ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Originally posted by TUMU:

Originally posted by NO-Orange:
Royals are hot right now
smilie2.gif

Who put a gun to your head?

Hey, we have gun laws in DC . . . oh, wait... No, no, fair is fair -- the Royals are doing well. And, yes, they beat the Cards again.

Pretty poor play the last two days, but you can't complain too much about a 6-3 homestand. Competition gets much tougher now.

More than anything, I'm more than happy for all the obnoxious Cardinals fans to leave our fair city in their rearview mirrors. Thanks for bringing some class to our establishments this weekend.
rolleyes.gif

Things back to normal, Cards winning, and the Royals being one spoke shy of a sucsessful bike ride.

I'm sick of playing AL teams. Thank God for the break. I'm already looking forward to the NL games for next season - even when we visit downtown St. Louis for a series at Stella Artois Stadium!

Originally posted by TU goldenboy:
I'm sick of playing AL teams. Thank God for the break. I'm already looking forward to the NL games for next season - even when we visit downtown St. Louis for a series at Stella Artois Stadium!

The beers will really be expensive when that deal is finalized.

Who do you think we will end up dealing Mahay to? There are reportedly 4 teams interested. We need a shortstop and corner outfielder for our Series run in 2010.

We swept the A's in Oakland today. First 3 game sweep at Oakland since June,1988.
This post was edited on 7/31 7:43 PM by TUMU

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
About 10 years ago, my dad had the misfortune of getting Ed Hearn on his four-man.

I have a card your pops might be interested in:

ed_hearn_autograph.jpg

Seriously, Freddie can hit a golf ball farther in yards than he could a baseball in feet.

I'll be checking out the rapidly improving Royals this weekend against the first place Twins.

I smell wildcard.

Every time we make a move toward .500, we hit a snag. So ole' LEC gonna keep quiet. Really need Bannister and Hochevar to be a little more consistent and learn from their mistakes. Glad to see Grienke retaliate the other day against Chicago. But I would've been scared to death if someone had charged him.

The most important thing to note here - it's not the Mexinator, it's the Mexicutioner.

That being said, we remain the Royals. I've been to a ton of games this year from highs (opening day beatdown of the Yanks and last night over the BoSox) to lows (being down 19-0 to Detroit two weeks ago and having Pena pitch the 9th - in what sadly was by far his best performance of the year) and everywhere in between. Some individual players have good streaks or been good overall (Grienke, Aviles, and the bullpen have all been nails) but as a whole we remain maddeningly inconsistent.

I'm really starting to sour on Hillman. The only time Soria has pitched more than an inning has been extra inning games. Last night, bases juiced, 2 outs, what better time to bring in your best pitcher!?!?!?! People are too beholden to the idea of the closer only pitches the ninth lately. Also, despite my dad's misguided assesment of a small sample size, Ross Gload is not an everyday player. He's got a negative VORP and no matter where you playing him, he's holding back a player that should be getting evaluated.

God, sometimes I hate how much I love this team.

Lost tonight. Overall we have much better talent than past years.

Aviles looks like the shortstop going forward.

We are improving.

Hoping to attend Friday or Saturday game this weekend.

Also, Ed Hearn gave the speech at my high school all-sports breakfast in March, 1998. I have never heard (and will never hear) an angrier man in my life.

We suck. We're just laying down every night. I expected better from a Trey Hillman team whether we're in first, second, or last place.

Pretty disappointing season.

I expected better.

KANSAS CITY -- Hardly anyone, including Royals general manager Dayton Moore, expected this.
On Aug. 4, the Royals won for the seventh time in eight games and the future looked bright. They were just seven games below .500 and the elusive break-even point beckoned. They were in fourth place and 9 1/2 games behind first-place Chicago in the American League Central, the closest they'd been in more than a month.

Since then, through Monday, they'd lost 15 of 18 games. They were 19 games below .500, deep in last place and 19 games off the pace.

"I certainly expected our players to be performing much better," Moore said. "We've had some injuries but injuries are part of the game and you can't make excuses. Other players have got to step up."

Moore stepped up to take his part of the blame, saying he needed to create a greater backlog of talent within the farm system.

"Our coaching staff has grinded it out all summer, they've worked hard and are very prepared. A lot of fundamental work continues to be done," Moore said.

"I've got to do a better job of getting depth in the organization, so when injuries occur, we're able to fill the holes."

There weren't a lot of options, for example, when the Royals needed a starting pitcher last Sunday. About the only choice was Brandon Duckworth, who had veteran credentials, but only a 5-11 record for Triple-A Omaha.

The Royals' pitching, after a promising beginning this season, has fallen off and ranks third from the bottom in the AL with a 4.74 ERA.

"For whatever reason, we haven't been able to maintain the consistency that we all expected. We've all got to look ourselves in the mirror and figure out how to get better," Moore said.

The Royals ranked second to last in the AL in runs scored and not even the influx of power hitter Jose Guillen (17 homers, 80 RBIs) has made an appreciable overall improvement.

"I mean, he's done well. He's certainly an improvement to any player we had on the team last year, but I think Jose would tell you I think he expects more out of himself," Moore said.

First-year manager Trey Hillman, who has a multi-year contract, will be back and Moore was satisfied with his work.

"I think Trey has done a terrific job, along with the coaching staff, and any lack of success that we've had on the field, I'll take responsibility for it," Moore said. "And our players will take responsibility as well. Any time a team is not achieving to their accustomed level or their estimated level of expectation, everybody has to take responsibility."

Moore doesn't believe the team has quit under the burden of all the recent losing.

"I don't think so," Moore said. "I think the energy level is good. We're just not performing right now. ... We've got 31 games left and I still expect us to finish strong."

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

thanks for posting. Duckworth is 5-11 at Triple-A ???! Good Lord.

what the **** has Guillen done in the last two months ?

Also, when Grudzielanek went down for the year seems to be about the time this team decided they were going to stink it up every day. the fact Meche is 10-10 is actually worth almost every dollar he's getting paid.

Gtudz.... is important to the team.

He is a free agent at the ene of the year. I don't think he will be back.

Disappointing stretch for sure.

But I caught a game a couple of weeks ago and was highly impressed by Aviles, I agree with the SS of the future comment for sure.

The most disappointing and frustrating about this season is the fact that the the great prospects we were putting so much hope in are not as advertised. Tehan, Gordon, Butler have turned out to be .240 hitters with no power. Guillen is productive only in short spurts, few and far between. The young pitchers are inconsistent. The Royals organization seems to be very good at identifying and developing players who are outstanding at AAA and mediocre at the next level.

Interesting article on Ed Hearn. Some of you had funny things to say about him a few weeks ago.

08/27/2008 10:00 AM ET
By Mark Dent / MLB.com

The second inning of Ed Hearn's life began with a routine physical at a doctor's office.
It was there, in 1991, three years after a shoulder injury ended his Major League baseball career and he didn't think anything could get worse, that Hearn learned he had a serious kidney disorder. He was crushed.

Three kidney transplants and multiple bouts with skin cancer later, Hearn has accepted everything that's happened to him and used his misfortune to help others. Hearn has written a book and gives speeches.

"I began to see things entirely different," Hearn said. "I see the past experiences, highs and lows, as a gift given to me and they became gifts to pass on to others."

Hearn's baseball career hardly registers for the casual fan. He played one season as Gary Carter's backup for the 1986 World Series champion Mets then came to the Royals in '87 in a trade for David Cone. Hearn played a total of 13 games for Kansas City before a shoulder injury forced him to retire in 1988.

He tried the Minors again for a couple more years before taking a job in the real world. That's when the doctor gave him the bad news.

Focus shifted. Three years earlier, it was about finding a way to stay in the big leagues. Now, he was just trying to stay alive.

Hearn underwent dialysis for his kidney problem and ultimately has had three transplants since his career-ending shoulder injury. The operations forced him to take as many as 50 pills a day, and these medications wreaked havoc on his body and mind.

His hands shook, tremors. His legs felt numb and as if they were asleep. Worse, chemical imbalances in his brain from all the medication affected his short-term memory and sent him spiraling down into a difficult battle with depression.

At one point, in 1993, Hearn sat in their basement with a loaded .357 Magnum with thoughts of quitting on life.

"It's one thing to have the body worn down," Hearn said, "but for me, having the mind and spirit breakdown ... that's the toughest battle of them all."

But soon, Hearn found a better way. First, he took care of himself, and then he started helping others as a keynote motivational/inspirational speaker. Seven years ago, he founded a nonprofit corporation called the Bottom of the Ninth, an organization dedicated to building back the moral fiber of our country.

"It's not about one thing, not even one lifestyle," Hearn said. "It's not about me. It's about the spirit. You're trying to make a difference in life."

In 1996, he authored a book called Conquering Life's Curves. The book mainly consists of letters he wrote to his son, Cody, now 14 years old. Hearn wasn't sure how long he'd last and wanted his son to know everything about him in case he passed away.

But Hearn is still here. He lives with Cody and his wife, Tricia, in Shawnee, Kan., and he's as healthy as he can be -- what he calls status quo. Hearn gives 25 to 30 speeches a year, which raises funds for the nonprofit. Then, there's Hemisphere Entertainment, a Burbank, Calif., movie production company that shows Hearn's story as "a future project" on its Web site.

"My career wasn't a big package," Hearn said, "but my life might be so much more than a baseball career. That was just one inning of my life."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sep. 01, 2008
Moore promises changes as Royals enter another meaningless September
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
It’s September and, once again, the Royals are light-years from playing meaningful games. So what now?

General manager Dayton Moore is as mad as anyone. That was evident last weekend as he sat in the dugout at Comerica Park in Detroit, lips drawn tight, while watching his club work its way through batting practice.

Moore is vowing major roster changes before the club gathers next February for spring training in Surprise, Ariz.

“I’ve made up my mind on this team,” he said. “I’ve got a pretty good idea on where we need to go and what we need to do. I’ve been watching this team for two years now. It’s the same (core) group of guys.”

In short, Moore has seen enough. The current mix of players isn’t working. His solution is to make another major push this winter in the free-agent market while escalating efforts to revamp the roster through trades.

“I’m not saying anything that people don’t know,” Moore said. “Anybody who puts on a uniform or anyone who follows this team every day or makes decisions about player personnel ? we have to get better.

“Ultimately, it’s my responsibility to put the best team we can on the field. That’s what we’re going to do.”

Royals fans heard similar words from Moore’s predecessors, Allard Baird and Herk Robinson, repeatedly for nearly a generation. Promises and pleas for patience.

It’s a harder sell this time because the Royals, with a club-record payroll, were expected to show improvement ? at least modestly ? from last year’s 93-loss team.

Instead, Labor Day finds them plummeting toward a fifth straight last-place finish in the American League Central. The Royals are 57-79 as they open a three-game series tonight against Oakland at Kauffman Stadium.

They have lost 12 of their last 14 and 19 of their last 23. They are three losses away from clinching a 13th losing season since 1995. They must win 16 of their remaining 26 games just to avoid losing 90 games for the eighth time in nine years.

They are an absolute mess with no apparent strength.

The Royals rank 13th among the 14 AL teams in runs and on-base percentage; and last in homers and walks. They rank 12th in ERA. Five AL teams have made more errors, but the Royals are charging toward the bottom with 24 in their last 23 games.

“There have been times, there have been games, when it’s been very frustrating,” Moore said. “But I’m not going to make excuses for anything that we do. I’m not going to say, ‘Well, they’re young. They’re just inexperienced.’ I’m not making any excuses.”

Catcher Miguel Olivo’s outburst last week hints at a disconnect between the players and first-year manager Trey Hillman. Grumbles are common in every clubhouse, especially when the rot of losing sets in, but increasingly sloppy play and lack of focus demand accountability.

It is here that Moore makes his stand. Ask whether Hillman is the right guy to lead the Royals back to respectability, and the answer is sharp and immediate.

“No question,” Moore said. “I can’t think of a better person who would have been ? and remains ? as committed to what we’re trying to do here. He has sold out on what we’re trying to do here.”

That suggests the only way that Hillman doesn’t return for the second season of his three-year contract is if Moore is ordered to make a change. That isn’t likely given the promise of autonomy Moore received from the Glass family when hired in May 2006.

Owner David Glass shows no inclination, at this point, to alter the arrangement.

“If you’re asking me whether I have confidence in (Moore), I sure do,” Glass said. “… He gets as frustrated as the rest of us, but he doesn’t get discouraged. He knows that it’s his responsibility to fix it, and he knows that it can be fixed.”

Moore hedges when asked for specific changes, though he confirms the Royals will actively seek help in the free-agent market. The top targets are a run-production bat that can play a corner position, a proven middle infielder and another starting pitcher.

The marquee names, such as CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira, are likely to be beyond the Royals’ reach, but Moore appears to have sufficient spendable payroll to pursue reliable veterans such as Raul Ibanez and Rafael Furcal.

Thinning the current roster presents an interesting challenge in part because the organization possesses few top prospects above Class A level.

“You think some of these guys would be here this year if there was somebody at (Class AAA) Omaha ready to take their job?” one club official said. “You think we’d be seeing some of the stuff we’re seeing?”

Seven players are under contract for next season ? eight if Olivo and the club make amends and both sides choose to accept a mutual option.

The others are pitchers Gil Meche ($11 million), Ron Mahay ($4 million), Yasuhiko Yabuta ($3 million) and Joakim Soria ($1 million), first baseman Ross Gload ($1.9 million) and outfielders Jose Guillen ($12 million) and David DeJesus ($3.6 million).

Olivo’s mutual option is for $2.7 million.

The crunch comes in arbitration, where at least 10 players appear likely to qualify: John Bale, Brian Bannister, John Buck, Kyle Davies, Joey Gathright, Esteban German, Jimmy Gobble, Zack Greinke, Joel Peralta and Mark Teahen.

Bannister, Davies, Gathright and Peralta will be first-time qualifiers, which usually means a spike in salary. The biggest question figures to surround Teahen, whose $2.3375 million salary could jump to $3 million or more.

“Some of our young players ? at times they show that they belong up here,” Moore said. “At other times, they cause you to ask questions. That’s not anything that anybody who’s watched our games doesn’t know.”

The Royals will also gauge the trade market for Guillen and weigh it against his production ? a disappointment this season despite his club-leading 18 homers and 81 RBIs ? and penchant for creating distractions.

Officials with other clubs say the Royals appear open to trading anyone except Meche and Soria, though the price for Greinke effectively takes him off the market, too.

“This thing has been broken for a long time,” Moore said. “Let’s remember that, OK? But one thing I know, as sure as I’m sitting here, is we’re going to get this thing right.

“I’m very committed to doing that. Whatever we’ve got to do to get this right, we’re going to get this right.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I might just bump this up to the top, so that my prescient predictions about the Royals can be enjoyed by everryone.

And the cardinals record against the Royals this year. Royals won four games, cardinals won two. Nothing positive about that for cardinal fans. You got swept at home by the Royals

But I am sure you have some execuse.

Neither team is worth a crap this year. Welcome to the not making the playoffs group.
This post was edited on 9/12 10:21 PM by TUMU

uh, there is not a lengthy thread about how great the Cards will be this year. See, we are used to success, so we know better than to pump up the Cards in a year where they would not be expected to contend. But nice try to deflect back to the Cards -- at least they are above .500.

Sweet September shows some hope for Royals
By JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star
Baseball people say that you should never, ever judge baseball in September. They say that because September is a quirky baseball month. You have teams clawing for playoff spots and teams that have packed it in. You have young players fighting for roster spots, and old players playing for good contracts and tired players setting up golf reservations and making vacation plans.

So, those baseball people would say not to get too excited about the Royals’ 18-8 month of September, their best month of baseball since their miraculous start in 2003.

But . . . I can’t help it. This was a great baseball month.

The reason this was such a great month is that it turned the 2008 season into a positive year. Most people understood coming into this season that the Royals were probably not going to the World Series. They were probably not going to be in real contention come September. They were probably not even going to finish .500.

But the hope was that the Royals ? with a new manager and some young players ? would take a step forward. The Royals came into 2008 without much starting pitching, with a promising but still unknown closer and with a lineup filled with talented but unproven young hitters. The hope was that at the end of the year, the picture would look a lot clearer.

And, after an excellent September, the picture does look a lot clearer. The Royals won 75 games, which isn’t ticket-tape parade stuff but is marked improvement from last year. The Royals now have a real nucleus of starting pitching. The Royals’ lineup shows signs of promise. Things are hopeful for, oh, let’s say 10 reasons:

?1. Joakim Soria at the tender age of 24 had a dominant season as a closer. I mean dominant. Soria’s final numbers include 42 saves, a 1.60 ERA and ? this is amazing ? just 39 hits allowed. You may wonder how many pitchers have saved more than 40 games while allowing fewer than 40 hits. The answer is now seven. And none of the other six was nearly as young as Soria.

?2. Zack Greinke started to live up to his awesome potential. His numbers were very good: 13-10 record, 3.47 ERA (sixth in the league), 183 strikeouts (tied for fifth in the league with teammate Gil Meche and the most for a Royals’ starter since 1996). But even more than the numbers was the consistency ? his ERA only topped 4.00 twice all year ? and the dominant way he finished. One baseball executive called seven innings of shutout ball against Seattle recently, “as good as I’ve seen anyone all year.” He too is only 24, and it seems like his toughest times are behind him.

?3. Gil Meche is emerging as a team leader. Not only was he dominant after a sluggish beginning (he was 11-3 with a 3.09 ERA and almost a strikeout per inning in his last 21 starts), but Meche seems to be embracing his place as the staff leader. There were snickers all around baseball when the Royals paid Gil Meche $55 million for five years, but I suspect there are a number of teams around baseball who would pay a lot more than that for Gil Meche now.

?4. Something seemed to click for starter Kyle Davies. Yes, it’s dangerous to judge a player in September, but Davies did go 4-1 with a 2.27 ERA his last five starts, and his stuff looked much sharper. Davies just turned 25, and he’s always had talent. If he can settle in as a solid pitcher, the Royals have a nucleus for a darned good young rotation (especially because I think Brian Bannister will rebound after a tough year).

?5. Mike Aviles had a terrific rookie year. Don’t let anybody kid you ? nobody saw this coming. Aviles signed with the Royals for $1,000 way back in 2003, and he moved slowly through the minor leagues (he will be 28 in March). But the Royals did like his passion and toughness. When Tony Pena struggled, Aviles was called up, he sat on the bench for a week, and then he just flat hit. He finished the year hitting .325 with some power, and he played a surprisingly good shortstop. He’s probably the Royals’ player of the year, and he’s a big part of the team’s future, whether at shortstop or second base.

?6. Alex Gordon started getting comfortable in the big leagues. He had his struggles, no doubt this year, but he walked a whole lot in the second half ? he had an outstanding .399 on-base percentage after the All-Star Game ? and many scouts believe that once a young hitter gains command of the strike zone, it’s a short step to some big power numbers. Gordon could have a breakout year in 2009.

?7. Billy Butler also came on after the All-Star break. Butler is so young ? he won’t be 23 until after opening day next year ? and he struggled to deal with all the expectations. He was sent down to the minor leagues for a while. But he seemed to handle it all well, and he hit .306 after the All-Star break and also began to show signs of power. To give you an idea, Butler became only the third 22-year-old Royals player to hit more than 10 home runs in a season. The first two were George Brett and Carlos Beltran.

?8. Mark Teahen had a terrific September. I suspect everyone roots for Teahen. How can you not? He’s a class act, a loyal guy and the ultimate team player. Whatever the Royals have asked ? play third base, play outfield, play first base, hit up in the lineup, hit low in the lineup ? the guy tries his best. He struggled most of the year, and it made some baseball people think that maybe it will never happen for him. But in his last 27 games, Teahen hit .315 with five homers. That offers some hope.

?9. Royals general manager Dayton Moore seems to have a knack at building a bullpen. He brought in Ramon Ramirez, Ron Mahay and Robinson Tejeda, and all of them pitched quite well. Ramirez in particular is only 26 and could be an outstanding setup man.

?10. By the end of the year, Royals manager Trey Hillman seemed to feel a lot more comfortable in his job. There were undoubtedly some rough times this season for Hillman ? hey, anytime you have Jose Guillen around, you will face some challenges ? but he managed through those, and it was a very good sign that his team was playing hard and with confidence at the end of the year. Here’s hoping that in his second year he will loosen up a bit, let some people in, and let out his personality a bit more. Why not? He’s a good baseball man. And he’s got a pretty exciting young team to work with. Things are looking up.

The Good, Bad and Ugly Over 40 Years

for 40 Royals seasons
BY SAM MELLINGER | THE KANSAS CITY STAR

1969 The Royals’ first season includes 6,805 season tickets sold, then an all-time American League record.

1970 Frank White is signed and enters the Royals Academy, Cookie Rojas and Freddie Patek come over in separate trades, Amos Otis makes his Royals debut, and Paul Splittorff pitches in the big leagues for the first time.

1971 Dick Drago wins 17 games, and Otis leads the team with 15 homers and 79 RBIs as the Royals post a winning record (85-76) in just their third season. That was the fastest expansion team to become a winner until the Arizona Diamondbacks did it in their second year.

1972 John Mayberry finishes second in the AL with 100 RBIs as the Royals lead the league in hits, walks, batting average and on-base percentage.

1973 The Royals play their first game at Kauffman Stadium, and Frank White and George Brett play their first of 1,914 games together ? setting a record.

1974 Kansas City native Frank White is occasionally booed at home in his first full season in the big leagues. He’ll win eight Gold Gloves at second base, so the booing stops soon enough.

1975 George Brett, 22, hits .308 in his second big-league season ? the first time he hit above .300 as a professional. His Topps card from that year is now worth about $100.

1976The emergence is complete as the Royals win the first of three consecutive division titles and become one of the dominant franchises in the American League. They lose to the Yankees each year in the ALCS, setting off one of the best rivalries in baseball.

1977Dennis Leonard wins 20, and the Royals lead the AL in doubles (299), triples (77) and wins (102). They lose to the Yankees in the ALCS, but many still think this is the best team in franchise history. This is also the year Yankee utility player Cliff Johnson tries to start a fight and is told by Hal McRae, “I don’t fight extra men.”

1978 Royals draw 2,255,493 fans, their first season over 2 million. Only the Yankees and Red Sox draw more fans.

1979 Royals select Dan Marino and John Elway in the amateur draft. Other selections have included Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson. “They’ve done a better job drafting football players than the Chiefs,” one scout has joked.

1980 The Year of the George. Brett is batting over .400 on Sept. 19 and finishes at .390 and the AL MVP Award. That year in the playoffs, he yanks a 98-mph fastball from Goose Gossage ? he was so quick on the pitch that Howard Cosell thought Gossage took something off ? into the upper deck in the ALCS before the Royals lose in the World Series.

1981 Dick Howser replaces Jim Frey as manager, and the Royals make the postseason for the fifth time in six seasons.

1982 George Brett signs a five-year, $5 million contract, becoming the first Royal with a seven-figure salary.

1983 Dan Quisenberry pitches 139 innings and saves 45 games. Nobody has ever matched those numbers since the save became an official statistic. This is also the year of the Pine Tar Game.

1984 Bret Saberhagen, Charlie Leibrandt, Mark Gubicza and Steve Balboni all make their Royals debuts.

1985 Darryl Motley catches the last out of the World Series and is thought to still have the ball, awaiting an offer. An estimated 300,000 people attend the parade as Cardinals fans learn to hate the word “Denkinger.”

1986After his introductory news conference, Bo Jackson picks up a bat for the first time in months and immediately hits two batting-practice home runs off the base of the scoreboard. Later that summer, his first big-league homer goes 475 feet, which is still the longest in stadium history.

1987 Royals are last in runs, second in ERA and finish two games behind the Twins. Kevin Seitzer has six hits in a game and ties Kirby Puckett for most in baseball with 207. He makes the All-Star Game and finishes second to Mark McGwire in Rookie of the Year voting.

1988 George Brett’s $2.3 million salary is the most in baseball as he makes his last All-Star Game. Mark Gubicza has his career year: 20 wins, a franchise record with 14 strikeouts in a game, and finishes third in Cy Young voting.

1989 Bo Jackson homers and steals a base in the All-Star Game and makes The Throw to nail Harold Reynolds at the Kingdome. The Royals’ 92 wins are the third most in baseball, and they draw a franchise record 2,477,700 fans but fail to make the playoffs.

1990 The Royals’ $23.9 million payroll is the highest in baseball. Brett’s $1.8 million salary is just the fourth highest on the team, behind Bob Boone, Mark Gubicza and eventual free-agent flop Mark Davis.

1991 Hal McRae is hired as manager, and when he puts his son Brian’s name in the lineup, it’s just the fourth time in big-league history that a father has managed his son. This is Herk Robinson’s first season as GM, taking over for John Schuerholz.

1992 Royals hitters produce the fewest homers in the American League, while their pitchers give up the most.

1993 George Brett collects his 3,000th career hit in Anaheim and is picked off first base two batters later. This is also the first season the stadium is officially named Kauffman Stadium, and the year Brian McRae charges the Rangers’ dugout after being plunked.

1994 Royals win 15 of their last 19, pulling within four games before the strike. Some still insist they’d have won the division. Hal McRae is fired, which then-GM Herk Robinson has since called “my biggest regret.”

1995 Kauffman Stadium’s oppressively hot artificial turf is replaced with natural grass, which is good, and the fences are brought in 10 feet, which is not as good. The Royals are outhomered by 23 in their first of eight consecutive losing seasons.

1996 Mike Sweeney, a 22-year-old catching prospect, hits his first big-league home run five years after being drafted in the 10th round. This is also the year Johnny Damon and Joe Randa play their first full seasons in the major leagues as the payroll sinks to $18.5 million, the second-lowest in baseball.

1997 The board running the Royals declines the opportunity to move to the National League. At the time, they cite an overwhelming sentiment among the fan base to stay with the city’s AL roots. A decade later, many fans will look at this as a mistake.

1998 Jeff Austin and Matt Burch are selected in the first round of the draft. Other first-round picks in the last decade include Dan Reichert, Dee Brown, Juan Lebron, Matt Smith, Jeff Granger, Jim Pittsley and Joe Vitiello.

1999The Royals bring in 37-year-old pro softball pitcher Mike Piechnik for what amounted to a tryout. “It’s a balk,” then-GM Allard Baird said.

2000 David Glass’ purchase of the Royals for $96 million is finally approved. As part of the deal, any profit Glass makes on eventually selling the team must go to charity. On the field, the Royals score 879 runs, the most in franchise history and good for fifth in the league.

2001 Mark Quinn’s first walk in 192 plate appearances draws fireworks at Kauffman Stadium, Jermaine Dye is traded for Neifi Perez and, um, let’s just move on.

2002 An eight-game losing streak in June drops the Royals’ all-time franchise record to below .500 for the first time since 1977. Nice of the team to prepare fans for another disappointment later that summer: the franchise’s first 100-loss season.

2003 Angel Berroa wins Rookie of the Year, Tony Pena’s bizarre managerial style works, and the Royals spend 92 days in first place. “They’re not a fluke,” Joe Torre said, so maybe he isn’t the genius he’s made out to be.

2004 Eduardo Villacis is called up from Class AA Wichita to start in Yankee Stadium, a sign to many of the players that the front office had given up. Later that summer, Carlos Beltran is traded.

2005 Mike Sweeney hits .300 with 21 homers and 83 RBIs, making the All-Star team. It’s his last productive season before the injuries really pile up. In the coming years, he’ll be booed as the highest-paid player and face of an overmatched franchise.

2006 Royals turn losing into an art form, rolling out streaks of 13, 11, eight, six and five (twice) losses in a row. They lose 100 games for the third consecutive year. Their hitters finish last in homers. Not to be outdone, their pitchers finish last in ERA, home runs, shutouts, hits, walks and strikeouts.

2007 Royals lose 93 games in the first full season under GM Dayton Moore, which is actually a seven-game improvement and the first time since 2003 the team didn’t lose at least 100. There is no parade.

2008 Trey Hillman’s first season as manager is marked by Mike Aviles’ emergence, Jose Guillen’s controversies and a September surge.

Just thought I would bump the greatest thread on this site back to its rightful place at the top.

Nothing too surprising about this season to me - except maybe having their first decent September in a LONG time. I had a season long bet with a buddy that we wouldn't lose 90 games. We finished right there. Pitching was a little better than I thought (barring Bannister's mid-season meltdown) and the young hitters didn't progress as much as I hoped.

My biggest frustration is that the club still won't take a walk. My biggest point of encouragement is that at least Gordon started to in the second half. And walks almost ALWAYS come just before power.

Hopefully we don't do anything as stupid as Guillen this off-season. Lots of talks about big trades. It will be interesting to see what happens. But above all: SIGN GRIENKE TO A LONG TERM DEAL!!! SIGN HIM YESTERDAY!!! That's all that matters this off-season.

Only four and a half months until pitchers and catchers report!!!

Looks as if Dayton Moore is backing up those promises of major offseason changes. Less than 24 hours after the end of the World Series the unofficial start of baseballs hot stove time the Royals completed a long-rumored deal that brings left-handed slugger Mike Jacobs from Florida for reliever Leo Nunez.

Mike Jacobs was acquired by the Florida Marlins in a trade with the New York Mets in 2005 for Carlos Delgado. Last season, Jacobs had 32 home runs and 93 RBIs.

Yeah, but how many .240-hitting first basemen do the Royals need? They've already got three or four.

04/08 7:32 PM EST

Uhlich chats with Royals fans
Senior VP of business operations discusses renovations
By / MLB.com

Royals senior vice president of business operations Kevin Uhlich fielded questions from fans Tuesday during a Royals Relay Chat about the progress of the renovations at "The K" and the upcoming 2009 Royals FanFest.
Kevin Uhlich: Hello everyone. Thank you for participating in the chat today. I look forward to answering all of your questions.

bjdein: In 2008, the new HD video board was awe inspiring for all the fans who visited The K. What aspect of the renovations do you anticipate will be the most impressive feature to the fans in 2009?

Uhlich: We're most excited about the amenities which fans will find in the outfield and the View Level. The Outfield Experience will be second to none in baseball with all the interactive games and experiences for fans of all ages. The View Level, with a complete overhaul, will not even resemble the experience of last year with the additional concessions, restrooms, merchandise store and concourse space.

bjdein: What is planned in terms of a re-opening celebration? And when can we expect another renovations album to be posted?

Uhlich: Next year is a very special year, with not only the grand re-opening of The K but also the 40th anniversary season. Plans are currently under way to incorporate both of these milestones in Royals history and it should be a very exciting season. We are planning another round of photography to take place over the next week, and we will share those photos on royals.com as soon as we are able to put them together.

co-dizzle: I am so excited for Opening Day next year and I love the renovations. However, I would have loved to see the fences moved in a bit -- helps the team out and allows for more seating. Why was that not part of the renovations?

Uhlich: Thank you for your excitement regarding the renovations, but as for the relocation of the fences, we decided to keep them in their current locations after many conversations with [GM Dayton Moore] and the baseball operations group. We are very comfortable in building our ballclub around our current dimensions, and so the decision was made to stay where we are. Remember, moving fences in works for the visiting team as well as the home team.

josh_frost: Will the new K bring any more attention to Kansas City in the baseball world? All-Star Games, maybe?

Uhlich: We believe that the renovation will make national news after our grand re-opening and the media from around the country get a chance to experience firsthand. This is more than just a renovation, it is truly building a new stadium around an existing seating bowl. It will be very difficult for even our most longtime fans to recognize any part of the old stadium being carried over into the new. As for the All-Star Game, we are in continual communication with the Commissioner and we believe we will be selected.

holiestcow: What qualifies as a success next season at The K? Is it fan reaction, attendance goals, player preference or something else?

Uhlich: All of the points you raise are a good barometer for us to measure the success of the renovation. If I personally had to pick one, it would have to be the fan reaction, because in the end that is what our game is about. I know how special Kauffman Stadium is to our existing fan base, and we will be extremely happy if our fans feel that we only added positively to the game experience.

irish05: Will any new concessions be offered throughout the ballpark?

Uhlich: We are currently in talks with numerous branded food providers which are nationally known, and so I would say that by Opening Day our fans will find some new branded concepts. We have also changed our food service provider from Centerplate to Aramark, and we are excited to be working with such a highly acclaimed food service provider. We are confident that their expertise will allow us to provide great quality and service to our fans next season.

bduck08: What new types of features will the crown on the scoreboard have?

Uhlich: This is a good question, and we had many meetings to discuss what the new crown should look like. In the end, we decided to keep it in a more simple state so that it does not conflict with everything we have going on with the new video board. It will be impressive, as it stands almost three stories high and the only lighting which we are installing will be incorporated into the four balls at the top of the crown. We are planning on using the platform located on the roof of the video board to shoot fireworks from, and the video board and crown will continue to be the most dominant icon for Kauffman Stadium.

steven5000: Any word on what the restaurant inside The K will be called?

Uhlich: The restaurant will be named Rivals and will be your classical sports bar. Inside the restaurant, fans can watch numerous flat-screen monitors, one being as large as 93 inches, of not only our game but other Major League games going on around the country. The food will consist of big burgers, chicken sandwiches, buffalo wings etc. The most unique part of the restaurant will be the large open-air party deck on the roof, which will be available for groups to book in advance.

co-dizzle: As far as the standing-room-only in right-field goes, will tickets only be available to buy at the game or can we buy them in advance?

Uhlich: Our current thinking is that the standing-room area located behind the right-field fence will be open to any fan during the event who wants to enjoy it without having to purchase any additional tickets. The only time that we traditionally sell standing-room tickets will be once we have sold out all of our seating inventory. Our hope is that all fans will enjoy the 360-degree walk around the Plaza Level and spend a moment in the standing-room platforms to enjoy the view from the outfield.

JTROYALS: Kevin, thanks for the great work. Please tell us what to expect in this year's FanFest. Will there be a question-and-answer session with the baseball operations department?

Uhlich: We will once again be holding FanFest on Saturday, Jan. 17, and Sunday, Jan. 18, at the Overland Park Convention Center. However, this year, we have expanded beyond the exhibit halls to the entire top floor of the facility. We have already announced the return of the annual Baseball Awards Dinner, which will take place Friday, Jan. 16, at the Sheraton Hotel connected to the Overland Park Convention Center. Please check for updated details on royals.com.

dennyfan: Will the Royals Hall of Fame in left field be complete by the home opener? If not, when can we expect it to be open and what are some of the main exhibits we can expect to see?

Uhlich: Unfortunately, the only piece of the renovation which will not be open on Opening Day will be the upper level of the Hall of Fame. This 7,000 square-foot interactive museum is under design, and baseball fans will truly enjoy the experience once complete. Our expected completion should be around July 1, but we are trying to move that earlier if at all possible. The museum has a dugout theater showing an eight-minute movie of the history of baseball in Kansas City, a timeline of exhibits telling the Royals story and a wing that will be dedicated to George Brett, Frank White, the 1985 World Series, and our current Hall of Fame inductees.

royalsmh: Do you know when you will be installing the new crown?

Uhlich: We expect it to be installed in the first two weeks of January.

revive__85: I know the Little K was taken out due to renovations in 2008. Will it return in 2009? Are there any other kid-friendly features being added?

Uhlich: The Little K will return next season in left field. It is slightly larger than the old Little K and we expect to use it more for community events and clinics in the future. It is part of a kids outfield experience which will include two video batting tunnels, one video pitching tunnel, a carousel theme to the Royals, a children's playground, a home-to-first race where you can race our fastest player to home plate, a kids interactive water fountain for those warm summer nights, a five-hole miniature golf course and Sony Playstation Arcade.

steven5000: Will Lot A be fully open in 2009, or is it still used for construction for both stadiums?

Uhlich: Unfortunately, a portion of Lot A will still be used by the construction companies as they close out their punch list during the summer. We will try to reduce their space as much as possible, but fans will still see some trailers through the end of the season. We are planning on having all of the parking lots surrounding our stadium resurfaced prior to Opening Day.

bjdein: What sort of pricing can we expect for the new seating areas (fountain seats, etc)?

Uhlich: We are very sensitive to the economic times we are in and we have made the best decisions we thought possible to offer a wide variety of seat locations and amenities for our fans. The Outfield Fountain Pavilion Seats will be sold on game day only and will be a reserved general-admission seat for $7.

i70ws: How much extra seating will "The K" have for Opening Day?

Uhlich: The capacity prior to renovation was around 41,000 and it will be smaller once the renovation is complete. Our goal was to have approximately 39,000 seats, and we are very close to achieving that number.

Uhlich: Thanks for all the great questions. I have time for just a few more.

bjdein: Can we expect to see more screens like the one that lined the left-field fence next year? If so, where, and what about the scoreboards on the concourses behind first and third base?

Uhlich: We are installing a video board in the right-field wall that will be a mirror image to the one we had last season in left field. In addition, we will be installing new LED ribbon boards on the facia of the Loge Level from Press Box to foul pole on both the first- and third-base lines. In addition, we are also installing new LED ribbon boards on the faces of the Hall of Fame building and Rivals Sportsbar building.

scottjhawk: Can you tell us more about the Diamond Seats and Diamond Boxes as well as the Diamond Club?

Uhlich: The Diamond Club is located directly behind home plate and will offer food and beverage in a club atmosphere in an air-conditioned environment. On beautiful evenings we have the ability to retract the glass panels on the field side so that fans can enjoy the sounds of the ballpark. Fans using this space can either have waiter/waitress service to not only their seats in the seating bowl but to the terraced-dining platforms located inside the club. The exterior seats below the cross aisle will sell for $55 and will have a fully padded seat bottom. The Diamond Club Boxes located above the cross aisle will have a patio feel complete with a drink rail and custom teak padded chairs. The Diamond Club Box Seats sell for $70, which includes $20 of value loaded into the ticket and can be redeemed at any concession or merchandise location within Kauffman Stadium and used the same as cash.

bduck08: With all the renovations going on the I-70 side of the stadium, will drivers still be able to see the field from the interstate?

Uhlich: It will be a little bit more difficult because of the outfield canopy, which is being installed over all of the concession and restroom buildings. The new Crown Vision video board has not helped retain those view corridors, either. Fans still will have some sightlines. However, it probably will not be as open as it was prior to the construction.

steven5000: Have you borrowed any renovation ideas directly from any other ballparks, or was the goal to be unique?

Uhlich: While you will see concepts here that will resemble concepts in other parks, our goal was always to try and enhance those concepts and take them to a higher level. Case in point the Diamond Club. The Diamond Club was first used in the Anaheim renovation in 1998, and there are teams that have tried to incorporate that concept into their new ballparks since then. The drawback in Anaheim was that the restaurant was on one level and views from inside the restaurant were compromised. In our Diamond Club concept, the entire club is terraced, offering the very best views from every table in the club.

lgroyal: How many games will be shown on FOX Sports-KC next season?

Uhlich: At a minimum, you will see 140 regular-season games broadcast on FOX-Kansas City, with two exhibition games from Spring Training. Our goal with FOX is to grow the amount of high-definition broadcasts. With last year as our baseline with 88 games and while we do not have an exact number for 2009, we would expect it to be more than last season.

Uhlich: Thank you to everyone for submitting your questions. This a very exciting time for our ballclub both on and off the field, and we look forward to an exciting 2009. We hope that you will have a chance to experience it in person next season.

Not enough Mexican food in KC
This post was edited on 12/10 11:07 PM by TUMU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT