ADVERTISEMENT

TU Men's Soccer Fall thread

It’s where you order ribs.
I'm not even a big fan of Memphis style ribs. If you're doing spare ribs, St. Louis style is much better as you get rid of all the touch knuckles on the ends of the spare rib sections. My personal preference is give me a good slab of baby backs.

I don't pay for Apple TV but may have to do it for a month.

I don't pay for Apple TV but may have to do it for a month.
So Apple TV has a lot of deals. Right now mine is free because I got a new phone on T-Mobile, although I hear if you have your cell service on T Mobile, Apple TV is free.

TU men 1 Memphis 0. I haven't seen any stats yet so hard to break down but it didn't look like Memphis had many chances on goal.

Only got to watch the 2nd half. Meinhart wasn’t playing due to some sort of illness or injury, I think. We looked like the better team, but we’re lucky to escape with a win. Memphis hit the post from like 30 yards out with about 10 min left in the game.

TU has moved up to #4 in Top Drawer soccer rankings. SMU is #6 in the latest poll. The 2 play on Wednesday evening in what could be the game of the year so far in college soccer.
I think I might go. I can't remember, do they sell beer? And do they take a credit card at the merch stand?

TU has moved up to #4 in Top Drawer soccer rankings. SMU is #6 in the latest poll. The 2 play on Wednesday evening in what could be the game of the year so far in college soccer.

I can’t take it anymore!!! This program has been put in the drawers by its incompetent administration. We should at least be in a really nice armoire.

Granted, I won’t come out of the closet.

Your friend,

Bigzit

#7 in this week's NCAA poll. SMU is #12. Looking forward to tonight's game.

SMU is dirty AF. I’m pretty sure they got our guy in a head lock and somehow it was a foul against us. Very chippy at times. SMU got two yellow cards to start game, but but haven’t quit holding. We may have a yellow on us, but it looked like SMU wanted to fight red or themselves. Couldn’t figure it out.

SMU now playing for tie. Incredibly conservative. Meinhard just came out. Hopefully it’s just to a breather.

1-1

Our team is a lot more fun to watch, but likes it will be a tie.

SMU has more doods standing around in the back than a Wu Tang show.

TU has had most of the possession but SMU defense has been really good. And the Costa kid for smu is really good. Good enough to get them opportunities.

There seems to be a ton of space for smu to operate on the right flank.

Reactions: TU_BLA
What was up with the SMU guy randomly jumping the TU goalie? It had nothing to do with anything. There were a lot of crazy moments in this game, but that one made no sense.

What was up with the SMU guy randomly jumping the TU goalie? It had nothing to do with anything. There were a lot of crazy moments in this game, but that one made no sense.
Final?

2-1 good guys. Meinhard put a deflection in with 7 seconds left in second overtime.

Reactions: quincy101
This game was played at an incredibly high level by both teams. SMU has some really good players and they do what they do very well. They've also watched too much Mexican league soccer as #11 and #7 probably also dove for the SMU swim team.

TU is tactically better IMO. Tom has this team understanding the style of play they need to play and execute well to be successful. The one thing TU needs to be careful of is not getting impatient. Several times tonight TU had some turnovers that were due to being impatient.
Anyone who watched the game knows that SMU's #5 lost his soul to Taka Wyatt in the 2nd half. He probably hopes ESPN loses the footage so no one can rewatch his tragic death on the field.
SMU's defensive tactics were puzzling and frequently led to them needing to resort to aggressive tackling and hence the ridiculous number of yellows. And they should have had a 2nd player shown red. In the first half, #3 (red headed center back) had a bad challenge. Ref blew the whistle but he showed the yellow card to #25 (the other CB who was thoroughly confused). #3 was shown yellow in one of the OTs and shoukd have been gone. I'm shocked the ref didn't show a number of more yellows and reds to SMU as their constant whining and showing up the ref certainly warranted it. And I was for sure TU's #4 (Sachse?) would be shown red for the challenge on an SMU player in the 1st half. It was right in front of me and it was an awful challenge.

TU is the better team. The possess the ball and force teams to chase them around. The big 9 (#8, who my son called Haaland) had plenty of skill but he could really only contribute in 5-10 minute intervals. He spent so much time chasing the CBs, he was really ineffective. TU is also very good at making dynamic runs off the ball as well as some fantastic individual technical skill (see above passage about lives ending).

This team has a legit shot at a national championship.

As I watched the game I wondered if SMU historically has been assessed yellow and red cards at the same level they did this game. I agree that they could have had even more yellow and red cards assessed during this game. The rematch in Dallas should be a good one. I may try to drive up for it.

Evidently SMU has 20 yellow cards coming into this game. And now have like 27. At some point this is really stupid to play like that.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
I will say we have to be careful. The second half we came out aggressive and almost felt like we were starting to wear down towards the end. SMU is very good at counter attacks and we kept giving them that chance. We would get impatient and make not the best passing choices. I will say our back 3-4 are incredible. We really should have given up a goal or 2 in the second half on those counters but our defense was just absolute tremendous.

*Side note*
SMU have an entitled rich person feel to them. They can do whatever they want, when they want and when it doesn't go their way they play the victim. That is one team full of whiny spoiled brats.

Reactions: Gold* and TU 1978
I will say we have to be careful. The second half we came out aggressive and almost felt like we were starting to wear down towards the end. SMU is very good at counter attacks and we kept giving them that chance. We would get impatient and make not the best passing choices. I will say our back 3-4 are incredible. We really should have given up a goal or 2 in the second half on those counters but our defense was just absolute tremendous.

*Side note*
SMU have an entitled rich person feel to them. They can do whatever they want, when they want and when it doesn't go their way they play the victim. That is one team full of whiny spoiled brats.
I agree. We looked a bit slow to the ball late in the second half.

Hey 1978, your avatar looks suspiciously like Dr. Mazeppa Pompazoidi. He of the Saturday night film festival and camp meeting. The only thing funnier on live tv was maybe the 1st 3 years of SNL. I love it that Smoo's trip home was definitely a downer. Hope it was by bus to give them more time to reflect on getting their a$$e$ whipped with seconds to go. Heh,heh,heh!

Reactions: drboobay
Is it safe to say we're a soccer school now?

Yes! The real futbol!

Hey 1978, your avatar looks suspiciously like Dr. Mazeppa Pompazoidi. He of the Saturday night film festival and camp meeting. The only thing funnier on live tv was maybe the 1st 3 years of SNL. I love it that Smoo's trip home was definitely a downer. Hope it was by bus to give them more time to reflect on getting their a$$e$ whipped with seconds to go. Heh,heh,heh!

yes, that is Gailard Sartain, TU alumnus and Dr. Pompazoidi.

Reactions: quincy101
Several showbiz types started their careers with G-ailard S-artain. For example, Sartain himself had a wonderful career as a character actor in dozens of films. So did Gary Busey who was nominated for an Oscar in the Buddy Holly Story(& should have won it). And Jeannie Tripplehorn had a very nice career on the big screen.

If anyone wants a taste of the Uncanny camp meeting & fim festival and still has a VCR (I don't either), I saved a tape of bits & pieces from the show & would be happy to loan it out. I"ll bet Sartain still does his artist thing here in Tulsa-mostly acrylics and some paint. I've even got a print signed by him of his "Little Outhouse on the Prairie"

Belly back, back belly, back, back, back!

Reactions: TU 1978
Evidently SMU has 20 yellow cards coming into this game. And now have like 27. At some point this is really stupid to play like that.
Some guy on Twitter wanted an investigation into the # of yellow cards and the disparity and going as far as saying it should be investigated. I will say referees will sometimes be influenced by reputation and if they know how many cards a team has accumulated they will call the game with that in mind. And SMU put themselves in bad defensive spots and they tried to overcorrect it with aggression. You've got to know that a foul 60 yds from goal in the opening 20 seconds of the game is not worth it as there's no chance of a score coming off of that play from the position the TU player was in.

Not sure of the one on the nutmeg.
Was that the first half? If so, it was borderline, but I can see where the referee felt it denied a promising TU attack. Again, SMU's reputation this year is one of being over aggressive and over physical on the edge of out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT