ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

Mitchell Cashion in my opinion was the MVP of Sunday's game. He does have this incredible vertical but his defense is pretty lock-down. However, it was his ability to constantly be open for the cross-ins in the corner on offense. He was the reason the 1st half was so dominant.
Our wing backs drive our attack. Both Cashion and Bromstedt are great at finding space outside and sending in difficult to defend crosses. Cashion is deceptively quick and athletic and his first step to his left on the cut in always leaves defenders behind and scrambling to recover. There aren't too many 5'5" wing backs out there but Cashion certainly changes peoples' minds.

Logos are permitted so long as they don’t obscure field markings and are not in the penalty area. TU had both its logo at the 50 and the soccer lines on Skelly for three decades.

My guess is it’s a coach’s preference.
I'm just saying what the FIFA laws state. And soccer should never be played on a football field OR a baseball field.

I finally got to see Meinhard live. Last couple games he was not playing due to injury and the times I did see him I was at home sitting in my chair watching on TV. This dude is incredible. When he had the ball, I could see why he is the 10th ranked player in the country. He is difficult to defend and he is sneaky with his passes.

Our wing backs drive our attack. Both Cashion and Bromstedt are great at finding space outside and sending in difficult to defend crosses. Cashion is deceptively quick and athletic and his first step to his left on the cut in always leaves defenders behind and scrambling to recover. There aren't too many 5'5" wing backs out there but Cashion certainly changes peoples' minds.
Speaking of Cashion, he was named to 2 national teams of the week for his performance on Saturday.

You might have to burn them in the park on the other side of the fence...although the TU guys didn't stop the smoke bombs last week.
The old school crackheads still kicking down the street will feel right at home.

Reactions: Gold*
No, that was an archetypal Nebraska sports fan. The Huskers have been exposed for years and that dude was just carrying on the tradition.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Brutal way to end the game/season…wasn’t even a good goal, just deflected off someone’s head, then hit a guy in the thigh and bounced in the goal.

Was really disappointed for the team. The kind of season they had, they deserved to win yesterday. They should have made it to the final 8.

Reactions: TU 1978
West Virginia led 1-0 through most of the game and was clearly the better team. Georgetown pressed late, drew a penalty and sent it to OT and eventually penalties. WVU could only net 1 penalty kick and Georgetown advances. Tulsa beats both of these teams 9 out of 10 games played. Georgetown is a 3 seed but clearly down this year. They dodged a bullet missing TU.

West Virginia led 1-0 through most of the game and was clearly the better team. Georgetown pressed late, drew a penalty and sent it to OT and eventually penalties. WVU could only net 1 penalty kick and Georgetown advances. Tulsa beats both of these teams 9 out of 10 games played. Georgetown is a 3 seed but clearly down this year. They dodged a bullet missing TU.
Man, that just sucks. I should be figuring out how to get to Cary NC right now. Of course, I’d probably have to take the most direct route. Tulsa to Seattle to Orlando. But by gawd I’d try!

Reactions: TU_BLA and PNTrough
Man, that just sucks. I should be figuring out how to get to Cary NC right now. Of course, I’d probably have to take the most direct route. Tulsa to Seattle to Orlando. But by gawd I’d try!
This year might have been our best chance ever and with one of our best teams ever.

If only they had converted on the early press. They chased the game after that.

Next year.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
This year might have been our best chance ever and with one of our best teams ever.

If only they had converted on the early press. They chased the game after that.

Next year.
There is only one player on the team that cannot return to play next year and that is Chase Bromstedt. IF Tom can convince guys like Fazio and Sach to return, they are the #1 team going into next season IMO.

Reactions: TU 1978
There is only one player on the team that cannot return to play next year and that is Chase Bromstedt. IF Tom can convince guys like Fazio and Sach to return, they are the #1 team going into next season IMO.
#1 in the league, or the nation? I wouldn't put them at #1 in the nation, but definitely top 5.

Last edited:
What is the rep of the recruits? Any of them a top recruit?

Last edited:
#1 in the league, or the nation? I wouldn't put them at #1 in the nation, but definitely top 5.
I could see them going #1 coming in. We were ranked #2 in the nation at the season end. With losing only one player and keeping our top player...I could see one more year of experience landing us a #1 ranking.

What is the rep of the recruits? Any of them a top recruit?
Good solid program kids. Outside of Malik Henry-Scott I'm not sure any of the kids Tom has brought in are in that elite level recruit category. But he brings in kids that fit the style he wants to play, are technically sound and smart. And he brings them along slowly which is why some kids leave...they want to play and start right away. But Tom wants them to be successful. Just look at the sustained success he's had in his time at TU. Always consistent, very few down years and every so often they find a magical combination of players that strike gold. And the thing with this year that made things different is the quality of depth TU had. Guys like Marcos Moreno, Will Edwards, Schweinert, Trace Ibrahim...it's ridiculous to think that those players could start at many D1 schools and be successful.

Good solid program kids. Outside of Malik Henry-Scott I'm not sure any of the kids Tom has brought in are in that elite level recruit category. But he brings in kids that fit the style he wants to play, are technically sound and smart. And he brings them along slowly which is why some kids leave...they want to play and start right away. But Tom wants them to be successful. Just look at the sustained success he's had in his time at TU. Always consistent, very few down years and every so often they find a magical combination of players that strike gold. And the thing with this year that made things different is the quality of depth TU had. Guys like Marcos Moreno, Will Edwards, Schweinert, Trace Ibrahim...it's ridiculous to think that those players could start at many D1 schools and be successful.
A few guys coming in next year without the typical TU pedigree, including a couple of walkons that could contribute immediately. The program is evolving.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Tulsa’s Mariano Fazio Named NCAA Division I Men’s All-American

Tulsa, Oklahoma – Tulsa men’s soccer player Mariano Fazio was named a 2021 NCAA Division I Men’s All-America Third Team honoree, as announced today by the United Soccer Coaches.

Fazio, a senior defender from Sevilla, Spain, tallied two goals on the season, while helping TU record nine shutouts.

Fazio picked up 2021 NCAA Division I Men's East Region First Team honors earlier this week, which made him eligible for the All-America accolades. He was also named as the American Athletic Conference's Defensive Player of the Year, and picked up all-conference first team and all-tournament team accolades.

Fazio is Tulsa’s seventh All-America honoree in program history, including Frank Velez (1991), Ryan Pore (2003, 2004), Kyle Brown (2005), Chris Clements (2007), Ashley McInnes (2009) and Austin Neil (2009).

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Tommorow is the MLS superdraft what is the status of all the TU players?
Only two players were designated by the league as eligible to be drafted. Ben and Til. In the new format, it’s unlikely either will get selected but they had an opportunity to show their stuff and both will likely have some kind of fa opportunity. The draft in general is irrelevant and this one in particular is a bit of a joke. Probably four or five first round picks are already over in England and Germany. They will get picked just in case something goes wrong with work permits or whatever. They had to scrap and entire day of the draft a few years ago because teams weren’t even using draft picks and many weren’t picking college kids. So that’s where this pool thing comes into play. It’s cool we got two in there and it will help recruiting and it would help more if they got selected, but they are both long shot picks.

Last edited:
Only two players were designated by the league as eligible to be drafted. Ben and Til. In the new format, it’s unlikely either will get selected but they had an opportunity to show their stuff and both will likely have some kind of fa opportunity. The draft in general is irrelevant and this one in particular is a bit of a joke. Probably four or five first round picks are already over in England and Germany. They will get picked just in case something goes wrong with work permits or whatever. They had to scrap and entire day of the draft a few years ago because teams weren’t even using draft picks and many weren’t picking college kids. So that’s where this pool thing comes into play. It’s cool we got two in there and it will help recruiting and it would help more if they got selected, but they are both long shot picks.
Chase Bromstedt was the only TU player I am aware of who has exhausted his eligibility...he was the only super senior on the squad. Everyone else, including Ben and Til could take advantage of that extra COVID year and come back. Meinhard was invited to some sort of MLS combine.

The draft
I did notice a number of teams passing on picks. That is really interesting... With so many teams signing players to homegrown contracts, it is a lot less meaningful now. I still think it is another opportunity for people that didn't get to play in a big market like Dallas or LA.

Saint Louis had like 4 guys taken in the top 16 who I think were all from Generation Adidas if that thing even matters anymore with the MLS Next stuff around.

Reactions: PNTrough
The draft

I did notice a number of teams passing on picks. That is really interesting... With so many teams signing players to homegrown contracts, it is a lot less meaningful now. I still think it is another opportunity for people that didn't get to play in a big market like Dallas or LA.

Saint Louis had like 4 guys taken in the top 16 who I think were all from Generation Adidas if that thing even matters anymore with the MLS Next stuff around.
And we lost 1-nil to those players two years ago. TU soccer is in a really good place.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT