ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Jones is the Grand Wizard of TU hatred

Re: Pat Jones told Doug Meacham to NOT take the TU job

Notice Pat never got another haead coaching job after osu fired him.

I did catch some of their show today and was please to hear them not able to broadcast their opinions because of technical issue all throughout the TU discussion.

So whoever was in charge of sabotage did a great job!
This post was edited on 12/4 2:05 PM by TU Hurricane Warning

Chadwick also made some good points about recruiting:

1) TU can get anyone in that it wants...really. It's being able to keep them at TU that is the hard part. That has always been the harder part. JUCO's are a little different
2) Chadwick highly doubts that BBs recruiting budget was slashed when he took over. Chadwick says that doesn't make sense.
3) Next coach will likely get some extra concessions about on recruits and perhaps a bump in recruiting budget/assistant salaries. As Chadwick points out, this almost always happens when a new coach agrees to take over. It's one of the proverbial "carrots". Chadwick pointed that out as well as the fact that SMU just hired Chad Morris and TU always tries to compare itself to SMU so in order to keep up, TU knows, at least on the surface, what it must do to keep up with SMU. Chadwick cited the example of the basketball search and seeing what Houston just did with its hire of Kelvin Sampson JUST BEFORE TU hired Haith.

He makes a lot of sense and he really slammed the notion that TU is a bad job. He went as far to say that the TU job is a hell of a lot better than the SMU or Kansas jobs based on performance in the last 10 years alone.

Pat's TU contact would most likely be Brent Guy. Pat must have heard some backlash from his comments, because he said while he may not think it's a great situation, he will be 100% behind the new coach & TU after someone is hired. Big Al chimed in his agreement.

Then, Bill Haisten ripped TU. He said TU needs to decide if they want to be a "wanna-be Ivy League school" or have academic programs that for athletes. Of course, Pat & Big Al chimed their agreement with Haisten.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:

hotterthanyourhusbandTU posted on 12/4/2014...

Brett Guy and Pat are very very close.

I totally forgot about Brett. Pat obviously has several close contacts to the TU staff. Realize the those coaches may have been just venting about some of the same restrictions we've heard mentioned as far as credits and transfers and Pat ran with it. Losing brings with it frustration. It's not a given that any of our coaches were intentionally "dissing" TU.
OK. I wasn't meaning to make a big deal out of that previous statement, but here is why I think the Pat Jones connection to the TU staff isn't worth much. -------- why didn't Denver or Brent talk to Pat Jones aboout how lousy the job was before they came aboard? Don't we all think that any coach who is contemplating a new job would have a list of "confidants" to consult? And of course Pat Jones, being the authority he is with his vast knowledge of TU football would be the first to be contacted by Brent and Denver since they were such great friends?

Pat Jone also said today that the next head coach at T.U. should keep B. Guy. Pat Jones needs to mind his business.

Originally posted by tuhurricane20:
Pat Jone also said today that the next head coach at T.U. should keep B. Guy. Pat Jones needs to mind his business.
Brent was a coach for Jones at OSU back in the 80's

Originally posted by Church 732:
Although, it could also be looked at this way:

If I'm an up and comer looking for a place to start and Pat says "This place is great! I'd take the job myself!", I'm staying the hell away from that place.

Pat's one of those people that I'm kinda okay if he hates us. I really wouldnt want someone saying "Really, Tulsa? That team that Pat Jones loves?"

It would be like Nickelback saying "Hey, we found this new band. They're really good. You all should check them out."
He's grumpy old troll who is still bitter that his bought players could never beat OU and NU. (comined 0-22)

Frankly he struggled to beat a "bad program" from the MVC and irrelevant ranks of the Independents.

He was lucky to have a winning record vs TU, 10 of 13, but 4 of those wins came down to the final position, final play of the game, or TU getting screwed by Big 8 officials at Lewis Field. Only twice in 13 years did he ever manage to thump TU by more than 2 TD's, 1984 and 1988, the two best teams of his Oklahoma Aggie career.

stupid rant over........

TX

This post was edited on 12/4 4:18 PM by texcane1982

If OSU doesn't beat OU this weekend and thus stay home during the bowl season, Pat may be wanting to save some of the candidates for OSU?

I'm thinking that Meacham is a bright guy, and knew to take Pat Jones' advice with a grain of salt, considering how he was friends with so many of the former staff. I would think he asked several people their opinion of the TU job This is all supposition, to be sure. I'm assuming he was just trying to get a lay of the land, while knowing opinions of some were a bit jaundiced, due to their connections to the job/school.

LoL, you're cracking me up with your cussing of Pooper Sc00per.

You can bet Meach had a long conversation with Van Malone.

And I'll bet Malone put TU in a much better light than Jones did.

You can bet Pat would have loved to had the TU job after he got sh!!!! canned at Okies state.

Originally posted by Gmoney4WW:
I am gradually realizing that almost the entire media in this town have no idea what they are doing.
Agree,......print, radio, and TV media in this town sucks something bad when it comes to TU.

A small city school like TU should be embraced, I was recently in Wichita and the media goes out of their way to give the Shockers coverage, despite prescence of KU and K-State.

The campus could move back to Muskogee and the media wouldn't have a clue.

TX
This post was edited on 12/4 5:35 PM by texcane1982

It occured to me that Jones telling Meacham TU is not a good job might actually be a positive. Not that Jones knows exactly what is going on at 11th and Harvard but he prolly knows some of the inner workings based on his realtionships with Guy and Johnson. If nothing else it gives Meacham things to address with Dr. Gragg. If Dr. Gragg expects to hire a quality candidate some changes will need to be made to better support the student athletes.

TX

Why would Jones want Guy to take a bad job?

Originally posted by TUMe:

Why would Jones want Guy to take a bad job?
great point

roll.r191677.gif

TX

Who are the advertisers on this silly show? They are the ones who might be interested that their listeners are upset.

Originally posted by rabidhurricanefan:

Why do Big Al and Pat seem so angry at TU latelly! Everything they say is negative!
Penis envy.

Does anyone remember the year Pat Jones went 0-10-1 at OSU and I think it was Channel 8 that did a video collage with someone singing "O' Ten and One" to the tune of "O' Tannenbaum?"

Pat Jones is still obsessed about the smell of our vistor locker room even after all of these years. I hope our wet dog locker room haunts Pat's hairy nostrils everyday of his life!!!!1

This post was edited on 12/4 8:37 PM by TulsaCane95

One of the advertisers on the radio show is oklahoma men's clinic. LOL

Who the f'ck is "Pat Jones?"

Seriously?

Pay Jones was a former HC at Aggie State that was fired because his teams sucked...

Big Al Jerk is a low tier sports caster that has spent almost his entire career in Tulsa because he couldn't get a better job in a bigger market...

They are both BB groupies and are now bitter...

BB needs to tell them to grow up, get a life, and move on...the past is over!

Pat needs to be reminded that he is the genius who kept Barry Sanders on the bench all but one year.
Pat Jones was the only person who could keep him under 100 yds rushing per game. I wouldn't be acting like I knew anything about coaching if I had Barry Sanders for three years and only started him for one. Just sayin'.

BUT, didn't he play behind Thurman Thomas...who wasn't exactly a slough or a bad RB?

It's a little hard to bench a two time college All-American. Member of the college football hall of fame. Someone who went on the be a 5 time nfl pro bowler. League MVP, etc...even for Barry Sanders.

Pat Jones: "If a ball hits the foul pole, it's a foul ball."

lawpoke87 posted on 12/5/2014...

It's a little hard to bench a two time college All-American. Member of the college football hall of fame. Someone who went on the be a 5 time nfl pro bowler. League MVP, etc...even for Barry Sanders.

Spoken like a true Aggie. Just sayin...

Originally posted by TU_BLA:
BUT, didn't he play behind Thurman Thomas...who wasn't exactly a slough or a bad RB?
So couldn't they run a two back offense?

TBH, I doubt Jones could have ever won a game if he hadn't been the biggest cheater since Barry Switzer. Its odd how both those cheaters are so endeared in this state. I don't know how good a fb coaches they were, but they weren't half the men BB was/is. IMO

This post was edited on 12/5 1:26 PM by rabidTU

In the '87 bedlam game played in Norman
won by ou that was the game where Barry Switzer
was quoted as saying to the ou "d" coaches
"LetThurman get his yards because
We don't want that running back on the bench to get in the game."

Little tid bit: Barry sanders was only being recruited by Dave rader
Osu got in late and ou offered after knowing Osu was going to

I told yall Meacham was he frontrunner before the news even broke. lol

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:

lawpoke87 posted on 12/5/2014[/URL]...

Spoken like a true Aggie. Just sayin...
It's been fun watching 'poke stick up for pat jones in this thread... Like he is family or something....

just goes to show you.... orange is a horrible base coat...

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
On all of this criticism from Jones, you must consider the source.

There is a reason that Pat Jones never won ANYTHING and the only time he produced a winning football team was when he nearly got the OSU program shutdown for massive improprieties.

I know that Pat made his money, so if that is how you measure success, then fine. However, if you are going to evaluate his career based on results, then he was an abject failure.

In my opinion, if you seek Pat Jones for advice, you are most likely not qualified to be a head coach.

pat jones?? why do we care what she thinks.......

uzi.r191677.gif
nuke her

Where's Pokenmike when you need him.

That's even more embarrassing. You are saying that he not only had the best running back, perhaps tin he history of football, but he had another running back who was nearly just as good...both on the team at the same time and you couldn't even win a conference championship and barely posted a winning record? The point here is that Barry Sanders was a small role player for 2 years while under Pat Jones. 'nuff said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT