ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
TU returns basically everyone from a team that was the best in the AAC last year until key injuries slowed them down. The only key loss is Lucas Cline. I talked with Tom in mid-July about how things looked going into the season and he was really really excited and his outlook brightened when Chase Bromstedt decided to return for the free year of eligibility. So a team that was extremely young last season will only be more experienced. There will be a competition for GK but Tom thought, at the time that Brady Moody would be the starter as of then but he had a GK from Spain coming in that he was really excited about. He said the kid had dynamic feet. He's really excited about his backline and said it's probably the best it's been since Bradley Bourgeouis was in royal blue and old gold.

The team reported for preseason yesterday. Barring injuries I fully expect a return to the NCAA tournament this season as well as being in the mix for the AAC championship

TU men beat Creighton in Omaha tonight 3-1. Meinhard had 2 including 1 with 1 second left in the game. After a scoreless 1st half, TU scored 2, Fazio w/ the first off a corner and then Meinhard a little later where he jumped a pass and walked in. Creighton's line goal came off a PK with about a minute left before Meinhard finished off the scoring.

Winning at Creighton is always a good solid win.

I'm kind of surprised the BlueJays weren't ranked. Those suckers usually are. A great win on the road.

So I think they took the final goal off the board as every score I see says 2-1 TU, including the TU athletics page. Bummer. Still a great win.

Men move to 2-0 with a 1-0 win at Omaha tonight. TU scored pretty early (Alex Meinhard, #2 on the year). For most of the 1st half TU controlled the play and really had a number of good solid chances to score another. 2nd half was hold on mode. Omaha came out and was really aggressive and TU just couldn't string enough passes together to put together a scoring threat. There were moments where TU did a really good job of holding onto the ball. Late in the 2nd half when it mattered TU was able to hold possession for long stretches and turn that into control in the attacking 1/3. TU looked really dangerous with Meinhard, Malik Henry-Scott, Ben Barkley, and Will Edwards out there together. There was some really good creativity and movement with that group. D was really solid...no real WTH moments from them.

The GK was a newbie...Cosgrove(sp?). He was solid...really good hands. Made some nice athletic saves on Omaha's only real threatening chances.

I watched most of the game last night but I did miss maybe the first 20 minutes (and TUs goal of course). Just now saw the video...holy crap what a finish from Meinhard. One time, left-footed, off a pass from Bromstedt at the top of the 18, upper 90 GK never had a chance.

TU hosts 2 top 10 teams this weekend:

vs #8 Missouri State 7:00pm tonight
vs #10 Marquette 7:00pm Monday

A couple of wins here will have TU ranked in the top 15 IMO. A couple of goals will have Meinhard being talked about as a Hermann Trophy candidate.

So far MoSt has beaten up on a couple of tomato soup cans but they've scored a bunch of goals in doing so. Same with Marquette

I saw the goal on the TU highlights. Looked good and the shoeshine celebration was funny. Is there a better angle out there somewhere? The field level view didn’t do it justice.

I saw the goal on the TU highlights. Looked good and the shoeshine celebration was funny. Is there a better angle out there somewhere? The field level view didn’t do it justice.
The original ESPN+ feed was good albeit a little far away to see the intricacy of the footwork he used to break down 5 defenders.

TU beats #13 Marquette 1-0. TU really controlled this game from start to finish. Marquette GK played outstanding otherwise this is a 4 or 5 to nil game. Marquette had maybe 2 good chances on goal. TUs ball possession really forces teams to chase the game. Maliki Henry-Scott scored the goal off of a great cross from Rooks Hunter.

Next game is next Saturday vs Michigan State at TU. I have no doubt TU is a top 10 team. They can create lots of chances, they have a lot of players who can score, they've got an excellent crew of defenders and their goalkeeping has been stellar so far. And they're deep.

Went to the game tonight and I agree…if Marquette is a top-15 (or even top-25) caliber team, then we are for sure top-10. We looked really good. Anyone know when the rankings are updated each week?

Went to the game tonight and I agree…if Marquette is a top-15 (or even top-25) caliber team, then we are for sure top-10. We looked really good. Anyone know when the rankings are updated each week?
Top drawer is updated. We aren't in the top 25 which is insane. Who votes in the Top Drawer soccer poll?

NCAA rankings haven't been updated since August 29th. I can only assume we will be in the top 25 since we were just outside the top 25 in the last poll.

As for the UCA game, it was an exhibition game. I'm sure Tom did some weird things with his rotations and subs trying to see what kids could do in a game situation. Watching the last 3 games he seems to have his rotation pretty settled. There are some really talented kids not getting a ton of minutes but the team is really deep. Chase Bromstedt could be both POY and DPOY. He does so many good things for this team getting them into the attack but also slowing down the other team. Fazio is a candidate for DPOY as well (and that's leaving off Zinnhard who has been stellar so far as well). And then you have Meinhard who hasn't scored the last two games but has opened up space for his teammates like MHS and Jeffus and Barkley.

We came in at #24. Missouri State goes from top 10 to unranked.

If we don't screw up w/ Michigan St, we should go up quite a bit next week, w/ the Marquette win.

This team may rival the 2004 team in terms of how good they are and how deep a run they can make. Watch the games over if you can...there are no real cracks. Meinhard is a gifted scorer but he has a lot of help and doesn't need to shoulder all the load. The backline has been rock solid and TU has played at least 2 teams who are used to putting teams on their heels. And you can see the confidence growing each game...they know they're good but they also know it takes work to maintain that.

TU hammers Michigan St 5-1. Meinhard with 2 goals. MHS with a goal, Marcos Moreno with a goal and Taka Wyatt with a goal. TU led 4-1 at half and basically played keep away for a good portion of the 2nd half.
TU ends non conference play scoring 10 goals and only conceding 2.

Also found out that Creighton, who TU beat 2-1, went on to beat #1 Indiana in Bloomington recently.

Ive said it a number of times...this TU team is legit top 10.

TU hammers Michigan St 5-1. Meinhard with 2 goals. MHS with a goal, Marcos Moreno with a goal and Taka Wyatt with a goal. TU led 4-1 at half and basically played keep away for a good portion of the 2nd half.
TU ends non conference play scoring 10 goals and only conceding 2.

Also found out that Creighton, who TU beat 2-1, went on to beat #1 Indiana in Bloomington recently.

Ive said it a number of times...this TU team is legit top 10.
We should skyrocket in this weeks poll.

Reactions: drboobay
I read Sunday's paper. I read today's paper. No mention of the TU men's soccer team unless I'm seriously going blind. There might've been a score in the agate, but then I'd have to grab my readers. And my wife didn't get me the Al Davis glasses chain I wanted for my birthday.

So with UCF leaving, the AAC will have to add some men's soccer programs just for soccer or TU will need to find a new conference for soccer. I wouldn't be opposed if the remaining 5 AAC teams joined up with C-USA in men's soccer OR there might be possibilities to join the A10 (some really good programs in that conference).

Reactions: TulsaRulzOSUdrools
TU Men are #8 in the coaches poll and #8 in the College Soccer News poll, to go with the #5 Top Drawer Soccer ranking. Let's hope they are hungry to be higher. Next up is Memphis in Memphis. The Tigers are 1-5-1 (0-1) . They've scored 10 goals, and given up 17 (-7 GD). This is probably a bad matchup for Memphis as TU is one of the leading teams in the nation in terms of goals scored and GD. TU ranks in the top 25 of pretty much every major statistical category.

Expect Memphis to keep 9 behind the ball and look to play over the top on counters (this game will look like a lot of Liverpool's games if you follow EPL).

Reactions: TulsaRulzOSUdrools
So with UCF leaving, the AAC will have to add some men's soccer programs just for soccer or TU will need to find a new conference for soccer. I wouldn't be opposed if the remaining 5 AAC teams joined up with C-USA in men's soccer OR there might be possibilities to join the A10 (some really good programs in that conference).
It would be the only Men's soccer program in the Big 12. My guess is it stays.

Expect Memphis to keep 9 behind the ball and look to play over the top on counters (this game will look like a lot of Liverpool's games if you follow EPL).
this is way too much strategery for a crappy program. Those kids at Memphis don’t even know what a counter is.

The Coach Beard episode is the best hour of television I’ve enjoyed in years.

Reactions: TU_BLA
What’s interesting about him is that he actually knows soccer and participated in a lot of the development of the show. The rest of the actors are pretty much clueless, especially Nick Mohammed. Hunt is a good interview with the right soccer reporter.

Reactions: Gold*
I've yet to find an episode that I've even felt "meh" about. After the last episode and all the crap with Jamie Tartt's father, my son and I had a moment.

I also saw a clip of Bret Goldstein doing a 6 minute synopsis of A Muppet Christmas Carol yesterday where he sings the songs in muppet voices. It was flipping hysterical. The story of how he got his role was pretty funny since he was initially hired only to be a writer on the show and he sent Hunt, Sudeikis, and one of the other show creators an email that said "I think I am Roy Kent". And his scenes with his niece are gold mostly because he's learning life lessons from an 8 year old.

Reactions: Gold*
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT