ADVERTISEMENT

Happy New Year, it could be an interesting one in Congress

McCarthy might as well give up at this point. About all he can do now would be to give them the one man vote of no confidence. You would be letting this small cadre of Trump loving wack jobs dictate what happens in congress, in fear that they would bring up a vote. This small cadre are bullies, and need to be thrown out of congress. They keep doing this, and the Republicans will bring in a moderate democrat to get the votes.

McCarthy might as well give up at this point. About all he can do now would be to give them the one man vote of no confidence. You would be letting this small cadre of Trump loving wack jobs dictate what happens in congress, in fear that they would bring up a vote. This small cadre are bullies, and need to be thrown out of congress. They keep doing this, and the Republicans will bring in a moderate democrat to get the votes.
Reminds me a bit of when the wacky far left tried to unseat Nancy two years ago. That coup ultimately failed. Will this one

Reminds me a bit of when the wacky far left tried to unseat Nancy two years ago. That coup ultimately failed. Will this one
Nancy got the vote the first time. He has already failed three votes.

The only thing he has left is letting a single house member bring a vote, or at least way less than nine.

If McCarthy gives the crazy 20 what they demand to become Speaker, the House will be chaos. Where are the principled conservatives?

Reactions: TU 1978
Nancy got the vote the first time. He has already failed three votes.

The only thing he has left is letting a single house member bring a vote, or at least way less than nine.
The left wing wackos backed down quite a bit quicker than their right wing colleagues. It’s a bit comical to see 20 Reps holding this thing up.

The left wing wackos backed down quite a bit quicker than their right wing colleagues. It’s a bit comical to see 20 Reps holding this thing up.
It's funny alright, but not comical in my book. The fact that he even gave up allowing 9 reps to call a vote is repulsive, and they want 1. I hope this thing blows up in their face and all but a handful don't get reelected. A couple of three can't do the damage that 20 can. It makes the Republicans look keystone cops-ish weak.

It's funny alright, but not comical in my book. The fact that he even gave up allowing 9 reps to call a vote is repulsive, and they want 1. I hope this thing blows up in their face and all but a handful don't get reelected. A couple of three can't do the damage that 20 can. It makes the Republicans look keystone cops-ish weak.
The one thing the last few years has taught me is that no one will care. How many times did we see politicians over the last few years defy Covid rules they enacted for the masses but not for them? No one cares anymore. Both sides will continue to vote for “their people” solely based on the political party to which they belong. It is what it is.

The one thing the last few years has taught me is that no one will care. How many times did we see politicians over the last few years defy Covid rules they enacted for the masses but not for them? No one cares anymore. Both sides will continue to vote for “their people” solely based on the political party to which they belong. It is what it is.
I was actually not thinking about the Democrats taking them out. I was talking about another Republican running, and the Republicans eliminating them in the primary.

I was actually not thinking about the Democrats taking them out. I was talking about another Republican running, and the Republicans eliminating them in the primary.
Pubs voted for a number of what I believe were unqualified fringe candidates in the primaries this last cycle. I have zero faith the pubs won’t follow the same path come 2024.

Pubs voted for a number of what I believe were unqualified fringe candidates in the primaries this last cycle. I have zero faith the pubs won’t follow the same path come 2024.
They lost a lot of sure thing elections because of that. Hopefully they will be bright enough see the light on that issue.

McCarthy is negotiating against himself. He offers concessions and gets nothing back, then he does the same thing again and again. Not sure what he has left to give. Not a good sign for someone whose job will be to move legislation through the House.

The Maga 20 are all election deniers whose agenda has little to do with anything most Americans care about: Hunter Biden, don't add more IRS agents, refuse to raise the debt ceiling, and stop supporting Ukraine. It's a Putin/XI wish list, but hardly the stuff that will benefit most Americans. That's why the Big Red Wave didn't materialize in the last election. There have to be a considerable number of House Republicans who know this.

I had a friend who worked at Microsoft Research who used to describe Microsoft as "a loose affiliation of warring tribes." Not sure how accurate that description is about Microsoft, but it may be a good one for the House Republicans.

Reactions: eastcane
I do anticipate they won’t be obsessed with Trump hearings while inflation is out of control and shortages of goods and services are crippling the nation. Just saying

I'm just wondering how long they are going to wait, till they have a plurality vote. Unless they change to Scalise, or McCarthy gives up the 1 vote concession, this probably won't change. I doubt McCarthy will give the 1 vote thing, and seriously doubt he steps to the side and allows Scalise. I was shocked that McCarthy gave them 5 votes to vote on vacating the post. I'm actually shocked they didn't give in to that. There are enough election deniers to vote 5 votes to vacate, with very little convincing.

I hope they do the plurality thing because I don't like his concession of 5 house members. That is dangerous and will stop a lot of legislation from making it throught the house. There doesn't seem to be much risk in plurality. If they do that, the 'election denier 20' will cave to McCarthy like a ton of badly stacked bricks imo. The 20 won't take a chance on Jeffries becoming the Speaker of the House. I honestly think Trump is not backing McCarthy, through back channels, even though he is backing him through front channels.

I'm just wondering how long they are going to wait, till they have a plurality vote. Unless they change to Scalise, or McCarthy gives up the 1 vote concession, this probably won't change. I doubt McCarthy will give the 1 vote thing, and seriously doubt he steps to the side and allows Scalise. I was shocked that McCarthy gave them 5 votes to vote on vacating the post. I'm actually shocked they didn't give in to that. There are enough election deniers to vote 5 votes to vacate, with very little convincing.

I hope they do the plurality thing because I don't like his concession of 5 house members. That is dangerous and will stop a lot of legislation from making it throught the house. There doesn't seem to be much risk in plurality. If they do that, the 'election denier 20' will cave to McCarthy like a ton of badly stacked bricks imo. The 20 won't take a chance on Jeffries becoming the Speaker of the House. I honestly think Trump is not backing McCarthy, through back channels, even though he is backing him through front channels.
Politico reports that McCarthy may be willing to drop to a single vote to be enough to vote on vacating. Hard to imagine how one 'leads' the Republicans in the House with that over hanging over his head

Politico reports that McCarthy may be willing to drop to a single vote to be enough to vote on vacating. Hard to imagine how one 'leads' the Republicans in the House with that over hanging over his head
That is just silly, he won't get anything done, or he'll get their agenda on or off the ballot. They will cave if you force a plurality vote. Call their bluff. It is a bluff. That is just being stupid. Should have gone to a plurality vote before he dropped from 9 to 5 votes. Give them nothing and force them to give in. This is the time.

This reminds me of a hostage situation where McCarthy is negotiating with the people holding him and the rest of the House hostage. At what point do the moderates nominate someone completely different (Fred Upton has been mentioned) and form a bipartisan solution to this?

This reminds me of a hostage situation where McCarthy is negotiating with the people holding him and the rest of the House hostage. At what point do the moderates nominate someone completely different (Fred Upton has been mentioned) and form a bipartisan solution to this?
So far the only person McCarthy is negotiating with appears to be himself. He keeps offering up whatever he can without receiving anything back in return. Is this the mark of an effective Speaker?
One positive note is Gaetz promising to resign if moderate Republicans used some Democratic votes to select a moderate Republican Speaker.
If this goes into the weekend, who knows what would happen?

So far the only person McCarthy is negotiating with appears to be himself. He keeps offering up whatever he can without receiving anything back in return. Is this the mark of an effective Speaker?
One positive note is Gaetz promising to resign if moderate Republicans used some Democratic votes to select a moderate Republican Speaker.
If this goes into the weekend, who knows what would happen?
I would argue negotiating for a desired result is exactly what is expected of the Speaker. As for nothing back in return….the position of Speaker of the House isn’t exactly nothing

Last edited:
I would argue negotiating for a desired result is exactly what is expected of the Speaker. As for nothing back in return….the position of Speaker of the House isn’t exactly nothing
What McCarthy has given up, is ridiculous. He will be held hostage if he continues. This is not a negotiation. He has given the 20, everything. Being speaker with no ability to operate as he wishes, for fear of losing the speakership is exactly nothing. You make a statement like this, and it causes me to shake my head.

What McCarthy has given up, is ridiculous. He will be held hostage if he continues. This is not a negotiation. He has given the 20, everything. Being speaker with no ability to operate as he wishes, for fear of losing the speakership is exactly nothing. You make a statement like this, and it causes me to shake my head.
My statement was only addressing that he’s getting nothing in return for his concessions. He in fact is….the Speakership. This sort of reminds me of the negotiations between political parties in other countries so one can have a majority of votes. Coalitions of some somewhat odd alliances at times. The odd thing here is it’s occurring in the same political party and is very public

My statement was only addressing that he’s getting nothing in return for his concessions. He in fact is….the Speakership. This sort of reminds me of the negotiations between political parties in other countries so one can have a majority of votes. Coalitions of some somewhat odd alliances at times. The odd thing here is it’s occurring in the same political party and is very public
An incredibly handicapped speakership being held hostage on every other move he makes isn't worth having. I'm speaking for McCarthy, but I'm also speaking for the Republican party. They have played into the 20's hands by not calling their bluff. They would have folded. Those 20 now have power in the house way beyond what they should have. The cynic in me says it allows more conservative moves by McCarthy on certain issues when he might not have done so before because of bad press. He can blame it on the 20.

Gave up on defense spending for the Pentagon. Smart. Very smart. Sometimes I wonder if it’s not Putin feeding these game plans to the Marg‘s of the world. They’re not smart enough to know to do this on their own. They have a handler somewhere.

Reactions: watu05
If you elect people to run a government whose only goal is to undermine it, this is the outcome. Same works for ‘democracy’. Have to believe a substantial portion of House Pubs don’t agree with what’s going on, but where are they?

Gaetz says McCarthy 'has been very thorough' in giving us everything we demanded and more.(cough, cough)

Just hoping we finally have a Congress who will place our current economic situation front and center. Don’t really care who the speaker is just like I didn’t care if Nancy was the speaker w the Dems. We need to finally address our domestic issues. The people who can least afford high inflation haven’t had a voice in far too long. Song really care which party addresses it….White House, House or Senate

Just hoping we finally have a Congress who will place our current economic situation front and center. Don’t really care who the speaker is just like I didn’t care if Nancy was the speaker w the Dems. We need to finally address our domestic issues. The people who can least afford high inflation haven’t had a voice in far too long. Song really care which party addresses it….White House, House or Senate
Russia is more pressing… but that’s ok.

I think that most of our congress can attend to both issues(Russia & the Economy) at the same time.

Reactions: lawpoke87
How many of those were bankrolled by DNC money?

The only saving grace is that it takes 218 after the motion to vacate to oust him. But the 20 election deniers, obviously feel this delay was of value, or were advised that it was of value. Even if unsuccessful it could delay things enough to cause damage. If it was a budget proposal or debt ceiling that could cause problems. If it was for instance, money for Ukraine, that could be serious if delayed long enough. There are quite a few situations that a threat might force compromise to the election deniers. It is not a good situation to be held hostage by the election deniers on any number of issues. They could make threats to do it on something innocuous to them, if they don't get to vote on a bill they want voted on. Ridiculous power to 20 fruit loops who most people disagree with.

When he was speaker Boehner called himself ‘mayor of crazy town.’ Given McCarthy’s concessions to the ‘Freedom‘ Caucus, his town is likely to be a lot crazier. Mc Carthy has to get House to agree to his proposed new rules on Monday.

Can’t imagine McCarthy would have been elected without an agreement in place.

You guys are focused on a Speaker vote while increased spending, trillions in debt, higher borrowing costs, and lower asset values are going to make debt service problematic going forward. Congress solution to this looming issue has been the same as most on this board….ignore. We have real economic and fiscal problems both currently and on the horizon. I have no idea is this Congress will be as inept as their predecessor re the problems which face us. They very well might be. If we see a repeat of the past few years there will be a point where our house of cards built on debt collapse and there won’t be a damn thing anyone can do about it

On that note….have a great weekend :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT