ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

I just hope there is no paperwork mistake like there was a few years ago..

Reactions: 4tu2
TU moved up to #5 in Top Drawer rankings. SLU is at #2. They won the A10 title in a PK shootout which officially goes down as a tie in the record books. Missouri State is at #6. A big result from a couple weeks ago was Marquette topping then #1 Georgetown.

Noon today and we should hear when the first game will be and who TU will play. We'll have to wait for results from Wed/Thursday to see who they will play.

I was curious about that myself so I looked it up in the media guide. It was either '14 or '16 b/c we went on the road both times. In '15 we hosted FIU, won, then went on the road to Notre Dame and lost. Not sure if the link below will work or not.

It opened fine for me...I don't remember the exact situation but I do remember it being wonky...and most assuredly on Gragg's watch. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom completed the paperwork to host at 2:30pm yesterday

We have a competent AD now and there is no way in hell Tom will allow them to drop the ball on hosting as many games as possible.
Based on the rankings, we could host a quarterfinal now. I attended one in 2016 where Denver University (they play in the Summit League with ORU) hosted The University of Washington. DU had this Brazilian Andre Shanyashiki that led them that to the NCAA semis. He plays for the Colorado Rapids now and starts about half their games. If we get that far, we should raise holy hell if we don't host one.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I like the blue and yellow smoke. It is fun. Why do we like to kill fun? If it is" banned", some dastardly rascals should set it off from the intramural fields.
Or from what we would call the “U” area separating John Mabee and Lottie Jane Mabee dorms.

Based on the rankings, we could host a quarterfinal now. I attended one in 2016 where Denver University (they play in the Summit League with ORU) hosted The University of Washington. DU had this Brazilian Andre Shanyashiki that led them that to the NCAA semis. He plays for the Colorado Rapids now and starts about half their games. If we get that far, we should raise holy hell if we don't host one.
I think TU should be a top 4 seed in the tournament. They've been the most consistent team along with SLU. Anyone who has watched TU play knows they control the game from start to finish. UCF is the only team that consistently threatened that and countered that all season and it has to do with the style they play and the quality of players they have. SMU did that in the 1st game and TU broke them with that last second OT goal. SMU never recovered fully from that moment. TU dominated games 2 and 3 vs SMU. TU also has some amazing quality depth. Malik Henry-Scott only played parts of a game or two that last 5-6 games of the year. Meinhard has also been saddled with a nagging foot injury and missed most of 3-4 games down the stretch....and TU still won all of them except the SMU game which was a 0-0 draw (SMU really sat back most of the night and the SMU GK made some phenomenal saves to keep that a draw).

I like the blue and yellow smoke. It is fun. Why do we like to kill fun? If it is" banned", some dastardly rascals should set it off from the intramural fields.
I honestly think it was more of a media push. I know when they set them off I was watching on TV. For about half of a half we could not see the top portion of the field at all. The smoke just set there and from a TV perspective it was really bad.

I’ve a question as I have not attended any of the TU soccer games in person. How much are tickets to the games? Is everything general admission? There is nothing on TU’s web site so maybe they don’t even sell tickets?

I honestly think it was more of a media push. I know when they set them off I was watching on TV. For about half of a half we could not see the top portion of the field at all. The smoke just set there and from a TV perspective it was really bad.
Those were fluky Oklahoma days....there was literally no wind at all when that happened...and how often can anyone who has lived in OK for any length of time say there was actually a truly windless day in OK? I was there. That blue haze set itself up right over the Memphis GK and seemed to linger for 10-15 minutes. They would not have had a problem with that yesterday.

$5. Don’t know about NCAA tournament or if it makes a difference. I recall it being more expensive last time. You normally buy through ticketing web site or at entrance. GHC pass may get you in. They have a beer cart and regular concessions.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
I’ve a question as I have not attended any of the TU soccer games in person. How much are tickets to the games? Is everything general admission? There is nothing on TU’s web site so maybe they don’t even sell tickets?
They're usually $5 a ticket. NCAA games may cost more but probably no more than $7. GA sit anywhere you'd like. Some people even brink lawn chairs and sit on one end by the track. The seat back chairs on the east side are actually pretty comfortable.

Reactions: TU 1978
Thanks. I’m enjoying watching the games this year on ESPN+, but would like to make the 8 hour trip next year if I can for some games.

TU should have an easier time getting a top 4 seed. Both Washington and Oregon State tied this week (each other) and Oregon St. lost last Sunday to UCLA. New Hampshire lost in their conference tournament, as did Marshall, as did Pitt. Everyone around us lost or dropped points.

Thanks. I’m enjoying watching the games this year on ESPN+, but would like to make the 8 hour trip next year if I can for some games.
The tough thing with soccer is you can't really have Thursday/Saturday games because of the physical toll and exertion 90 minutes of running puts on you. Coaching education courses offer that there should be a minimum o f72 hours between games and any meaningful exertion. Most teams can't afford that amount of time so they'll play and then have light practices/conditioning the following days and then play that game. HS and club tournaments are insane in that they ask players to put out full effort for 3 games in a 24 hour span. In Oklahoma, HS games are usually Monday/Thursday or Tuesdays and Fridays (very few weekend games unless it's part of a festival or tournament). I think most of the NCAA tournament games are played on a Wednesday/Saturday or Thursday/Sunday interval. Point is, it would be nice to make a trip of that length if you could catch 2 games (TU did play a number of Thursday/Sunday slots this season).

Here's the link for the selection show beginning at 12:00pm CST (1 EST, 11 MST, 10 PST):

Reactions: TUcandoit
Those were fluky Oklahoma days....there was literally no wind at all when that happened...and how often can anyone who has lived in OK for any length of time say there was actually a truly windless day in OK? I was there. That blue haze set itself up right over the Memphis GK and seemed to linger for 10-15 minutes. They would not have had a problem with that yesterday.
I 100% agree with you but I have a feeling the AAC didn't want to take a chance with it being on National TV. I am pretty sure they were behind the decision, not necessarily TU themselves.

Former TU GK Terry Boss' Oregon State team is the #1 overall seed despite a relatively poor showing this past week with a loss and draw.

#1 Oregon State
#2 Washington
#3 Georgetown
#4 Notre Dame
#5 Pittsburgh
#6 Tulsa
#7 Duke
#8 Clemson
#9 Kentucky
#10 St. Louis
#11 West Virginia
#12 Penn State
#13 FIU
#14 Marshall
#15 Indiana
#16 New Hampshire

Missouri St is not a national seed. We're going to get screwed

ADD: We did get screwed. We get to host Mo State in the 2nd round

SLU gets a #10 seed and is the only unbeaten team in the nation. The pre reveal comments from the selection chair was all anyone needed to hear that this was going to be rigged for the power conferences ("we paid heavy attention to the RPI")

There is a heavy ACC bias. It's sort of like the bias towards the SEC in football. And the committee chair is an athletic admin at Oregon State?!?!?! How the hell does he get away with even being in the room.

Time to bust out the Tulsa vs Errybody shirts

Last edited:
Listening to the show, I think they really weighed conference strength. That’s kind of dumb since there aren’t many non conference games and since we beat the team that beat Georgetown. I am not impressed. All I can figure is they thought it was an easy trip for Creighton and Mo State to get here.

Reactions: TU 1978
Listening to the show, I think they really weighed conference strength. That’s kind of dumb since there aren’t many non conference games and since we beat the team that beat Georgetown. I am not impressed. All I can figure is they thought it was an easy trip for Creighton and Mo State to get here.
It isn't the worst. That said we did beat Mo State 3-0 earlier this year.

They created a narrative that works for the Pac 12 and ACC.

Notre Dame was ranked 5 in Rpi. Also had five times as many losses as TU. RPI seems like a weird metric here, especially to weigh it more heavily than other rankings. I hope these higher teams make the committee look bad.

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
No big issues with the #6 seed…seems a little low, but whatever.

I DO have issues with playing Mo State (probably) in the second round. I’m assuming they do it like softball where they place unseeded teams geographically…

I have a few issues all the way around but no use in complaining..you have to win them all to be the best anyway. Let's prove it.

***Edit***
except the complaining I have already done, that is.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I know the final 3 games will be on ESPU but I can't find anything on the first few rounds. Any idea if they will be televised?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT