ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa Softball - Weeks 12/13

Tax Guy

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
Tulsa (42-5/15-2) stays home this weekend to face Middle Tennessee (8-35/2-15)

Saturday's double header starts at 1:00
Sunday's game starts at noon.

Wednesday is the final home game of the regular season vs. OSU starting at 5:00

Next weekend wraps up the regular season at North Texas (28-5/12-5) in Denton.

Saturday's double header starts at 1:00
Sunday's finale is at 1:00

Of course the games between now and then have to be played, but the games in Denton could be for the regular season conference champions.
I'll have to wait and see what my catcher-girl's 14U schedule is going to look like, but coming from Plano/Frisco area I hope to finally make it to a game!

While you can't assume anything, I can't imagine MTSU is going to even be competitive this weekend and I doubt that North Texas could sweep TU assuming Aimee Creger pitches at least one game in that series.

TU got A doubleheader sweep on Saturday vs. MTSU and I can only assume UNT lost a game and TU is the regular season conference champions. #55 C-USA conference championships.

Saturday's Results

Game 1

Middle Tennessee 0

Tulsa 8

5 innings

MTU had 0 hits 0 errors and 5 LOB

Tulsa had 10 hits 0 errors and 5 LOB

Julie Kernen was 3 for 3 with 2 doubles, scored once and 5 RBI
Erica Sampson was 3 for 3 with a double scored 3 times and had 1 RBI

Catherine Horner was 1 for 2 with a double and 1 RBI

Aimee Creger had the no hitter giving up 5 walks and had 9 K, passing 1000 Ks in her career.

Game 2

Middle Tennessee 1

Tulsa 6

MTU had 5 hits 1 error and 5 LOB

Tulsa had 8 hits 2 errors and 4 LOB

Julie Kernen was 1 for 2 with a HR scored once and 2 RBI and walked once

Catherine Horner was 1 for 3 with a HR scored once and 1 RBI

Haley Henshaw was 1 for 2 with a HR scored twice and 1 RBI and walked once

Bailey Erwin got the W pitching 6 innings giving up 0 ER 2 hits and 0 walks and 3 K
Caitlin Sill pitched the 7th giving up 1 ER on 3 hits and 1 walk and had 1 K

Sunday's result

Middle Tennessee 4

Tulsa 9

MTU had 4 hits 0 errors and had 8 LOB

Tulsa had 11 hits 1 error and had 7 LOB

Julie Kernen was 1 for 1 with a double scored once 1 walk and 1 HBP and 2 RBI

Emma Horton was 1 for 3 with a double scored twice 1 walk and 2 RBI

Maggie Withee was 2 for 2 with a double scored once and 1 RBI

Haley Henshaw was 2 for 3 with a triple and 2 RBI

Cierra Hughes was 1 for 3 with a HR scored once and 1 RBI

Caitlin Sill pitched 6 inning for the W giving up 2 ER on 3 hits 4 walks and had 4 K
Bailey Erwin pitched the 7th giving up 2 runs 0 ER on 1 hit 2 walks and had 1 K

With the wins Tulsa clinched the regular season C-USA record. North Texas did not hold up their end of the deal to force a conference show down this coming weekend, getting swept by Florida International.

This post was edited on 4/28 8:34 AM by Tax Guy

Polls are out

Tulsa is back to 16/18 from 15/18 last week.
RPI is down a spot to 24

Team Stats - Ranking

Batting Average .342 - 7th
On Base Percentage .416 - 15th
Slugging Percentage .526 - 13th
Runs/Game 6.38 - 18th
ERA 1.46 - 4th

Wednesday's result

Oklahoma State 0
Tulsa 1

OSU had 2 hits 0 errors and 2 LOB
Tulsa had 4 hits 0 errors and 5 LOB

Jill Barret was 1 for 3 and scored a run
Julie Kernen was 1 for 1 a double and walked twice and had the 1 RBI
Catherine Horner and Maggie Withee were both 1 for 2.

In the first innings Jill Barrett got a base hit. Was bunted over by Erica Sampson, and Julie Kernen got the RBI double.

Aimee Creger pitched the complete game giving up 2 hits 1 walk and had 9 K

Julie Kernen in these last 4 games was 6 for 7 with 3 doubles and 1 HR, 10 RBI, 4 walks and 1 HBP...wow.

This post was edited on 4/30 9:45 PM by Tax Guy

Girls had a rough weedend in Denton going 1-2

Saturday
Game 1

Tulsa 7
North Texas 3
9 innings

Tulsa had 7 hits 1 error and 7 LOB
UNT had 5 hits and 7 LOB

Erica Sampson was 3 for 4 with a HR scored twice and 1 RBI
Catherine Horner was 2 for 3 with a HR scored once and 1 RBI
Haley Henshaw was 2 for 4 with a triple and scored once.
Shelby Blanton was 1 for 5 a 4 RBI HR (in the 9th)

Aimee Creger went 3 innings giving up 3 ER on 3 hits 2 walks and had 6 K
Bailey Erwin got the win going 6 innings giving up 0 ER on 2 hits 2 walks and had 3 K

Game 2

Tulsa 2
North Texas 3

Tulsa had 3 hits 2 errors and 4 LOB
UNT had 4 hits 1 error and 7 LOB

Haley Henshaw was 1 for 3 with a solo HR
Julie Kernen was 1 for 2

Caitlin Sill took the loss but pitched well giving up 3 runs 2 ER on 4 hits 3 walks and had 3 K

Sunday

Tulsa 8
North Texas 11

Tulsa had 6 hits 4 errors and 7 LOB
UNT had 12 hits 1 error and 7 LOB

Catherine Horner was 2 for 3 scoring once and had 3 RBI
Cierra Hughes was 2 for 3 and had 3 RBI
Shelby Blanton was 1 for 1 scored twice walked 3 times

Aimee Creger only managed 1 out in the first inning and was credited for 5 ER on 2 hits and had 0 K
Bailey Erwin pitched 6 innings giving up 6 runs only 2 ER on 10 hits and 2 walks and also had 0 K

After 2 innings Tulsa was up 7 to 6, then scoreless in the next 3 innings. UNT tied in the bottom of the 6th, and Tulsa answered in the 7th so Tulsa was up 8-7 in the bottom of the 7th. North Texas was able to load the bases on a walk and 2 errors. Then UNT's Foster was able to hit her 15th HR of the year for the dramatic walk off grand glam.

Able to get there for Sunday's game and catcher-girl was able to collect several signatures from the ladies who were all very nice despite the frustrating outcome of the game. Hopefully the 0 K game was the C-USA's sendoff and that will not carry over to the tournament this weekend.

This post was edited on 5/5 10:14 AM by Tax Guy

Tax Guy, I follow the reports from the TU website and they have had an incredible year. Just curious on your thoughts about how many games, innings and pitches Aimee Creger has thrown this year. Is there a concern going into post season?

Originally posted by TU1NNJ:
Tax Guy, I follow the reports from the TU website and they have had an incredible year. Just curious on your thoughts about how many games, innings and pitches Aimee Creger has thrown this year. Is there a concern going into post season?
I'm thinking she's fine. Looking at the NCAA ranking for number of victories she's ranked 18th (23) with the highest percentage (.958) of victories to losses. Resorting that same list she has the 4th fewest number of appearances (28) and 8th fewest innings pitched (165) of anybody in the top 60 number of victories.

In thinking on this more, I'm not sure about number of pitches. Most strike out pitchers tend to throw a lot of pitches. I have not seen a stat line on that. From where I was sitting on Sunday, it looked like she couldn't buy a strike on the corner. I see that as more of a factor than fatigue for her.

I'm more concerned about the number of errors, and if fatigue is seeing in elsewhere.
This post was edited on 5/6 9:23 AM by Tax Guy

Tax Guy thanks for the insight. Hope they go a long way in post season.

Watching the C-USA championship game and Creger looks sharp. She works the entire strike zone and has a killer rise ball she uses to finish batters off. She's a typical dominant pitcher, tall, strong. Pitcher's duel through 3 1/2 and then TU loads the bases with Barrett and the top of the order coming in. TU scores 5. Barrett is as good a hitter as I've seen. She has great plate coverage and can pretty much pick her spot to hit the ball. 1B Kernen is going to be a fantastic player. Doesn't get cheated on her swings and seems to be able to square the ball up on every swing aka Barry Bonds. TU will be a tough out in NCAA tourney. Plays good solid fundamental ball and has a lot of excellent pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT