ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa softball

Up 14-3 after a grand slam in top of the 7th. The bats are working.

TU is on the cusp of being a power team again. A couple more pieces and I could see us get there.

The bats are really good...the only weekend they sort of went dead was vs North Texas.
Strimple has always been a great hitting coach. She is even good with calling the right defenses. Her weakness has always been pitching. If she could get a nice pitching coach as her assistant then I think this team would do damage. I have noticed it seems this year Strimple has stepped away from her involvement in pitching a little and we are seeing a positive result. She really is a good coach and recognizing where you come up short is a strength and not a weakness. Knowing when to step back is a strength and not a weakness. I am impressed with her decisions this year so far.

Reactions: dlsnid and TU_BLA
Strimple has always been a great hitting coach. She is even good with calling the right defenses. Her weakness has always been pitching. If she could get a nice pitching coach as her assistant then I think this team would do damage. I have noticed it seems this year Strimple has stepped away from her involvement in pitching a little and we are seeing a positive result. She really is a good coach and recognizing where you come up short is a strength and not a weakness. Knowing when to step back is a strength and not a weakness. I am impressed with her decisions this year so far.
Agreed. And she has 2 starters who are capable of being dominant for 7 innings every time out. Against OSU I thought Moore just completely overmatched them and her only issue was the occasional walk. (Just like in baseball, don't walk the leadoff hitter)

Down 3 in the bottom of the third. We have too many LOBs 6 so far I think.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We lost 2
Down 3 in the bottom of the third. We have too many LOBs 6 so far I think.
We lost 2-3. We left too many on base. We had two outs caused by runners leaving early including the last out of the game. Runners at 1st and 2nd with Bearclaw at the plate and runner at 2nd left early.

We lost 2

We lost 2-3. We left too many on base. We had two outs caused by runners leaving early including the last out of the game. Runners at 1st and 2nd with Bearclaw at the plate and runner at 2nd left early.
Was it a replay challenge or something the umpire caught? I think I was watching an OSU/Texas game a couple weekends ago and TX lost what would have amounted to maybe 2-3 runs in the top of the 1st based on this. Runner from 1st left a split second to early. Stupid rule if the batter mashes the ball into the gap. The runner still would have scored easily. They need to introduce some sanity to that rule and interpretation. Sure, if she's trying to steal a base and leaves too early, yeah, you're out. I'd even give you she would be called out if she leaves too early on a ground ball in the infield and ends up safe on a close play at 2nd. But if she leaves too early on a taken pitch and then retreats back to the bag...why should that be a call?

The other rule that's dumb in softball is the runner having to immediately "declare" advancing to the next or retreating to the previous base once the ball is back in the pitcher's circle. Remember, OU's first WCWS title came on this call when a UCLA runner hesitated. UCLA runner at 3rd was the tying run and the home plate umpire called her out on this technicality. Leaves too many things to interpretation by the umpires and puts them in the center of a controversy. I know OU fans were pissed about some calls this weekend at Texas where their catcher got called for obstruction on a play at the plate and later in the series the Texas catcher did not for a similar play.

Arkansas is pretty good this year too. I could see us in any one of those 3 locations.

The 5-2 loss on Saturday was frustrating because we were the better team..We just could not hit when it counted. We constantly had chances to score, over and over..They made up for it on Sunday though. The HR in the 6th reminded me of the Jose Canseco HR off his head.

Reactions: HuffyCane
RPI now at #47. That’s in the danger zone for an at-large. Need to go on a win streak to avoid needing to win conference tourney.

Will probably finish 6-4 or 7-3, and end up 1 or 2 games behind FAU. Doubt this finish raises us much, if any, above #47. Only chance is to go 3-0 at FAU, which is not likely. Will probably have to win tourney.

Reactions: crow4435
Will probably finish 6-4 or 7-3, and end up 1 or 2 games behind FAU. Doubt this finish raises us much, if any, above #47. Only chance is to go 3-0 at FAU, which is not likely. Will probably have to win tourney.
its better to that and control your own destiny anyway

Who is the starting pitcher against OU? OU with 12 game win streak against Tulsa.

Lost 8-0 after 6 innings. OU scored 5 in the bottom of the 6th.

Score looks gross but it was a close game until it wasnt. I would have put Maura up and not sure why she wasn't. She is our ace. Maybe she was wanting a harder thrower with Kylee. Maura isn't what I would call a fast pitcher but she is like a Greg Maddux. She can paint.

Our hitting without getting a single hit was not bad! They were aggressive. There is a reason OU is so dominant. They stole about 3 hits from us on spectacular plays.

Im not saying this was a good game. I was disappointed in some of our effort, however, it was not as bad as a game as it looked on paper.

Reactions: old.guy and TU1NNJ
Score looks gross but it was a close game until it wasnt. I would have put Maura up and not sure why she wasn't. She is our ace. Maybe she was wanting a harder thrower with Kylee. Maura isn't what I would call a fast pitcher but she is like a Greg Maddux. She can paint.

Our hitting without getting a single hit was not bad! They were aggressive. There is a reason OU is so dominant. They stole about 3 hits from us on spectacular plays.

Im not saying this was a good game. I was disappointed in some of our effort, however, it was not as bad as a game as it looked on paper.
It sounded like Strimple took the same approach as OSU and OU when they play us midweek, throw the #2 pitcher and save the ace for the weekend conference series. I'm OK with that.

Last edited:
It sounded like Strimple took the same approach as OSU and OU when they play us midweek, through the #2 pitcher and save the ace for the weekend conference series. I'm OK with that.
Going 3-0 vs Charlotte is a lot more important than OU. Vs OU doesn't gain gravitas unless we get put in their regional. We have earn being put in any regional first.

TU's bats seem to have deserted them in the past couple of weeks. Got swept by Charlotte over the weekend and only managed to score three runs.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Played good today run ruled UTSA in 5 innings. Abby Jones drove in 6 with 2 home runs including a grand slam We won 10 to 0
I should hope so. UTSA is a cellar dweller. We oughta win the rest of the games we get in with them. Tomorrow might get canceled.

They moved the time up to 11 am tomorrow. By the way they aren’t very good but they did take a game from North Texas which we lost all three by one run. Tough series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT