ADVERTISEMENT

It's still with us...Covid spiking this summer

watu05

I.T.S. Senior
Mar 19, 2021
Measures of Covid rates including virus levels in wastewater, ER visits, test positivity and hospital admissions are increasing nationally, according to the most recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. The good news is that we are starting from very low rates.

WSJ article

I know several people who have tested positive here in Tulsa in the last week….and yes, they are vaccinated :)

I have 3 people out this am with Covid. I suspect numbers both locally and nationally are being widely under reported.

There is no static "it" rather a constantly evolving virus that is killing people. @#$#@#$ ignore button.

There is no static "it" rather a constantly evolving virus that is killing people. @#$#@#$ ignore button.
You don’t think the vaccine coming out in the fall is designed for the current variant everyone is now catching ? Now…how effective will it be against the next variant….who knows. Quit thinking this is similar to the flu vaccine. It’s not.

Last edited:
Scientists identify new Omicron descendent, BA.2.86, designated by WHO as variant under monitoring; EG.5 continues global spread

The uptick in global COVID-19 activity is a reminder that the virus is here to stay and always evolving. Virologists in Israel and Denmark have reported 3 sequences of what looks like a direct descendent of the BA.2 Omicron lineage, now being called BA.2.86. WHO has designated it as a variant under monitoring, as it has a large number of mutations that need further review. As of this morning, scientists confirmed another sequence collected in Michigan on August 3.

Meanwhile, the new Omicron variant EG.5 is gaining ground around the world. In the US, EG.5 is now the dominant variant causing COVID-19 cases, although it remains unclear if that variant is directly responsible for rising test positivity rate, hospitalizations, emergency department visits, and wastewater signals. Several factors are driving the increase, including waning immunity, more people gathering indoors because of extreme heat, an uptick in large gatherings (such as concerts and movies), fewer people taking precautions such as wearing a mask or testing and isolating when they have symptoms, and more people believing the risk of COVID-19 is low.

From Johns Hopkins newsletter.

The new coronavirus booster expected to become available in late September is designed to target the XBB.1.5 variant, which is largely similar to the other variantsin circulation. Testing is underway to determine whether the booster will be effective against BA.2.86. But because BA.2.86 is so significantly mutated, some virologists are concerned that it can easily bypass the protection from infection the new booster would provide.

This latest covid variant could be the best yet at evading immunity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/08/25/covid-variant-ba-2-86-pirola/

Reactions: drboobay
WHO knew that a Chinese bio-weapon made by cheap underage slave labor could be this effective. Its outlasted at least 2 TVs and three pairs of sneakers..

WHO knew that a Chinese bio-weapon made by cheap underage slave labor could be this effective. Its outlasted at least 2 TVs and three pairs of sneakers..
You should buy a tv and sneakers not made in china.

Doesn’t appear to be a lot of confidence in the “booster” coming out this fall

Biden, who is vacationing in the Lake Tahoe area, was asked by a reporter on Friday if he could say anything about the uptick of COVID cases and a new variant.

"Yes, I can," the president said. "I signed off this morning on a proposal we have to present to Congress a request for additional funding for a new vaccine that is necessary, that works."

I still dont understand why a vaccinated person needs to worry about the unvaccinated.

and yes. I am fully vaccinated. my choice

I still dont understand why a vaccinated person needs to worry about the unvaccinated.

and yes. I am fully vaccinated. my choice
At this point I mostly agreed except for the immunocompromised.

We have multiple friends who have come down with Covid recently. School is back in session and no one is wearing masks on planes or in airports. Add in the recent death of a healthy friend to Covid and it's hard to ignore here that Covid is back, mutating, and still a serious issue. Looking forward to the RSV/flu/Covid shot next month.

We have multiple friends who have come down with Covid recently. School is back in session and no one is wearing masks on planes or in airports. Add in the recent death of a healthy friend to Covid and it's hard to ignore here that Covid is back, mutating, and still a serious issue. Looking forward to the RSV/flu/Covid shot next month.
How recently did your healthy friend die from covid?

Covid went through my office and family last month. Bad cold or very mild flu is the best way I could describe all the cases. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Couple of months ago. He came down with it, took Paxlovid, got better then took a turn for the worse, went to hospital and died within 36 hours. He was vaxed and had first rate medical care and insurance, but lived in a Texas city where few if any paid attention to Covid. It still weighs on us.
Locally we have friends who have just had or now have Covid. City meetings have gone back to 'hybrid' meaning you can attend in person or on Zoom. Starting to see masks in the grocery store again.

Last edited:
Couple of months ago. He came down with it, took Paxlovid, got better then took a turn for the worse, went to hospital and died within 36 hours. He was vaxed and had first rate medical care and insurance, but lived in a Texas city where few if any paid attention to Covid. It still weighs on us.
Locally we have friends who have just had or now have Covid. City meetings have gone back to 'hybrid' meaning you can attend in person or on Zoom. Starting to see masks in the grocery store again.

Sorry to hear bout your friend. Haven't heard about covid cases killing anybody healthy or sick lately, until your friend. Hopefully that was an exception to most of what's going around. I am waiting for that new shot to be released. Haven't been vaccinated for about a year now. Hopefully I won't catch it before that new shot comes out.

Sorry to hear bout your friend. Haven't heard about covid cases killing anybody healthy or sick lately, until your friend. Hopefully that was an exception to most of what's going around. I am waiting for that new shot to be released. Haven't been vaccinated for about a year now. Hopefully I won't catch it before that new shot comes out.
The risk that affects more people is long Covid which there is not a lot of data on except that it affects a lot more people than most people know. It seems to be associated with a range of factors including repeat infections, underlying health, and just back luck. It's effects can be very debilitating.

Everything they are publishing about recently on liberal networks like CNN are saying the newer strains are not as contagious, and it is less serious of an illness than before. So your friend does seem like an exception to the rule.

I don't necessarily take what they are saying about long covid to be 100% factual. It might be, but the jury is still out on that. There are symptoms that can be hypochondria based phantom symptoms. I haven't seen an article lately. But I saw one from a fairly unbiased source(not fox, newsmax, etc) over a year ago that showed diseases which can be and are imagined in a lot of the cases, to be prevalent in the people who were diagnosed with Long Covid.(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, etc.)

my doctors - primary care and at MD Anderson - have recommended I get what will now apparently be an annual vaccine for it, just like the flu and for older folks, the new RSV vaccine. I must be entering my second childhood because I seem to be getting more vaccinations just like I did when I was young.

Reactions: watu05
biden, fauchi, cdc, who, ... all admitted that the numbers were padded.
In what way? Do you have a web link from a credible source? I must say that I have not followed this stuff at all for more than a year.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
my doctors - primary care and at MD Anderson - have recommended I get what will now apparently be an annual vaccine for it, just like the flu and for older folks, the new RSV vaccine. I must be entering my second childhood because I seem to be getting more vaccinations just like I did when I was young.
I wonder how close we are to a Covid vaccine which will be effective for a year? Suppose it might depend on the definition of “effective”.

Reactions: TU 1978
I wonder how close we are to a Covid vaccine which will be effective for a year? Suppose it might depend on the definition of “effective”.
True. Of course, they’ve missed predicting the flu strain with the proper vaccine in past years as well.

Reactions: noble cane
True. Of course, they’ve missed predicting the flu strain with the proper vaccine in past years as well.
Covid vaccine should be a little different. You can research what strain the current vaccine is formulated and then compare to the percentage that strain currently makes up compared to the overall covid cases. Now I have no idea what type of protection if any the vaccine will give you against new strains which are now the predominant strains we’re seeing.

Covid vaccine should be a little different. You can research what strain the current vaccine is formulated and then compare to the percentage that strain currently makes up compared to the overall covid cases. Now I have no idea what type of protection if any the vaccine will give you against new strains which are now the predominant strains we’re seeing.
The new strains are related to the strain it was designed for. It protects fairly well for those it is directly related. Reports on this have just been released in the last day or two.

Only 43% of those polled say they will get the booster which leaves quite a large pool of people for the virus to continue to both spread the virus and support its mutation into variants. It will be with us for a long, long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT