ADVERTISEMENT

OK A&M game thread

We should never ever agree to a game in our stadium w/ Big XII refs.

The refs didnt beat us.. we beat ourselves...

We had momentum
We had the ball to end the half.
We got the ball to start the half.
And did nothing with it.

We let them up off the mat, let them go to their corner, and catch their breath for 3 drives. When we should have been snapping the ball within seconds of lining up and driving the ball down their throat..

The challenger takes the fight to the champ because he has nothing to lose.

We should never ever agree to a game in our stadium w/ Big XII refs.

This wasnt on the refs! This is poor coaching, conservative play calling and the inability to keep a lead. How many games have we been winning and watched a lead dissolve? Monty plays to not lose and the second he takes a lead he changes his game plan

This wasnt on the refs! This is poor coaching, conservative play calling and the inability to keep a lead. How many games have we been winning and watched a lead dissolve? Monty plays to not lose and the second he takes a lead he changes his game plan
Didn’t appear that there was a plan. Lots of disorganization and second guessing when the team came to the line.

Reactions: maverickfp
Most of our penalties were clearly the correct call. The only real bad one I can think of is the PI called on our corner when it was actually offensive PI. Everything else looked right to me. We’re just not very good so we commit penalties

If your going to be a stubborn ass and not change the game plan of running up the middle at least put in the big bruising back in and let him inflict some pain. Why the hell we never saw Wilkerson in the game is beyond me.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
The refs didnt beat us.. we beat ourselves...

We had momentum
We had the ball to end the half.
We got the ball to start the half.
And did nothing with it.

We let them up off the mat, let them go to their corner, and catch their breath for 3 drives. When we should have been snapping the ball within seconds of lining up and driving the ball down their throat..

The challenger takes the fight to the champ because he has nothing to lose.

This...

Some of ya'll shouldn't drink and type.

We'll be alright. Gonna beat Wyoming next week and be a 3rd of the way to bowl eligibility.

Some of ya'll shouldn't drink and type.

We'll be alright. Gonna beat Wyoming next week and be a 3rd of the way to bowl eligibility.

I wish i was drinking.. tough to drink at a prep baseball tourney..

This was a statement game..
we win an recruiting gets easier..
We win and home crowds get better..
We win and monty gets a new job..

Nothing but negatives in this outcome when you cant cover against a WEAK osu team at home..

I think too many people made this a season defining game. But when I take my blue and gold glasses off I know that it's not. We're gonna be ok.

I think too many people made this a season defining game. But when I take my blue and gold glasses off I know that it's not. We're gonna be ok.

Not unless we become more disciplined. I can be a homer but also can be a realist. More than 5 penalties a game particularly in critical situations won’t get us to a bowl. Hopefully corrections are made and discipline instilled.

Ever is a long time. Let's limit to now Hoss. Being for TU and for Monty aren't compatible. Saying we are going to win next week and get better doesn't pass the 5 year test. If he could turn this program around he would have done it along time age.
So much of this ...

Not unless we become more disciplined. I can be a homer but also can be a realist. More than 5 penalties a game particularly in critical situations won’t get us to a bowl. Hopefully corrections are made and discipline instilled.
Sure thing. We've definitely got to be more disciplined to win. And I believe that will be addressed. History says we're not going to have 17 penalties 2 weeks in a row.

I just think calling for the coaches head for not beating a team we haven't beaten in 20 years is a bit much to put it simply.

I was rooting for the winning team so my perspective is much different. But I was mighty impressed with Tulsa’s OL, Shamari Brooks, Keylan Stokes, and your defense. I thought the defense coaches were smart to press OSU WRs. Certainly brave to have 1:1 coverage against Wallace, but other than one play it worked and it helped add men in the box against Hubbard.

It may not be season defining from a win loss standpoint.. but from a program sustaining standpoint, this was a huge dissapointment... you have the champ on the ropes with a chance for a big payday and you let it slip away.. it will take a lot of big margin wins at home to generate the crowd snd metro excitement that a win vs osu would have given us..

Win this and we have 26k at the next game.. win this and local media is talking us up... win this and sportscenter is giving us time..

It was very winnable..

Sure thing. We've definitely got to be more disciplined to win. And I believe that will be addressed. History says we're not going to have 17 penalties 2 weeks in a row.

I just think calling for the coaches head for not beating a team we haven't beaten in 20 years is a bit much to put it simply.

The last coach that beat them had fewer resources.. half the salary.. but a hell of a lot more offensive saavy than this hall monitor..

It always sucks to feel the way I felt today, which we've felt for the last few seasons.

Me: huh, those were some good calls. defense broke a time or two but got it together. wow, we're beating OSU at half. Could it be finally time?

Monty: we have a lead? yes, this is where I want them, now we just run, run and pass. No reason to add anything new, we're winning.

Me: yep, i knew not to get too excited with the first half...

It may not be season defining from a win loss standpoint.. but from a program sustaining standpoint, this was a huge dissapointment... you have the champ on the ropes with a chance for a big payday and you let it slip away.. it will take a lot of big margin wins at home to generate the crowd snd metro excitement that a win vs osu would have given us..

Win this and we have 26k at the next game.. win this and local media is talking us up... win this and sportscenter is giving us time..

It was very winnable..
Win this game and we would still have 18,000 against Wyoming . The casual Football fan in Tulsa is too lazy to check out a TU game even if you gave them a free ticket .

It was very winnable..
I think 26,000 is a bit generous, but I can agree that a win would be a perception changer. I just think some people are overreacting for that not happening.

The last coach that beat them had fewer resources.. half the salary.. but a hell of a lot more offensive saavy than this hall monitor..
How many times more has OSU's resources increased compared to our's since the last time we beat them? I doubt it's even close.

The "Monty Dynasty" ship has left Southhampton and has collided with the iceberg, 2015 and 2016 were just the wonderful stops in Cherbourg and Queenstown. 2017 was the order to increase speed, 2018 was ignorantly ignoring the ice warnings, and yesterday was (for me) the iceberg.

I stayed positive through two years of BB's trash and Todd's fluke 5-7 year; those were different in every single way. I will never give up on TU, nor will I submit to total pessimism -- that said, it is time to swallow that pride and look reality in the face.

Reactions: HuffyCane and 4tu2
Quit giving Monty credit for the first two years. All he did was what Blankenship said he could do, with Dan Evans as a junior and a senior.

The Monty era is what you see now. Bad strategy and tactics. Strong tendencies and a refusal to vary the offense or play calling. The worst case of turtle I have seen, things go bad, run run pass. We get a lead run run pass. Dumb plays and penalties. No ability to seize the opportunities presented and rarely the sort of play calling the would allow the players to capitalize off the chance.

Monty is a great person and right now a bad coach. He is a 3-9 season type coach. The talent is there for a bowl type team but we are looking at three wins and a possible fourth with an upset. We should have made the call last year.

Sorry Monty, but Bilichik was a bad coach his first go too. Hire an OC next time. Hopefully it will be easier for you since it looks as though you're headed for an OC job next year anyway.

How many more years are left on his contract and how much would the buy out be ?

How many more years are left on his contract and how much would the buy out be ?
If memory serves, and I could be totally wrong, there are two years remaining at $1.25 mil if you include this season. So basically a $1.25 buy out in December.

Which is totally doable if we can find a recently discharged P5 coach who is owed money by a school and doesn’t want to sit out a few years. I doubt we do it though. More apt to stick with him and negotiate an extension at a bargain rate now that we’ve got a TV contract and three money school contracts locked in for a decade.

If he keeps losing I don’t know how we can afford to keep him I like Monty but I sure hope things go positive the rest of the year. We need to win 6 games and go to a bowl. Fingers crossed.

If he gets an extension look for a scene where the villagers light torches and storm the castle. [Please refer to the movie Frankenstein.]

Reactions: rusty-c
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT