ADVERTISEMENT

GAMES OF INTEREST (1.27.24 - 1.30.24) @RICE

I'm not sure it's going to be as toasty as people think. We're talking Memphis legend, maybe the best player of all time there. He brings fans and sponsorships and draws NIL money to get players. Who are they going to get with that type of cache? Yeah, they're unhappy they're not the #1 team in the country but Penny is always going to get top line players and he's going to poach the top players at other schools.
and do what with them exactly? I think the shine is wearing off his name alot.

Unhappy they're not #1? They're barely a bubble team at this point and continuing to freefall.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm not sure it's going to be as toasty as people think. We're talking Memphis legend, maybe the best player of all time there. He brings fans and sponsorships and draws NIL money to get players. Who are they going to get with that type of cache? Yeah, they're unhappy they're not the #1 team in the country but Penny is always going to get top line players and he's going to poach the top players at other schools.
And maybe not get to the tourney with his most talented team yet... They are beginning to realize all that talent doesn't matter if two thirds of the time it doesn't get even get you in the NCAA, and it never gets you a win. When it does, you don't even have a single NCAA win, nah. People are gonna start labeling him, and the fans already aren't happy.

Memphis fans aren't as patient as you think. The administration will follow suit. Pay attention to the boards. They are finally admitting he might not be the right man for the job. Before this year most of them had excuses, now the excuses are running out.

They won't can him this year, but next year better not be the same story. All this preseason hype, and it gets him to the same place he always gets to, disappointment. They'll can the guy around year 8 give or take if the team doesn't make some waves in the NCAA tourney. They'll probably take a couple of years of him in the hot seat to get there. IMO he'll be warm this year, hot the next year, gone the next year.

With them at 1-7 in conference, I wonder if that will affect Wichita St.'s attendance tomorrow.

And maybe not get to the tourney with his most talented team yet... They are beginning to realize all that talent doesn't matter if two thirds of the time it doesn't get even get you in the NCAA, and it never gets you a win. When it does, you don't even have a single NCAA win, nah. People are gonna start labeling him, and the fans already aren't happy.

Memphis fans aren't as patient as you think. The administration will follow suit. Pay attention to the boards. They are finally admitting he might not be the right man for the job. Before this year most of them had excuses, now the excuses are running out.

They won't can him this year, but next year better not be the same story. All this preseason hype, and it gets him to the same place he always gets to, disappointment. They'll can the guy around year 8 give or take if the team doesn't make some waves in the NCAA tourney. They'll probably take a couple of years of him in the hot seat to get there. IMO he'll be warm this year, hot the next year, gone the next year.
He is probably going the Wojcik and Haith route. One good season occasionally to excite the AD. for an extension.

I don't disagree that he's not a good coach. He's a great recruiter. It's tough cutting ties with someone of his stature in the community and who has meant so much to Memphis basketball, for a couple decades or more. I guarantee there is one influential booster who basically blocks Penny's dismissal until he just completely flops (under .500 record). I know the fans grumble but until they are putting the large amounts of money towards NIL there, it's always going to be the guys who do pony up the $$$ that get to have the say. And my guess is there are donors/booster highly connected/invested in Penny to allow the ties to be cut just yet.

He is probably going the Wojcik and Haith route. One good season occasionally to excite the AD. for an extension.
See the pot above. The AD and President of the University aren't making this decision on Penny. It's ultimately going to be the Memphis NIL boosters

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT