ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa softball

Positive start! Three more games to go through the weekend.

Starting strong. Strimple always has strong bats but out pitching has been suspect under her. Glad to see two games with strong pitching performances to start the season. Bats look great as usual.

Starting strong. Strimple always has strong bats but out pitching has been suspect under her. Glad to see two games with strong pitching performances to start the season. Bats look great as usual.
Let's wait on the pitching until after we've played a few games against teams that aren't tomato cans wearing visors. Neither of those teams are likely anywhere close to an NCAA team in their respective conferences. It always seems that our games vs Kansas are harbingers for how good or bad we'll be. (If we even play them this year but we always seem to play them in some invitational or a midweek game).

Let's wait on the pitching until after we've played a few games against teams that aren't tomato cans wearing visors. Neither of those teams are likely anywhere close to an NCAA team in their respective conferences. It always seems that our games vs Kansas are harbingers for how good or bad we'll be. (If we even play them this year but we always seem to play them in some invitational or a midweek game).
Texas A&M and Texas Tech should give us a good indication of where we are as a team in 2024. Both are projected as middle of the pack in their conferences.

Reactions: TU_BLA and rusty-c
Lost 2 to TA&M 8-6 and we were shut out in the second game.

TU closes UNLV tournament with a 4-2 win over UNLV. Finish 4-1 in the event.
I think pitching is going to be a problem for this team against better teams. I think they can hit the ball but they lack some quality pitching depth. Just my opinion.

I think pitching is going to be a problem for this team against better teams. I think they can hit the ball but they lack some quality pitching depth. Just my opinion.
That has always been the issue with Strimple. Great hitting teams but her pitching is way below par. We will not get back to the TU we know and love with her heading up pitchers. She needs an assistant that really knows the pitching game.

Reactions: TU_BLA
That has always been the issue with Strimple. Great hitting teams but her pitching is way below par. We will not get back to the TU we know and love with her heading up pitchers. She needs an assistant that really knows the pitching game.
She needs to figure out a way to get Lacey Middlebrooks at TU as an assistant coach. She's coaching HS right now but she was easily one of the best pitchers/players TU has ever had. Or even Aimee Creger...she was a bulldog in the circle.

Morgan is off to a slow start but i'm glad they switched her to the two whole since Densen is producing. Cole has had as many strikeouts as I can count on 2 hands, what happened to Vickrey? Moore and Nash look like they need to sharpen up before conference play. Think I am confused. Densen has batted .500 this weekend and last and the weekly award goes to Edwards who batted .500 this weekend. How does that make any sense? Hopefully they can keep winning and have a winning season.

Will there be any opportunities to watch TU softball on TV this season?

Will there be any opportunities to watch TU softball on TV this season?
Last yeah almost every game was on ESPN+. I havent seen a single one yet and I have been looking. I loved watching the games.

Beat Seattle 12-3 in first game today. Take on Drake tonight.

Last edited:
TU takes down Iowa St 5-1. Moore throws a 3 hitter.
We know we have 1 quality pitcher...do we have any depth in the circle because at the end of the day, teams who have 2 quality starters plus a good quality reliever are the teams that can do well come May. it always seemed like Bargfeldt could run 2 good starters out there and had the one reliever who could give you a stout inning or two if needed. And I realize Strimple has this team hitting really well right now. That will help but hopefully you can win some games 1-0, 2-1, just as much as you can win by run ruling a team.

Tulsa won 6 to 2 today over USF. Are 5 and 1 in conference. Bearpaw hit a home run and Densen drove in 2. Densen’s father was a starting running back for OSU said he comes to every Tulsa game

Tulsa won 6 to 2 today over USF. Are 5 and 1 in conference. Bearpaw hit a home run and Densen drove in 2. Densen’s father was a starting running back for OSU said he comes to every Tulsa game
Sort of.

Rafael Denson was the Oklahoma Player of the Year in the early 90’s. Either Enid or Ardmore. Can’t remember the exact year and he turned down split end/slot offers from a few elite schools including OU, Texas, and I think USC, amongst others. OSU was on probation (again) and they promised him a shot at being the feature back. Which, a few years removed from Sanders and Thomas, was a dream offer. Trouble is, nobody told a 5 foot nothing 100lbs high school kid that he simply wasn’t built like Thurman Thomas nor Sanders either for that matter. Damaris was bigger. He played a couple of seasons at TB before switching over to WR. I don’t think he ever started at TB. If he did, he’s leaving out of the story that OSU eventually played others ahead of him and he switched positions. He definitely was in the Top 5 in the conference in receiving his last two years though. He left with people saying he was better than Hart Lee Dykes. Great player. Might have been massive catching passes from Cale Gundy.

Denson could absolutely fly. I believe he ran the fastest 100 in the state his senior year in high school. P He was just too small to be an every down back. Never thought of him as a great receiver. His senior season was by far his best with 40 receptions, 756 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Really nice player. Would have thrived as an inside receiver in a 4 wide set. Needed to play in Houston’’s run and shoot or in todays game.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Sort of.

Rafael Denson was the Oklahoma Player of the Year in the early 90’s. Either Enid or Ardmore. Can’t remember the exact year and he turned down split end/slot offers from a few elite schools including OU, Texas, and I think USC, amongst others. OSU was on probation (again) and they promised him a shot at being the feature back. Which, a few years removed from Sanders and Thomas, was a dream offer. Trouble is, nobody told a 5 foot nothing 100lbs high school kid that he simply wasn’t built like Thurman Thomas nor Sanders either for that matter. Damaris was bigger. He played a couple of seasons at TB before switching over to WR. I don’t think he ever started at TB. If he did, he’s leaving out of the story that OSU eventually played others ahead of him and he switched positions. He definitely was in the Top 5 in the conference in receiving his last two years though. He left with people saying he was better than Hart Lee Dykes. Great player. Might have been massive catching passes from Cale Gundy.
You'd think he'd go with his accomplishments, rather than his failed dream. His accomplishments were much more impressive. Even if you only gave his offers for OU, Texas, and maybe USC, and left out the success as a receiver at OSU. I guess that dream was/is paramount in his head.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Denson could absolutely fly. I believe he ran the fastest 100 in the state his senior year in high school. P He was just too small to be an every down back. Never thought of him as a great receiver. His senior season was by far his best with 40 receptions, 756 receiving yards and 3 TDs. Really nice player. Would have thrived as an inside receiver in a 4 wide set. Needed to play in Houston’’s run and shoot or in todays game.
750 yards receiving in the early 90’s was elite though. If you can find it, look up the Big 8 leaders in like 93 or 94. Unless I’m going fuzzy, he had to be in the Top 5.

Reactions: lawpoke87
You'd think he'd go with his accomplishments, rather than his failed dream. His accomplishments were much more impressive. Even if you only gave his offers for OU, Texas, and maybe USC. And left out the success as a receiver at OSU. I guess that dream was/is paramount in his head.
He was a huge recruit. He would have been ranked in the Top 5 in Texas that year, no question. If I had to guess, he probably had 40 offers. TU offered at WR iirc.

750 yards receiving in the early 90’s was elite though. If you can find it, look up the Big 8 leaders in like 93 or 94. Unless I’m going fuzzy, he had to be in the Top 5.
Took me a bit, but I found it. He led the Big 8 his senior year in total receiving yards with 713. He was in the top 10 as a junior. He was the leading rusher as a true freshman and sophomore, 1991 and 1992, in a three man rotation, which I’m guessing means he was the starter, at least some of the time. I guess I forgot that. I’m sorry. But they recruited Andre Richardson and David Thompson in 1992 and they took over Denson’s role in the backfield.

Denson was an exceptional athlete. But saying you played tailback at OSU doesn’t necessarily compare yourself to Gerald Hudson or Vernand Morency, especially on a team that didn’t win a game. I guess we are all different people, but as G says, I think if I led the Big 8 in receiving, I’d tell people that if they asked about my career, before I told them I followed Thomas, Sanders and Hudson and leaving out that they recruited over me and moved me to the Z.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT