ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

SEe, that's why Royals fans are retarded. The Cardinals never play the ENTIRE AL. Just the teams in interleague and in the World Series.

How many World Series games has KC played in since the start of interleague play in the regular season?

*crickets*

The domination continues.

Total runs scored in last seasons series:
KC-40
STL-27

Total runs scored in '85 series:
KC-28
STL-13

who-cares.jpg

Whatever, Hilliary. Take your villiage and shove up your patootie, if George Brett hasn't already permenantly occupied that space.

But, but but, the Royals scored way more runs more than 20 years ago in the WS against the Cards -- and since then, exactly how many Septembers did the Royals have a shot at a divisional title versus the Cards???? Waiting, waiting --
laugh.gif
New Coke and the Royals -- two great legacies from 1985!

Originally posted by Steve Zissou:
New Coke was much better than Crystal Clear Pepsi.

That's like saying the Royals are better than the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. No one cares outside of AAA.

Originally posted by Gold*:
SEe, that's why Royals fans are retarded. The Cardinals never play the ENTIRE AL. Just the teams in interleague and in the World Series.

How many World Series games has KC played in since the start of interleague play in the regular season?

*crickets*

whocaresrm4.jpg

*crickets*

whocaresrm4.jpg

No one caes because that was several posts ago -- sort of like the Royals bragging about their last major free agent acquisition.

Wait a second -- have the Royals ever made a free agent acquisition of note?

Yeah, baby! I've got a touch of the Royals Fever. Might even go to spring training next year since I doubt TU basketball will be doing any postseason again.

I haven't made opening day in quite a while. I usually try to make that Wednesday or Thursday afternoon game the first week.

Opening day always reminds me of going to games in the 80's. The crowd is phenomenal.

LOL at the Cardinals. Can't wait to see Juan Gonzales get hurt in spring training during his first at-bat.

Juan Gonzalez, that is funny. They are really in bad shape if they bring Juan in.

Troy Glaus and Pujols will also have a hard time getting/staying healthy now that they can't take HGH.

I went to the Fanfest mentioned in the article - it was outstanding - and now only 7 days until the 4 greatest words in the English language - Pitchers and catchers report!!!

Already looking forward to Greater Kansas City Day (aka - opening day). Will be working in the morning with a great group of people, then the tailgate starts early. And it's a 3:05 first pitch against the Yankees.

Drove by the K on Friday. The new scoreboard is just a shell right now. They've got a lot of work to do in the next two months!

Deadline set for online lottery to purchase tickets for Royals home opener

Fans seeking to buy tickets to the Royals’ home opener April 8 against the New York Yankees have until noon on Feb. 27 to enter an online lottery program at www.royals.com.

What's the scoop with Fatolo Colon??? I thought I saw his name on the ticker this morning but couldn't tell what it was about.

Another good article

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- It was a time to pay homage to the past and to rally hope for the future on Wednesday for the Royals.
Practice fields at the facility were named for Dick Howser, who managed the 1985 world champions, and for two of his players, George Brett and Frank White. The observation tower overlooking four other fields was named for scout Art Stewart.

"We've begun a very exciting new era in Royals history, as everybody knows, but today it is very appropriate for this organization to recognize four very special people who have been instrumental in creating and establishing the great tradition we have in Kansas City," general manager Dayton Moore said.

Uniformed players gathered at Field No. 7 before the morning workout for the dedication ceremonies.

"Even though the last few years haven't been the brightest, just as George and I were 22, 23 years old starting a new regime in Kansas City, you guys have an opportunity to do that today," White told the players.

"We want this club to get back to where it once was. We want you guys to develop your own tradition. We want people to stop talking about 1985. We want them to starting talking about 2008 and 2009 and 2010 because you can only go back for so long and talk about how things used to be. ... We just hope it's time to start a new cycle. It's your time to start a new tradition in Kansas City."

White and Brett, serving as camp instructors, accepted their honors. John Wathan, who also played for the '85 World Series champions, accepted for the late Howser's family. Moore accepted for Stewart, who was home in KC after the death Tuesday of his wife, Donna.

Wathan remembered how Howser brought the Royals from the brink of defeat twice in the postseason.

"We were down to Toronto three games to one and down to St. Louis three games to one and won that world championship," Wathan said. "When we were down, as always, he would always find a way to pump up our spirits by saying, 'Guys, find a way to get it done.' "

Brett, a Hall of Famer, seemed to surprise some of the young players with a brief summary of his early career.

"I've been in this organization since 1971. I was drafted out of high school a second-round Draft pick," he said. "My career didn't get off to a very good start. I hit .290 my first year in Rookie League in Billings, .270 in San Jose in the California League and .282 in Omaha and somehow I got to the big leagues. And that's when I learned how to play baseball."

A moment of silence was observed because the dedication came in the wake of two events that caused sadness in the camp. Travel director Jeff Davenport's father died last week and services were held Wednesday in Greenville, Ohio. Stewart's wife of 47 years died on Tuesday.

Moore noted that all of the players, present and past, at the ceremony began their careers because of the vision of a scout.

News and features:

? Meche eyes more run support, wins in '08
? Royals notes: Bunting drills need work
? Buck looks forward to erasing '07 struggles
? Royals notes: Versatile Huber in good shape
? Royals notes: Greats honored at dedication
? Rosa turning heads for Royals
Multimedia:

? Brian McRae at Royals camp 400K
? Hillman on catcher situation 400K
? Olivo on spring competition 400K
? Moore checks in from Royals camp 400K
? Hillman at Royals camp 400K
? Mahay on joining Royals 400K
Spring Training info:
? MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

"Art Stewart has had that vision for so many players throughout his career and has had that great vision and that great pride to be a Kansas City Royal. I can't think of anybody more deserving to be inducted into the Royals Hall of Fame this summer and I can't think of anybody more deserving to have a tower named after him, a place in history here in Surprise," Moore said.

"He's a special friend to anybody who's ever been associated with the Royals and one of the great ambassadors in all of baseball."

No Fatolo for us. He signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox the other day. But MUCH more importantly, the first spring training game is tomorrow!!!

For those interested, I've got a full list of good Royals blogs, but these are my favorites:

http://www.royalsreview.com
Lots of good stuff here, including daily game threads, and running items on a countdown of the top 100 Royals ever and a review of all Royals radio affiliates.

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com
Rany is a great Baseball Prospectus writer and for the past 10 years, posted some great dialogues with Rob Neyer. He's struck out on his own this year and does some of the best analysis on the Royals.

http://www.joeposnanski.com
Wrote the annual "Why the Royals will win" article linked above. This is a bit of a wider focus than just the Royals, but he's my favorite columnist and I enjoy his style. Plus, he has done a ton of work with the Negro Leagues and Buck O'Neill which is always a gigantic plus in my book.

National observers see Royals on upswing
By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star
N o one is suggesting the Royals are going to be the sleeper team in the American League this season.

But the national image of the Royals might be ever so slowly starting to change.

ESPN baseball analysts John Kruk and Steve Phillips, in a conference call with reporters Wednesday, each told me they think the Royals are finally headed in the right direction.

“The biggest thing,” Phillips said, “is that they’re letting their young kids play. They’re not going out and signing a whole bunch of older veterans, thinking they can win right now, kind of what Tampa Bay did a couple of years ago.

“They signed Jose Guillen, and who knows how that will impact the younger players, but for the most part, they’ve got young guys who need to play and who will play. If you’re a Royals fan you’re going to see some mistakes and some mental errors, but you’re also going to see some great play. They’ve got talent.”

Like most baseball observers, Phillips is dutifully impressed with Alex Gordon and Billy Butler.

“I really like Alex Gordon’s swing,” Phillips said “It’s just a solid baseball swing. And Billy Butler, I love watching that kid play. He can hit.”

Kruk said he believes the Royals are headed in the right direction, especially at manager.

“Most everyone in baseball agrees that Trey Hillman is the perfect match for the Royals,” Kruk said. “He’s a developmental guy who’ll be a great teacher. He’s a serious baseball guy, really a perfect fit for them.”

Back to the pen

A little disappointment for our old friend Jeremy Affeldt. He signed with the Reds this year with the promise of a shot at the starting rotation.

But it’s back to the pen after four games and 11 2/3 innings in which he gave up 19 hits, walked five and allowed 15 earned runs.

“The timetable they gave me to do it, I didn’t prove to them that I could,” Affeldt told reporters in Sarasota, Fla. “They had to go with their best options. It is what we have to do to win.”

To win the starter’s job he needed to add a change-up, build stamina and relearn pitching from a windup after pitching mostly in relief last year.

“I’m not disappointed,” he said. “I love that job too. That job is a fun job, game-on-the-line situations.”

Good deed

A hearty Top of the Mornin’ salute goes out to Mark Firestone.

The story starts with my car getting broken into last week ? the thief or thieves got my computer as well as personal items, including some documents and an important phone/address book.

Naturally the computer is long gone, but amazingly, Mark, while walking his dog in a park near the Plaza, found the documents and the address book a few days later ? all intact. And he was thoughtful enough to track me down so I could retrieve them.

There are still good people out there, friends.

To reach Jeffrey Flanagan call 816-234-4492 and leave a message or send e-mail to jflanagan@kcstar.com
? 2007 Kansas City Star and

Affeldt ... just another young pitcher who could've been that somehow got screwed up. I wonder if he ever got over those blister problems.

I cannot wait to dredge this thread up from the dead, say, in July, when the Royals are 20 games out of first!!!!

Posted on Thu, Mar. 20, 2008
Brett picks Gathright as best of the spring

SURPRISE, Ariz.| Who is having the best spring training for the Royals?

George Brett hardly hesitated with his response.

“Joey Gathright,” Brett said. “He’s doing all the things we need him to be doing. He’s hitting down on the ball, and when he puts the ball on the ground, or he lines it somewhere, he’s tough for opponents to deal with.

“Oh, and he’s the best bunter on the team, period. Keep an eye on him this year.”

Gathright happened to hear the praise from the Hall of Famer as he headed for the batting cage.

“I’ve never heard (Brett) say that about me,” Gathright said, smiling. “It’s nice to hear.”

Gathright isn’t about to claim he’s having that great a spring training. He’s not really stopping to notice.

“I don’t know that it feels all that different,” he said. “I’m just busy working.”

Gathright is hitting .316 with a team-high eight steals and a tied for a team high with 11 runs scored.

“He’s playing faster,” Paul Splittorff said. “I haven’t seen that speed before.”

Gathright gives the Royals something any run-starved offense needs ? pressure on the defense because of that speed.

“I’m just trying to be around the bases as much as I can,” Gathright said. “Whatever it takes to get on base and be around it.

“I’m trying to pattern my game after Juan Pierre. I’m trying to become the best bunter I can be and really use that as a weapon. I think I’m getting better at it, but I know I can still improve quite a bit.”

For now, Gathright figures to be an extra weapon lurking from the bench, though there are some observers who think the Royals could be better served by having Gathright in left and moving Mark Teahen to first.

Getting better

If there’s one area that Brett believes the Royals may improve the most in 2008, it’s situational hitting.

“It’s not great yet, but it’s better,” he said. “I’ve seen more guys emphasize it in their approach.”

No gawking

After David DeJesus cracked a homer during batting practice Thursday, he, like most hitters do, observed his feat for perhaps a second too long.

“Don’t watch it, David,” manager Trey Hillman said. “Don’t watch.”

In other words, get back to work.

Old days

Former Royal catcher John Wathan was chatting with Splittorff about Wathan’s major shoulder surgery last fall.

“That’s from trying to throw out all those runners you let get on first base,” Wathan cracked.

“Actually, I thought I did pretty well just keeping them at first,” Splittorff said.

T

Originally posted by NO-Orange:
I cannot wait to dredge this thread up from the dead, say, in July, when the Royals are 20 games out of first!!!!

Cardinals fans are angry little thread-sh!tters, aren't they? It would be sad if it wasn't so funny.

Much more importantly though, first televised game is tonight on Fox Sports Midwest (so if you only have Cox in Tulsa you won't get it). 8:05 CT vs the Dodgers! Right now, it's looking like more than half of this season's games will be in HD too!!!

Supposedly the Royals games won't be blacked out this year, so we are looking at around 140 games!

Supposedly the Royals games won't be blacked out this year, so we are looking at around 140 games!

Are they just not playing the other 22? If a tree falls in the forest . . .

I think those were the gimmie wins vs. the Junior Circuit (National League). As you probably know the Royals have been dominating of late vs. the Nat'l league teams.

I don't know why they are only broadcasting 140 of the royals games on Fox Sports, they don't broadcast 162 of the redbird regular season games either.

But you would agree that if a team was more likely to just not play the games in order to save the money, it would be the Royals?

But you would agree that if a team was more likely to just not play the games in order to save the money, it would be the Royals?

I wish that were the case. Unfortunately we're talking about the club that decided Jose Guillen was worth 3 and $36MM.

On the bright side, instead of wasting tens of millions on extensions for players the entire league knows is washed up (read: Carpenter, Chris, et. al.) they're putting it into their minor league and international departments.

Mother of God.

The Legend of Joey Gathright continues. (Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cySfw8f0beg )

I'm watching Royals and Dodgers in spring training right now and Gathright (in typical Gathright fashion) hits a chopper near the first base line. The pitcher fields and goes to tag him. But he never gets the chance because, despite the fact that he is standing upright, Gathright proceeds to jump over him.

Again, HE JUMPED OVER THE FREAKIN' PITCHER!!! The pitcher was so surprised he bobbled the ball allowing John Buck and his two wooden legs to score from second.

It's too bad Gathright doesn't get on base a little more often. Then we could deal DeJesus, get something of value, and improve immensely in defense up the middle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT