we demean or belittle soldiers who chose not to get the anthrax vaccination and call them anti Vaxers or conspiracy theorist? I know plenty of soldiers that are collecting disability checks now due to that vaccination. The soldiers that got article 15s for refusing to get that shot are the ones laughing now. Questioning and critically analyzing the data doesn’t make that person a deplorable or Neanderthals.

I don’t know anyone who refused, but that’s because my friends aren’t little bitches

My oh my, if it doesn't end in hospitalization or death then the person was probably affected in a beneficial way despite having caught it after vaccination.

You post bogus sources 90% of the time and search for slants(bad sources or not) to prove the vaccine is bad. All the while the vaccine has proven very effective with minimal side effects, whether prove to be caused by the vaccine or not. A gullible hammer 🔨swinger looking for the illusion of a nail. Whack away at that air.

Reactions: URedskin54
People who don’t know how to do math don’t understand how incredibly effective the vaccines must be for there to have only been 5,800 recorded infections of fully vaccinated people

My oh my, if it doesn't end in hospitalization or death then the person was probably affected in a beneficial way despite having caught it after vaccination.

You post bogus sources 90% of the time and search for slants(bad sources or not) to prove the vaccine is bad. All the while the vaccine has proven very effective with minimal side effects, whether prove to be caused by the vaccine or not. A gullible hammer 🔨swinger looking for the illusion of a nail. Whack away at that air.
This vaccination is still in the experimental stage. It has not been approved YET. During an experiment, the side effects must be scrutinized. If the side effects outweigh the good, it won’t ever make it out of experimental use. AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson know this well. Information is free to all and everyone should have the good, bad, and the ugly before possible altering their life forever.

It is "Emergency"Not "Experimental" Authorization.​

The EUA Process​

EUA is slightly different, but consists of all the same steps, but not necessarily in the same linear order. Development of a vaccine during an EUA is the same as during the standard FDA process. In this case, COVID-19 was studied (on a global, never-before-seen scale) and companies like Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson created vaccines. These companies thentested their vaccines in clinical trials under the supervision of the FDA. These trials followed the same practices as the standard process described above except in the EUA process, companies can ask the FDA to review the vaccine for EUA status before final long-term testing and information, that is required in the standard process, is complete. This means there are less long-term results for the FDA to review, but the information that is available is still thoroughly reviewed and includes the information needed to determine if a vaccine is safe.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and TUMe
When discussing vaccines, please note that the number of deaths and the number of new cases has plumited. That is the purpose of a vaccine.

We are pushing 400,000 deaths but once the vaccines started becoming available the situation is much better.

Thanks for letting us know it's still super safe!
Anything that goes on, he'll definitely be on top of it.

Still waiting to see him find out if it causes athletes foot. That would definitely be a travesty, but I've heard rumors...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: URedskin54
When discussing vaccines, please note that the number of deaths and the number of new cases has plumited. That is the purpose of a vaccine.

We are pushing 400,000 deaths but once the vaccines started becoming available the situation is much better.
Actually we are pushing 600,000 deaths in US now, but your point is spot on. Vaccines make all the difference.

However in countries like Canada, Japan, and Australia which are still almost completely unvaccinated, the infection and death rates were much much lower because they consistently followed public health protocols.

Last edited:
Fwiw to this point there is no correlation between stringency of non-pharmaceutical interventions taken by governments and rate of death. The biggest factors (demographics, climate, geography, etc.) are baked in.

WATU: Actually we are pushing 600,000 deaths in US now, but your point is spot on. Vaccines make all the difference.

Senior Moment. I knew that

tn_us-flag.gif

United States​

Coronavirus Cases:​

Deaths:​

• Wow
Reactions: watu05
WATU: Actually we are pushing 600,000 deaths in US now, but your point is spot on. Vaccines make all the difference.

Senior Moment. I knew that

tn_us-flag.gif

United States​

Coronavirus Cases:​

Deaths:​

I know the feeling..

Reactions: TUMe
So, we have now had more deaths due to covid than the US combat Deaths in WWI, WWII, and the Civil War combined? Looking like we will almost assuredly finish with more US deaths than all of the US combat deaths ever (minus Vietnam’s 47K)

I find it interesting that we will call Jimmy Carter a poor president for his (mis)handling of a hostage situation with fewer than 30 people while he eventually helped come home. But when the former Commander in Chief lies to the American public repeatedly and at least exacerbated an epidemic that led to more people dying than had ever died in all of the US battles ever... Trump gets a pass though. And that’s before we even talk about the fact that he tried to coordinate political attacks with historic enemies of the United States and tried to carry out a political coup using lies and subversion.... but Carter... Carter was the bad guy because he couldn’t handle interest rates or gas prices.

Some people’s priorities are royally f’d. “But her emails!” “It’s no worse than the flu”

Last edited:
So, we have now had more deaths due to covid than the US combat Deaths in WWI, WWII, and the Civil War combined? Looking like we will almost assuredly finish with more US deaths than all of the US combat deaths ever (minus Vietnam’s 47K)

I find it interesting that we will call Jimmy Carter a poor president for his (mis)handling of a hostage situation with fewer than 30 people while he eventually helped come home. But when the former Commander in Chief lies to the American public repeatedly and at least exacerbated an epidemic that led to more people dying than had ever died in all of the US battles ever... Trump gets a pass though. And that’s before we even talk about the fact that he tried to coordinate political attacks with historic enemies of the United States and tried to carry out a political coup using lies and subversion.... but Carter... Carter was the bad guy because he couldn’t handle interest rates or gas prices.

Some people’s priorities are royally f’d. “But her emails!” “It’s no worse than the flu”
Who was comparing Jimmy Carter,(Economic ills) with Trump's problems?(most significant being how he handled pandemic) Nobody was, that I saw. (aTUfan doesn't count, Darwin winner)

Because we make valid criticism of a democratic president, you distract with a Trump comparison? Your ego seems awfully tied to your political party, that you can't handle a little criticism of Carter. A ton of Democrats are critical of Carter.

I think Trump was a :crap: president, but I’m not superstitious enough to blame him for plagues or George Bush for steering a hurricane into New Orleans.

We performed about the same as every other travel hub non-water locked country, which is really to say that “performance” was pretty much irrelevant to outcome for countries like ours. There are outliers both ways, but orange man bad was largely irrelevant to where we ended up. As terrible as his leadership was, I can separate my feelings for the man from my judgment of what was and wasn’t effective for countries at the macro level.

Last edited:
Who was comparing Jimmy Carter,(Economic ills) with Trump's problems?(most significant being how he handled pandemic) Nobody was, that I saw. (aTUfan doesn't count, Darwin winner)

Because we make valid criticism of a democratic president, you distract with a Trump comparison? Your ego seems awfully tied to your political party, that you can't handle a little criticism of Carter. A ton of Democrats are critical of Carter.
I just think it’s ironic that in discussions of the comparable quality of administrations, Carter gets so much crap and guys like Trump are defended despite having problems so much more egregious that it’s almost incomprehensible. Democrats criticize Carter because he did deserve criticism. But many (not all) Republicans refuse to criticize anyone in their party no matter how poorly they do by comparison to their democratic counterparts. I understand and acknowledge the criticism of Carter even though I don’t agree with all of them. Same goes for Clinton and Johnson as well.

My contention was basically combining ideas given on multiple threads. I don’t think it’s legitimate to defend Trump (in any scenario) and at the same time rag on Carter. Because the two, as I’ve said had such vastly different levels of poor administrations. One is like a linebacker that misses a couple tackles and loses your team a few games. The other is like a quarterback who takes out a gun shoots a bunch of his own teammates on the field and then tried to deny to the fans that he did it and to convince them that he should still be quarterback. In the meantime he’s winking at the opposing team’s head coach (Putin).

Last edited:
I think Trump was a :crap: president, but I’m not superstitious enough to blame him for plagues or George Bush for steering a hurricane into New Orleans.

We performed about the same as every other travel hub non-water locked country, which is really to say that “performance” was pretty much irrelevant to outcome for countries like ours. There are outliers both ways, but orange man bad was largely irrelevant to where we ended up. As terrible as his leadership was, I can separate my feelings for the man from my judgment of what was and wasn’t effective for countries at the macro level.
You see, I will tell you that you are wrong on your second point. No one is arguing that he alone caused 600,000 people to die... everyone understands that the he did not create the virus or make it infect people. The point is, what would that number have been had he taken the issue more seriously to his own base as well as to those not in his base? Could he have saved 10K lives? 50K lives? 100K? 200K? I believe he could have saved a substantial number of lives (more than were killed in combat in several of America’s smaller modern wars like Korea, Vietnam, WWI) if he had been more proactive on mask wearing, and had told the truth more frequently instead of blatantly lying. I’m not blaming him for 600K deaths. But I am blaming him for some number that’s greater than 1. My point about Carter was that, as poor as his administration was, very few died as a result of it. They may have suffered some temporary hardships...but they lived on. We had years of investigations Fox news story after Fox news story about Benghazi and only a few people dyed in that, at the hand of foreign terrorists. Do we not think that more people died as a direct result of Trump’s actions than died in Benghazi? I would wager that we could find more than enough situations that would support that claim. (Exhibit A: Herman Cain)

BTW. These qualms aren’t observances made in hindsight. Many people including those in the medical community were saying AT THE TIME that he needed to be more proactive about masks and needed to stop lying needlessly about the virus. It’s not a case of hindsight is 20/20 like it was with some things that happened under Carter and something like interest rates being used to combat inflation. We knew that masks worked (hence Japan and Korea not being as heavily effected)

BTW, most non-lunatic people I’ve heard criticize Bush for Katrina, was more about his administration’s handling of the aftermath. No one with any brain thinks he caused a hurricane because he hates New Orleans. Some might believe that he didn’t feel as great a need to help New Orleans expediently because of the makeup of its constituency.

Last edited:
BTW, most non-lunatic people I’ve heard criticize Bush for Katrina, was more about his administration’s handling of the aftermath. No one with any brain thinks he caused a hurricane because he hates New Orleans. Some might believe that he didn’t feel as great a need to help New Orleans expediently because of the makeup of its constituency.

And those people are dumb, like Kanye

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT