ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Originally posted by TU goldenboy:

Originally posted by Gold*:
But you would agree that if a team was more likely to just not play the games in order to save the money, it would be the Royals?

I wish that were the case. Unfortunately we're talking about the club that decided Jose Guillen was worth 3 and $36MM.

On the bright side, instead of wasting tens of millions on extensions for players the entire league knows is washed up (read: Carpenter, Chris, et. al.) they're putting it into their minor league and international departments.

The Royals don't have tens of millions to waste. LOL.

Can you pay minor leaguers in Dairy Queen gift certificates?

During the 1970s and 1980s, the Royals could stake a claim to being baseball's model franchise. Not coincidentally, their demise corresponded with John Schuerholz leaving his Kansas City general manager post to take the same job with the Braves for the 1991 season. Now the Royals hope some of that karma will come back their way.

Kansas City went to the Atlanta well in search of the cure for its problems, hiring assistant GM for baseball operations Dayton Moore to replace Allard Baird as general manager in May. Moore had been with the Braves since 1997 and was an integral part of the best player-development system of the past decade. Now the Royals are banking on Moore being able to turn the "Braves Way" into the new "Royals Way."

In his first few months on the job, Moore wasn't been subtle in his attempt to bring the Atlanta model with him to Kansas City. Among his first orders of business were bringing on J.J. Picollo as farm director and Rene Francisco as director of international scouting, after working closely with both while with the Braves.

With the addition of Francisco, who was responsible for signing the likes of Rafael Furcal, Andy Marte and Odalis Perez for Atlanta, the Royals plan to beef up their scouting operation in Latin America after it was limited by financial constraints in recent years. They're set to open up a new academy in the Dominican Republic in 2007. While their budget for signings may not increase significantly, they'll allocate more time to becoming a presence in the international market.

The other major change that comes from Atlanta's model is the addition of a seventh minor league affiliate. With the new club in the Rookie-level Appalachian League, the Royals will join the Mets as the only organizations with seven U.S. affiliates. The Braves carried at least seven and sometimes eight from 1986-2001 before trimming costs.

"Adding another rookie league club is another opportunity for players to develop, especially pitchers," Moore said. "We felt a strong need to build depth with pitching. If you have 20 pitching prospects, you might get four or five to the big leagues. Some get hurt, some get traded, some underachieve."

I'm a big Braves fan. The farm system was more productive the last couple of years than the eight or so years between roughly Chipper/Lopez/Klesko/Andruw and McCann/Johnson/Francouer. Perez, Chen, Bell, Rivera, and so many others were busts (Perez has been OK, but not what he was supposed to be). It's really hard to say one way or another about farm systems.

I remember reading Baseball America in about '99 or so (height of my love of baseball) and they raved about all the young pitching in the Braves system. I don't think any of them stuck.

That article referenced, IIRC, the retiring director of the system. Kudos to the Royals for trying to develop within -- Atlanta did that, but also paid contracts for free agents prior to the AOL merger and sell off. What KC is trying to do, from the sound of it, is more like Oakland or Florida. If anyone actually develops, it takes a lot to keep them out of the major markets -- ask Oakland.

Any good team is built from within - either via homegrown stars (early Yankees dynasty, early Atlanta dynasty, Marlins, etc.) or using their farm system to acquire key pieces in addition to their core (most recent examples are the now dying White Sox, still rising Tigers, and the '04-'07 Cardinals). This is really economics. Assets are much more cost effective to acquire and develop than to acquire as finished products. For finished products (very good players) the supply is miniscule and demand is nearly infinite. The supply shrinks even further if you're focusing on a certain position.

The problem with the early Glass-era Royals was that the ownership was the least educated group in town in regards to the economics of the game. They weren't willing to invest in ANY part of player development - upstream or downstream. That mindset has obviously changed with the lesson learned after they hamstrung Allard Baird. They Royals now have the most farm teams of any organizations, have spent a lot of money on the top coaches/staff/instructors, and are developing a top notch international system - not just Latin America. In addition, they have proven willing to spend money on needs with Meche and Guillen. Each of the last two years the Royals have spent the most on a single free agent in their very competitive division.

Meanwhile, the economics of the game in general have changed. Baseball is flush with cash and still getting stronger. Even better for clubs like the Royals - the revenues that are growing are the pieces that are shared. All clubs have learned from this too as player salaries have not kept up with revenue growth. Several years ago player salaries were 60% of revenue. Now they're 50%. In 1999 the highest club had 5X the Royals payroll. Now only 2 clubs have even 2X. The Royals payroll is growing while the top clubs aren't.

Granted, salary isn't everything. The notoriously cheap Twins have had a great run the last few years, and last year's division champion - Cleveland - had the division's lowest payroll. But what's important is that all signs point to the Royal's ownership having learned their lesson and how to generate both revenue and victories.

Some things remain to be seen, but we'll know in the near future if and when they lock up their young stars into their free agency years. If anything the Royals seem to be following Cleveland's model. Build from within, trade overlapping pieces, spend money on free agents where needed (I'd definitely take Meche for $11MM over Paul Byrd for $7MM - these days), and lock up young stars early as the Tribe has done with Sizemore and Hafner.

HUGE win!!! Come back on one of the best pitchers in baseball, Meche gets a quality start against one of the (if not THE) best offensive team in the game, Gordon with a big homer, a rope from Guillen to save a run at the plate, Grudz is nails, big ABs from the bottom of the order, and Soria pitching out of the jam for the save.

AL Central Division leaders! We've still got a chance on April 1st!

We are going undefeated.

At least in the month of March.

Good win against a good team on the road.

I sooooo look forward to my Royals update for all 162 games of the year. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by NO-Orange:
I sooooo look forward to my Royals update for all 162 games of the year. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
rolleyes.gif

I hope we can update you on a few more Royals games than that this year.
smilie2.gif

rolleyes.gif

I know a REALLY easy way not to get 180* more Royals updates this season...

*Assuming all 3 of our playoff series this year go the full amount of games

I thought for sure that you would have updated that the Cardinals have started 0-1. I will be happy to report back when the Royals are 15-20 out before the All-Star break. [insert evil laugh]

This Royals Pitching staff is looking dominant. To shutout the Tigers like that is impressive. Only 1 of their players got a hit, and only one more reached base.

2-0!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I thought for sure that you would have updated that the Cardinals have started 0-1. I will be happy to report back when the Royals are 15-20 out before the All-Star break. [insert evil laugh]

That's because I honestly don't care. If the "best fans in baseball" spent as much time watching their own team as they did complaining about the Cubs or talking about how they're "basically the Yankees" or trying to put down the Royals maybe they'd know enough so that I wouldn't have to listen to foolish statements like "Scott Rolen is the greatest third baseman ever".

Now, hopefully that is the last time we have to discuss the Cardinals in a Royals thread until they play in June.

How about Banny today. The staff combines for a 3 hitter and Soria strikes out the side in the ninth. Looking salty early on!

Banny had his stuff working today. That trade with the Mets is reason enough to like Moore, then he picks up Soria in the rule 5 draft after watching him throw a perfect game for his Mexican league team in the playoffs. Soria has some great stuff, not overpowering, but everything jumps at the last second.

Leo Nuenez is looking good too!

I would be surprised if the Tigers get shut out 2 more times in their remaining 160 games.

Lets go ROYALS!! !! !

Originally posted by TU goldenboy:

That's because I honestly don't care. If the "best fans in baseball" spent as much time watching their own team as they did complaining about the Cubs or talking about how they're "basically the Yankees" or trying to put down the Royals maybe they'd know enough so that I wouldn't have to listen to foolish statements like "Scott Rolen is the greatest third baseman ever".

Now, hopefully that is the last time we have to discuss the Cardinals in a Royals thread until they play in June.

How about Banny today. The staff combines for a 3 hitter and Soria strikes out the side in the ninth. Looking salty early on!

Ya know, the banter was all in good fun. Geez, you Royals fans have no sense of humor -- guess 23 years not making the playoffs will do that to you.
This post was edited on 4/3 1:25 PM by NO-Orange

Anyone else going to the Home Opener against the Yankees?

Nice sweep of the Tigers.
This post was edited on 4/3 7:45 PM by TUMU

I'll be there with my rain gear on tailgaiting, I think it is supposed to stop raining before the 1st pitch.

How 'bout Gobble coming in for the save last night, giving Soria and much needed and much deserved night off in the bullpen.

Grienke is just toying with people right now.

The Bullpen is throwing great right now.

Break out the brooms, the Royals are going for their second sweep of the year.

this thread is going to get long by the world series...

can't believe the royals are kicking like they are...i can just see dick howser and kauffman enjoying the view from where they are sitting!!!! i love it!

Definitely struggled on the west coast trip. But Hochevar, despite the loss yesterday, looked like a major league pitcher. I think that could be a helluva rotation with Meche, Bannister, Grienke, and Hochevar. Throw Tomko or de la Rosa in as a fifth and I'll take it.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no ....

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
Definitely struggled on the west coast trip. But Hochevar, despite the loss yesterday, looked like a major league pitcher. I think that could be a helluva rotation with Meche, Bannister, Grienke, and Hochevar. Throw Tomko or de la Rosa in as a fifth and I'll take it.

There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no ....

I like how Moore is building the team, we are starting to look like the Braves of the early 90's. Cortez pitching in NW Arkansas is supposed to be the best of the bunch.

The Braves went to the World Series in the early 90's. Work on making the playoffs first.

If Gil can get his stuff together, and I think he will we will have one of the best starting rotations in baseball. Our 5th guy stinks, but next year we will probably be looking at Meche, Banny, Greinke, Hoch, and Cortez. We have the situational lefties in the bullpen, a good setup man in Nuenez, and a great closer.

Guillen is coming around with the weather, a couple of more bats and we have ourselves the makings of a very good team.

Banny had an uncharacteristically awful day yesterday. Whacko Zacko was incredible (again) today, but got no run support - dropping a 2-1 decision on two solo homers.

I'd actually like to see Soria in the rotation next year (or this fall). You can't waste a guy with 4 pitches as a closer.

Wow. I've never really checked out the General board before and I didn't realize that people talk about my beloved Royals over here. That said, here is a summation of the Royals problems this year: Jose Gillen on steroids, homerun power; Jose Gillen off steroids, warning track power. Why sign a guy whose previous stats were chemically inflated?

I think you are probably right on Guillen, I am willing to give him through June though. He historically starts off bad when playing in cold weather. He grew up where it is over 75 year round, playing in the low 40's for over half the games so far hasn't helped him any.

I saw we traded de la Rosa. Did we get anything in return?

ARLINGTON -- Left-handed pitcher Jorge De La Rosa was traded to the Rockies for a player to be named, the Royals announced on Wednesday.
The Royals also sent cash to the Rockies, who are expected to start De La Rosa on Saturday against the Dodgers. Colorado needed a starter after demoting left-handed rookie Franklin Morales to Triple-A Colorado Springs.

"It's a good opportunity for me," De La Rosa said. "It's nice to get back in the Major Leagues."

De La Rosa, since accepting an assignment to Triple-A Omaha, has a 3-0 record and a 1.64 ERA. He had given up 18 hits and just four runs in 22 innings, with 23 strikeouts and seven walks.

Although Coors Field, home of the Rockies, is known as not being pitcher-friendly, De La Rosa was not concerned.

"I pitched there before, and I liked it," he said.

His first start there will be against a fellow Mexican pitcher, Dodgers right-hander Esteban Loaiza.

De La Rosa had been rumored to be the player to be named in the deal that brought reliever Ramon Ramirez to Kansas City, but the Royals said there was no connection between that deal and this one. The Rockies still owe the Royals a player and vice versa.

Technically, De La Rosa's contract was moved from Omaha to Colorado Springs.

De La Rosa pitched two seasons for the Royals, compiling an 11-16 record and 5.64 ERA in 36 games (33 starts) in 2006-07. He was obtained from the Brewers on July 26, 2006, in exchange for infielder Tony Graffanino.

"I want to thank Kansas City for the opportunity they gave me the last two years," De La Rosa said.

During his stay with Omaha, De La Rosa said he benefited from the help of pitching coach Tom Burgmeier, a former left-handed pitcher.

During Spring Training, De La Rosa was unable to regain his job in the starting rotation and was designated for assignment on March 26.

In 97 Major League games, De La Rosa has a 15-23 record and a 5.85 ERA.

I saw we traded de la Rosa. Did we get anything in return?

We get the assurance that he won't be called up this year to start.

Rome was cracking on Bale the other day for throwing the punch at the wall. What a dumas.

I think Bale breaking his own hand, forcing him onto the DL, qualifies as "taking one for the team."

Since this seems to be the baseball thread, check out CF Rick Ankiel's two darts to third against the Rockies last night, against two of the fastest baserunners in the game.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=stl

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT