ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

How many games out? I can't find their web page with Google.

Originally posted by Gold*:

Do a Google search "Royals minor leagues". It should pop up that way.

Originally posted by NO-Orange:

I tried. My computer froze and I got a picture of Bo Jackson breaking a bat on my screen, and then a flashing "LOL." Weird.

I tried. My computer froze and I got a picture of Bo Jackson breaking a bat on my screen, and then a flashing "LOL." Weird.

roll.gif
huh, they must have updated the version I saw. A Goerge Brett endorsement of Preparation H.

We finally got the bats going last night, hopefully that continues. We are still just 2 1/2 out of first, and have played a tough schedule. Baltimore and Detroit up next, then we start playing the Junior circuit. Albeit we play the surprising 1st place Marlins. We will get to see if they are actually good, or just winning because they get to play the NL teams.

Originally posted by eastcane:
Since this seems to be the baseball thread, check out CF Rick Ankiel's two darts to third against the Rockies last night, against two of the fastest baserunners in the game.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=stl

This is a baseball thread. Please keep it that way.

Thanks in advance.

Ankiel is better than anyone on the Royals roster. Should be . . . since the Royals are a minor league team.

Joakim Soria (right) has converted nine of nine save opportunities with a 0.00 ERA.

KANSAS CITY -- Joakim Soria was hemmed in by TV cameras, microphones and notebooks -- not to mention the folks wielding them -- in the Royals' clubhouse before batting practice on Wednesday.
Increasingly, Soria finds himself in the media spotlight. That's the result of having nine saves in nine chances and a 0.00 ERA in the first 1½ months of the season.

RADIO GUY: "It seems like the mental aspect of closing is as important as the physical part. Have you always had that?"

SORIA: "Well, I'm just working on my body and my stuff, and trying to be a good pitcher."

RADIO GUY: "A lot of people talk about whether you would be better as a starter or a closer on this team. What do you think?"

SORIA: "Well, we don't know yet. I've never started in the Major Leagues, you know. If they need me as a starter, I'll be a starter. If they need me as a closer, I enjoy being a closer."

And so it goes for Soria. He's made a TV spot for MLB.com promoting losroyals.com, the club's new Spanish-language site. He was fielding interviews for radio stations and newspapers from his native Mexico. In Kansas City, he's being recognized as the best closer since the Jeff Montgomery era ended in 1999.

He's becoming a media darling.

"Well, it's nice," he said with a smile. "It means I've been good."

Soria recognizes the value of relating with reporters on a broad scale.

"It's good for me and for my career that you guys come to me and give me questions and I answer them," he said. "I love KC, and it's good for us."

When Soria closed out the Tigers on Tuesday night, he pitched a 1-2-3 inning for the 10th time in 16 games. He has 16 strikeouts and just one walk in 15 1/3 innings of work. Opponents have hit just .080 against him, and at one point, he retired 24 straight batters.

His only flawed appearance came last Thursday when two hit batters and a single gave the Orioles a bases-loaded chance. Manager Trey Hillman brought in Ramon Ramirez, who doused the fire for his bullpen buddy.

Hillman likes the cool, calm, confident demeanor Soria brings to the mound.

"I'd rather have that temperament than the song coming on, 'Wild Thing,' " Hillman said. "I don't want body parts flying all over the place with our closer."

It's become fashionable to compare Soria with the Yankees' premier closer, Mariano Rivera.

"I think that's a good reference although it's awful early in Soria's career to put that pressure and that tag on him," Hillman said. "But he does have the same temperament and the same type of demeanor and that's important."

Whether it's hitters or reporters, bring 'em on. Soria is ready.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Did you watch him pitch in the 9th last night? He causes the most awkward swings in baseball.

I got to see him pitch the 9th Sunday against Baltimore. He's the real deal; wicked stuff.

Unrelated question: Is there some way to see Royals' TV broadcasts in Tulsa? The ORU channel is no longer carrying the scaled-down TV schedule of past years.

1. Soria: I don't think he compares to Rivera at all. Rivera basically just has that cutter. Soria has four "plus" pitches. He needs to be a starter - as good a closer as he is, he would be much more valuable as a starter.

2. TV: Royals games are on Fox Sports Midwest - Kansas City (there are two others, St. Louis and Indianapolis). So if you have cable where you can get all the Fox Sports channels you're good.

4 wins in a row! Baltimore, then a sweep of the Tigers.

And can we agree to quit discussing whether or not the Tigers are going to score 1000 runs this year? That would be great.

Don't fix what ain't broke. Leave Soria as closer, where he can save three games a week (if we can get to the 9th with a lead three times a week).

I get all the Fox sports channels via Dish Net., but the Royals games always seem to be blacked out. I thought it might be because this area is designated by MLB as Rangers country (gag).

Hey Old Guy,
If you're only getting Rangers games you must have Fox Southwest package. I'd switch to Fox Midwest if you're a Royals fan.

Royals win last five games. We are playing much better. The future is bright.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Is it cool to have a mancrush on Zac Grienke???

I hope so.

The Royals should have 3 players in the All-Star game this year.

Greinke
Soria
Grudzielanek

Also, Alex Gordon is first among Third Basmen in runs scored, hits, and doubles. 2nd in OPS, on base %, Slugging, and batting average. 3rd in HR's and 4th in RBI's.

I agree. Problem is, they'll have to make it as manager's selections. Three things work against any Royals position player being voted onto the starting lineup: the Royals' horrible record in recent years, the small market (fewer voters), and the fact that the Royals never, ever get to play on the Fox, ESPN or TBN national broadcasts.

How long has it been since the Royals had more than the mandatory one representative in the All Star game? It may have been back when George Brett and Bo Jackson were both in the starting lineup.

In '01 Dye and Mikes Weeney made it. Mikes Weeney was injured in '03 or he would have been playing with MacDougal.

Big Mike is hitting .292 in 96 AB, with 1 HR and 19 RBI for the A's. The big news, however, is that he hasn't been hurt yet. He's sharing DH duties with Frank Thomas.

Incidentally, Emil Brown is hitting .256 in 168 AB, with 4 HR and 33 RBI for Oakland. Compare that with Jose Guillen, who is batting .245 in 159 AB, with 5 HR and 30 RBI. I think he's hitting near .500 over the past couple of series, but he still needs to hit more homeruns.

Brown, who we got rid of, is doing somewhat better at a considerably lower salary than what we're paying Guillen. The good news is that Guillen is starting to heat up and could wind up being a better acquisition than he has looked so far.
This post was edited on 5/19 3:36 PM by old.guy

Royals notebook: Guillen named AL Player of the Week
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Ball Star | Blog on the Royals & baseball
More Royals coverage
BOSTON | Jose Guillen’s hot bat earned him recognition Monday as the American League Player of the Week. He went 11 for 24 last week for the Royals with five doubles, two homers and 13 RBIs in six games.

“I’m just showing up for work,” he said. “I’m not going to make any excuses, but being in the hot weather really helped a lot.”

Guillen’s surge pulled him out of an extended slump and raised his average to a season-high .245. It also raised his season totals to 16 doubles, five homers and 30 RBIs in 41 games.

The Royals won four of six games during the week.

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano was picked as the National League Player of the Week.

Guillen posted his big week despite battling a sore right hip and groin. He shifted back to designated hitter Monday at Boston after playing in left field for the three previous games at Florida.

“Being back in cooler weather,” manager Trey Hillman said, “I want to back off on the hip flexor a little bit. This gives us a chance to DH him because we’re back in an American League ballpark.”

The Player of the Week award was the second of Guillen’s 12-year career. He previously won for the week ending May 9, 2004 while a member of the Anaheim Angels.

“I’m not the type of guy to put pressure on myself,” he said. “I try to be the same guy whether I go zero for five or get three hits. This game will drive people crazy. I never forget what one of my friends told me a long time ago: Just stay the same every day.”

Pitcher Brian Bannister was picked as the AL’s Player of the Week earlier this year for the week ending April 13. He shared the award with Seattle outfielder Raul Ibanez.

Guillen is the first Royal to win the award outright since Mark Teahen for the week ending July 30, 2006. Guillen will receive an engraved Swiss Tourneau timepiece in recognition for winning the award.

This article will take you back 33 years.

Amos Otis remembers the last no-hitter thrown against the Royals
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

Otis The phone rings in Amos Otis’ Las Vegas home. Minutes earlier, he watched Jon Lester complete the first no-hitter against the Royals since May 15, 1973 ? so the memories were coming back.

Otis, after all, played a key role that night, which was Nolan Ryan’s first career no-hitter.

“You’re talking to the guy who made the last out of the last no-hitter,” he says.

It was a fastball, if Otis remembers correctly. He always looked fastball against Ryan because he thought that was his only chance. Hit it pretty good, too, all the way to the warning track in right field.

Ken Berry, a Gold Glove center fielder, had come in for Bob Oliver as a defensive replacement in right field and ran it down.

“He pulled me down at the 385 sign,” Otis says. “Right there on the warning track. If Bob Oliver had been out there, I’d have had it, I’d have broken it up.”

So it would have been a double?

“With my speed, give me a triple,” Otis says, laughing. “Don’t shortchange me.”

Otis and Ryan were former teammates with the Mets, so Otis says he had a full appreciation for Ryan’s ability. That’s why he wasn’t surprised when Ryan was so dominant that night, and wasn’t surprised when Ryan threw his second career no-hitter two months later.

“That was really when he started to transition from thrower to pitcher,” Otis says. “He had it all. The curveball, the slider, the change-up. Plus, he had that 100-mph fastball. That was the equalizer.”

Lester’s gem was the second no-hitter ever thrown against the Royals.

We're going through a tough stretch just like any team does during a season. Gotta see how Hillman handles the youngsters during the losing streak. I'm not worried b/c the winner of the division is only going to win 87, 88 games at the most. And the White Sox have racked up so much bad karma thanks to their douchebag manager, I don't see them running away and hiding.

We have young talent. Better seasons ahead soon.

Every bottom dweeler team has great young talent, signing them to long-term contracts will always be the rub for these same teams. Only a few teams can actually zap up the free agent talent, the Red Sox, Yanks, even the Cubs could be considered a bonafide threat mainly through their free agent aquisitions.

It's frustrating watching the same teams pick up the great free agent talent, the tax inacted a few years ago on top heavy payrolls helped, but MLB is still dominated by big markets and the big money coming from their cable deals.
This post was edited on 5/28 2:54 PM by eastcane

That is why the Royals locking up the talent with long term contracts several years before their current ones expire. Did you see the deal Soria just signed? The Royals finally have a GM that knows how to build an organization. He doesn't just scrap together players at the last minute like the old regime. He also knows that he has to overpay for some free agents until we start winning.

That's good Steve. The Royals have a payroll in 2008 of $58 million, while the Yankees have a staggering $209 million, four times the pay. What's amazing is that the Florida Marlins, that have by far the lowest payroll at $21 million, lead the NL East by a game and a half.

Guillen Goes Off After Five Run Lead Is Blown In 9th Inning.

I think he was right to do so. No more nice guy, Mike Sweeney around to say everything will be okay.

Royals cough up five runs in ninth to the Twins, drop 10th straight
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
“How does this happen? You tell me: How does this happen?”

Veteran outfielder Jose Guillen snapped Wednesday night ? somebody had to, didn’t they? ? after the Royals extended their losing streak to 10 games in stunning fashion by allowing a five-run lead to slip away in the ninth inning.

Justin Morneau then capped Minnesota’s remarkable comeback with a leadoff homer in the 10th inning for a 9-8 victory over the Royals at Kauffman Stadium.

“Too many babies in here,” Guillen fumed afterward in an otherwise hushed clubhouse. “They don’t know how to play the game and how to win games. That’s the problem here.

“Now I know why this organization has been losing for a while. Now I know. It doesn’t have anything to do with our manager. He cares more than anyone.”

Even so, manager Trey Hillman came in for plenty of second-guessing for his use of the bullpen by choosing to stay away from closer Joakim Soria, who threw a season-high 31 pitches in Tuesday’s loss.

“I’m not willing to possibly jeopardize the rest of the season with one of the biggest strengths on our club,” Hillman said. “Soria always says the same thing to (pitching coach Bob McClure) when he’s available. Today, he didn’t say the same thing. That’s a tell-tale sign about knowing your pitching staff and what they have available.”

Hillman was further strapped because Leo Nunez is heading to the disabled listed after suffering a strained muscle in the back of his right rib cage in Tuesday’s game.

Jimmy Gobble and Ron Mahay also pitched two innings apiece Tuesday, which left Hillman with a choice: Ramon Ramirez, Peralta and Yasuhiko Yabuta after Zack Greinke handed an 8-3 lead to the bullpen in the ninth.

“We didn’t have anyone else available,” Hillman said.

Ramirez started well enough. He struck out two of the first three hitters before everything unraveled.

Mike Lamb, Brendan Harris and Carlos Gomez each punched singles. That pulled the Twins to within 8-5 and prompted Hillman to summon Peralta to face Monroe, who batted for Alexi Casilla.

The count went to 3-0 before Monroe fouled off a pitch and swung through another. He connected on the full-count offering for his fifth homer of the season.

“I’m really thinking about trying to stay in the big part of the field,” Monroe said. “I thought I just needed to be a productive hitter; try to be a tough out.”

That homer snatched a victory away from Greinke, allowed Minnesota starter Livan Hernandez to escape with a no-decision and let Twins left fielder Delmon Young off the hook for some miserable defensive work.

Hillman stuck with Peralta to start the 10th even though he had allowed five hits in six previous career appearances against Morneau.

The result was a no-doubt bomb on Peralta’s first pitch. It was a throwback to the late-inning nightmares fashioned in recent years by the likes of Ambiorix Burgos, Andrew Sisco and Mike MacDougal.

Jesse Crain, 3-2, got a victory for a second straight night. Joe Nathan atoned for a blown save in Tuesday’s victory by pitching a scoreless 10th inning for his 14th save in 15 opportunities.

“This is all on us,” Guillen said. “It has nothing to do with any move our manager made. He cares. He wants to win more than anyone, and we’ve been letting him down.”

The Royals’ 10-game skid is their longest since losing 13 in a row from May 12-25, 2006. It is also the sixth-longest losing streak in franchise history.

This game was hard to swallow.

The Royals, 21-32, finished with a season-high 16 hits and got a shutdown performance from Greinke, who limited the Twins to three runs and five hits in eight innings. He struck out eight and walked two while throwing a career-high 117 pitches.

“I kept thinking the next guy was going to get out (in the ninth),” Greinke said. “I never really thought it was possible (to lose that game).”

Greinke likened the loss to the low point of the club-record, 19-game losing streak in 2005. The Royals had lost 10 straight when they carried a five-run lead into the ninth against Cleveland on Aug. 9, 2005, at Kauffman.

The Indians scored 11 runs in a 13-7 victory.

“This and the Indians’ one a couple of years ago,” Greinke said, “are the worst I’ve ever seen.”

Hernandez gave up eight runs and 13 hits in six-plus innings. So he was nothing like the guy who pitched seven shutout innings April 11 in his last appearance at Kauffman.

Even so, Hernandez had the game within reach ? trailing just 3-2 ? until Young committed two errors in a three-run fourth.

That seemed plenty. Until the ninth.

Guillen, for one, has had enough. He sat in front of his locker afterward while most of his teammates remained out of sight and vowed changes in measured tones flavored liberally by expletives.

“We’ve lost (10) in a row,” he said. “How do you think you feel about that as a player? We’re trying to win here. Anytime you start losing, people start blaming the manager. It’s not the manager.

“We have too many babies here who don’t know how to play the game. Well, we’re going to teach them the hard way or we’re going to teach them the easy way. But things are going to change here. I can tell you that. I can promise you that. Soon. And believe me when I tell you that.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day after outburst, Guillen says he’s ready to step up and lead team
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star
Crisis day with the Royals is only eight minutes old when the phone rings. It’s just past midnight, maybe an hour or so after Jose Guillen’s F-bomb-laden rant directed at his teammates and himself for underachieving.

The longest losing streak in the majors this year will do that kind of thing. So Guillen, after time to think and a private conversation with his manager, responds to a text message from The Star with a phone call.

“This (stuff) has to stop, man,” he begins. “It can’t go on like this.”

It is only the beginning of what will be a defining day of the Royals’ season. The highest-paid player puts the team on blast. Leo Nunez, the team’s second-best reliever so far, goes on the disabled list. Brett Tomko is moved to the bullpen, so the rotation is in flux.

And Billy Butler, a cornerstone of the future and the man whose jersey the team gave out the first month of the season, is sent to Class AAA Omaha. Guillen’s outburst is circulated around the city and country, and besides the Samuel L. Jackson language, the part that catches the most attention is his calling some teammates “(freaking) babies.”

Management has thought about giving Butler time in Omaha since well before Guillen started cursing, but many will make the connection anyway.

So Hillman calls a team meeting for 3:45 Thursday afternoon. He is the first to speak.

“Guys,” he says, “you know why they’re booing you out there? You know why you’re getting booed on your home field? It’s one reason and one reason only. Because those fans out there care.”

Hillman says “a couple” of players spoke as well, but Guillen wasn’t one of them.

He’d already said plenty, of course. In front of his locker after the game Wednesday, and then over the phone early Thursday morning.

Guillen’s main point on the phone, which may have been lost in the public digestion of his comments, is that he’s sick of hearing people bash Hillman. Guillen has a well-documented history of calling out managers when he feels it necessary, so the defense is worth noting.

It also could be viewed as Guillen’s emergence as a primary clubhouse voice, depending on how the team responds. Guillen has talked openly about seeing his career in a different stage now, a place where he can be the veteran, the clubhouse police officer.

He admits he spent enough time as the clubhouse punk who needed policing. Maybe this is his chance to return the favor.

“I learned the hard way,” Guillen says. “I’m not trying to point fingers at anybody, but this is not going to happen here. I signed a big deal here. I’m supposed to be one of the leaders. I’ve got a big responsibility to carry some of these young guys, and we need to play hard, so what’s wrong with getting on some guys?”

The feeling around the team seems to be that Guillen’s thoughts needed to be expressed ? by someone ? and Hillman said Guillen was the best candidate to do it.

But Guillen brings some of his own baggage to this conversation. He doesn’t always hustle out routine ground balls. He admittedly started the season 20 pounds overweight, which contributed to a bad personal start, which contributed to a bad team start.

Hillman and Royals general manager Dayton Moore each said they liked Guillen’s message but only wished it came with family-friendly language. Mark Teahen also saw some truth in the rant.

“He’s right,” he says. “We do need to learn how to win.”

John Buck, the team’s union representative, thinks Guillen’s language created more attention than the message otherwise would have. But, like Hillman, Moore and Teahen, Buck said he agreed with Guillen’s intent.

“Everything he said had value to it, and needed to be addressed,” Buck says. “There is some merit to what he said. We need to fix some things.”

So maybe this is why, even with all the drama, Moore is smiling.

He is leaning against the backstop behind home plate at Kauffman Stadium, long-sleeved shirt and tie ? but no sweat, not even on a hot afternoon. He is proud of the fact that these Royals, with their early work and infield practice, are working like few big-league teams before them.

So he smiles, even through a losing streak that’s keeping him up at night.

“I’ve never gone through this, ever,” Moore says. “You find out a lot about the people you work with. You find out a lot about your ownership, about yourself as a person and professional, and I’m liking what’s going on.”

Loss No. 11 comes without the historical indignity of a no-hitter, or the pain of a blown five-run lead in the ninth inning.

The embarrassment of a shutout is avoided on Kevin Slowey’s second-to-last pitch. His last pitch makes it his first career complete game.

And so the booing is steady throughout, the fans, as Hillman might point out, still at least caring enough to be heard. The loudest ovation comes when Hillman goes on the field to question a call, and the fans think he’s about to get tossed.

He doesn’t.

“There might be some people who perceive this as crisis,” Hillman says. “I just look at it as adjustments that need to be made not only now, but long term, for us to move forward. These adjustments happen to be made right in the middle of a 10-game losing streak. It’s unfortunate timing, because the perception gets turned up that it is a crisis.

“Well, it’s a crisis anytime we lose 10 games in a row, it is for me. We can’t afford to do that. I want an opportunity to be here for the championships.”

Re: Royals are still making moves

I cannot wait to revisit this thread in, say, mid-September (or sooner, say May, since it is the Royals) when the Royals are making new plans for '09.
laugh.gif

This post was edited on 1/3 12:58 PM by NO-Orange

wise man!

Re: Royals are still making moves

Royals = MLB's Rice (in regard to revenue sports only).

This post was edited on 6/4 2:21 AM by Blair Hollaway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT