ADVERTISEMENT

Non Conference Mens Basketball

Did you look at any of these teams records last year? All it takes is a minute to check them at ESPN. It's not an absolute predictor of next year, but it has a strong bearing. New Mexico St(10-21) & Loyola Chicago.(9-15)

The only ones that can be included on that basis alone are OSU & Missouri St. The next best record(in a crappy conference) was Jackson St. I have a feeling Jackson St will be better than Loyola or New Mexico St. That's not much of a compliment.
I didn't look at last year's record. Maybe my mind is thinking 2 yrs ago (or even 3) when New Mexico St was 27-7. But they lost their coach after that year and apparently they didn't do that well. Just look at what New Mexico St did for the 5 year period before last year. Really really good stuff.

I knew Loyola struggled last season (we beat them) but again, they moved to a higher level conference so I'm assuming they're upgrading their roster to go along with that.

Did you look at any of these teams records last year? All it takes is a minute to check them at ESPN. It's not an absolute predictor of next year, but it has a strong bearing. New Mexico St(10-21) & Loyola Chicago.(9-15)

The only ones that can be included on that basis alone are OSU & Missouri St. The next best record(in a crappy conference) was Jackson St. I have a feeling Jackson St will be better than Loyola or New Mexico St. That's not much of a compliment.
Hard to go off last year's record in these times. Some teams have changed out 10-12 players (Tulsa) and even though I have attended several practices, I have no clue on how this team will play. Usually I can estimate a record but will wait till first few games to more accurately predict. I can tell you we have some potentially good shooters, but the inside game gives me no clues yet.

Hard to go off last year's record in these times. Some teams have changed out 10-12 players (Tulsa) and even though I have attended several practices, I have no clue on how this team will play. Usually I can estimate a record but will wait till first few games to more accurately predict. I can tell you we have some potentially good shooters, but the inside game gives me no clues yet.
Already sounds better than last year.

Like II said, I think the talent is there they just need to play to each other’s strengths. I think it will help to have a proven grad transfer PG and a backcourt teammate he’s used to playing with. If Williams and Willis aren’t our starting backcourt I will be shocked. I may be proven wrong when the games start but in the bits of practice video I’ve seen Reed looks like the kind of big man we usually see go to places like Gonzaga. I hope they’re coming together and can play off each other in about 5 weeks.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Yeah I just figured it gave some kind of clue, because I doubt the majority of teams we play changed out 10 to 13 players like we did. There will be some teams who improve dramatically more, from one year to the next, but most of them won't, even if they changed a bunch of their players.

I just went in and checked the two rosters we were talking about. Of all the players that played last year for Loyola, they've got 8 who are coming back. Of all the players who played who played for New Mexico St, zero of them are coming back. That right there says it's a pretty mixed bag by just looking at their records last year. New Mexico St will be a brand new team like we will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: I.I.
Like II said, I think the talent is there they just need to play to each other’s strengths. I think it will help to have a proven grad transfer PG and a backcourt teammate he’s used to playing with. If Williams and Willis aren’t our starting backcourt I will be shocked. I may be proven wrong when the games start but in the bits of practice video I’ve seen Reed looks like the kind of big man we usually see go to places like Gonzaga. I hope they’re coming together and can play off each other in about 5 weeks.
I'm highly encouraged by everyone's talk of Reed. I don't think anyone on this board saw him as anything more of a role player as a FR so he could learn the game and contribute meaningful minutes years 2-4. Hoping Hall adjusts as well as Reed has.

New Mexico State effectively shut down their entire program at the end of last season and forfeited their last 6 games. How good they are this year depends on how many waivers they can get for their 2x transfer guys, but between that group and grad transfers, they could have as many as 8 seniors.

Loyola I expect to bounce back this year. They added a couple Ivy League grad transfers who could have gone just about anywhere, plus the Mwamba kid from ORU.

New Mexico State effectively shut down their entire program at the end of last season and forfeited their last 6 games. How good they are this year depends on how many waivers they can get for their 2x transfer guys, but between that group and grad transfers, they could have as many as 8 seniors.

Loyola I expect to bounce back this year. They added a couple Ivy League grad transfers who could have gone just about anywhere, plus the Mwamba kid from ORU.
I forgot they had an issue last year with hazing (not to mention a Baylor type of incident where a player brought a gun to Albuquerque to shoot a UNM student whom he had an altercation with previously).

This is going to be a fun season, I'm pumped. I am sure I'm in the minority on this topic, but I'm much more worried about conference games than non-conference games. Also, I am putting OSU Basketball on alert, Boynton and the team are going down this year.

In 7 years at LaTech, Konkol had a top 200 non-conference SOS once and played 14 non-D1 games. Challenging schedules is not something I would expect to see from him.
Sounds like he graduated from the Douglas H. Wojick School of Scheduling.

Does the coach have complete control over the scheduling of games? I would think the AD would have some control over that. But I really don't know.

Missouri/Tulsa MTE

Thurs., Nov. 16: Jackson State (SWAC) at Missouri (SEC)
Sun., Nov. 19: Jackson State at Tulsa (American)
Nov. TBA: South Carolina State (MEAC) at Missouri; South Carolina State at Tulsa

South Florida is the only American team without an in season tournament or MTE at the moment
I wonder if we get a discount on their payouts since JSU and SCSU are basically passing through town anyway on their way home from Rolla?

Some poor grad asst. at JSU and SCSU was told "we're going to be in Rolla, Missouri on Nov. xyz, call every D1 school within 300 miles and see who has an opening 3 days later."

We host New Mexico State on Friday, December 22nd. That should just about do it.

11/6 Central Arkansas
11/9 Incarnate Word
11/16 Jackson State
TBD South Carolina State
11/25 at UALR
12/2 at Oral Roberts
12/5 Loyola-Chicago
12/10 Oklahoma State in OKC
12/16 Missouri State
12/22 New Mexico State
12/29 SW Oklahoma State
Has TU ever had a schedule where only 1 OOC game was played outside the state of Oklahoma or any point during an 11-game stretch where they only played 1 game outside the state?

Ha, this schedule will be easy on the travel budget. Maybe 1 short flight to Little Rock?

TX

Last edited:
Has TU ever had a schedule where only 1 OOC game was played outside the state of Oklahoma or any point during a season where they only played 1 game outside the state?

Ha, this schedule will be easy on the travel budget. Maybe 1 short flight to Little Rock?

TX
I hadn't noticed that lol!

No excuse for folks not to travel to see the team this year!

Has TU ever had a schedule where only 1 OOC game was played outside the state of Oklahoma or any point during a season where they only played 1 game outside the state?

TX
I hadn't paid attention either. 8 home games and a road trip to Arkansas, OKC, and Tulsa. That's pretty easy on the kids. Are we going to get a road heavy schedule next year, with home and homes?

Nolan Richardson 1980-1981

Central OK St.
SW Missouri State
Louisville (Game of the Century for TU basketball)
At Oklahoma
At ORU
Georgia (Mabee Center)
Tulane (Mabee Center)
OSU
Purdue

Then the Conference season. There were NO games outside Oklahoma before conference in January.

Sure enough. One more game was added. We’ll play Mississippi Valley State at home on December 19th.

11/6 Central Arkansas
11/9 Incarnate Word
11/16 Jackson State
TBD South Carolina State
11/25 at UALR
12/2 at Oral Roberts
12/5 Loyola-Chicago
12/16 Missouri State
12/19 Miss Valley St
12/22 New Mexico State
12/29 SW Oklahoma State

Sure enough. One more game was added. We’ll play Mississippi Valley State at home on December 19th.

11/6 Central Arkansas
11/9 Incarnate Word
11/16 Jackson State
TBD South Carolina State
11/25 at UALR
12/2 at Oral Roberts
12/5 Loyola-Chicago
12/16 Missouri State
12/19 Miss Valley St
12/22 New Mexico State
12/29 SW Oklahoma State
Maybe scrimmage LSU.

Reactions: ctt8410

11/6 Central Arkansas
11/9 Incarnate Word
11/16 Jackson State
TBD South Carolina State
11/25 at UALR
12/2 at Oral Roberts
12/5 Loyola-Chicago
12/16 Missouri State
12/19 Miss Valley St
12/22 New Mexico State
12/29 SW Oklahoma State
There is that game that is a little tougher than OSU! 😁 Maybe New Mexico St cobbled a team together that will be tough. Well the schedule should be out in the next day or four. @nevadanatural you got your 30th.

Last edited:
Reactions: loca2874
I think the latest it's ever come out is the 26th. But they have been putting it out like a week later every time out. So that should put it coming out between now and Oct 2nd or 3rd. :rolleyes: Sometime in the next 2 weeks.
Looks right on schedule for Oct 2 or 3 final release. 😁 Next year we won't see it till round 10/10. :rolleyes:

11/6 Central Arkansas
11/9 Incarnate Word
11/16 Jackson State
TBD South Carolina State
11/25 at UALR
12/2 at Oral Roberts
12/5 Loyola-Chicago
12/16 Missouri State
12/19 Miss Valley St
12/22 New Mexico State
12/29 SW Oklahoma State
I wonder what the hold up is for the SCSU game

I wonder what the hold up is for the SCSU game
Looks like we're doing sloppy seconds on other teams' body bag games. Wait til someone in the neighborhood schedules a Sun or Thurs game and then hit up the body bag team with "hey, you're in the neighborhood and are free and we're a short bus ride..." That's probably why the schedules takes longer, we wait for other teams to do their schedules then hunt out these opportunities. Probably also the issue on SCSU, trying to find a date where someone else in the area will split the cost.

I assume, but don't know, that being the second party to schedule lets you get the team a little cheaper, which would explain some of the late adds like MVSU and JSU? Maybe SCSU is contingent on them finding someone for the other date? Maybe they said "ok, we'll play you for $X but only if we can find someone else to take pay us"?

Sounds like he graduated from the Douglas H. Wojick School of Scheduling.
It's OK. When you have a year like last year and are trying to rebuild a program as well as the confidence of the players and fans in the program, you have to have some scheduling like this to get winning again. What Wojcik failed to capitalize on was scheduling to improve the team as he was only worried about the W/L record. How can you fire a guy that won 20 games? Well, when your RPI is so low despite those 20+ wins that you're not even on the radar of the NIT...that's how.

If this team goes .500, and recruiting remains positive and we're bringing in good players, then Konkol also needs to improve the quality of the schedule as that's the only way the program and players advance.

Reactions: bigdad48
It's OK. When you have a year like last year and are trying to rebuild a program as well as the confidence of the players and fans in the program, you have to have some scheduling like this to get winning again. What Wojcik failed to capitalize on was scheduling to improve the team as he was only worried about the W/L record. How can you fire a guy that won 20 games? Well, when your RPI is so low despite those 20+ wins that you're not even on the radar of the NIT...that's how.

If this team goes .500, and recruiting remains positive and we're bringing in good players, then Konkol also needs to improve the quality of the schedule as that's the only way the program and players advance.
With this non conference schedule, and the relative weakness of the conference in comparison to years previous, I think we should expect over .500. I do acknowledge, such an expectation would be a massive jump from last year’s performance though.

I have no problem with it this year, I was reacting to the post that this is how Konkol's teams, good or bad, in the past have usually scheduled. I mean, won a lot of games against bad schedules but never got to the dance does sound eerily familiar now that you bring it up.

Reactions: ctt8410
I get why we would want a soft schedule this year, but if it does turn out we have a good team this schedule pretty much excludes us from any potential at large consideration. Hate to eliminate that before the season even starts

“Have you had to sit through a Tulsa Basketball game in the past 12 months? If so, talk to your doctor about Paxil.”

I bet the drug companies could make a killing with some targeted advertisements towards teams across the country terrible records.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I guess I'll cancel all my Nov and Dec plans (me pretending like I have a life)...will be a lot of games to go to.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
18 regular season home games ( plus one exhibition). That might be a record number of TU home games!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT