ADVERTISEMENT

To all oklahoma state fans that think the little 12 is so much better then the AAC

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
The AAC champ beat the little 12 Champ on the road!
Tulane - 17
Kansas State- 10

The player that is coming from that university that smells like a septic tank by the football field to TU are the ones that are upgrading ! Not the other way around !

They fit really well with Cincinnati fans… thinking they’re program is bigger than it is.

There will be no dominate program in that new league, should be competitive for all 12.

I like the conference. Lots of competitive programs. Should have multiple schools competing for CFP spots every year. Arguably the next basketball conference in the country. Oh….and $50M per year per school in annual media rights revenue. Don’t believe they’re done expanding either. Conference has gone from the brink of death to the solid third power conference based on practically every metric.

I like the conference. Lots of competitive programs. Should have multiple schools competing for CFP spots every year. Arguably the next basketball conference in the country. Oh….and $50M per year per school in annual media rights revenue. Don’t believe they’re done expanding either. Conference has gone from the brink of death to the solid third power conference based on practically every metric.
Yeah they’ve managed quite well compared to what the PAC12 has done during the same timeframe. Just waiting for the official Amazon announcement for the pac and then several more teams leaving and all h e double hockey sticks breaking loose again.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Yeah they’ve managed quite well compared to what the PAC12 has done during the same timeframe. Just waiting for the official Amazon announcement for the pac and then several more teams leaving and all h e double hockey sticks breaking loose again.
Curious to see how the Amazon deal plays out. Will the money (it will be good) outweigh the lack of exposure being on the networks provide?

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Curious to see how the Amazon deal plays out. Will the money (it will be good) outweigh the lack of exposure being on the networks provide?
Exactly - final details aren’t out yet, but from what I’ve read, it’s supposed to be “slightly more” than what the Big12 is receiving… but all content (sans a handful of games sold to cbs) will be exclusively on Amazon.

It’s either gonna be a big win or a big flop.

True, but generally, only the champ will get the invite to the 12 team playoff, the dominate conferences of the SEC and the Big 10 will own the playoff structure.

True, but generally, only the champ will get the invite to the 12 team playoff, the dominate conferences of the SEC and the Big 10 will own the playoff structure.
Based on the past few years the conference would get multiple spots. There’s no doubt the Big10 and SEC are the dominate conferences.

LOL, based on Oklahoma and Texas being in the conference.
East,

You don’t think I omitted OU from my analysis and focused on the membership as it will exist in 2024? Texas has been largely irrelevant to any CFP discussion for years btw. Go back and look at the week 15 CFP polls the last few years and get back to me on my statement.

No, no, that won't work. Without OU and Texas, there are only mid-sized programs, nothing more. If you believe beating UCF, BYU, Houston or Cincinnati will elevate positioning compared to beating the giants leaving you're sorely mistaken.

Reactions: TU 1978
No, no, that won't work. Without OU and Texas, there are only mid-sized programs, nothing more. If you believe beating UCF, BYU, Houston or Cincinnati will elevate positioning compared to beating the giants leaving you're sorely mistaken.
No clue why you keep including a team who’s averaged almost 6 losses per season since 2010. Size of the program is meaningless to the CFP calculation. All about quality. Baylor and KState make the CFP this year with a weak OU and Texas. Cincy, Baylor and OSU make it in 2021. OSU ranked #9 and OU #16 in week 15 2021 with identical 10-2 records. I could go on all day with stats :)

Texas season records since 2010

8-4
5-7
7-3
8-5
10-4
7-6
5-7
5-7
6-7
8-5
9-4
8-5
5-7

Oh man, you think the SEC stole your two best teams because of short term history? The new 12 team playoff will always have a Big 12 participant in the new format, generally a 7-12 seeded team, that will get to play a Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, you name it. That's the future, but a two or three loss SEC or Big 10 team will get the nod over a non-champ Big 12 team with one or two losses every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerandlaur

50m is the total pay out and your rounded up. The media deal is worth about 30. You can kiss goodbye the biggest conference pay out after media, the orange will not be paying the big Xii with membership and the new play offs coming.

The PAC has a slightly higher offer than the big already for media from reports, the Amazon gambit is to try and put distance between them and the Xii while hoping to close on the ACC total.

The new play off will level the field we are going to see equal base payments to each participating conference and then a credit system similar to how they do basketball.

Go back and look at the rankings and insert the new standards, pretty easy, from 2014-2022 the Xii had four different teams not named Oklahoma qualify. TCU 3, Baylor 3, OSU 1 KSU 1. Last year almost saw your at large bumped, with Pitt just getting in the top 12. So in nine years you had eight bids and two years you had two bids doesn't exactly boost multiple bids predictions. In fact it seems unlikely the trend will change in. the new format to change especially with the loss of Oklahoma. OU had nearly as many appearences as the rest combined and finished rank in the top 10 virtually every year and only missed one ranking total; which is a huge boost to the SOS and reputation with a win over them that will be gone with them leaving.

50m is the total pay out and your rounded up. The media deal is worth about 30. You can kiss goodbye the biggest conference pay out after media, the orange will not be paying the big Xii with membership and the new play offs coming.

The PAC has a slightly higher offer than the big already for media from reports, the Amazon gambit is to try and put distance between them and the Xii while hoping to close on the ACC total.

The new play off will level the field we are going to see equal base payments to each participating conference and then a credit system similar to how they do basketball.

Go back and look at the rankings and insert the new standards, pretty easy, from 2014-2022 the Xii had four different teams not named Oklahoma qualify. TCU 3, Baylor 3, OSU 1 KSU 1. Last year almost saw your at large bumped, with Pitt just getting in the top 12. So in nine years you had eight bids and two years you had two bids doesn't exactly boost multiple bids predictions. In fact it seems unlikely the trend will change in. the new format to change especially with the loss of Oklahoma. OU had nearly as many appearences as the rest combined and finished rank in the top 10 virtually every year and only missed one ranking total; which is a huge boost to the SOS and reputation with a win over them that will be gone with them leaving.
All conference media figures are calculated on overall revenue per school and not media only. Media only is going from $22M per school to $31.7M per team despite losing Texas and Oklahoma. Overall revenue per school will be near $50M per school. As reported by ESPN’s Pete Thamel. OU SOS will be a substantial loss. Texas not so much. Still expect to see 2 teams per year in the CFP similar to the last few years when OU wasn’t a factor in the conference. The best comparison going forward is obviously those years when OU was down and did not contribute to the SOS of the other teams.

No clue why you keep including a team who’s averaged almost 6 losses per season since 2010. Size of the program is meaningless to the CFP calculation. All about quality. Baylor and KState make the CFP this year with a weak OU and Texas. Cincy, Baylor and OSU make it in 2021. OSU ranked #9 and OU #16 in week 15 2021 with identical 10-2 records. I could go on all day with stats :)

Texas season records since 2010

8-4
5-7
7-3
8-5
10-4
7-6
5-7
5-7
6-7
8-5
9-4
8-5
5-7
Sorry Lawpoke , going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the Big 12 being a multi bid league for the playoffs , take away ou , and the quality of teams is no better then the AAC on a consistent basis , to each their own though 😊

Sorry Lawpoke , going to have to respectfully disagree with you on the Big 12 being a multi bid league for the playoffs , take away ou , and the quality of teams is no better then the AAC on a consistent basis , to each their own though 😊
We will see. Zero AAC teams would have qualified for the expanded CFP over the last ten years. Seven Big12 teams (spots) would have qualified over the past three years alone. I know….pesky facts :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TULSARISING
All conference media figures are calculated on overall revenue per school and not media only. Media only is going from $22M per school to $31.7M per team despite losing Texas and Oklahoma. Overall revenue per school will be near $50M per school. As reported by ESPN’s Pete Thamel. OU SOS will be a substantial loss. Texas not so much. Still expect to see 2 teams per year in the CFP similar to the last few years when OU wasn’t a factor in the conference. The best comparison going forward is obviously those years when OU was down and did not contribute to the SOS of the other teams.

No conference revenue includes all revenue from media, bowls, and ncaa credits (in some conferences that includes championship games, basketball conference tournaments, etc).

Conference media pay out is just media, for which the current figure is 31m which will be substantially less than the ACC (just short of 40m) and slightly less than the PAC number which seems to be 33-35m.

While NCAA credits are a large chunk of pay outs, the actual legacy bowls pay huge numbers to those p5 conferences. Going forward that will change because of the CFP expansion and for the big Xii because they lost their cash cows.

Lastly like many people I think you underestimate how much credit you get for beating an OU or Texas simply on name recognition. That and the draw that brings indirectly and secondarily are gone.

No conference revenue includes all revenue from media, bowls, and ncaa credits (in some conferences that includes championship games, basketball conference tournaments, etc).

Conference media pay out is just media, for which the current figure is 31m which will be substantially less than the ACC (just short of 40m) and slightly less than the PAC number which seems to be 33-35m.

While NCAA credits are a large chunk of pay outs, the actual legacy bowls pay huge numbers to those p5 conferences. Going forward that will change because of the CFP expansion and for the big Xii because they lost their cash cows.

Lastly like many people I think you underestimate how much credit you get for beating an OU or Texas simply on name recognition. That and the draw that brings indirectly and secondarily are gone.
You are 100% incorrect. The number which conferences distribute to its members includes ALL revenue….media rights, bowls, etc…. This is the number everyone references when it comes to conference revenue. The average TOTAL revenue distribution per ACC school this past year was $36.1M. The projected TOTAL payouts to the Big12 under the new contract is approx $50M per ESPN.

I've got to disagree a bit here. I'm not a fanboy of the Big 12, but even minus OU and Texass, there remains K-State, Baylor, and L-OSU-R that have been consistently strong minus a down year or two and Tech and Iowa State often put together very good season. The AAC seems to have teams that emerge for a season and fade, and as much as I hate to say it not having the three defectors is going to hurt. If those squads were part of the AAC moving forward I think there would be an argument that the AAC would be similar to the Big 12 minus OU and Texass. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out when the BCS expands, but as it stands our conference has only had a seat at the table once.

I've got to disagree a bit here. I'm not a fanboy of the Big 12, but even minus OU and Texass, there remains K-State, Baylor, and L-OSU-R that have been consistently strong minus a down year or two and Tech and Iowa State often put together very good season. The AAC seems to have teams that emerge for a season and fade, and as much as I hate to say it not having the three defectors is going to hurt. If those squads were part of the AAC moving forward I think there would be an argument that the AAC would be similar to the Big 12 minus OU and Texass. It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out when the BCS expands, but as it stands our conference has only had a seat at the table once.
Good points , I’m not trying to say the Big 12 is a bad conference or the AAC is so much better then them , what I am trying to say is that there is not as much difference in the quality of teams like a lot of osu fans on social media are saying just because they are a “ power 5”. To prove that point , I put the two conference champions that played each other as an example. AAC champion beat the big 12 champion at Kansas State. I’m not saying that is the deciding factor , but it’s as good of a comparison as any when trying to compare the conferences .

Good points , I’m not trying to say the Big 12 is a bad conference or the AAC is so much better then them , what I am trying to say is that there is not as much difference in the quality of teams like a lot of osu fans on social media are saying just because they are a “ power 5”. To prove that point , I put the two conference champions that played each other as an example. AAC champion beat the big 12 champion at Kansas State. I’m not saying that is the deciding factor , but it’s as good of a comparison as any when trying to compare the conferences .
You’re judging an entire conference based on not only one team but one game in one year. Might I suggest a better metric is looking at all the teams of a conference for multiple years. I went through the number of times the new Big12 teams have finished in the top 12 over the past three years….7.

None of this says the new AAC can’t have a number of teams step up and make the CFP playoffs. Just that there’s currently no track record to suggest the same. However, as we’ve seen with Tulane a good coach and a little luck can lead to great success. The trick will be having the money to keep those coaches when other conferences are bringing in 10x or more of your revenue. It’s an unfair system and with NIL it’s even more amplified.

You’re judging an entire conference based on not only one team but one game in one year. Might I suggest a better metric is looking at all the teams of a conference for multiple years. I went through the number of times the new Big12 teams have finished in the top 12 over the past three years….7.

None of this says the new AAC can’t have a number of teams step up and make the CFP playoffs. Just that there’s currently no track record to suggest the same. However, as we’ve seen with Tulane a good coach and a little luck can lead to great success. The trick will be having the money to keep those coaches when other conferences are bringing in 10x or more of your revenue. It’s an unfair system and with NIL it’s even more amplified.
Imo , NIL has ruined college football

Imo , NIL has ruined college football
Agree 100%. NIL isn’t NIL. It’s morphed into alums simply buying players. There’s very little Name, Image and Likeness being used at places like A&M. Very wealthy alums are just funding huge collectives which then transfer those funds to the athletes. I was generally OK with say Brin appearing in a few Keystone Chevy commercials for a reasonable fee. We are oh so very far away from that original model. It’s sad.

Last edited:
Agree 100%. NIL isn’t NIL. It’s morphed into alums simply buying players. There’s very little Name, Image and Likeness being used at places like A&M. Very wealthy alums are just funding huge collectives which then transfer those funds to the athletes. I was generally OK with say Brin appearing in a few Keystone Chevy commercials for a reasonable fee. We are no so very far away from that original model. It’s sad.
Spot on - NIL now doesn’t have anything to do with actual NIL. It’s sad.

Reactions: drboobay
Talking about NIL, Mac Brown said today that two different schools had offered his QB $5 million dollars if he would hit the transfer portal and go to their school.

Agree 100%. NIL isn’t NIL. It’s morphed into alums simply buying players. There’s very little Name, Image and Likeness being used at places like A&M. Very wealthy alums are just funding huge collectives which then transfer those funds to the athletes. I was generally OK with say Brin appearing in a few Keystone Chevy commercials for a reasonable fee. We are oh so very far away from that original model. It’s sad.
The moment Nil was passed by the NCAA, it morphed. It just took a little while for schools/supporters to get it up to speed.

Texas average NIL payment per player for the 2023 recruiting class is $290k.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Why can't the NCAA simply enforce their rules?

If they do not think their rules would pass legal scrutiny it is better to just rescind them than to pretend.

Reactions: TU 1978
We will see. Zero AAC teams would have qualified for the expanded CFP over the last ten years. Seven Big12 teams (spots) would have qualified over the past three years alone. I know….pesky facts :)

Here’s some pesky facts for TU (the team most of us are rooting for):

The top 6 conference champions will automatically qualify for the 2024 season, 12 team playoffs.
The AAC will need to beat out the Mountain West & occasionally the Sunbelt for our conference to have an automatic bid.
This is the best chance Tulsa has had in decades to play in big, national, meaningful postseason games.

BTW, you are incorrect that zero AAC teams would have qualified. A current and future AAC team, Tulane, would’ve qualified this season, over future Big XII programs Cincinnati, Houston & UCF.

The last ten years are irrelevant. The next ten years are what counts.

Here’s some pesky facts for TU (the team most of us are rooting for):

The top 6 conference champions will automatically qualify for the 2024 season, 12 team playoffs.
The AAC will need to beat out the Mountain West & occasionally the Sunbelt for our conference to have an automatic bid.
This is the best chance Tulsa has had in decades to play in big, national, meaningful postseason games.

BTW, you are incorrect that zero AAC teams would have qualified. A current and future AAC team, Tulane, would’ve qualified this season, over future Big XII programs Cincinnati, Houston & UCF.

The last ten years are irrelevant. The next ten years are what counts.
No doubt the new CFP system is the best chance to date for a G5 school to reach the CFP. Very good news for TU and the rest of the AAC as I expect the AAC champ to be selected most years.

You are correct in Tulane as they would qualify due to being conference champs. I was looking solely at top 12 finals rankings.

$290,000 per season? That would be $1.16 million for 4 years or $1.45 million for 5 years. I’m sure players will be dropped immediately if they don’t measure up. Also, will players sue for injury settlements? This is beyond stupid.

Mack Brown’s comments on his QB being offered $5 million to transfer confirms how quickly these schools & boosters will ruin college football. OSU will need another TBoone to compete, if they really want to try.

$290,000 per season? That would be $1.16 million for 4 years or $1.45 million for 5 years. I’m sure players will be dropped immediately if they don’t measure up. Also, will players sue for injury settlements? This is beyond stupid.

Mack Brown’s comments on his QB being offered $5 million to transfer confirms how quickly these schools & boosters will ruin college football. OSU will need another TBoone to compete, if they really want to try.
OSU can’t compete with that kind of money. They’re poor compared to the Texas’s of the world. It’s a mess

Freshman pressure to perform or you are out of here. Then somebody take a gamble that he improves sophomore year and offers him less money. Then somebody will take a gamble with little to no Nil offered his Jr year. (That's where places like us come in.)

So most kids that seem like something to start out with, will be migrant students for three years if they can't perform immediately, and then settle in with one school their JR & SR year. What a mess.

This is a complete mess. On the other hand, however, it’s going to play out in a more purely market-driven way than even professional sports.

I mean, in pro sports you have agents negotiating contracts, which may or may not reflect the actual value a particular player has to a team. So player X gets his contracted pay, whether or not he performs well or not.

With NIL, Fred’s Chevy dealership isn’t going to continue paying some kid who never lives up to his recruiting hype. It’s not like the kid is negotiating a contract through an agent….at least not yet anyway.

This was a completely avoidable mess. But I’m beginning to think the NCAA allowed this on purpose, for the reason of creating chaos.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT