ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

He will be a little easier to keep our NIL competitive with on those that might be trying to lure him away. The further away from Haggerty declaring the portal, the better I'll feel. Another 7-10 days without him declaring will make me a little more secure that he won't declare. The last day you can declare is May 1, but I'll be more at ease if he hasn't declared by April 15.

Haggerty is already gone, unless he changed his mind.
Are you talking about Archie or someone else?

... feels a little more comfortable sticking around.

He will be a little easier to keep our NIL competitive with, on those that might be trying to lure him away. The further away from Haggerty ...

Not sure Archie showed enough to command the type of money to lure him away from TU…..hopefully.
Maybe that's why Konkol held him back a little this year.

Haggerty is already gone, unless he changed his mind.
Are you talking about Archie or someone else?
Earning a college degree means absolutely nothing to some of these kids
who have their "hand out" for money . Its all about instant gratification
where they want sunshine pumped up their butts along with the illusion
that they will be in the NBA . Amateurism in college football. and
basketball has become a thing of the past and unless this nonsense portal
dilemma is reversed or diminished mid-major schools will be on 2nd tier
status . Words like integrity , loyalty and class are not in these kids
vocabulary or mindset , so if they don't care about TU then adios and take out the trash
when you leave .

Reactions: dougheffking
vocabulary or mindset , so if they don't care about TU then adios and take out the trash
when you leave .
100%. I've lost all respect for Haggerty and the way he handled this. To say your teammates are your brother and to leave for a conference rival with a BAD coach is ridiculous. It would at least have made sense if he went P5 or to an actual step up. I hope he gets the crap bood out of him when he comes back...such a pansy he is.

Reactions: drboobay
Pat Jones was just talking about Haggerty. He said what Haggerty did and being able to play immediately and the whole situation in college football and basketball is Nutsville.
Even if you don't care for Jones, he's right in my opinion.
Pat Jones just goes on the radio everyday and talks about how bad college sports are. It’s the same doom and gloom every day. Not sure why anyone listens.

100%. I've lost all respect for Haggerty and the way he handled this. To say your teammates are your brother and to leave for a conference rival with a BAD coach is ridiculous. It would at least have made sense if he went P5 or to an actual step up. I hope he gets the crap bood out of him when he comes back...such a pansy he is.
You lose all respect for a player or coach as soon as they leave TU or are fired/asked to leave TU. You didn't want to see one post about any player that left TU this past year. There was no reason to be that way about players like Nikita or Knight. I can't imagine a way any player could find to leave TU, that you would have any respect for them. I'm not saying I agree with the way Haggerty did things. I just can't imagine anyone who u would be ok with their method.

I still claim or would claim certain players if they found success somewhere else. Nikita, Knight, Chukwu, Schumate, etc. I was happy for Meinhard when he was successful at South Carolina. Would I have been happier that they found that success here, of course I would. I don't think you've ever asked yourself if you have ever been happy with someone transferring, and finding success elsewhere. As soon as they leave, they become the enemy.

The only ones I've ever seen you claim were ex coaches like Cooper, Nolan, Self, Tubby, etc. I'm betting it was a while before you claimed them.

You lose all respect for a player or coach as soon as they leave TU or are fired/asked to leave TU. You didn't want to see one post about any player that left TU this past year. There was no reason to be that way about players like Nikita or Knight. I can't imagine a way any player could find to leave TU, that you would have any respect for them. I'm not saying I agree with the way Haggerty did things. I just can't imagine anyone who u would be ok with their method.

I still claim or would claim certain players if they found success somewhere else. Nikita, Knight, Chukwu, Schumate, etc. I was happy for Meinhard when he was successful at South Carolina. Would I have been happier that they found that success here, of course I would. I don't think you've ever asked yourself if you have ever been happy with someone transferring, and finding success elsewhere. As soon as they leave, they become the enemy.

The only ones I've ever seen you claim were ex coaches like Cooper, Nolan, Self, Tubby, etc. I'm betting it was a while before you claimed them.
Your condescending attitude needs to stop.

Transferring to an in conference rival after clearly being tampered with...purely for money. Yes, I have no respect for him anymore.

The other guys? Sure I wish them well, I hold nothing against them at all. But please tell me how I think.

Transferring to an in conference rival after clearly being tampered with...purely for money. Yes, I have no respect for him anymore.

The other guys? Sure I wish them well, I hold nothing against them at all. But please tell me how I think.
I wasn't criticizing your opinion of how Haggerty handled it. I was just pointing out that your opinion of everybody else who left pointed towards you having a somewhat similar opinion of all players and coaches leaving TU.

The things you said when people posted about past players pointed to a different opinion than what you are stating right now. I'm too lazy to care about going back and finding quotes.

And lying to everyone.

Reactions: dougheffking
Let me add that when you remove a player like him the dynamics on the floor change.

Don't assume we would have been a five win team without him.

Let me add that when you remove a player like him the dynamics on the floor change.

My guess is our next guy coming in will be less ball dominant than Haggerty and the ball movement will increase. I also expect our inside game will be MUCH better.

Reactions: dlsnid and drboobay
And lying to everyone.
Fake opinion, alternate truth.

He covered his butt, so he didn't need to come back to a coach who wouldn't let him return, if negotiations failed to yield what he thought he wanted. He probably had these plans in mind as soon as conference season was about to get underway. My guess is his lie was an old one.

Normally I would agree with you on this. Except for the present situation of us having been so young and inexperienced, I have trouble seeing how it would have gone another direction. I can see how it might have been, but I just don't see how the chances were very good. We needed him this year. He played with assurance & confidence that we didn't have elsewhere.

Next year, with a few good additions, I think we can be as good or better. I don't think we will be that hard pressed to make up his points.

Haggarty was a ball hog , he was good , but he was definitely over rated , he was always about himself , he will go with the other blowhards to Memphis and they will do their traditional “ start good and then suck as the season progresses “ because all of those guys are not team players

Reactions: Larry Lewis
Haggerty has gone from destined to be one of the all time great TU players to a ball hog, overrated, and selfish in the span of a few days :).

It’s fine to hate on the kid but the fact is he had one of the best freshman years in school history. He’s the same player he was a month ago when we were all enamored with his play. He’s certainly not the same quality of person now but he’s still an extremely talented and effective basketball player. All that said, here’s to hoping he and Penny fail miserably next season.

Haggerty has gone from destined to be one of the all time great TU players to a ball hog, overrated, and selfish in the span of a few days :).

It’s fine to hate on the kid but the fact is he had one of the best freshman years in school history. He’s the same player he was a month ago when we were all enamored with his play. He’s certainly not the same quality of person now but he’s still an extremely talented and effective basketball player. All that said, here’s to hoping he and Penny fail miserably next season.
Hey man , got to keep everyone calm somehow 😂

Reactions: lawpoke87
Man, NIL money has totally changed college athletics, and not for the better. If it’s true that PJ is getting $500k+, then I can’t find it in my heart to fault him for leaving, even though I hate it for TU and for coach Konkol. That’s a life-changing amount of money if you are responsible with it.

I blame the people who are responsible for creating the incentive structure more than the young men and women who are trying to navigate it.

Man, NIL money has totally changed college athletics, and not for the better. If it’s true that PJ is getting $500k+, then I can’t find it in my heart to fault him for leaving, even though I hate it for TU and for coach Konkol. That’s a life-changing amount of money if you are responsible with it.

I blame the people who are responsible for creating the incentive structure more than the young men and women who are trying to navigate it.
I don’t think people fault him for taking life changing money, I think they fault him for how he went about it.

But to your point, yes - ncaa football and basketball have been ruined and I’m not sure there’s an easy way to fix it… or if enough people even want to fix it.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW and TUMU
The NIL money Haggerty gets from Memphis will be the most money he will ever make playing basketball.

I think you just made a pretty good argument for him to take it. Maybe he’ll waste it, but for a smart kid 700K starting out can put you on a really good path

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC

I was never all that enamored with him, but I think getting as upset as some people are at a kid for making what is clearly a smart decision for himself is kind of hilarious

I don’t think people fault him for taking life changing money, I think they fault him for how he went about it.

But to your point, yes - ncaa football and basketball have been ruined and I’m not sure there’s an easy way to fix it… or if enough people even want to fix it.
I’m not connected enough to know anything about how he went about it, but I know there are incentive structures at play in that regard as well.

It’s not smart to burn bridges in Tulsa until the ink is dry in Memphis.

So FIFA, the world's governing body for soccer, has 3 transfer windows during the year. Teams from around the globe can speak with player's agents and offer them a new contract BUT they also have to negotiate with the team that currently holds that player's contract for a transfer fee. Some of those transfer fees can be 100M Euros or more. I think Pulisic was bought by Chelsea from Dortmund for $50M or so. Most of the MLS guys are going for $10M or so, some higher, some lower depending on how bad teams want them. And like many sides, the teams try to hold out for the best offer. Take for instance Kylian Mbappe who plays at PSG in France. He has long wanted to play for Real Madrid in Spain sort of like the Yankees of world wide club soccer. He's been trying to transfer for 2 yrs now and PSG wants some ungodly transfer fee ($500M) which Real refused. So now, Mbappe's contract runs out at the end of the current Ligue Un season and he will join Real over the summer on a "free" transfer and negotiate a new player contract with them. Now transfers can be triggered automatically by the player by terms in their contract, play so many years on the current contract and the offering club meets a pre-determined transfer fee (like buyout fees for coaching contracts that decrease over time). And some clubs won't put those triggered transfer clauses in contracts. The Saudi league has been trying to trigger Mo Salah's transfer from Liverpool for obvious reasons. They want a super high profile world super star who is a Muslim playing in their league. Salah and Liverpool have rebuffed the advances so far and I'm not sure Salah actually wants to leave (different story for a different thread). So some teams cans make tons of $ from developing players and selling them in transfers. Dortmund in Germany has been exceptionally good at this. They've sold some of the big stars in the game for a crap ton of $ over the years. Pulisic, Jude Bellingham, Erling Haaland and many many others.

It works for smaller clubs because it gives them some cash flow. It's better than MLB trades because usually the selling team only gets some prospects which may or may not work out and not any more $ (significant enough to buy a new player that can help).
Mostly true. You left off “sale on” clauses where discovery teams agree to a share of a future transfer fee with a player’s existing club when sold to an even larger club. For instance, Everton likes a 16 year old player at Luton Town that Luton doesn’t rate. They agree to buy him at £10,000 but if Everton sell him on to Chelsea or a huge club over a set price, say £1 million, then they owe a flat fee or a percentage of the transfer fee to Luton if the player makes it big. That way the club that actually invested in the player gets a piece of the windfall, not just the bigger club that had better playing time to offer but no developed players themselves. So it would be like PJ leaving TU for OSU and them cutting us a check for $20,000 and then they would have to pay PJ whatever. But if PJ played great at OSU and KU signed him the following year, KU would pay OSU a bigger check and TU would get a portion
of that, say 20%.

More clubs make more off sale ons at the end of the day than they do straight up transfer profits, as Chelsea, nearly in administration several times, can woefully attest.

MLS struggles to sign players in Europe because of extraordinarily high sale on terms and even the right to recall in some cases. That’s why so many Americans go on a free. They go to Europe cheap or they can’t go.

Reactions: TU_BLA

Meinhard went to Clemson, which has a long history of sending US players to Europe. He played a key role on a team that won a national championship. He graduated from TU with honors and left one of the most prolific players in program history. He’s a poster boy for modern college sports done right. TU will give you a little money on the front end if you hit the books, give you a valuable degree to cover you on the back end, and if you’ve got talent, we will get you ready to show it on much bigger stages where you’ll get your pay off.

He lied. Plain and simple. Deception right to peoples' faces.

I am consistent on this matter. Kragthorpe lied to my dad the actual night before he left for Louisville. The night before!

Damned shame he is being inducted into our HOF but I guess time heals.

I can think of a lot of falsehoods I’d tell for several million dollars, which is what that money is worth, properly invested. I can also think of a lot of priests who would absolve me of those lies for 10%.

There really isn’t any ethics when it comes to this money and I have no idea how I would react.

In February, we envisioned Haggerty's jersey in the rafters with Shea's.

In April, he's another Jordan Clarkson. A Diva Diver.

Perhaps "Amie" had his hand in this. A word to the wise "Peej." Don't let too many "friends and relatives" get their hands on your stack.

We do not have a large enough amount of Tulsa fans that will throw $5,000.00 a year at NIL every year and probably need to increase that amount 10% every year. On top of what most are already giving to Champions Fund or the other programs already in place.
Or, unless there are 10 or more big money people willing to start throwing a minimum $100,000 NIL each year and adding 10% on top of that every year, we aren't going to keep our players who win awards like Haggerty won throughout the year and at the end of the year.
While I applaud what Wilson seems to have signed without NIL money, will he be able to keep them here when they have a successful season and big NIL money is offered? I sure hope he does.
Currently the college football and basketball system is broken for a large amount of schools.

Last edited:
I guess I still don't know exactly what nil actually means. When it was first announced I thought it just meant players can now make money from autographs or if someone wants to hire them to promote their business, or to appear in the video game, you know, name image likeness. Not really sure how just buying players for a flat rate falls under any of that. Maybe someone can explain exactly what it means.

Reactions: TUMU
I guess I still don't know exactly what nil actually means. When it was first announced I thought it just meant players can now make money from autographs or if someone wants to hire them to promote their business, or to appear in the video game, you know, name image likeness. Not really sure how just buying players for a flat rate falls under any of that. Maybe someone can explain exactly what it means.
No you’re right - that’s what NIL was SUPPOSED to be. However since there were very little (none) rules or guardrails put in place with it, it immediately just turned into pay for play.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
when you leave .
Nolan said it best in 2001...

Reactions: HuffyCane
No you’re right - that’s what NIL was SUPPOSED to be. However since there were very little (none) rules or guardrails put in place with it, it immediately just turned into pay for play.
Ok thanks, just making sure I wasnt going crazy. Feel like it's a pretty simple fix in that case. Set the rules in place, you dint just get money for going to a team, if the opportunity arises where a company wants to hire you or whatever, then go for it, but the school pays nothing and you get nothing until those circumstances happen. How is that so hard to implement. It's literally just how it used to be but instead of getting in trouble for accepting money from businesses, you won't

Haggarty was a ball hog , he was good , but he was definitely over rated , he was always about himself , he will go with the other blowhards to Memphis and they will do their traditional “ start good and then suck as the season progresses “ because all of those guys are not team players
Totally disagree with this. Haggerty not only scored a lot of points but was often our assist leader too. He’s a great player that we’ll really miss. He won’t put up the numbers at Memphis that he did here because they do tend to have a bunch of ball hogs there. If Jones stays I think there will be a lot of friction there.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Haggerty is not a real good 3 point shooter he got better as the year went on but he better get the money now because the NBA will expect better 3 point shooting

I have never said to anyone "I am staying" at my job. Not that there is a prospect of somebody offering me 600k.

A guy just turned down a job offer from me after regularly inquiring and me going out on a limb for him. Maybe it was for a little more money. I don't hate him or anything but if folks inquire professionally he is not getting a positive statement from me. There are definitely ethics when it comes to money.
I can think of a lot of falsehoods I’d tell for several million dollars, which is what that money is worth, properly invested. I can also think of a lot of priests who would absolve me of those lies for 10%.

There really isn’t any ethics when it comes to this money and I have no idea how I would react.

Last edited:
On a plane and my edit button won't work so let me add to my comment.

Maybe a better way to say it is trust. You need to have trust in a relationship, including a business relationship. Trust means being open and respectful in your communications. It means that when you are asking for favors that others help you acquire, you don't turn around and change direction based on self interest - particularly without an apology and an explanation.

I only want to work with people I can trust in terms of their intentions and then competence. You have nothing but your reputation in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUMU
Totally disagree with this. Haggerty not only scored a lot of points but was often our assist leader too. He’s a great player that we’ll really miss. He won’t put up the numbers at Memphis that he did here because they do tend to have a bunch of ball hogs there. If Jones stays I think there will be a lot of friction there.
He is a great player no doubt, however, going to Memphis to play with the other ball hogs will not help his stats at all , im not going to crucify someone for going to help their financial situation in life , there is ZERO loyalty in sports anymore anyway. As high as college tuition is now , you would think that would be enough to get kids to stay at one school with a scholarship , paying kids millions to play a game is insane and just shows how screwed our society’s thinking is .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT