ADVERTISEMENT

Midterm predictions…cuss and discuss

We’ll all find out November 8. We ought to see how accurate any of our predictions are compared to our football predictions. 🤣

Reactions: lawpoke87
We’ll all find out November 8. We ought to see how accurate any of our predictions are compared to our football predictions. 🤣
Lol. Now that is a true statement. Still would like to know where you’re getting your info on college educated Texas voters and large Texas newspaper endorsements.. Neither are correct

Lol. Now that is a true statement. Still would like to know where you’re getting your info on college educated Texas voters and large Texas newspaper endorsements.. Neither are correct
...and which poll has them 2 pts apart.

You stated every large paper in Texas has endorsed Beto. You failed to link the largest paper in Texas and it’s endorsement…not that endorsements mean anything to voters anymore
I listed three of the largest, including the Houston Chronicle which is the largest one in the state. Did you click on the links or not?

An alternative link is here.

I listed three of the largest, including the Houston Chronicle which is the largest one in the state. Did you click on the links or not?

An alternative link is here.

The largest in the state by print circulation is the Dallas Morning News….It’s very close though. Not to nitpick but you said the major newspapers in the state had endorsed Beto. The DMN is obviously a major newspaper in the state. Again…not that endorsements really matter. I did find it telling that the DMN endorsed Beto in his 2018 Senate bid but has endorsed his opponent in this years election. Beto’s shine has worn off imo. I believe he’s about to suffer his worse election loss ever. We will soon find out whose correct.

I also took exception to your statement that democrats are carrying Texas college educated voters by large margins. 2% is not a large margin. Will be interesting to see how those margins line up this cycle in the state. I anticipate similar results to 2020. I have a lot of ties to Texas politics so I believe I have a pretty good feel for what’s going on down there.

As you said, endorsements don’t necessarily translate to votes and the polls are often wrong. We’ll find out what happens November 8.

meanwhile historian Heather Cox Richardson has some thoughts on the upcoming elections.

As you said, endorsements don’t necessarily translate to votes and the polls are often wrong. We’ll find out what happens November 8.

meanwhile historian Heather Cox Richardson has some thoughts on the upcoming elections.
Thanks for the link. I don’t pay particular attention to the opinions of those who work in the higher education bubble of the northeast but I do enjoy reading the opinions from all types of individuals even when I disagree with almost every written word….as in this piece

Last edited:
Noticed that Hofmeisters commercials are now taking potshots at Biden..

I think it’s funny, the French are in the streets protesting the minimum age to receive full retirement benefits moving from 62-65 we’re talking about moving it closer to 70.

People are not physically designed to do labor at that point in their lives.

I think it’s funny, the French are in the streets protesting the minimum age to receive full retirement benefits moving from 62-65 we’re talking about moving it closer to 70.

There is a ton of non-physical jobs that most people are thoroughly capable of doing at 68. I know many people who continue working very diligently at 73+. Some do it for the money, some do it because they don't want to retire.

Careful about ageism.

As a 58 year old I support Aston in his “old people can’t do :crap:” crusade.

There is a ton of non-physical jobs that most people are thoroughly capable of doing at 68. I know many people who continue working very diligently at 73+. Some do it for the money, some do it because they don't want to retire.

Careful about ageism.
The fact there are people who are able to work into their old age on their own accord does not mean that all of them, or even a majority of them, are fit to do so. Nor should they be obligated to do so.

When did it become "ageism" to assert that people of an age that would have previously been not only allowed, but expected, to retire should be given every opportunity to do so on their own accord

I don't know about you, but I don't want to die whilst I'm working to make someone else money. Let the elderly enjoy their twilight as they see fit, not as you see fit.

As a 58 year old I support Aston in his “old people can’t do :crap:” crusade.
I don't mean to insinuate that old people can't do anything, I'm asserting that they should not be forced to do so if it is not in their best interest.

I don't mean to insinuate that old people can't do anything, I'm asserting that they should not be forced to do so if it is not in their best interest.
I don’t totally disagree with you here. From experience, as I age things do become more difficult. This applies to physical and mental tasks. No clue what I will like in 7-10 years but I certainly can’t work today at a level I could twenty years ago. I could especially see the age issue as problematic in labor intensive jobs. There are also high stress meticulous jobs which might be difficult for a 70 year old. Everybody ages differently so these are generalities. However, aging and it’s effects are very real

The fact there are people who are able to work into their old age on their own accord does not mean that all of them, or even a majority of them, are fit to do so.

When someone feels most people can't work at 65 that's when it's ageism. Talk about it when you are 50, 55, 60. You have no idea what it is to be that old. You don't lose the abilities that you seem to think you do. I know several people that work past 65, and are very capable.

There are plenty of jobs you can do as well, or better than a 24 year old with no experience. You put way too little value on experience. That is one of the attributes of ageism. 65 and 67 in this day and age is not the same as it was when those ages were instated as the age of retirement. People are generally in better health than when it was put into effect. That's why they raised it to 67 in 83.

I'm not advocating that it be raised, because you should have retirement years to enjoy, in decent health instead of working until you are a couple of years away from bad health. But statements like 'people are not designed to do work,...' and 'or even a majority of them, are fit to do so...' are an insult.

Then again, you think we should put 25 year olds in congress, so I already know your appreciation of experience is lacking.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMU

Dems used to take pride in being a home for down scale / underprivileged voters. How many people do you think actually have a college degree, especially among the groups Dems want to help? If republicans are making in-roads there, there’s probably a reason beyond “republicans are tricking stupid people.”

Just a reminder that polls aren’t always exactly reliable….especially coming from CNN. It’s no secret DeSantis has presidential aspirations. Something to watch next Tuesday will be his margin a victory in a very purple state known for close elections

what a choice. I can vote for facists and communists on one side or qanon election denyers on the other.

Just a reminder that polls aren’t always exactly reliable….especially coming from CNN. It’s no secret DeSantis has presidential aspirations. Something to watch next Tuesday will be his margin a victory in a very purple state known for close elections

When was it realeased that Gillum was a drug user?

Ok boys and girls there’s one week until midterms. My originally predictions continue to look good. Pubs win the House with 228. Senate is split 50-50. Couple of predictions on local and national races of interest:

Lankford and Mullin win easily +20ish

Stitt surprises and wins handily +5. The Tribes are going to waste nearly $20M. I understand this prediction doesn’t match with some polls especially the one 1978 posted show the Hoff up 7 points. I believing my polling is better :)

Beto has lost his shine and loses big. Abbott +8

Fetterman holds off the wizard in PA by 1.5

Ga senate goes to a runoff. Warnock wins rhnoff

Pubs win the Senate seat in Nev

Dems hold on to the Senate seat in Zona but lose the Governor’s race.

Desantis makes a statement and wins Fla by double digits.

Pubs win Ohio and Wisconsin but they are closer than expected

I
Ok boys and girls there’s one week until midterms. My originally predictions continue to look good. Pubs win the House with 228. Senate is split 50-50. Couple of predictions on local and national races of interest:

Stitt surprises and wins handily +5. The Tribes are going to waste nearly $20M. I understand this prediction doesn’t match with some polls especially the one 1978 posted show the Hoff up 7 points. I believing my polling is better :)

I agree with this perspective though I wouldn’t be surprised if the Senate flips on a surprise from Arizona or a disappointment in Georgia.

I

I agree with this perspective though I wouldn’t be surprised if the Senate flips on a surprise from Arizona or a disappointment in Georgia.
Agree. There will certainly be a few surprises. Control of the Senate hinges on a few close races.

You think Stitt's late ad campaign is going to pull it out for him?

I got a phone message from Desantis supporting Stitt.

You think Stitt's late ad campaign is going to pull it out for him?

I got a phone message from Desantis supporting Stitt.
Ad campaign and metrics imo. The tribes spent millions on anti Stitt ads for months and they drove his negatives way down (it wasn’t a difficult task). He’s now running ads and combined with an overwhelming Republican electorate I see him pulling this out. In a more normal year I would give Joy a better than 50/50 chance. Political climate doesn’t favor her.

One interesting note looking at next Tuesday, how will the 12 Republicans the Dems spent $53M to win the primaries fair in the general?

I

I

dem(outside money) have out spent the rep by more than 3:1. i guess you can buy a political seat.

One interesting note looking at next Tuesday, how will the 12 Republicans the Dems spent $53M to win the primaries fair in the general?
I don't think any of them except maybe Gibbs have much chance at success. Their biggest failure in this effort will probably be not succeeding to get 'their' republicans through to the general.

I don't think any of them except maybe Gibbs have much chance at success. Their biggest failure in this effort will probably be not succeeding to get 'their' republicans through to the general.
Wasn’t the point to ensure those Pubs lose in the general? Supporting far right pubs in the primary so they will be easier opponents for the Dems in the general?

Wasn’t the point to ensure those Pubs lose in the general? Supporting far right pubs in the primary so they will be easier opponents for the Dems in the general?
Yeah, and from what I saw there is a chance that Gibbs will win, and not much of a chance, but the next best chance for Mastriano.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT