ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Season 2023

Uh oh, this sounds like an LEC story we all need to hear...
I tried to find it on YouTube for ya but I probably didn’t use the right search terms.

Anyhoo, there’s all these good folks watching the UTEP game on a hillside outside their stadium.

Broadcast comes back from commercial and they pan the hillside. Plain as day, there’s a chica with her hand down her hombre’s shorts!

I tried to find it on YouTube for ya but I probably didn’t use the right search terms.

Anyhoo, there’s all these good folks watching the UTEP game on a hillside outside their stadium.

Broadcast comes back from commercial and they pan the hillside. Plain as day, there’s a chica with her hand down her hombre’s shorts!
Was it Lauren Boebert?

Pretty cool listening to OSU fans talk about having a QB throw for 400 yards for the first time ever when Billy Guy Anderson threw for 500 several times for TU 60 years ago.
Three different OSU QBs have passed for over 500 yards in a game in just the past seven years. You need different OSU fans :)

Seems like the whole dang internet has been scrubbed of that video. But here's a screenshot of the commentators joking about it

mqdefault.jpg

Pretty cool listening to OSU fans talk about having a QB throw for 400 yards for the first time ever when Billy Guy Anderson threw for 500 several times for TU 60 years ago.
Brandon Weeden threw for 400 yards against us in one half of one of the most painful Tulsa football games I’ve ever attended

Reactions: Rapostman
Brandon Weeden threw for 400 yards against us in one half of one of the most painful Tulsa football games I’ve ever attended
That was against a very good Tulsa team which finished 10-3 and ranking #24 in the final AP poll. #2010. Todd Graham and Chad Morris.

That was against a very good Tulsa team which finished 10-3 and ranking #24 in the final AP poll. #2010. Todd Graham and Chad Morris.
Didn't that game also start at midnight, end about 3:30am? If it's the same game it's also the one Kinne got hurt on a late hit and TU held Justin Blackmon to under 100 yds receiving and broke his streak of like 19 games in a row with at least 100 yds receiving.

Didn't that game also start at midnight, end about 3:30am? If it's the same game it's also the one Kinne got hurt on a late hit and TU held Justin Blackmon to under 100 yds receiving and broke his streak of like 19 games in a row with at least 100 yds receiving.
The 2010 game was played in Stillwater. Weeden threw for 6 TDs. I believe the midnight game was played in Tulsa the following year (2011).

The midnight game Kinne was knocked out on a late hit very early in the game. The game in Stillwater in 2010 is maybe the most overmatched I’ve ever seen a defense.

So, in college football's quest to keep bowl games relevant and meaningful, they've become less and less meaningful to the teams and players. 3 games on right now. Citrus Bowl with Wisconsin vs LSU. Wisconsin, a very mediocre team at best, is pretty much smacking LSU in the mouth right now. LSU will claim their team didn't care and all their best players including Heisman winner opted out. Thus, irrelevant. Fiesta Bowl is Oregon vs Liberty. Liberty of course is playing all out and trying to win. Oregon's season ended with the loss in the PAC 12 championship. Bo Nix is playing but a good number of other star players for the Ducks have opted out including their Rimington Award winner. Liberty has a 7-0 lead walking through Oregon's defense like it wasn't there on drive 1. If Oregon loses the excuses will be the Ducks weren't interested in playing. Game is irrelevant. Reliaquest Bowl (maybe formerly the Blockbuster Bowl) is Tennessee vs Iowa. Iowa is the worst good team I've ever seen. Tennessee's offense has basically opted out. This game may end 10-6 and be the most irrelevant bowl game ever. I hate it for coaches. I saw Norvell trying to keep Florida State focused and engaged in the game despite getting hammered and the FSU players basically not having any interest in being there at all. There is no way to have bowl games be relevant any more, even for G5s.

Keep 11 bowl games. First 4 are the first 4 games of the playoffs. Next 4 are the quarterfinals of the playoff. New Year's Day, 2 big bowl games are the semifinals, and then play the CFP Championship game a week later. If you want 10 bowl games for G5s only, they're played in the week leading up to the playoff so that at least their fans have the chance for the bonus game/practices. Offers for bowl games go out with a clause that if more than 2 primary starters opt out then the school doesn't receive the payout from the game.

How many of Liberty's front line players who have eligibility remaining are in the portal after this game? The QB is a nice player. The WR (4) looks like he is a freaking monster

The fix is in. Pretty sure the SEC offering refs bonuses for these games. How Bama never gets called for late hits that are pretty obvious is just crazy.

Expanded playoff will help eliminate players opting out in those games.

LSU - Wisconsin actually turned out to be a very good game. Iowa - Tenn was awful….well, Iowa was awful.

Did Michigan seriously call a timeout there? The coaches weren't upset and Herbstreit didn't really talk about it.

Reactions: loca2874
Michael Penix is the best QB in college football and he should have won the Heisman. He is so ridiculously accurate with his throws. I think the Nat'l Championship is going to be a great game.
Agreed, and it will be two totally different teams

TU had a run of 3 great QB's with Rhome, Anderson, and Barton....
And Rick Arrington. The baseball team was practicing in the old gym on campus in the winter of 67-68 I believe and Arrington was throwing to a couple of receivers. His passes were on a rope and fast. He could have pitched for the BB team. Ha He started in 1969 and wasn’t as accurate as the others mentioned but had a really strong arm. I believe he got some time with the Eagles.

We sure had a string of great QB’s in the 60’s. I was friends with the late Mike Stripling and he was a good QB also. Not as great an arm as the others but more elusive and a good runner.

And we had a good run of receivers during that time with Rhome, Sweeney, Eber and Wood. I had a friend (non athlete) from St Louis and he said he chose Tulsa because of their football and what he called “The Aerial Circus”. I don’t know if that was a common description used for the Tulsa passing game or if he just made it up. Whatever, it was true.

I remember going to the Tulsa/Idaho State game in Oct 1967 when we set all kinds of passing and receiving records. I recall it didn’t matter who the QB was (either Stripling, Barton or Dobbs, they just dropped back and threw a bomb to Eber or Wood.

Here’s an except from the story on the game.

On October 7, 1967, Tulsa hosted Idaho State at Skelly Stadium and went on for a 58-0 victory. The defense had an outstanding performance for the Hurricane, but the story of the game was Golden Hurricane receivers Rick Eber and Harry Wood combining for 640 receiving yards and 6 touchdowns on 33 receptions.Eber caught 20 passes for 322 yards and 3 TDs, while Wood caught 13 passes for 318 yards and also had 3 touchdown receptions.

That record-setting performance still stands today as an NCAA FBS record.

ProfilesEngineServlet

Well we lost to the #2 team in the nation, by 33. They are probably the third best team though.

That won't happen next year. Can't see OSU upping their game that much. We won't get a weaker early OSU next year though, like we would have this year.

Well we lost to the #2 team in the nation, by 33. They are probably the third best team though.

That won't happen next year. Can't see OSU upping their game that much. We won't get a weaker early OSU next year though, like we would have this year.
….and somehow lost to SMU by 59 🤷‍♂️

4th or 5th best at best..

I could see throwing in Georgia. Michigan, Bama, Georgia, Washington/Ohio St. 5th is the lowest I could see them, not 'at best.' They are easily the 5th best. We'll see how they stack up with Ohio St next year minus Penix. Their johnson is leaving.

Last edited:
Funny story. I have a friend that I was stationed with when I was in the Army and her son, Brandyn Hillman is a defensive player for Michigan. Apparently, she did a planes, trains and automobile situation. She booked a flight form Atlanta to Houston at 11 a.m. Due to weather the flight was delayed till 3 p.m. then when they got around Houston they were not allowed to land. They diverted them to San Antonio. She then had to take a rental car from San Antonio to Houston and got to the game with 2 minutes left.

I mean really you booked a flight that day? I would have been in Houston Saturday waiting for this game if that was my kid.

I disagree with all the takes that Washington wasn't top 2-3. Michigan and Georgia I think were the only 2 teams obviously better than Washington this year. Alabama had a lot of flaws that were exposed at small moments throughout the season but they really didn't play anyone good enough to exploit those consistently (see Auburn). Washington, until the championship game, was only threatened by one other team, and that was Oregon. Washington was remarkably consistent in performance throughout the season. I think Oregon was a top 4 team with their only losses coming to....Washington, by a combined 6 pts. But the CFP would never allow a 2 loss PAC 12 team, no matter how good they were, to get into the CFP over a 1 loss Texas (whose loss was a pretty bad one IMO) or a 1 loss Bama who lost to Texas but was also on the hook a couple of other times and got bailed out by a terrible defensive play at the end of the Auburn game (I blame Monty).

I disagree with all the takes that Washington wasn't top 2-3. Michigan and Georgia I think were the only 2 teams obviously better than Washington this year. Alabama had a lot of flaws that were exposed at small moments throughout the season but they really didn't play anyone good enough to exploit those consistently (see Auburn). Washington, until the championship game, was only threatened by one other team, and that was Oregon. Washington was remarkably consistent in performance throughout the season. I think Oregon was a top 4 team with their only losses coming to....Washington, by a combined 6 pts. But the CFP would never allow a 2 loss PAC 12 team, no matter how good they were, to get into the CFP over a 1 loss Texas (whose loss was a pretty bad one IMO) or a 1 loss Bama who lost to Texas but was also on the hook a couple of other times and got bailed out by a terrible defensive play at the end of the Auburn game (I blame Monty).
Bama had so many flaws that it beat UGA and it took Michigan an overtime period to beat them..

Washington just picked a bad day to not play very well. It wasn't all Michigans defense, Penix just missed alot of wide open guys that he usually doesn't miss. And number 73 on the oline just couldn't stop committing penalties.

Reactions: TU_BLA and loca2874
Washington just picked a bad day to not play very well. It wasn't all Michigans defense, Penix just missed alot of wide open guys that he usually doesn't miss. And number 73 on the oline just couldn't stop committing penalties.
Some of Penix' issues were the Michigan DL which shoves the OL back into the QB on seemingly every play. Coming into the game I knew the game would be decided by the play of Michigan's DL. When QBs hear footsteps and feel pressure, they start to invent pressure that's not there and start rushing throws, not stepping into throws, etc. causing accuracy issues. I still think Penix is the most accurate 20yd plus passer in this draft. I know everyone is enamored with Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels but I think Penix is going to be the Dan Marino of this draft where you could see 4 or 5 QB taken before him and Penix is going to be the one with the longest most successful career. Nix is probably 2nd in that mix. I'm not sold on Williams, Daniels, or Drake Maye just yet.

Some of Penix' issues were the Michigan DL which shoves the OL back into the QB on seemingly every play. Coming into the game I knew the game would be decided by the play of Michigan's DL. When QBs hear footsteps and feel pressure, they start to invent pressure that's not there and start rushing throws, not stepping into throws, etc. causing accuracy issues. I still think Penix is the most accurate 20yd plus passer in this draft. I know everyone is enamored with Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels but I think Penix is going to be the Dan Marino of this draft where you could see 4 or 5 QB taken before him and Penix is going to be the one with the longest most successful career. Nix is probably 2nd in that mix. I'm not sold on Williams, Daniels, or Drake Maye just yet.
If can’t handle pressure, he won’t do well in the NFL. And, he seems pretty injury prone.
That was by far the worst game I’ve seen him play and it was due to the pressure.

Reactions: HuffyCane
If can’t handle pressure, he won’t do well in the NFL. And, he seems pretty injury prone.
That was by far the worst game I’ve seen him play and it was due to the pressure.
And injury. I didn’t see the whole game but by the end, he clearly had a rib injury to go with his previous non throwing shoulder problem. He’s beat up.

Depends on what team he goes to. And I think NFL coaching will help him deal with it. Everyone can have a bad game occasionally, his just hit in the biggest game for him. Washington's OL had a lot of issues that they hadn't had to deal with before. They did pretty damn well against Texas and Texas' DL is pretty damn good too. His arm strength and accuracy will lend himself to being really good in the NFL, IMO. Honestly, I watch him and he reminds me of Steve Young...throwing style, accuracy, arm motion.

Pennix was bailing out on some throws in the second half when faced with pressure His accuracy suffered as a result. Assume this will give some NFL GMs concern. That said…when kept clean he is extremely accurate. Question remains…can he handle the pressure and hits he will face in the NFL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT