ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

I know nothing of Creighton. A little of Missouri St. Who would we rather see in our opening round?

I know nothing of Creighton. A little of Missouri St. Who would we rather see in our opening round?
MSU from a smaller conference which they dominated. Creighton plays in the Big East. And has been one of the most consistent programs for the last 25 years. They’ve played several tourney teams tough, beating many. They put a lot of bigger fast guys in MLS, though few stick. They will be more physical than us and faster at some positions, though we are probably quicker where it counts. They will be a test at home. I’ll be very surprised if MSU gives them a game. Creighton has a big 9 that will be a load.

Deep into the second half with a 0-0 at this point, check it out on ESPN+ now.

Last edited:
Creighton is the opponent. They best Missouri State. The RPI likes them but we already beat them, too.

Watching the game last night. Creighton looked better the first part of the first half. Then I think Missouri St outplayed them the rest of the game. Creighton's best player made a season saving play in my opinion to win the game. I think Missouri St was the better of the two teams. Creighton is fast, lightning fast...but they are sloppy.

Reactions: rusty-c
Good news is we are fast, almost lightning fast....but we are not sloppy. This might play into our hands better than Missouri St would have.

Reactions: TU 1978
I’m planning to go tonight. Did I see earlier that I could bring a camp chair and set up somewhere?

Nice goal. I dont get that deep switch into the zone of their best defender. They did that like 3 times.

Creighton seems frustrated and disorganized.

West Virginia will be tough. They had some early wins against quality opponents and tied Marshall. But, they have been on a downward arc for a month or so.

Glad we get our best scorers back. Kickoff is 30 minutes before Bedlam? Neat.

I've always thought our stadium was kind of neat. Tucked back from the campus. Has a nice entrance. Then I start watching all these other matches, we are seriously behind on our stadium vs a lot of these schools. I know it's a dumb nitpick but everyone else has a logo on the field at least to promote the school while on TV. I do like that we still have a natural field though! Can't beat real grass.

I've always thought our stadium was kind of neat. Tucked back from the campus. Has a nice entrance. Then I start watching all these other matches, we are seriously behind on our stadium vs a lot of these schools. I know it's a dumb nitpick but everyone else has a logo on the field at least to promote the school while on TV. I do like that we still have a natural field though! Can't beat real grass.
I thought that as well. Nice stadium, but they could jazz it up some....I don't think I saw a TU logo anywhere that was clearly visible.

Reactions: TUcandoit
I thought the pace for the game was really good, especially for what I have seen in the ways of NCAA soccer. My wife is a premier league fanatic and a massive Arsenal fan. She was highly entertained and yelling at TU to stop making mistakes in the second half. We were tied up with some insane family stuff that kept us away.

Our passing was really questionable at times, which is why Creighton started controlling the second half. We were lucky to get out of that game 1-0. That said, Creighton was lucky to get out the first half 1-0. We had some great chances we just didn't put home. Their keeper made some phenomenal saves, but our shots could have been better too.

The lighting is just fine. It wasn't hard to watch. There was only one camera which makes it hard for great filming. Am I wrong in thinking there were cameras behind both goals for SMU? I wonder what was the case with there only being one for this game.

Next weekend will be huge. I could give a flying toss less about Bedlam. I know it is a big one but I would rather be watching this game. Bedlam will probably still be going after the TU game is over. You can watch Bedlam on your phone.

This is the biggest home soccer game in TU history.

They had more cameras for the AAC tournament including one right beneath the press box that was blocking the walkway.

Oh and bedlam can suck it.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Tu did make some uncharacterstic passing in this game but something I have noticed is we tend to go into soccers version of prevent defense when we get a lead. I hate this. I hate it in football and I hate it in futbol. Keep the same plan that got you the lead. The other team will be pressing more so it's ok to play slightly more stringent on defense but you don't turn into defense only. With that said TU does set it's offense up through the backfield and the goalie and it's hard to setup an offense that way when both teams are stuck on that side of the pitch. We have to learn with the lead we cannot play through the back field anymore, push it up, move the teams to midfield, then play it back.

It’s great to see that at least a portion of our fan base is consistent, whether it’s criticizing a perennial losing football team, or the #2 men’s soccer team in the nation. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I don't think anyone is critizing them but analyzing what they saw on the pitch. One was stating passing was not great in second half (which is wasn't) and I replied on why I think the passing struggled (prevent defense and playing through the backfield when they are pressing so hard). These are things that happen in the game and if we clean it up we will be very very hard to beat. Creighton is fast and very very short. So they can creep up on you. They like to press. Which can be dangerous in our style of play. We are fast as well and much better ball control, however, we play a style to wear out a team. Pass it through the backfield. Make them run back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...until one person gets a step behind then we hit them fast and we hit them hard. Then its back to a slow back and forth, back and forth..until the next opening happens and BAM. That is hard to do though when they are constantly in the backfield. So if we play another team like that we have to bring inital play up towards midfield to open up the back field.

TU came out and dictated the tempo and style. In the 2nd half Creighton took over the tempo and TU played a little hurried and forced some bad passes and made mistakes. Once Creighton realized #9 was going to be pointless in this game...he lacked the pace to make a difference and his size wasn't an issue for TUs center defenders, they went with pace. Props to Creighton...they've got a really good team and it's easy to see how they could give other teams fits. And if it weren't for there gargantuan GK, TU may have been up 2 or 3 by half.

TUs outside backs are what makes this team go. The quality of service and contribution to the attack that Bromstedt and Cashion have make TU and extremely dangerous team. Of course they can do this because Zinnhard, Fazio, and Sach dominate the middle of the field. And of course TU unleashes Trace Ibrahim last night after not being much of a factor all season and he's a difference maker. It's crazy to think of the depth TU has right now and it's possible we haven't seen all of it yet. MHS got a few "get loose" minutes and Meinhard comes off the bench and plays about 30 minutes. Meinhard simply is the best player on whichever field he's playing on. He turned Creighton's defenders inside out in the 2nd half and he's got an impeccable 1st touch.

I've not seen WVa play. I'm thinking TU can do what they've done most of the year and dictate the tempo of the game and find their spots to attack.
I thought that as well. Nice stadium, but they could jazz it up some....I don't think I saw a TU logo anywhere that was clearly visible.
Technically, you're not allowed to put logos or ads on the field for soccer. But then again, the NCAA doesn't use all of FIFA's laws to govern the game anyway so I suppose. If we're staying strictly within FIFA's laws, the field should be grass (or turf where allowed), and GREEN. Lines must be clearly marked, no wider than 4" and should be clearly distinguishable. Logos, emblems, ads are not permitted to be part of the playing surface including the areas just outside the touchlines and just beyond the goallines. (The ads you see on some pitches are CGI'd as part of a TV deal and can't actually be seen by players). Essentially, solid color green surface only broken up by field marking lines so as not to distract players or officials on the field.

TU does need to upgrade the lighting at both Skelly and the Hurricane Track and Soccer stadium. Take a look at what BA and Union have done with their upgraded lighting. (Union has the same LED lighting config that Alabama has where the lights can be programmed and choreographed to do some neat lighting tricks after scores, pregame, etc.). The LED lighting both schools have provide a brighter light and more coverage. We were at the game last night...the lighting on the field is fine for the players...but yeah, would agree that it comes across as a bit dark on TV. TU soccer is in a great place to go find some new donors to the program to help with some of those improvements...(and the track surface also needs to be redone....20 yrs and it's gotten hard and stiff...<insert adolescent boy joke here>. Hopefully TU can make it to the College Cup...people in Tulsa like to back a winner and the soccer team is going to be doing that for a few years to come.

Tu did make some uncharacterstic passing in this game but something I have noticed is we tend to go into soccers version of prevent defense when we get a lead. I hate this. I hate it in football and I hate it in futbol. Keep the same plan that got you the lead. The other team will be pressing more so it's ok to play slightly more stringent on defense but you don't turn into defense only. With that said TU does set it's offense up through the backfield and the goalie and it's hard to setup an offense that way when both teams are stuck on that side of the pitch. We have to learn with the lead we cannot play through the back field anymore, push it up, move the teams to midfield, then play it back.
I think TU was playing a little tight and Creighton was probably pressing more than they normally do in the 2nd half. When you have 45 minutes to find an equalizer against an incredibly stingy team, you play differently. Creighton pressured everything and everyone. There wasn't much space. The only thing that may have relieved that pressure was bringing Meinhard in earlier. There's no way Creighton would want to leave a defender 1 v 1 on him as that's a losing proposition.

TU did need to learn how to fight another day on defense in this one. Clear the ball, regroup and force Creighton to make bad passes...which happened repeatedly in the last 15 minutes. THe number of errant passes OB for TU throw ins was remarkable. This is the sign of a team pressing hard and trying to force things to happen...which is understandable given the do or die circumstances.

That is hard to do though when they are constantly in the backfield. So if we play another team like that we have to bring inital play up towards midfield to open up the back field.
All teams in a do or die game will play like this if they are down on the scoreboard and need to find an equalizer.

BTW, Penn State (#12 seed) lost to Hofstra last night 8-2. Losing 2-1, 1-0 or something like that to a non-seeded team happens. Losing to a non-seeded team as a seeded team by 6 goals is indicative that the committee got their profile of Penn State horribly wrong. Maybe Missouri State should have been that seed.

I'm sure we'll be ready to play WVa. I will also be pulling for Providence College against Georgetown...PC has beaten the Hoyas once this season and lost out on the 2 game aggregate in the Big East Championship. A PC win means TU hosting a quarterfinal game.

West Virginia will play a lot like UCF. They will have height on us. I believe they have 5-6 players at 6'2" or above. One close to 6'4"-6'5". I think this will be another team that plays to our strengths. They will be disruptive in passing lanes but we have players that can confuse defenders on the ball, we will have the first step. If we stay disciplined I think we win. I could see a 2-0, 3-1 score here.

West Virginia will play a lot like UCF. They will have height on us. I believe they have 5-6 players at 6'2" or above. One close to 6'4"-6'5". I think this will be another team that plays to our strengths. They will be disruptive in passing lanes but we have players that can confuse defenders on the ball, we will have the first step. If we stay disciplined I think we win. I could see a 2-0, 3-1 score here.
AS big as UCF thought they were, Zinnhard and Fazio win virtually every header...and Mitchell Cashion has like a 30" vertical leap (about half his height). TU's ability to win in the air is outstanding and something that has been sort of the anti-TU. Even the best TU teams of the 2000's struggled to defend set pieces and corners in the box and this TU team is one of the very best in the country at it.

AS big as UCF thought they were, Zinnhard and Fazio win virtually every header...and Mitchell Cashion has like a 30" vertical leap (about half his height). TU's ability to win in the air is outstanding and something that has been sort of the anti-TU. Even the best TU teams of the 2000's struggled to defend set pieces and corners in the box and this TU team is one of the very best in the country at it.
Mitchell Cashion in my opinion was the MVP of Sunday's game. He does have this incredible vertical but his defense is pretty lock-down. However, it was his ability to constantly be open for the cross-ins in the corner on offense. He was the reason the 1st half was so dominant.

Reactions: TU 1978
TU came out and dictated the tempo and style. In the 2nd half Creighton took over the tempo and TU played a little hurried and forced some bad passes and made mistakes. Once Creighton realized #9 was going to be pointless in this game...he lacked the pace to make a difference and his size wasn't an issue for TUs center defenders, they went with pace. Props to Creighton...they've got a really good team and it's easy to see how they could give other teams fits. And if it weren't for there gargantuan GK, TU may have been up 2 or 3 by half.

TUs outside backs are what makes this team go. The quality of service and contribution to the attack that Bromstedt and Cashion have make TU and extremely dangerous team. Of course they can do this because Zinnhard, Fazio, and Sach dominate the middle of the field. And of course TU unleashes Trace Ibrahim last night after not being much of a factor all season and he's a difference maker. It's crazy to think of the depth TU has right now and it's possible we haven't seen all of it yet. MHS got a few "get loose" minutes and Meinhard comes off the bench and plays about 30 minutes. Meinhard simply is the best player on whichever field he's playing on. He turned Creighton's defenders inside out in the 2nd half and he's got an impeccable 1st touch.

I've not seen WVa play. I'm thinking TU can do what they've done most of the year and dictate the tempo of the game and find their spots to attack.

Technically, you're not allowed to put logos or ads on the field for soccer. But then again, the NCAA doesn't use all of FIFA's laws to govern the game anyway so I suppose. If we're staying strictly within FIFA's laws, the field should be grass (or turf where allowed), and GREEN. Lines must be clearly marked, no wider than 4" and should be clearly distinguishable. Logos, emblems, ads are not permitted to be part of the playing surface including the areas just outside the touchlines and just beyond the goallines. (The ads you see on some pitches are CGI'd as part of a TV deal and can't actually be seen by players). Essentially, solid color green surface only broken up by field marking lines so as not to distract players or officials on the field.

TU does need to upgrade the lighting at both Skelly and the Hurricane Track and Soccer stadium. Take a look at what BA and Union have done with their upgraded lighting. (Union has the same LED lighting config that Alabama has where the lights can be programmed and choreographed to do some neat lighting tricks after scores, pregame, etc.). The LED lighting both schools have provide a brighter light and more coverage. We were at the game last night...the lighting on the field is fine for the players...but yeah, would agree that it comes across as a bit dark on TV. TU soccer is in a great place to go find some new donors to the program to help with some of those improvements...(and the track surface also needs to be redone....20 yrs and it's gotten hard and stiff...<insert adolescent boy joke here>. Hopefully TU can make it to the College Cup...people in Tulsa like to back a winner and the soccer team is going to be doing that for a few years to come.
Logos are permitted so long as they don’t obscure field markings and are not in the penalty area. TU had both its logo at the 50 and the soccer lines on Skelly for three decades.

My guess is it’s a coach’s preference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT