ADVERTISEMENT

WSU vs TU game Thread

Looks like 3 straight years without any postseason. Yeah I’d say we got our man.

Marshall is a very good coach. Give him our roster in October & we would be 10 points per game better.

Wichita’s worst team in years. ...............
And that’s why I am so sad
Tulsa will only lose more ground to the upper half of this conf the way the program has been run under Haith

It ain’t getting any better
It’s getting worse

So I guess the consensus is that Haith's contract should not be extended?

He was "bent over" by Marshall tonight.

Reactions: eastcane
let's not overly praise Marshall - WSU's fans hate him and their record is 13-12 6-7 in the league. Hardly a genius coach.

WSU fans hate him? Am I missing the joke?
Wichita State literally lost 12 players from last year’s team. WSU fans would have to be delusional to not expect a down year when that occurs. Marshall is easily the best coach in our conference. A fan base has no right to blame a coach that has brought them to a final four

let's not overly praise Marshall - WSU's fans hate him and their record is 13-12 6-7 in the league. Hardly a genius coach.

Marshall has won ten NCAA tourney games since 2013. TU has won twelve NCAA tourney games in our history.

Wichita State literally lost 12 players from last year’s team. WSU fans would have to be delusional to not expect a down year when that occurs. Marshall is easily the best coach in our conference. A fan base has no right to blame a coach that has brought them to a final four

The WSU fans sitting around me tonight weren’t the brightest crew that’s ever visited the Reynolds Center...

So I guess the consensus is that Haith's contract should not be extended?

He was "bent over" by Marshall tonight.
Frank is like Monty, it’s been clear for quite a while that he isn’t the answer. Issue is just when can we get rid of him and have enough resources and good enough situation to get a good replacement. We don’t want to end up with a bargain basement scrub replacement.

Frank is like Monty, it’s been clear for quite a while that he isn’t the answer. Issue is just when can we get rid of him and have enough resources and good enough situation to get a good replacement. We don’t want to end up with a bargain basement scrub replacement.
Frank is at least mediocre and can field a semi-competitive team. Montgomery has been fielding garbage teams the past 2 years. Can barely scrape out 2-3 wins a year .Haith has us at mediocre at best. It is a disservice and insult to Frank Haith to compare him to Philip Montgomery

We don’t want to end up with a bargain basement scrub replacement.

This is one of my main concerns... I’m not in love with Frank or the results he’s produced at all, but TU will likely swing the pendulum way too far in the opposite direction (when/if we move on from frank). Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy.

This is one of my main concerns... I’m not in love with Frank or the results he’s produced at all, but TU will likely swing the pendulum way too far in the opposite direction (when/if we move on from frank). Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy.
In all honesty, there are plenty of talented coaches out there that could be had for pennies on the dollar. The hard part is finding them and retaining them when they do well.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
In all honesty, there are plenty of talented coaches out there that could be had for pennies on the dollar. The hard part is finding them and retaining them when they do well.
But to be clear, it’s really, really hard to find that great overlooked gem. And our track record in recent years has been pretty dismal. What was our last good hire in major sports? Todd Graham? I suspect we’d be more likely to end up with a John Phillips clone. That’s why I think moving on from the current AD is the first job.

Frank is at least mediocre and can field a semi-competitive team. Montgomery has been fielding garbage teams the past 2 years. Can barely scrape out 2-3 wins a year .Haith has us at mediocre at best. It is a disservice and insult to Frank Haith to compare him to Philip Montgomery
They’re both not good enough. Whether they’re moderately not good enough or a lot not good enough doesn’t really matter to me. It’s like debating whether this guy is more dead than that guy. Neither is going home so who cares?

Reactions: ctt8410
But to be clear, it’s really, really hard to find that great overlooked gem. And our track record in recent years has been pretty dismal. What was our last good hire in major sports? Todd Graham? I suspect we’d be more likely to end up with a John Phillips clone. That’s why I think moving on from the current AD is the first job.

Oh yea. Gragg must go. He’s an embarrassment.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Clancy was making the rounds last night going from big donor to big donor. He is much more active in that regard than Gragg.

Seriously, it’s OK to play a different defense.
Yes it is.....That's assuming you are athletic enough and quick
enough..AND...Have a couple of 'bigs' strong enough and big
enough to defend the post one-on-one against the post players
in the AAC....

Somehow, that doesn't sound like us...We would probably be
digging ourselves a deeper hole!:dig:

Not sure how Manning would have turned out had he stayed. He had some recruiting issues certainly, and I acknowledge that he didn't do well at a tougher gig in the ACC... but he did have his guys rolling at the end of the season during his second year. Enough to entice Haith to jump ship, thinking that there was a team in place he could win with (like he did at Mizzou).

Not sure how Manning would have turned out had he stayed. He had some recruiting issues certainly, and I acknowledge that he didn't do well at a tougher gig in the ACC... but he did have his guys rolling at the end of the season during his second year. Enough to entice Haith to jump ship, thinking that there was a team in place he could win with (like he did at Mizzou).
Personally I think Danny and Frank are about the same level, along with Wojick who’s a smidge worse but not much. Definitely not a Tubby or Self. Or even a Steve Kragthorpe to mix apples and oranges. They’re all three a whole big level below what we need. But just my 2 cents.

Personally I think Danny and Frank are about the same level, along with Wojick who’s a smidge worse but not much. Definitely not a Tubby or Self. Or even a Steve Kragthorpe to mix apples and oranges. They’re all three a whole big level below what we need. But just my 2 cents.
I think part of the problem might be that it’s been quite some time since we’ve hired a coach who was on the rise as a HC from another program. Haith was in decline at Missouri. The only other time we’ve done so recently was graham. The others all seemed to be high level assistants or program insiders. Guys like Gramam or Self or Richardson who take prove they can squeeze water from stones at low tier programs like UTEP, Rice, or ORU should be who we pursue.

Gregg Marshall is another example of this. He had tons of success at Winthrop before he set foot in Kansas.

Last edited:
Frank's won-loss record at TU is about 60%. By now we know what to expect from him in the future. Win just enough to be a little over .500, but not enough to ever go partying anywhere.

Saw Utah Valley State play Arizona this year. UVS looked better than Az, and was well coached.

Maybe worth a look.

Frank's won-loss record at TU is about 60%. By now we know what to expect from him in the future. Win just enough to be a little over .500, but not enough to ever go partying anywhere.
In the NBA, that's when teams decide to blow up their teams and tank for quality young pieces. Maybe we should blow it up? I'm not sure I'm happy with .600 basketball year after year. It gives me nothing to get excited about.

Frank’s career record over 14.5 seasons as a head coach is 60.8%. So I think you’re absolutely right, we know what we’re goung to get.

Results from 2005-present have been mediocre. The two NCAA appearances were flukes or micacles whatever you want to call them. Woodard and Shaq Beat La Tech without Memphis in C -USA but everybody knew the NCAA was one and done. And the other was solely based on the SMU win and we stunk in the play in game.

At least the Nolan teams, the Tubby teams and the Robinson teams, and even the two Phillips teams gave us reason to travel to the NCAA tournament to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT