ADVERTISEMENT

TU vs NWS game thread

I got the impression that a number of people thought that the guy kicking the field goals and extra points was the same guy that was kicking off for us. Let me disabuse you of that thought. It was not the same guy.

We have two short range kickers and two long range kickers. Morgan is a short range kicker and was responsible for the 2 or 3 kicking miscues today.

The guy kicking off, and putting most of them out of the end zone is Malphurs, out of Texas. We do not have a Jeckyll & Hyde kicker.
I understood they were two different kickers. Malphurs was great in first half kicking south to north (all were out of the end zone). Kicking north to south were only to goal line. Then he started over compensating and kicked two OB going into the south and another one (last KO) going north. The OBs are the second worst thing that can happen putting the ball at the 35. That is why I thought he was also inconsistent like Morgan was on FG/PATs.

Williams didn't look bad either. Didn't really see enough to grade him.

I do agree that Francis looked good picking on an outmatched opponent.
Short of a couple balls he pushed in the first half he showed excellent accuracy and touch. He didn’t get rattled in the pocket, nor did he panic and make stupid mistakes getting rid of the ball. All in all a very promising start.

Last edited:
I thought Francis earned the starting job. He did really well after the second drive. Not sure what roll cardell will play going forward. I like where we are with the walk on QB.

The kicking was atrocious. Two kickoffs out of bounds. We are giving them yards. Against conference opponents and OSWho this could come to bite us if it’s not fixed. It addressed but fixed.

Worried about our defense both line and secondary. We are not going to be able to blitz in conference and against OSWho the way we did last night. We will go up against better Olines than we just did and they could carve up our secondary who played pretty soft. The DB’s did not really cover their man very well most of the game. The receiver just dropped a all they could have caught.

Questions about our OLine as the Demons defense did well at penetrating the pocket. Francis did well moving around and staying poised but this should be the weakest team we play.

Lots of questions from this game. I don’t care how young they are. It’s about talent and getting that talent to play correctly and consistently. All of the teams we play are young teams. These guys are all 18-23 with a few exceptions. We do need to develop these guys but if their D1 talent they need to be able to block or penetrate the OLine.

I thought Francis earned the starting job. ........ be able to block or penetrate the OLine.
I liked your analysis.. edited to save space..

If these guys stay healthy through non con games by game 6 or 7 we will have a pretty salty bunch.. and by game 12 we will have one of the hottest rosters in the portal..

I liked your analysis.. edited to save space..

If these guys stay healthy through non con games by game 6 or 7 we will have a pretty salty bunch.. and by game 12 we will have one of the hottest rosters in the portal..
I still think the NIL rules need to change, by adding a compensation to the school that signed, educated and trained up the transferring player. If you sign our player out of the portal, you pay us 50% of the NIL payment.

Using a well known basketball example, Memphis signs Haggerty & pays him $700,000. They would have to also pay TU $350,000. I’m sure some plan like this will probably never happen, because the roster robbers are running the show, but it would make this current Wild West system more equitable.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I still think the NIL rules need to change, by adding a compensation to the school that signed, educated and trained up the transferring player. If you sign our player out of the portal, you pay us 50% of the NIL payment.

Using a well known basketball example, Memphis signs Haggerty & pays him $700,000. They would have to also pay TU $350,000. I’m sure some plan like this will probably never happen, because the roster robbers are running the show, but it would make this current Wild West system more equitable.
Allow the school to set the transfer fee like the European Soccer Teams do.

Reactions: Henry Kendall

Transfer payments are a great, great idea. Signing contracts needs to happen. This is getting out of control.

Worried about our defense both line and secondary. We are not going to be able to blitz in conference and against OSWho the way we did last night. We will go up against better Olines than we just did and they could carve up our secondary who played pretty soft. The DB’s did not really cover their man very well most of the game. The receiver just dropped a all they could have caught.
Did we watch the same game?

Reactions: dougheffking
Did we watch the same game?
I don't remember us kicking any out of bounds also.

There was VERY little pressure on Francis at all.

Outside of the first drive I thought our defense was good...no?

OSU will obviously be the best team we play, but they're also a top 2 team in the big 12 this year and potential playoff team, let's not be one of those fans that melts if we don't compete with them(I think we CAN compete with them...especially on offense)

I got the impression that a number of people thought that the guy kicking the field goals and extra points was the same guy that was kicking off for us. Let me disabuse you of that thought. It was not the same guy.

We have two short range kickers and two long range kickers. Morgan is a short range kicker and was responsible for the 2 or 3 kicking miscues today on field goals and extra points.

The guy kicking off, and putting most of them out of the end zone is Malphurs, out of Texas. We do not have a Jeckyll & Hyde kicker.

Allow the school to set the transfer fee like the European Soccer Teams do.
If you do that then you will need them to sign an actual contract. Those release clause terms are contractually agreed upon by the team and player. And I'm fine with that as we are headed to a place where the athlete is considered an employee of the university (IDK, maybe that has already been settled in a court somewhere). If the NCAA limiting the number of scholarships is a violation of antitrust then that basically means the athlete is a contractor and thus employed by the university as such. TU could set a minimum limit that the NIL needed to release a TU athlete from their contract with the school is $100k but that a transfer fee equal to the NIL fee offered is required to release them. Instead of a player signing an LOI, they sign a 4 year contract with a school option for the 5th to cover the RS year if needed. You add the release clause, the value of the scholarship, the value of NIL, and the value of the total cost of attendance as terms. This of course would mean TU would have to up its NIL game to players off the bat. I mean, TU could be the trendsetter and do it now as this is where pro college athletics is headed anyway. I'm shocked we haven't seen contracts yet at some of the bigger schools saying the same thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: noble cane
“we will have one of the hottest rosters in the portal..”

Whatcha talkin about Willis?
It is what it is...

P4 programs are lazy and recruit stars rather than potential.. we recruit potential, develop it and then lose it to the bag...

Until the P4 are required to pay us or the players unionize and are signed to contracts not NLI's, we will be the JUCO that Trammel described.

We will provide a 12 game highlight reel resume for our players and like vultures they will pick us clean..

It is what it is...

P4 programs are lazy and recruit stars rather than potential.. we recruit potential, develop it and then lose it to the bag...

Until the P4 are required to pay us or the players unionize and are signed to contracts not NLI's, we will be the JUCO that Trammel described.

We will provide a 12 game highlight reel resume for our players and like vultures they will pick us clean..
Correct! This NIL garbage isn’t being handled the way it should have been. Instead of taking part of the proceeds of the money coming in from your name image and likeness they are just putting players on contracts. The P4 can pay more out or I should say the boosters of the P4 can pay more so they will be able to poach the talent.

P4 conferences and notre dame are the only ones that are marketed nationwide so they will always get the lion share of everything including the players. Until they even this stuff out, I will have to agree the G5 teams are the real FCS. The FCS are just D2

I don't remember us kicking any out of bounds also.
Two kickoffs went out of bounds. Coach Wilson chewed the kid out a bit after the first one, but not as bad as he chewed out the other kicker with the missed PAT.

The kicker came off the field hurt after the 2nd one went out of bounds, but it appeared to me that he may have just been avoiding the coach that time.

Any updates on Jeremiah Ballard's injury? Would hate to lose this guy for the season.

I think the new A.D. will get TU in the NIL game, Maybe not to Memphis level but close to the other AAC teams.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Terrible awful and someone needs to be fired.
Outstandingly awesome someone needs a raise.
Young team did young things.
Talented team showed some talent.
All as expected.

Let’s see what next week brings.
1-0 was the goal and we made it.
Ahhhh…..Weatherdemon quasi-haiku.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT