ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Softball Feb. 26-28

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
TU won game one vs. Weber St, 5-3 in 8 innings. TU pushed across the tying run in the top of the 6th after conceding a run in the bottom of the 1st. TU strung together some hits combined with a Weber St error in the 8th. Weber St pushed across 2 2-out runs in the bottom of the 8th. Caitlin Sill pitched the complete game for the W.

So far in game 2, TU leads #10 Texas 3-0 in the top of the 2nd. TU can certainly hit just about anyone any team runs into the circle. They're getting HRs up and down the lineup.

Emily Watson limited Texas to 2 hits. She had 6 K's through 3 innings. She may be that stopper and dominant pitcher TU lacked last year. They certainly have the bats to compete this year

Now what's Mr. they're gonna suck got to say, I'm sure he got a tight come back line set up for his friends who should 'know what they're talking bout.'

Emily Watson ended up with 12Ks for the game. She is absolutely dominating right now.

One game doesnt define a season..we will see what happens..right..didnt hear gmoney after 13 errors...lets see how the season plays out and yeah they should know since their kid plays for them

Scoreboard, 10-2 w/ win against top 10 team.

U apparently are not very good at admitting when u are wrong. Let me give u a clue, a little humility is a good start. Humility is not always a sign of weakness. It all comes down to how u handle it.

Gmoney, i have no personal inside info...im not a part of the program..maybe they are wrong..who knows..we will see..its one persons opinion who has personal knowledge

...but u state other peoples opinions over, and over, and over, and over, and over, as if u have a personal vendetta against the program... We get it, we got it yesterday, and the day before. You seem to have some personal desire to make this an issue, maybe because it puts u in what u think is the spotlight. In my opinion, when stated over and over, it actually becomes the duncelight. You expressed your personal 'insights' into the program, now just let it go.

TU beats Texas for the 2nd day in a row, same 3-0 score. Texas was limited to 2 hits. TU actually missed several good opportunities to push across 3-4 more runs.

Caitlin Sill with the win. While she doesn't seem to have the overpowering stuff Watson brings, she pitches to contact and the D has been making the plays behind her.

SoftballDad...this TU team is pretty good. They seem to have answered the questions about whether or not they have enough pitching to contend with the upper teams and this lineup has shown it can pretty much hit against anyone. As long as the D holds up, TU should be in line for an NCAA spot. Will you shut up about playing favorites then?

Ill ask...i havent seen them play but will go the game against ou...nice wins against texas for sure..btw, since the season i havent said anything in regards to the team except the 13 errors which all can agree was awful...they seem to have corrected that

Yes. But defense is always suspect to start the season when you don't get much outdoor work.

I think everyone's biggest question was is there a stopper on the pitching staff. Watson seems to be that type of pitcher. I thin she has had 12+ K's in her last 3 starts including a school record tying 17 last weekend. She K'd 12 UT batters yesterday. Sill, while not overpowering hitters, has been pretty savvy and hitters are just not making solid contact against her.

Even if the pitchers have and off game...the prevailing lineup can hit. Very few strikeouts in TUs part and line drive hitters top to bottom and the Withee who is leading off puts a ton of pressure because she seems to always be on base.

The potential in this group of players is pretty good. Our shortstop play must improve to win close games against the slappers. Got to have good anticipation and a quick release.

Weekend 3-2
Overall 11-4

Friday
Game 1 W 5-3 (in 8)

Tulsa 5 runs on 9 Hits had 1 Error 10 LOB
Weber State 3 runs on 6 hits had 1 Error and 8 LOB
Notable:
Catherine Horner was 3 for 4 with a double an RBI and scored twice
Shelby Estocado was 2 for 4 both doubles and 3 RBI and scored once.
Caitlin Sill pitched all 8 with 2 ER on 6 hits 5 BB and had 5 K

Game 2 W 3-0
Tulsa 3 runs on 6 hits had 1 Error and 6 LOB
Texas 0 runs on 2 hits had 1 Error and 6 LOB
Notable:
Shelby Estocado was 2 for 3 with a HR and 2 RBI
Emily Watson pitched the complete game with 2 hits 2 BB and 12 K

Saturday
Game1 W 3-0

Tulsa 3 runs on 11 hits had 1 Error and 10 LOB
Texas 0 runs on 2 hits had 0 Errors and 5 LOB
Notable:
Every position player had at least 1 hit, Estocado and Edmiston had 2 each
Horner and Sheffield each doubled.
Caitlin Sill pitched the complete game with 2 hits 2 BB and 1 K

Game 2 L 1-2
Abilene Christian 2 runs on 5 hits had 1 Error with 4 LOB
Tulsa had 1 run on 6 hits 0 Errors with 7 LOB
Notable:
Maggie Withee was 2 for 4 with the RBI
Ellie Reaves pitched 5.1 with 1 ER 1 BB 1 HBP and had 3 K
Emily Watson pitched 1.2 with 1 ER 0 BB 1 WP and had 1 K

Sunday L 4-5
Tulsa 4 runs on 7 hits had 3 errors 9 LOB
Illinois 5 runs on 7 hits had 2 errors with 8 LOB
Notable:
Maddie Withee was 2 for 4 with an RBI (but had 4 LOB)
Julia Hollingsworth doubled, Stole a base and scored a run
Emily Watson pitched 1.2 with 2 ER on 4 hits 2 BB and 1 K
Ellie Reaves pitched 4.1 with 1 ER one 3 hits 1 BB and 1 K

Obviously a big emotional letdown after not only beating but dominating Texas 2 games, pitching was not sharp after that.
However, with my previously noted bias noted give ACU props for having a solid game. I said they were better than their record indicated.
The Illinois game had too many unearned runs and runners left on base.

Emotional consistency will come. Frequently a team thinks they are better than having to focus 100% every pitch of every game after they dominate a supposedly greater opponent 2 games in a row. Again...this team has plenty of hitting to carry it and with Sills/Watson, enough pitching to hold for the hitting to come through. This team will be fine long term this year. Defense still has to improve...not sure if there is a player on the bench who could come in and play middle infield in games late as that seems to be where the most E issues are. Have to have solid middle infielders in this game.

I watched the tape delayed game vs Illinois, all 3 middle kids played...Estocado at ss, Neal at 2nd and Allen in right ...in the 5th or so he put Allen at 2nd, Neal at ss and Estacado in right...kinda curious...

American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week!

Caitlin Sill
2 wins
0.93 ERA
2 Complete Games.

Tulsa listed at number 7 in ERA 1.24

Last edited:
I watched the tape delayed game vs Illinois, all 3 middle kids played...Estocado at ss, Neal at 2nd and Allen in right ...in the 5th or so he put Allen at 2nd, Neal at ss and Estacado in right...kinda curious...

I thought that I saw the same thing. Coach seems to be addressing the obvious. With the high error rate there are also too many infield hits given up that don't show up in the stats as to, the reason why. The 1st baseman, as long as she is, does not stretch out far enough to get the ball. It's a perfect position for her she needs to play under control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT