ADVERTISEMENT

Washington

Washington drills Mountain West favorite Boise State 56-19. Combine that with OU’s 73-0 blowout over Arkansas State & Northern Illinois beating Boston College and TU definitely has a very tough non-conference schedule!

Watched him at indiana. Before he tore up his knee he looked like first round material.
He will be tough to deal with. Avoiding using his name so no spell check

His receivers are top notch also. Announcers stated their receiving corps was among the best in the country.

Also, their DB’s cover extremely well too. It’s going to be a really tough game.

Frankly I think Washington crushing Boise State is the best outcome for Wilson and his staff. They should have zero problems coaching up the kids and having them ready. Also, if your Wilson, I don't think you want Washington to play poorly out of the gate , giving the Husky coaches additional motivation for a big rebound.

If your TU, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain and I hope Wilson and staff coach aggressively to win and not to lose. If Washington is going to have an early season let down it will be vs TU, coming off a big win over Boise State and having a big game at Michigan State the following week. Washington destroyed Boise State in the 2nd and 4th quarters by a score of 49-6. That indicates to me they do well coordinating and executing in-game adjustments on offense.

TX

Reactions: TULSARISING
His receivers are top notch also. Announcers stated their receiving corps was among the best in the country.

Also, their DB’s cover extremely well too. It’s going to be a really tough game.

Indeed, likely tougher than the OU game from a talent and match up perspective. From my understanding, Washington is a serious favorite to win the PAC-12 and candidate to make a run at the CFP.

TX

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I really hope that TU doesn't give Washington a short field right out of the gate. Try to establish the run and if it doesn't work let our new punter pin them on their side of the field. Let our guys get the jitters out before throwing in to traffic or bobbling a hand off. TU's history as of late is giving up cheap points and it will kill us at Washington.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
Huffy tried to warn me about Wash's receivers, but didn't mention the guy who gets the ball to them. Wow! Let's hope our back line has improved this week and has their stuff together & Ostroski, Kopinski & Co. get some pressure on Pinix. I don't recall a sack by Boise.

Reactions: HuffyCane
We have the Non con sked that P5 teams run from...
I think that should really make it evident to folks that we are making things more difficult on ourselves than we should be. It seems like every 3-5 years we get one of these murderers row type schedules which just make having success nearly impossible.

I think that should really make it evident to folks that we are making things more difficult on ourselves than we should be. It seems like every 3-5 years we get one of these murderers row type schedules which just make having success nearly impossible.
These games are generally scheduled far in advance and you never know how good the opponent will be that year. OU and OSU giving us return home games are critical financially. So is playing name teams on the road. Going into Texas, Ohio State and other places and having a chance to win builds confidence. Having a coach who goes to those venues and coaches like he expects us to win can be the difference between close and winning. I have a feeling that we have a coach that will take that approach. It may not happen this weekend but I suspect it will during his tenure.

These games are generally scheduled far in advance and you never know how good the opponent will be that year. OU and OSU giving us return home games are critical financially. So is playing name teams on the road. Going into Texas, Ohio State and other places and having a chance to win builds confidence. Having a coach who goes to those venues and coaches like he expects us to win can be the difference between close and winning. I have a feeling that we have a coach that will take that approach. It may not happen this weekend but I suspect it will during his tenure.
Very well said.

Kids want to go to the pros. They want tape against the best schools. You tell a kid he’s only going to get 4 quality games for his whole career, maybe only 1 or 2 where he will get meaningful minutes in, and he will look elsewhere. There’s lots of reasons these games are signed in advance, but one of them is recruiting. You can sit in the living room and say come to Tulsa and you’ll play against OU, OSU, Ohio State, Washington, Arkansas, plus you’ll see your family at least twice in games at (Houston, Dallas). Or you can go to other schools, like Aston University, and play for cupcakes the pros don’t care about.

Playing against elite teams early makes slightly slower teams even slower. No better way to build confidence in a QB going into conference play than for him to see his good stats against OU, get a few quick completions for him against a depleted Temple, and have him take over. You roll through a season to a bowl that way.

And finally, you need paycheck games to pay for extensions if times are good, or buyouts when you make crappy coaching hires and your basketball team can’t even sell discount beer.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
That's a very conventional perspective. It may result in a much needed short-term pay day.... but it comes at the cost of a whole lot of things, most importantly.... building a fanbase. (Something that should ultimately lead to bigger paydays if it's sustained)

Last I checked.... status quo has been kicking our asses when it comes to realignment as of late.

I'm looking back at the schedules of some of the schools that have actually made a leap, and yes they did play some hard non-conference games eventually, but it was usually 1 (at most 2) per season, and they filled the rest with bottom feeder P5's.

TCU in the mid 2000's repeatedly kicked the crap out of Baylor and Stanford teams that were in the midst of terrible losing streaks. They occasionally played a really good Oklahoma or a High Flying (at the time) Texas Tech.

Louisville had a ton of success by asking themselves.... which of these programs are "basketball schools" during their non-con scheduling? In order to guarantee their ascendance from the dying Big East to the Big 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
That's a very conventional perspective. It may result in a much needed short-term pay day.... but it comes at the cost of a whole lot of things, most importantly.... building a fanbase. (Something that should ultimately lead to bigger paydays if it's sustained)

Last I checked.... status quo has been kicking our asses when it comes to realignment as of late.

I'm looking back at the schedules of some of the schools that have actually made a leap, and yes they did play some hard non-conference games eventually, but it was usually 1 (at most 2) per season, and they filled the rest with bottom feeder P5's.

TCU in the mid 2000's repeatedly kicked the crap out of Baylor and Stanford teams that were in the midst of terrible losing streaks. They occasionally played a really good Oklahoma or a High Flying (at the time) Texas Tech.

Louisville had a ton of success by asking themselves.... which of these programs are "basketball schools" during their non-con scheduling? In order to guarantee their ascendance from the dying Big East to the Big 10.
The problem is getting those low tier P5's to play us. They don't really benefit, bc they don't get a powder puff opponent (most years anyway), they might actually lose, and they'll pay for it. Whereas the Ohio State/UW/Ole Miss types view us as that powder puff being paid to lose.

But I agree with your sentiment.

Louisville had a ton of success by asking themselves.... which of these programs are "basketball schools" during their non-con scheduling? In order to guarantee their ascendance from the dying Big East to the Big 10 ACC.

Kids want to go to the pros. They want tape against the best schools. You tell a kid he’s only going to get 4 quality games for his whole career, maybe only 1 or 2 where he will get meaningful minutes in, and he will look elsewhere. There’s lots of reasons these games are signed in advance, but one of them is recruiting. You can sit in the living room and say come to Tulsa and you’ll play against OU, OSU, Ohio State, Washington, Arkansas, plus you’ll see your family at least twice in games at (Houston, Dallas). Or you can go to other schools, like Aston University, and play for cupcakes the pros don’t care about.

Playing against elite teams early makes slightly slower teams even slower. No better way to build confidence in a QB going into conference play than for him to see his good stats against OU, get a few quick completions for him against a depleted Temple, and have him take over. You roll through a season to a bowl that way.

And finally, you need paycheck games to pay for extensions if times are good, or buyouts when you make crappy coaching hires and your basketball team can’t even sell discount beer.
It looks like the Washington game will be our last 1 and done contract for a while. Our next opening for a non-conference road game is in 2028. The non-con schedule is almost booked solid for the next several years.

The only things we’ve booked lately is the 1-1 with Sam Houston.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It looks like the Washington game will be our last 1 and done contract for a while. Our next opening for a non-conference road game is in 2028. The non-con schedule is almost booked solid for the next several years.

The only things we’ve booked lately is the 1-1 with Sam Houston.

Who got booked into the last spot in 2025? All I've seen was @OSU, La Tech, & @Army.

Who got booked into the last spot in 2025? All I've seen was @OSU, La Tech, & @Army.
That’s one of the very few slots still open. It will likely go to an FCS opponent unless we can find someone willing to play a 1-1 here first with the return game at least 3 years later.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2028 game at Louisiana eventually gets cancelled as it has now been pushed back 9 years from the originally scheduled date. We also still owe Arkansas State a Covid makeup game but that one may never happen either.

The point is that we don’t have much room to schedule P4 opponents outside of OU, OSU and Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT