ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

Is anyone over at the complex right now? I thought it started at 7, but ESPN+ says it starts at 7:30.

Only good news watching UCF vs Memphis....Memphis is just not good. UCF passing was not on point all night but they just had better players that could overcome bad passing. It seemed like their passes were a step or two behind all night causing the recipient to have to slow down. No hitting players in stride. They could do this against a Memphis but if they play like that against us, our defense will slaughter them in turnovers.

Reactions: loca2874
Only good news watching UCF vs Memphis....Memphis is just not good. UCF passing was not on point all night but they just had better players that could overcome bad passing. It seemed like their passes were a step or two behind all night causing the recipient to have to slow down. No hitting players in stride. They could do this against a Memphis but if they play like that against us, our defense will slaughter them in turnovers.
UCF has some talented players, but they're all MFs. They're defense is sort of a wreck, especially in the middle and I haven't been impressed with their GK in situations where he is forced to play with his feet. Their outside MFs are pretty dynamic players with some good speed. Bromstedt holds his own out there but I am concerned on the right side with Mitchell Cashion or Rooks Hunter. Speedy wings with good control always put pressure on the outside backs and if they get beat it pulls a CB out of the middle....TU has exploited this extremely well all season and it creates chaos in the middle of the area for teams. It's why you'll see Meinhard or Henry-Scott come outside to get the over the top ball and you'll quickly see Protzek, Barkley, Jeffus, et. al. quickly fill the middle at the top of the area.

Reactions: TUcandoit
Memphis had exactly 1 player that impressed me and it was the left back. That guy could get up and down the field and generate some space for others. He was good technically as well.

Memphis had exactly 1 player that impressed me and it was the left back. That guy could get up and down the field and generate some space for others. He was good technically as well.
What happens to the Tulsa seed in the ncaa tourney if Tulsa loses to Smu or ucf if they make it to the finals which is highly probable.

Nice game. What’s the story on Meinhard and Malik Henry Scott?

I will be there Sunday. It’s on ESPNnews. Hey, we made expended cable!

Yeah, I think that’s part of the reason our ranking is so high. We have depth. Other guys stepped up. I wasn’t sure that was possible earlier in year. But it would be nice to have them back. There isn’t anything written about our squad outside of this board and Twitter.

What happens to the Tulsa seed in the ncaa tourney if Tulsa loses to Smu or ucf if they make it to the finals which is highly probable.
Tu had to win last night to keep top 8 seed hopes alive. They did. In the championship match I believe they can still lose and keep the top 8 seeding. However, I wouldnt risk it. It would put them right at 7-8-9.

Hopefully they will be playing on Sunday. UCF is a good squad. It will be hard to beat UCF without them
We beat UCF a week ago without either of them. While they are both game changers, TU has some really quality depth in the MF and forward positions.

Meinhard went down with a foot injury in the SMU game in Dallas. Didn't play the last 25 minutes of the game. Not sure what MHS' injury is but he did play in that SMU game before not playing in the final two vs Temple and UCF. I'm hoping Tom is saving them for the NCAA tournament. If TU wins Sunday, my guess is a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. If they lose, maybe fall to a top 8. Oregon State (#1) and Washington (#3) tied each other the yesterday.

I haven't figured out the tournament yet....looks like a 48 team bracket with top 16 seeds getting byes to the 2nd round. I would guess that TU and UCF have bids locked up but who knows. The polls love the ACC and Pac-12 and there are enough good non-power conference teams to throw things into chaos. I would think TU has a top 16 seed locked in as well (#8 in RPI).

We beat UCF a week ago without either of them. While they are both game changers, TU has some really quality depth in the MF and forward positions.

Meinhard went down with a foot injury in the SMU game in Dallas. Didn't play the last 25 minutes of the game. Not sure what MHS' injury is but he did play in that SMU game before not playing in the final two vs Temple and UCF. I'm hoping Tom is saving them for the NCAA tournament. If TU wins Sunday, my guess is a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. If they lose, maybe fall to a top 8. Oregon State (#1) and Washington (#3) tied each other the yesterday.

I haven't figured out the tournament yet....looks like a 48 team bracket with top 16 seeds getting byes to the 2nd round. I would guess that TU and UCF have bids locked up but who knows. The polls love the ACC and Pac-12 and there are enough good non-power conference teams to throw things into chaos. I would think TU has a top 16 seed locked in as well (#8 in RPI).

Announcers were saying during the Memphis/UCF game that TU is the only lock. The rest most likely have to win the tournament to make it to postseason play. I have to disagree with them and I agree with you. I am pretty sure UCF is a lock as well. Their record isnt great..in fact one game over .500. However, I think they played good enough against better competition to get a bid. SMU actually ranks higher in the RPI but their death spiral has knocked them out imho.

I believe as long as TU plays well in the championship game (keeps it within a goal) we should lock up a top 8 seeding. I wouldn't want to test that theory though lol.

Reactions: loca2874
Announcers were saying during the Memphis/UCF game that TU is the only lock. The rest most likely have to win the tournament to make it to postseason play. I have to disagree with them and I agree with you. I am pretty sure UCF is a lock as well. Their record isnt great..in fact one game over .500. However, I think they played good enough against better competition to get a bid. SMU actually ranks higher in the RPI but their death spiral has knocked them out imho.

I believe as long as TU plays well in the championship game (keeps it within a goal) we should lock up a top 8 seeding. I wouldn't want to test that theory though lol.
Nope...want a 3-0 win against UCF. Leave no doubt and shoot for the #1 overall seed. It's possible. There will be some PAC 12 bias built in as well as ACC but TU passes the eye test as one of the best 4 teams in the country. In watching the game last night did SMU have an actual shot on frame in the 2nd half? I know Ndomua had the dangerous chance on the over the top ball from Costa but he hit that shot so far wide it wasn't really close at all. SMU was much more dangerous in the 1st half. I think TUs depth and Tom's willingness to use it late in games when other teams are trying to nurse their starters through to the end is a HUGE advantage. Hell, of the non-starters the most dangerous person on the field for TU in the 2nd half was Marcos Moreno. Some of the passes he was picking out were just ridiculous and resulted in 4-5 solid chances and required the SMU GK and D to come up with some huge plays. The quality of TU's attack late was so good, SMU is lucky they didn't concede 5 goals.

UCF is a different beast though. The quality of their buildup play is excellent. What I've noticed the last 2 years though is things tend to break down for them in and around the penalty area....the finishing quality looks like my son's U16 team at times. TU usually just hounds teams with ball control and build up. They got a little out of sorts in the 1st half against SMU last night and showed some impatience (Tom even mentioned it in his halftime interview). If TU comes out and plays their game, possesses the ball and is patient until UCF cracks, they'll be fine. Defending is hard against a team that is patient and it really takes away the legs late in games.

Reactions: TU 1978
I'm actually more scared of SMU than UCF overall. That doesn't mean we can get complacent. I think SMU is coached better and might have slightly better athletes. They have just imploded and lost all confidence. UCF on the other hand is riding high on confidence and that will play huge on Sunday. They are going to put it all on the pitch for this game. I think their GK is more suceptible though and we might be able to squeeze through a couple goals. I think our biggest issue will be their counter game. UCF when their passes are on target...they are dangerous and move that ball fast. They have to pass better than they did against Memphis.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I'm actually more scared of SMU than UCF overall. That doesn't mean we can get complacent. I think SMU is coached better and might have slightly better athletes. They have just imploded and lost all confidence. UCF on the other hand is riding high on confidence and that will play huge on Sunday. They are going to put it all on the pitch for this game. I think their GK is more suceptible though and we might be able to squeeze through a couple goals. I think our biggest issue will be their counter game. UCF when their passes are on target...they are dangerous and move that ball fast. They have to pass better than they did against Memphis.
SMU always comes hard at TU. It's a true rivalry in men's soccer. SMU simply didn't have the depth this year. They've got some really good players. Costa is phenomenal for being 5-foot nothing. Ndoye is a beast and the scariest player on the team, IMO. If they get the ball to Costa near MF, you better get 10 behind the ball and quickly. The rest of the team is undisciplined. They mistake it for aggressiveness and it leads to players getting quick yellow cards and having to play a little more tentative the rest of the game.

You're exactly right on the UCF GK. He makes messes out of simple plays. I don't recall their defenders playing back through him to relieve pressure too much this year, and certainly not the way TU plays through Lopez. It's fortunate for us that Lopez isn't 6'2 or 6'3 because if he was he'd be playing professionally somewhere already. His feet are as good or better as many pro-level keepers....you just don't see many 5'10 pro GKs.

Reactions: TUcandoit
This isn’t basketball. Seeding is tricked based on a lot of factors including willingness to pay to host games. They will get a bye. Don’t be surprised if it is 6,7, or 8.

Fun game. Great weather. Should have been a red on the UCF guy. That would result in criminal al charges in other contexts.
Yeah, that was rather blatant, wasn’t it?

I was at the game but my eyes were on the original scuffle. What happened with #6 of UCF that almost caused a brawl? Sad thing is it happened right in front of me but I was busy yelling at the ref for the original push.

Meinhard had a flag and was running around team at end. He didn’t look to be on pain. I’d love to know the story.

When will we know the NCAA seeding and matchup
I’m a huge soccer fan but never seen TU play.
I watch the USA games on tv.

Every big TU game seems to conflict with football or basketball, office issues or the Dallas Cowboys.

Noon tomorrow. There’s a show you can watch streaming online. Games are a lot of fun to go to. Very chill, great atmosphere, no one being bad, no annoying AF piped in music or dumb promotions. Just a good team and fun games.

Reactions: 4tu2 and JesseTU
Noon tomorrow. There’s a show you can watch streaming online. Games are a lot of fun to go to. Very chill, great atmosphere, no one being bad, no annoying AF piped in music or dumb promotions. Just a good team and fun games.
I heard drums yesterday on the broadcast, but apparently the blue smoke was banned for the playoffs.

They haven’t had the blue smoke for awhile. The Feds read this board and Rippin went underground. And by underground, I mean back to his mom’s basement.

They haven’t had the blue smoke for awhile. The Feds read this board and Rippin went underground. And by underground, I mean back to his mom’s basement.
The Feds would be reading the free board rather than paying for the Alley.

They did have drums and even though I find drums extemely annoying (don't know why but it peaks my anxiety, I feel it all throughout my chest) it really doesn't bother me during the game. They are not over the top. They don't play the same song over and over. They are not constantly just beating the drum. Makes the experience more than tolerable, but fun. Just be prepared at half, everyone will try to switch from south stands to north stands. I suggest not leaving your seat unless you have someone to watch it for you.

When will we know the NCAA seeding and matchup
I’m a huge soccer fan but never seen TU play.
I watch the USA games on tv.

Every big TU game seems to conflict with football or basketball, office issues or the Dallas Cowboys.
TU men's soccer is closer to winning a national championship than any of those other things...they are must watch this year.

I heard drums yesterday on the broadcast, but apparently the blue smoke was banned for the playoffs.
The blue smoke was not allowed per the AAC. My guess is it won't be allowed for the NCAA's either. Funny thing about the blue smoke bombs...they were provided by the athletic dept. And it looked like the drummers from the actual marching band yesterday, sort of a pep band thing.

The atmosphere at the TU games has been phenomenal. I'm hoping we get to go to a game this weekend if the timing works out. My son is playing in a soccer tournament this weekend (in Tulsa) so it depends on the schedule. TU should offer slightly discounted tickets to the match for that group. Place could be PACKED!

Reactions: 4tu2 and TU 1978
The Feds would be reading the free board rather than paying for the Alley.

Man, they even know about the secret board where Ashvid and Barrister still post. It also includes contributions from the Illuminati, Ermal Kuqo, and Andrew Cuomo. It’s called the Wuhan Covid 19 lab forum for Tulsa sports.

That should keep Rippin busy for weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT