ADVERTISEMENT

Games of Interest (11.9.21) Lets Do This!!!!

loca2874

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2008
Stafford, VA
College Basketball Season Starts TODAY!!!!!

Tulsa doesn’t play till tomorrow but a ton of games today. As you can see, I do have Ratings on here. These are last years ending Ratings. I only have these here as a comparison I guess you could say. When the actuals come out then I will let you know and it will start changing from there.

Bethune-Cookman did not participate in Basketball last year so they do not have a ranking. You will see a few of those in the upcoming days with various teams including the Ivy league. We have a couple of those that will appear this season.

Oklahoma Christian doesn’t have one either as they are a Division II school out of the Lone Star Conference. They had a 6-11 Conference season last year and they picked up two new coaches. One of them is a female Graduate Assistant. They also grabbed one D1 transfer in Drew Tennial from Texas State. At 6-5 and 210 pounds, he is a 2 star Sophomore Shooting Guard transfer. North Texas is their only Division 1 opponent this year.

Northwestern State, those poor guys. They schedule them with no mercy. Last year I remember they played Gonzaga twice. This year they have Oklahoma today and Tulsa tomorrow. Those guys are going to be exhausted come Wednesday. I understand they school wants to make money but I really do feel that they health of the student athlete should matter at that point. Alcorn State is in a similar situation. They have Washington State today and Seattle University tomorrow. Give them at least one day of rest.

I will try to add some commentary to each of the postings. I am not a reporter or a beat writer but I figure I should have some substance to my meanderings.

There are 17 games today all game times are Central Time. We have 2 ranked teams on the schedule for the day and they are both out of the American in Memphis and Houston. I still don’t understand why Memphis is ranked ahead of Houston. Just boggles my mind.

If you want to know what transfers came to or out of the American then please check out the thread titled “Transfer Portal” and at the end I have the latest and greatest of the comings and goings of personnel.

personnel.

Alcorn329atWashington St.842:00 p.m.PAC12
Bethune-CookmanNo RatingatSouth Fla.2004:00 p.m.ESPN+
Southern Ill.207atLittle Rock2215:00 p.m.ESPN +
Boston U.204atRhode Island1126:00 p.m.
Evansville230atCincinnati1216:00 p.m.ESPN+
South Carolina St.345atEast Carolina1756:00 p.m.ESPN+
Northwestern St.308atOklahoma367:00 p.m.
McNeese336atSMU597:00 p.m.ESPN+
Tennessee Tech316at#12 Memphis357:00 p.m.ESPN+
Hofstra162at#15 Houston57:00 p.m.ESPN+
Southeastern La.330atTulane1587:00 p.m.ESPN+
Jacksonville St.156atWichita St.707:00 p.m.ESPN+
Oklahoma ChristianDiv. IIatNorth Texas557:30 p.m.
Utah Valley206atBoise St538:00 p.m.
Oral Roberts125atColorado St.638:30 p.m.

Memphis added two NBA lottery picks late in the summer. No other college team has two.

Reactions: loca2874
Memphis added two NBA lottery picks late in the summer. No other college team has two.
Thanks for the information. I haven't done a "workup" of Memphis yet but using past seasons as reference, Houston has been the better team even when Memphis had Wiseman, I still believe Houston had the better team. It will all come out in the wash though to see who are contenders or pretenders.

Thanks for the information. I haven't done a "workup" of Memphis yet but using past seasons as reference, Houston has been the better team even when Memphis had Wiseman, I still believe Houston had the better team. It will all come out in the wash though to see who are contenders or pretenders.
Add to that that Houston has an outstanding coaching staff, and Memphis has Penny and your point is clearly validated.

Penny... the Phillip Montgomery of basketball
Monty and crew can develop talent at a very high level from kids other people don't want. That's a huge strength of his and his staffs of he past seven years. However, unlike Penny, he's a bit too stubborn to bring in someone (an offensive coordinator) to help him be a better coach. Monty knows the game, is a likeable guy, can develop talent that others don't see, and when it's his only focus he can manage an offense that really clicks (Baylor). Penny can seemingly bring in top tier talent and get the least out of it and bring in the dirtiest assistant coaches to try and fool everyone into thinking he knows what the hell he's doing. Unfortunately for him were not that stupid and realize whatever success they have this year will be due solely to having Larry "NCAA Infractions Magnet" Brown wiping his rear.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Really weird schedule for games that aren't part of a tournament or a multi team event
They did that last year. This was part of their insane schedule

Dec 18- @Tulsa
Dec 19- @Missouri State
Dec 21- @Gonzaga
Dec 22- @Gonzaga
Dec 23- @Washington State

this is what they do

Washington state beat Alcorn state 85-67.
South Florida and Bethune-Cookman are tied 29 a piece at half

Hate to root against Houston and Wichita since we need their ratings but they are really struggling. Memphis looks good.

Jacksonville State usually has a pretty good team and upsets someone this time of year. T

Ok the Houston commercial is dumb as hell. That chick stand in Times Square saying good house gonna get beaned by NYPD.

Houston wins it in overtime by 8. They need to fix themselves or Virginia and Butler will destroy them.

The AAC teams all pulled them out but there were some nail biters. The Wichita fans had to be holding their breath when Etienne put that shot up from closer to mid court than the arc.

The AAC teams all pulled them out but there were some nail biters. The Wichita fans had to be holding their breath when Etienne put that shot up from closer to mid court than the arc.
All really good stuff.....Thanks, guys.......Houston and Wichita off to slower than expected starts, but
strange things happen on opening night.....
Looking forward to our game.....I will prob. spend the first 10 minutes identifying the new players....
Haith does show you all of his players in the first two or three games.....That has been more of
a curse than a blessing win/loss wise......

If Haywood and KES average over 18 minutes each for the first three games, it means we will lose
some of our freshmen guards after the season.....They will have gone through the same process as Shumate/Williams from last season.....

Last edited:
All really good stuff.....Thanks, guys.......Houston and Wichita off to slower than expected starts, but
strange things happen on opening night.....
Looking forward to our game.....I will prob. spend the first 10 minutes identifying the new players....
Haith, does show you all of his players in the first two or three games.....That has been more of
a curse than a blessing win/loss wise......

If Haywood and KES average over 18 minutes each for the first three games, it means we will lose
some of our freshmen guards after the season.....They will have gone through the same process as Shumate/Williams from last season.....
KES and Haywood will probably get a lot of minutes and he might start the same 5 he did against Northeastern. Haywood is a Sr. so I don’t think we will have the same issue holding players this year like we did last year. Horne and Jackson are both Graduate players and NCAA isn’t giving out anymore of them eligibility years like they did for this year. I am pretty sure the transfer portal will be significantly less going into next year.

That said the younger players know that if they don’t get a ton of playing time this year they will in the future. I think we will be fine. I am looking forward to seeing Sam Griffin play.

Reactions: seniorgolfer
CSU is the preseason pick to win the MWC.
And ORU never played any defense last season. They just hoped they could put score you. They're going to struggle inside and on the boards. Teams need to force the ball out of Absmas' hands and that should be enough to win the game

KES and Haywood will probably get a lot of minutes and he might start the same 5 he did against Northeastern. Haywood is a Sr. so I don’t think we will have the same issue holding players this year like we did last year. Horne and Jackson are both Graduate players and NCAA isn’t giving out anymore of them eligibility years like they did for this year. I am pretty sure the transfer portal will be significantly less going into next year.

That said the younger players know that if they don’t get a ton of playing time this year they will in the future. I think we will be fine. I am looking forward to seeing Sam Griffin play.
Haywood is actually a tough defender on the perimeter or one of the edges in the zone. He's a lot like Tim Peete in that regard. He might even provide some leadership.

KES has one of those mental blocks. There is a good player in there but his decision making needs to be a lot better. And if coaches talked to him about playing in the context of the system, he might overthink things and not take any shots, even the ones he should be taking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT