ADVERTISEMENT

Things that make you scratch your head

'Cane-man

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2002
I took a promotional offer from the Tulsa Whirled online subscription for just one dollar for six months. I received an e-mail explaining that my six months was expiring and the rate would raise to $10.99 per month. So I call in to cancel and they offer me another six months at no charge. I guess they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But how do they make any money?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I took a promotional offer from the Tulsa Whirled online subscription for just one dollar for six months. I received an e-mail explaining that my six months was expiring and the rate would raise to $10.99 per month. So I call in to cancel and they offer me another six months at no charge. I guess they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But how do they make any money?
$11 per mo seems a little high for no cost on printing the newspaper and delivering it. They should have gone with something a little more reasonable like $8, with the idea that a lot more people would accept something around that price point, and not try to cancel. There is no extra cost for them to add you on, except bookkeeping. Instead they are making their money on an incredibly reduced paper w/ less salary cost, and charging this ridiculous price of something like $130 for three months delivery to 70 year olds.(1 1/2-2 year old price point) And keeping unqualified editors like pooper scooper at a lower salary.

Last edited:
Maybe more eyeballs for adverts?

Reactions: TU_BLA
Maybe more eyeballs for adverts?
So the World would track clicks on their site and the advertisers can track clicks to their site FROM the TW. In reality the TW is selling # of engagements to advertisers. By keeping someone subscribed to an online account even at $1 or $0, it literally costs them nothing since they are not spending extra money to print extra physical copies. BUT they can go to a potential advertiser and say "We have this many physical subscribers, and x number of online subscribers who could see and click your ad."

Reactions: drboobay
So the World would track clicks on their site and the advertisers can track clicks to their site FROM the TW. In reality the TW is selling # of engagements to advertisers. By keeping someone subscribed to an online account even at $1 or $0, it literally costs them nothing since they are not spending extra money to print extra physical copies. BUT they can go to a potential advertiser and say "We have this many physical subscribers, and x number of online subscribers who could see and click your ad."
If they wanted to go for that strategy, they could offer it at something low, and get that on top of the advertising money. Drop the offered subscription to something ridiculous, like $5 or $6. A lot of people will balk at $11 but give in to something as low as $6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT