ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Season 2023

I know we have used them for practice since the Graham days. If we have them, then I'm sure 90% of other teams do as well. So it shouldn't be a big investment, the NCAA can't use that for the reason they're not used.
It’s not a function of cost. It’s a question of risk. And the scattered approval process across the ncaa and conferences.

The big hold up is two things: cost and liability. But not cost in the sense you might think.

Unlike high schools and the pros, who seek to contain costs, colleges have blank checks for competitive advantage. The debate has been over whether just the QB and a defensive player have access to the earpiece or the whole team gets them. Many coaches want the whole team wired. Some want 2 players on each side. Some want a signal caller, usually QB2 on the sideline wired too, others not at all. The debate has been endless over whether it can be recorded, who provides what, how do your verify that security, does TV get to listen in, etc.

They had them in bowl games with both teams consent for a couple of years now.

The big question is whether the listening devices impact player protection/padding and therefore lawsuit risk. The data set hasn’t been large enough until now.

SMU just made our whole conference look like frauds by losing to a mediocre (at best) Boston College team… who lost to Northern Illinois earlier this season. Geez.
I look at this loss by The Dallas University Mustangs (The DUM) as a mediocre team in big trouble in the ACC, not really a reflection of AACK! quality.

AAC’s top two teams both got rolled by mid level ACC squads. Conference was fairly mediocre this year top to bottom. We need to stop be losing schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: loca2874
Pretty cool seeing Gundy incorporate things from the Bixby offense

Was also cool to see a Bixby kid set OSU’s single game reception record.

Wait I thought the bowls were irrelevant because players are sitting out and portaling
Is “portaling” a word :). They are largely irrelevant imo. My comment was largely based on the fact the AAC is ranking behind the MWC and Sunbelt by Sagarin. Losing our highest rated school to the ACC next year wont help either.

AAC’s top two teams both got rolled by mid level ACC squads. Conference was fairly mediocre this year top to bottom. We need to stop be losing schools.
That will do it. After recent performances I dont think we are at risk of losing any more schools.

El Paso doesn’t think the bowls suck. They’ve got a huge crowd in the Sun Bowl today.

I can’t believe that people complain about getting to watch more football.
It is the structure of the postseason. Bowls are payoffs for hotel managers, cities, and MOSTLY the bowl administrators. It is the greatest job in all of sports.

No school makes money on them. But at least the kids are getting Xboxes, iPads, and lots of gear now.

I didnt know they were getting approved. that is news to me. I believe they should have been allowed to use them as soon as the NFL was.
Problem is making sure all the FBS schools can afford the tech and that it will work on both sidelines.

bowl season sucks, due to the portal.
The team that got to the bowl isnt same team playing in the bowl.
I thought about that watching part of the Sun Bowl. Get to see 2nd string from Notre Dame and 2nd string from Oregon State basically play a scrimmage that looked about the quality of August 2-a-days. It's awful. Bowls should make teams sign pledges and their payout goes down if starters opt out. They're paying for the team that played the entire regular season not these 2nd and 3rd string scout teams. And Andre Ware said it the other day that the NCAA needs to make the portal only available after the national championship is finished and it's a 3 week window and it won't reopen. If you're not in it prior to Spring practices kicking off, you're at the school you're at or moving down to FCS or lower if you want to be eligible for the next season.

Reactions: TUDog and Gmoney4WW
Watching Memphis vs Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl. The attendance seems weirdly low considering the two teams playing and knowing most Iowa State fans will do anything to get away from Iowa in the dead of winter.

Memphis is going to be a huge problem in the AAC next year. Almost every skill player is back next season including Henigan, who has admitted he had P5s asking him to enter the portal (how is this not tampering) for huge NIL, and he told his coach and is staying put in Memphis. Iowa State also has 20 starters eligible to return next year...no idea if they all will or if some of them will chase NIL $$$ at top tier P5s. Right now Memphis is up 19-7. Memphis' K is pretty awful.

Memphis up 22-13 at half. Kicker just made a 49 yd at the buzzer. Missed the FG as Iowa State was calling timeout and Campbell went ballistic because Memphis snapped the ball and took the kick anyway. Then the kicker nailed the actual one that counted. I'm not a fan of icing the kicker. Almost never works.

Memphis struggling to cover Iowa State's big TE and they've also been subject to some piss poor play calling (IMO) of their own. It actually looked like Monty might have been phoning plays in for them as they had 2 straight runs into a stacked box on 3rd and 4th and short.

Now the little trick play out of "victory" formation looking like they were going to run the half out out was something cool. Not sure why more teams don't try it to see if they can gain some yards. There were even some Memphis fans booing as it looked like they were content with a 6pt lead at half and only 35 seconds left (and a timeout in their pocket).

Reactions: loca2874
Watching Memphis vs Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl. The attendance seems weirdly low considering the two teams playing and knowing most Iowa State fans will do anything to get away from Iowa in the dead of winter.

Memphis is going to be a huge problem in the AAC next year. Almost every skill player is back next season including Henigan, who has admitted he had P5s asking him to enter the portal (how is this not tampering) for huge NIL, and he told his coach and is staying put in Memphis. Iowa State also has 20 starters eligible to return next year...no idea if they all will or if some of them will chase NIL $$$ at top tier P5s. Right now Memphis is up 19-7. Memphis' K is pretty awful.
It is tampering and the NCAA needs to get this stuff under control.

And you can still hear the cartel shootouts from the stands 😂

People crossing the border just walk right into the game, no need for a ticket, lol.
Some will hate, some will laugh.

Last edited:
Memphis beats Iowa State by 10 and holds Iowa State to 0 net rushing yards. When Iowa State beat OSU this year Iowa State managed 74 yards on the ground. ISU obviously doesn’t have much of a running game.

ISU finished tied for 4th in the 14 team Big whatever. It’s nice to see the AAC’s 4th place team beat the Big whatever’s 4th place team.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Memphis beats Iowa State by 10 and holds Iowa State to 0 net rushing yards. When Iowa State beat OSU this year Iowa State managed 74 yards on the ground. ISU obviously doesn’t have much of a running game.

ISU finished tied for 4th in the 14 team Big whatever. It’s nice to see the AAC’s 4th place team beat the Big whatever’s 4th place team.
AAC needed that win. Memphis has to be the preseason AAC favorite headed into next season. Very impressive performance by the Tigers. With the AAC departures is Memphis poised to become the dominate athletic program in the conference ?

And just to highlight the stupidity of the portal...Ohio State's starting QB portables out and has already committed to Syracuse for next season. Why? He would have been a 5th yr SR. Is Ohio State brining in a super FR that McCord would have to compete with and win the job? NCAA rules making these kids soft. I refuse to call them men until they learn something about life and have to earn something instead of this BS NIL stuff.

Auburn made a bowl? Holy crap. So, is Monty is not calling plays as the OC, does he have an actual job at Auburn? We know he's not exactly the QB whisperer

I never really noticed the writing on the back of players helmets until bowl season but have been reading them in the bowls. Some are boring like Memphis and Georgia that just say the team name. Others use team chants such as Rock Chalk for Kansas and Hotty Toddy for old Miss. others use inspirational sayings like 1pack1goal for NC State and one team used ”I Will”. Then there’s the esoteric ones such as “chop4change”.

Georgia is destroying FSU at the half 42-3.
Cue FSU excuse that most of their players opted out b/c they had nothing to play for. Well, UGA was in the same boat. Even more to show the disparity between the SEC and the ACC and it will now be even harder for FSU/Clemson/Miami to convince the SEC they can contribute to the conference and increase the value. The SEC has already said they won't add those schools with Florida and South Carolina leading the anti-expansion group. I think the SEC is going to stand pat. The B1G isn't likely to add any of those schools either. Miami might get a look but the more likely candidates are UVa and UNC because of their academic statuses (I still find it odd that as much of a positive academic reputation that UNC has, that they don't have an engineering school....especially puzzling considering they're located in the Research Triangle). I'm not sure there is going to be much movement for a while in the conference landscape with the established conferences. We might be better off looking west to the reformed PAC whatever conference and see if we can bring Memphis and Tulane with us.

Reactions: TU65alum
Maryland looked pretty good in their bowl game. Rutgers did too for that matter.
Maryland looked really good and their 2 young QBs might mean they have a chance to do something special next season in the B1G. They're not going to win the conference, but a 10 win season might be possible with the right schedule. And I really like Mike Locksley as a coach.

And Auburn sucks...they suck bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT