ADVERTISEMENT

⚾ KC Royals Royals winning more championships

Do the Royals have the money to pursue free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal?

If GM Dayton Moore can find somebody to take Guillen, then no problem. Otherwise, it’s a tough sell even if Furcal agrees to backload a substantial portion of any contract. The Royals are already $5 million or more over budget, assuming nothing derails their tentative two-year deal with reliever Kyle Farnsworth. Even so, the Royals under Moore are gaining a tenacious reputation in the free-agent market. They seldom get outbid these days when they make a serious run at a player. Club officials believe Furcal could be a difference-maker. So don’t be surprised if Moore finds a way.

Blah, Blah...we have Cardinals envy. George Brett is not coming back and David Glass owns your team...'nough said

Royals win 2008 six game series, four games to two.

Looks like Furcal back to the Braves. Who's the next shortstop we go after? Greg Gagne? Kurt Stilwell? Patek? Biancalana? Maybe Greg Pryor?

Originally posted by TUMU:

Oh, how touching -- the Royals highlight for 2008. October 2006 -- enough said.

Originally posted by NO-Orange:

Originally posted by TUMU:

Oh, how touching -- the Royals highlight for 2008. October 2006 -- enough said.

Good to know you were touched by the Royals success against the cardinals.

I find it weird that DC is so giddy, he's touching himself.
shock.gif

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
I find it weird that DC is so giddy, he's touching himself.
shock.gif

You should try it -- it feels good and is WAAAAAYYYYYY less than buying someone dinner.
smilie2.gif

This thread has dates but they do not include the year. Who would have thought they would have needed the year.

Go Cubs!

I am pleased with the team Dayton and Glass are building. We will continue to improve again this year and contend for the division title very soon.

Posted on Mon, Jan. 26, 2009
Greinke deal is huge for many reasons
By JOE POSNANSKI
The Kansas City Star
Remember how you feel today ? because today, this is great news. Today, the Royals seem to have kicked the dust off their crummy recent past, they have exorcised the ghosts of Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran, Jermaine Dye and all the other big-money players who got away. They signed Zack Greinke to a long-term deal.

This is a big deal for a lot of reasons, the main one being that Greinke seems to be developing into a terrific young pitcher. He was top 10 in the American League last year in ERA and strikeouts, he threw 200 innings for the first time, and he was pretty much unhittable his last 11 starts (6-3, 2.34 ERA, 69 strikeouts in 69 innings). He’s 25 years old.

This is also a big deal because Zack Greinke believes in the future of the Royals. In the past, players have said what, on the surface, sounds like positive words about Kansas City, but not quite. They always say they would be “willing” to stay in Kansas City, or they “have not ruled out” Kansas City or “they have enjoyed their time” in Kansas City. All of which means, “I’m out of here as soon as the free-agency papers come in.”

Greinke stayed. True, he got paid a lot of money ? he will get $13.5 million each of his last two years, which will probably be a Royals record ? but if he stays healthy and pitches well, he would have gotten that much money anyway, maybe more. He’s staying because he likes it here, feels loved, and he believes in the team’s direction, which is nice.

But, of course, in Kansas City we know that there is another reason to be excited about this. And it’s simply this: The Royals signed one of their own. Think how many times you have heard or thought this the last 15 years: “OK, so the Royals got a good player. Big deal. He won’t be here long.”

That became the curse of being a Royals fan; you could root for the team, sure, but you better not fall in love with any of the players. You were never quite sure who would be here tomorrow.

The Royals broke that curse on Monday. Owner David Glass reached down deep, and the Royals signed Zack Greinke to a four-year deal. They risked $38 million ? and there is genuine risk. Greinke looks so promising, but last year was the first time he even won 10 games in a season (and he still hasn’t won 15). Greinke looks so promising, but I could name you a bunch of pitchers right off the top of my head who looked hugely promising at 25 but for one reason or another faded ? Mark Prior, Tom Hall, Ismael Valdez, Don Gullett, Steve Avery, Denny McLain, Larry Dierker, Steve Busby, on and on. Some got hurt. Some lost confidence. Great pitching is a delicate thing.

And the point here is not to say any of that will happen to Greinke ? I love this move, and I think he is about to emerge as a star. No, the point is to say he might not emerge. The point is to say that the Royals took a chance here. Nobody knows what will happen in the next week, much less the next four years.

I keep hearing people talk about how excited they will be if the Chiefs hire Arizona’s offensive coordinator Todd Haley as the new head coach. And that might be great. Haley certainly seems like a bright young coach. But I wonder if people will be just as excited about Haley on Monday should the Steelers beat the Cardinals 44-3 and hold Haley’s Cardinals to 112 yards of total offense.

Right. When circumstances change, opinions change. I remember a few years ago, when the Cincinnati Bengals made the bold move of trading up to the first overall pick so they could take Penn State running back Ki-Jana Carter. It was a beautiful move ? the Bengals were an absolute joke of a franchise then, they needed something big to happen, and they went out and tried to make their destiny by taking a running back who was universally believed to be a future NFL star. People around football applauded.

And what happened? Ki-Jana Carter blew out his knee on the third carry in the preseason, and he was never the same. After that, the Ki-Jana Carter pick became just another Cincinnati blunder that everyone laughed about.

So, remember how you feel today, after the Royals put it all on the line to sign Zack Greinke. This is what a team like the Royals has to do to win. They have to take chances. And they have to be right. The Royals signed their best young pitcher since Kevin Appier. They signed a guy with great stuff and, more, a guy who has been through a whole lot.

Greinke came up at age 20 and looked like a pitching prodigy. At 21, he suffered through one of the worst seasons any pitcher has ever had (5-17, 5.80 ERA). At 22, he walked away from the game for a while to deal with personal issues. At 23, he mostly pitched out of the bullpen. And at 24, he had his breakout season.

And the Royals believe ? I believe this, too ? that he’s about to become a star. He throws in the mid-to-high 90s. He has pinpoint control. He has made it through the rough times and come out stronger. Yes, the Royals signed him, took the chance, and today’s the day to celebrate. Now, the Royals just have to hope they are right.

Orlando Hudson wants to play for the Royals, and would play in KC for less than he would in LA (who really wants him).

who cares about orlando hudson...this is the thread from hell...it may never die...

uzi.gif
nuke the royals

Post # 300 in the thread, someone had to do it.

Anyone else going to Home Opener this year? Friday afternoon, April 10th against the Yankees. We swept the Yankees last year in opening series.

I don't think they have made a decision yet. I think Meche.

Another sign that Gil Meche is embracing his role as the Royals' staff leader: He is no longer ambivalent toward the honor of starting the season opener April 6 against the White Sox in Chicago. Meche started the last two openers but tended to downplay it. "When I got here (in 2007)," he said, "I said, 'It really doesn't matter to me if I'm the ace or the fifth guy. We're all going to pitch.' "The way I look at pitching is as a starter, whenever you go out and pitch, you have to feel you're the ace of the team. That's just the mind-set you should have when you pitch.'" Meche still feels that way. But make no mistake, he now wants the ball on opening day. "Yeah, I do," he said. "It's been fun the last two years." Manager Trey Hillman hasn't yet identified a starter for the opener, but the only likely alternative to Meche is Zack Greinke. -- KC Star

Memories fill Kauffman Stadium
Ballpark has been site of greatest triumphs in Royals history
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- In all of Kauffman Stadium's 36 years, nothing could match the pinnacle achievement of Oct. 27, 1985, when the Royals won their first and only World Series.
Bret Saberhagen pitched a shutout, the Royals punched up 11 runs, and the place went crazy. Those invaders from across the state, the St. Louis Cardinals, were toast.

"It's my fondest memory of that stadium, by far," said George Brett, who leaped onto Saberhagen after the final out.

"Prior to that, it was winning the first division in '76. Maybe another one would be the first [home] game of the World Series in '80. But I never felt anything like winning the last game of the season at home, and it was for the World Series with 40,000 people in the stands sharing that moment with you. It was really special."

Of course, that was preceded the night before by one of the most controversial umpiring calls in the game's history. A safe call at first base by Don Denkinger ignited a Royals comeback victory that evened the Series at three games each.

Oh, that's what those fans meant when they unveiled that banner in the stands that read: "The Fat Lady Isn't Singing Yet."

The place was still known as Royals Stadium back then -- owner Ewing Kauffman wasn't convinced to lend his name to it until 1993 -- and had been the site of just one other World Series. In 1980, the Royals lost their first Series to the Philadelphia Phillies but, at Kansas City, they won two of the three games over Pete Rose & Co. In fact, they won their first Series game on Oct. 17 in the 10th inning when Willie Wilson walked, stole second and scored on Willie Aikens' single.

It was in that third game that Brett, who'd suffered from hemorrhoids during the first two games at Philly, blasted a first-inning home run. Afterward, to the assembled media at Royals Stadium, Brett grinned and cracked: "My problems are all behind me."

Of course, that World Series came only after the Royals finally -- finally -- beat the rival New York Yankees in the American League playoffs. It was a three-game sweep. The first two wins came at KC, but the clincher came at Yankee Stadium.

In three playoff losses to New York from 1976-78, just one ended at Royals Stadium. That was in '77, the year many believe the Royals had their best team in history, when the Yankees rallied with three runs in the ninth to win, 5-3.

It was Kansas City's division clinching in 1976 that prompted one of the happiest episodes in stadium history. When the place opened in '73, second baseman Cookie Rojas vowed that when the Royals won their first title he'd jump into the water display in right field.

When the Royals celebrated, Rojas and shortstop Freddie Patek stripped to the waist and headed for the fountains. But, wait! Weren't those lights in the water run by electricity? Did the club want the middle of the infield taking a chance on getting fried in a cauldron? Quick-thinking PR director Dean Vogelaar managed to get the juice turned off before the players plunged in for their swim. Patek sauntered back to the clubhouse with wet pants and an umbrella.

Hall of Famer Brett had many great moments, but one of the most shining came on Aug. 17, 1980, as he tried to become the first .400 hitter since Ted Williams. When he doubled off Mike Barlow in a 4-for-4 day against the Blue Jays, he reached .401 and doffed his helmet at second base to the roaring crowd.

"It was another game in August. We had a [14-game] lead and it was just a matter of time when we clinched the division," Brett recalled.

"The average was .399 when I got up. Dukey [John Wathan] was hitting ahead of me, and Duke walked and brought me up with two outs in the eighth inning. I hit a double to put me over the .400 mark. I didn't think the reaction would be that big but, standing out on second base, all of a sudden it was just unbelievable. I think there were 30,000 people at the game on Sunday and it was wild. It was one of the goose-bump feelings up your arm. You normally don't get goose bumps during a game. You might get 'em when you get back to the dugout or something, but here I am standing on second base and I've got goose bumps. That's how the ovation was, it was a cool moment."

He would finish at .390 in the biggest hitting season the stadium has seen.

When Brett announced his retirement in 1993, he was feted after his final home game and, in a moment of inspiration, famously knelt down and kissed home plate.

Some background from Brett: Ex-Yankees great and KC resident Hank Bauer would play in broadcaster Fred White's benefit golf tournament, have a cocktail and playfully growl at the other players, to wit: "Jamie Quirk, you should kiss home plate every time you get to the ballpark. You can't play." To which the amused Quirk would reply something on order of, "Yeah, I know, but don't tell anybody."

It was a running joke and, as Brett was circling the stadium in a golf cart saluting the fans after the game, Bauer's gravelly voice came back to him.

"I heard Hank Bauer's voice saying, 'You've got to kiss home plate every time you come to the ballpark,'" Brett said. "All of a sudden, I told the guy to stop the cart and I got off and kissed home plate. It was a fitting thing to do because I was grateful for the opportunity not only to be a Major League baseball player, but very fortunate to play in a great city like Kansas City."

Brett's 3,000th hit came at Anaheim, Calif., but Kansas City fans did get to see Paul Molitor record his milestone hit for Minnesota on Sept. 16, 1996. Molitor, facing Jose Rosado, dropped a drive between center fielder Rod Myers and right fielder Jon Nunnally for a triple -- the first batter to get a triple for No. 3,000.

There have been three no-hitters at the stadium -- the first by the Angels' Nolan Ryan on May 15, 1973. It was also the first of seven thrown by the Ryan Express. Oddly enough, Royals manager Jack McKeon protested the game in the third inning, claiming that Ryan was lifting his foot too soon and illegally breaking contract with the rubber. The claim was ignored.

The other two no-hitters were by the Royals -- Jim Colborn on May 14, 1977, against the Rangers, and Bret Saberhagen on Aug. 26, 1991, against the White Sox. Saberhagen's was controversial because left fielder Kirk Gibson missed a fifth-inning drive against the wall and the Sox thought they had a hit, but it was ruled an error.

The stadium's first year, 1973, was marked the All-Star Game on July 24. It was the 40th anniversary of the Midsummer Classic, and the National League's 7-1 victory was marked by Johnny Bench's monster home run that's been estimated at 480 feet. It was also the last All-Star appearance for Willie Mays.

In a Royals game, credit for the longest homer goes to Bo Jackson at 475 feet on Sept. 14, 1986, against the Mariners' Mike Moore. It was the first homer of Jackson's career.

The longest day in stadium history came on June 6, 1991, on the anniversary of the real Longest Day, the Allied invasion of France in 1944. In what began as an afternoon game, the Royals and the Rangers labored 18 innings and six hours 28 minutes. Not many of the 38,523 fans who came out for a classic pitching matchup, Saberhagen vs. Ryan, were around when Kansas City won, 4-3, on a wild throw by Texas pitcher Kenny Rogers.

The longest winning streak in Royals history was 16 games, attained at home on Sept. 15, 1977, when Whitey Herzog's team won the second game of a doubleheader against Oakland. Al Cowens led off the 10th inning with a game-ending homer off A's pitcher Doug Bair.

Now the stadium is undergoing a massive renovation with new history to be made in fresh surroundings. Brett envisions a return to the past in the future.

"It said something about the summer that every Thursday, Friday, Saturday night was sold out, it didn't matter who you played," said Brett. "And Sundays we'd get 30,000. I remember weekends in the summertime, you'd leave the ballgame and have to wait an hour to get out of the parking lot. And then you'd get out of the parking lot and you'd see license plates from Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska -- all over the Midwest -- where people would make this their vacation.

"It was a destination, and how great would it be now to be competitive again and to get those people back. It was really a special thing."

Pitching is looking strong... Only 1 earned run over the last 20 innings by the starters. Still can't stand Jose Guillen tho.

There should be a lot of runs scored in the game today. Sir Sidney Ponson vs. Andy "no more HGH" Petite.

Originally posted by Li'l Eric Coley:
I keep forgetting we picked up that fatty Ponson. Maybe he'll go Lima time for us.

I like the idea of having a bonafied Knight on our team, but I don't see him going Lima time for us. Of course I didn't see Jose pulling it off either. I would rather see Hocheaver in there.

"The academy will always be there next year, Luke. I need you to help me work the farm this year."

--Mr. Skywalker

and then.....the yankees came to town....end of story...

uzi.gif
nuke the evil empire

The Royals are making movements all right. That's why they are in the toilet.

3-3 after a series at Chicago and one at home vs. the Yankees is acceptable.

I don't think anyone was expecting Horacio Ramirez (5th starter) to beat the Yankees ace.

If we had a manager who could handle pitchers (for instance, not letting Farnsworth pitch to Thome) we'd be 4-2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT